ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Judge Dredd (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231043)

Tribal Warfare 07-24-2010 05:29 AM

Judge Dredd

SCOOP: Karl Urban To Be Cast As Judge Dredd
Submitted by Rich Johnston on July 21, 2010

We’ve been hearing word about the new Judge Dredd movie for quite some time. A step up from the Sylvester Stallone movie, it’s intended to be closer to the darker tone of the comic book. And it was all the buzz at Cannes earlier this year.

Well, Bleeding Cool now understands that Karl Urban will be offered the role of Judge Dredd in the new movie. Or at least Judge Dredd’s chin. Because one of the main provisos of the deal is that, just as in the comic, Judge Dredd will not remove his helmet. But of course that chin will now be seen in glorious three dimensions. And, contract willing, Karl Urban is of a mind to accept it.

Best known of late for playing Bones McCoy in the recent JJ Abrams Star Trek movie as well as Cesar in Xena Warrior Princess and Eomer in Lord Of The Rings, as well as the upcoming Red, he certainly has the right geek-cred background. But this is the role that is likely to make him a geek god supreme.

Mama Hip Rockets 07-25-2010 09:30 PM

I just watched the Stallone version the other night. It sucks.

Bowser 07-25-2010 09:32 PM

They're remaking this turd? LOL

Taco John 07-25-2010 09:35 PM

I never watched the first one, but I like Karl Urban. He's got some range.

Hammock Parties 07-25-2010 09:44 PM

This doesn't need a remake. The first one was perfection.

Now a sequel, on the other hand...

KcMizzou 07-25-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6898152)

The turds are the ones that should be remade.

Bowser 07-25-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 6898210)
The turds are the ones that should be remade.

Agreed, but this particular turd needs to be flushed. I really, really wanted to like the first one, but couldn't. My favorite parts - when Rob Schneider mocks Dredd in Dredd's voice - "Ah AM the LAW!", and any scene with Diane Lane.

For a serious take - I know Judge Dredd has a very loyal follwing in the comic world, and the series as a whole is extremely dark. I can imagine that if they get the "feel" of the Judge Dredd universe down, it could be decent, if not good. The first was just WAY over the top campy, even for me. If they're going to remake Disney's The Black Hole, I guess that this was inevitable. I do like Karl Urban, though.

Buck 07-26-2010 12:23 AM

I still don't know how to use the 3 shells...oh wait wrong movie.

Buck 07-26-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6898152)

That would be like calling Batman Begins or The Dark Knight a remake...

Its a comic book so it doesn't need to be called a remake or sequel.

Tribal Warfare 01-22-2012 05:42 AM

JUDGE DREDD Creator John Wagner Comments on New Film, DREDD

JUDGE DREDD Creator John Wagner Comments on New Film, DREDD

In a rare interview with Judge Dredd comics creator, John Wagner, the writer reflected on the history of his creation and revealed just how excited he is for the new film, Dredd, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek). A British comic strip created by Wagner and artist Carlos Ezquerra for the sci-fi anthology “2000 AD,” Dredd was originally, according to Wagner:

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wagner
“a very two-dimensional character, a vehicle for extreme behavior in an extreme society, more of a robot than a man. Today he’s more rounded, more human, a man capable of introspection, of questioning his own beliefs.”

“Two-dimensional” would be a kind description for the previous feature: the 1995 Judge Dredd starring Sylvester Stallone. Wagner gave his thoughts on that performance, as well as why he’s looking forward to the new version. Hit the jump for much more.

HeroComplex recently held the interview with Wagner and it can be read in its entirety here. He had a lot to say concerning the history of the character and how he’s changed over the years, as well as what he would have changed storywise. Regarding the Stallone-version of Judge Dredd, Wagner said the following:

Quote:

“They told the wrong story — it didn’t have that much to do with Dredd the character as we know him. I don’t think Stallone was a bad Dredd, though it would have been better and lent him more cred if he hadn’t revealed his face. He was just Dredd in the wrong story. I envy their budget, though. Some of the CGI was very good, and the re-creations of the Angel Gang and the robot. The robot actually came from a [Judge Dredd editor] Pat Mills story and didn’t belong in Dredd, but it looked good. If the plot had revolved around characters like them the film would have been more successful.”

Now, compare that to what he’s saying about the Urban-version:

Quote:

“The plot is about Dredd and his world. It’s impossible to cover every aspect of the character and his city – perhaps that was one of the failings of the first film; they tried to do too much and ended up with not a lot. Dredd homes in on the essential job of judging – instant justice in a violent future city. I like the actors, they’re well cast and they handled their parts well. Olivia Thirlby (Juno) is perfect as Anderson, the young psi judge. She gives the character a touching vulnerability. Karl Urban will not remove his helmet and will not kiss his costar.”

Here’s the official synopsis for Dredd:

DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot – if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Peter Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s revered comic strip.

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploa...dd-424x600.jpg

jspchief 01-22-2012 06:48 AM

Comic book to movie. How original.

I'm on the edge my seat awaiting another movie with a bigger CGI budget than plot budget.

whoman69 01-22-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8316775)
Comic book to movie. How original.

I'm on the edge my seat awaiting another movie with a bigger CGI budget than plot budget.

This is one of the best comic books of all-time. Dredd was a great character thoroughly underdone by Stallone. Its not often that a cult classic is sucessful by trying the blockbuster approach. If you haven't read Judge Dredd you really need to.

jspchief 01-22-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8317159)
This is one of the best comic books of all-time. Dredd was a great character thoroughly underdone by Stallone. Its not often that a cult classic is sucessful by trying the blockbuster approach. If you haven't read Judge Dredd you really need to.

Intredasting. The movie still has a 99% chance of being trash.

Fish 01-22-2012 02:50 PM

The first one was some awesome cheese... Corny as hell but entertaining.

Tribal Warfare 06-11-2012 10:03 PM

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content...er-570x844.jpg

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content...Dredd-2012.jpg

http://content7.flixster.com/rtmovie.../90849_gal.jpg

whoman69 06-12-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Uncut Meat (Post 6898177)
This doesn't need a remake. The first one was perfection.

Now a sequel, on the other hand...

I can think of a lot of words for Stallone's version. Perfection doesn't come to mind.

whoman69 06-12-2012 02:51 PM

I hope the Dark Judges are the villains.

http://www.2000ad.org/images/wallpaper/death.jpg

Tribal Warfare 06-22-2012 01:11 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PifvRiHVSCY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sucky 06-22-2012 01:30 PM

Hmm it could go either way. I'm hoping its good though

Sofa King 06-22-2012 01:42 PM

doesn't look very good at all.

Hammock Parties 06-22-2012 01:44 PM

Looks worse than the original by a large margin.

At least the original didn't try to take itself seriously.

Frazod 06-22-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toad King (Post 8695530)

Watch recycled movies. They're good for Hollywood, and okay for you.

the Talking Can 06-22-2012 02:02 PM

urban trying to sound like Eastwood

and the drug is called "slo-mo"...because is slows time down...that's mega creative naming....

smells like a fart

Deberg_1990 06-22-2012 02:04 PM

I Im Da LAW!

whoman69 06-22-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

I don't even know what that means. Judge Dredd should be campy?

SnakeXJones 06-22-2012 08:59 PM

Don't look to bad to me

Bowser 06-23-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Maybe it will tie into Prometheus. Maybe Dredd is a replicant, or David's "brother", lulz.

Eh, I've seen worse. The Stallone version was so freaking campy it just turned ridiculous. This looks watchable, maybe as a rental.

Tribal Warfare 08-27-2012 08:13 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7HvVRc-gVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cardken2 08-27-2012 08:58 PM

Since the Nolan Batman Series, everyone thinks if they go "dark" then the Comicbook premise will garner artistic credit. With some , like Batman, it works. But you can't brush stroke everyone with the "darker tones."
Superman seems to be taking that route, and I can't see the "biggest Boyscout" of all time being brudeing or dark, sorry, doesn't fly (pun intended).
I saw "The Avengers" the other day, great tone some "moody" moments but weren't over the top and were left at appropriate levels. Comic book films are to be fun, not all are meant to be on par with "Masterpiece Theater."

Tribal Warfare 09-04-2012 01:41 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jFSzsFP2x34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sd4chiefs 09-10-2012 10:27 AM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Early reviews are in. 100% with 33 reviews. :eek:

QuikSsurfer 09-10-2012 10:28 AM

Fuuuuuu -- Well I was going to see it regardless.

BWillie 09-11-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 8897803)

http://freakoutnation.com/wp-content...ly1.jpg?5f37dd

I thought it looked turrible, maybe i vill hafta c it

Tribal Warfare 09-11-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

95% now

Consenus: Fueled by bombastic violence and impressive special effects, rooted in self-satire and deadpan humor, Dredd 3D is a rare example of a remake that actually works.

the Talking Can 09-11-2012 11:03 AM

making a good 'bad' movie is hard...

sounds like they may have accomplished it

whoman69 09-11-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

They call it a remake. This is not a remake. They took the Stallone version and tossed it in the garbage can where it belongs.

Frazod 09-11-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8901570)
They call it a remake. This is not a remake. They took the Stallone version and tossed it in the garbage can where it belongs.

I kind of liked the Stallone version. It was bad, but in an enjoyable, silly guilty pleasure sort of way. The whole "eat recycled food" bit cracked me up.

Of course, I never read the comics.

Gravedigger 09-11-2012 06:18 PM

I'll go see this movie, fo sho!

Valiant 09-11-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardken2 (Post 8858155)
Since the Nolan Batman Series, everyone thinks if they go "dark" then the Comicbook premise will garner artistic credit. With some , like Batman, it works. But you can't brush stroke everyone with the "darker tones."
Superman seems to be taking that route, and I can't see the "biggest Boyscout" of all time being brudeing or dark, sorry, doesn't fly (pun intended).
I saw "The Avengers" the other day, great tone some "moody" moments but weren't over the top and were left at appropriate levels. Comic book films are to be fun, not all are meant to be on par with "Masterpiece Theater."

Dredd is dark though.. I agree with superman though, he ideal is the good of man, if you go dark with him it ruins one of his weaknesses..

whoman69 09-12-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8902661)
Dredd is dark though.. I agree with superman though, he ideal is the good of man, if you go dark with him it ruins one of his weaknesses..

Its hard to be post apocalypse and not be dark

Tribal Warfare 09-12-2012 10:42 PM

<object id="vid_6085166ecc8e23922ec79d520cc0bc11" class="ign-videoplayer" width="468" height="293" data="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/10/karl-urban-on-the-future-of-judge-dredd"/></object>

Bowser 09-15-2012 10:35 PM

Definitely going to give this one a shot.

Valiant 09-21-2012 08:21 PM

Just got back from seeing it.. It is a really good action film.. Paced great throughout the movie..

Buck 09-21-2012 09:07 PM

I'm gonna see this next Friday. I have Friday's off of work and if you go to a movie before 12 pm on a weekday, it's only $6 for a ticket. I went to End of Watch today, Dredd waits til next week.

Tribal Warfare 09-22-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8934148)
Just got back from seeing it.. It is a really good action film.. Paced great throughout the movie..

Yep, people who don't know any better compare it to the The Raid: Redemption

JD10367 09-22-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8934565)
Yep, people who don't know any better compare it to the The Raid: Redemption

"The Raid" was awesome. I'm still not sure whether the Indonesians have great special-effects guys, or they simply killed all the extras. :D

The other projectionist I work with (who is a huge sci-fi geek) saw "Dredd 3D" while test-running it and called me to say how good it was, which--like the rest of you--surprised me. I'm sure it won't make much money, although it may make a little more than expected once the good word-of-mouth gets out, but I'm definitely going to have to catch it.

QuikSsurfer 09-22-2012 10:49 PM

Just got back from seeing this. 10/10
****ing awesome flick. I definitely got a Raid vibe from it - solely from it taking place in a huge building where ultra-violence took place.
The pacing was near perfect. If you go see it, dish out the extra bucks for 3d.

Bowser 09-22-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8936653)
Just got back from seeing this. 10/10
****ing awesome flick. I definitely got a Raid vibe from it - solely from it taking place in a huge building where ultra-violence took place.
The pacing was near perfect. If you go see it, dish out the extra bucks for 3d.

Nice. I've been waiting for that ne summer movie to sneak up and be a great escape for a couple of hours. One that nobody really saw coming. Looking forward to seeing it in 3D, on your recommendation (normally I'd avoid 3D like an Ethipoian hooker).

Gravedigger 09-23-2012 12:25 AM

I saw this today and I came away feeling I got my money's worth. It took a bit to get going but about halfway in it clicks on all cylinders and doesn't let go till the end. I liked Karl Urban, he was the perfect amount of gruff, violent, and dark humored that I felt he was the best part of the movie, just like it should be. I didn't care for the rookie much of the film until towards the end when she wasn't just a kid spouting laws to pass a test. The slo-mo stuff was cool for a time or two but then it just came down to bullet time-like effects.

Everyone kept saying how ultra-violent this was, I didn't see it as ultra-violent. There was alot of blood, bullets piercing in slow motion, alot of people being dropped from great heights, and a wacky death in there from time to time. Ultra violent suggests gory, like some of the Saw films or Seven, I didn't get that from this, just a cop exacting justice in the coolest ways he could think of. The uniqueness showcases Judge Dredd's methods as a man to be feared and not the Sylvester Stallone version who sent more people to jail than executed. If you're looking for it to be the opposite of what Sly Stallone put out there then you'll be more than pleased with what is provided.

If there was one thing I would've liked would have been to see more people know Judge Dredd and the terror he was. When he walks in to the Peach Trees the citizens and bad guys alike aren't really afraid of him. Ma-Ma doesn't even know what a badass he is until someone points it out later in the film. Also the woman who plays Cersei in Game of Thrones was the villain Ma-Ma in this film and I don't think she touched her potential like she does in GoT.

Overall I'll go see the sequel because Karl Urban says he wants to explore the choice storyline and dark judges from the comics, and I think if they want to build a franchise that's the right way to go for the sequel. This one wasn't as much of an origin story as it was a story you already know, they just hit you in the face with it instead of trying to build a somehow sympathetic Dredd like Stallone and Co. attempted foolishly.

Tribal Warfare 09-23-2012 12:35 AM

Opening Day Dredd Box Office

Lionsgate’s British/South African co-production low-budget reboot of John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s cult favorite comics Dredd 3D (2,506 locations) did dreadful on Friday. Surprising, because Comic-Con fans seemed to accept this new Dredd as the real deal last summer, unlike the Sly Stallone version. Reviews were good, and audiences gave the pic a ‘B’ CinemaScore which won’t help or hurt word of mouth. Karl Urban stars as the titular character with Olivia Thirlby in an R-rated dark and gritty pic without lycra or gold codpieces. But his exaggerated Clint Eastwood-style line readings may not have been obviously satirical enough. The bad news for Reliance Entertainment is that Deepak Nayer and Stuart Ford who put the picture together committed Reliance to fund the $40M gap and backstop the P&A. The good news for Lionsgate is that it has minimal risk. The studio is only responsible for P&A costs. Interestingly, LG’s marketing campaign created a comic strip prequel to the film with the publisher 2000 AD as well as a Motion Comic that was released online. Dredd 3D also opened the Midnight Madness section of the Toronto Film Festival and as well as Fantastic Fest in Austin. But there was never much of an effort to widen the film’s appeal or the audience for it. Directed by Pete Travis from a screenplay written by Alex Garland, the film is produced by Andrew Macdonald, Allon Reich, and Alex Garland. Best about the film are those stunning slow motion photography sequences. For a sequel to go ahead, Alex Garland recently said that the film would need to earn at least $50 million at the North American box office.

JD10367 09-23-2012 08:06 AM

Not unexpected. But there's crap at the movies right now so the film should have a couple of weeks to build an audience.

Deberg_1990 09-24-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8937196)
Not unexpected. But there's crap at the movies right now so the film should have a couple of weeks to build an audience.

Yea, Septemeber is usually pretty slow, but this year has been evern worse than normal.

Doesnt look like things will heat up until Taken 2 and Frankenweenie open in a few weeks, then the usual run of horror films leading up to Halloween.

Molitoth 01-20-2013 10:43 PM

Just watched it, not bad at all!

RedDread 04-06-2013 10:11 PM

Finally saw this thing and it was very good. Usually I don't like movies that are just over the top gory, but this one was fantastic. Urban did a hell of a job.

Sure-Oz 04-07-2013 06:43 PM

Saw it earlier on Netflix rent...def. exceeded expectations. I hope they make a sequel. Looked like it would've been sweet to see in 3d in theaters.

Tribal Warfare 07-23-2013 07:54 AM

Karl Urban On ‘Dredd’ Sequel: ‘It’s Up To The Fans’

2012′s Dredd was an attempt to reboot the cult-favorite character who originated in the British science fiction anthology 2000 A.D. In 1995, Sylvester Stallone starred as the helmeted dispenser of justice in a dystopian, seemingly post-apocalyptic future, who acted as judge, jury and executioner on the spot. While that movie remains a camp-tastic guilty pleasure, the Karl Urban-starring remake adopted the far darker, hyper-violent tone of the comics.

The film failed to catch on with the general movie-going public despite proving to be quite an excellent comic-book action flick. It’s total worldwide box office gross was about $32 million, on a $50 million budget. It’s surprising success on DVD and Blu-Ray (selling up to 650,000 copies, “making it the best-selling new release title of the year,” according to a press release at the time), seemed to reignite new hope for a sequel.

Dredd was released on home video over six months ago, but no official word on a sequel has been heard despite its post-theatrical release success. Star Karl Urban hasn’t given up hope, however. While at Comic-Con 2013 to help promote his upcoming Fox series Almost Human, Urban voiced his belief that it’ll only happen if the fans want it badly enough, saying:

Quote:

Karl Urban: The more people that campaign for it, the more people that email, Twitter, write-in to Lionsgate saying ‘we want to see more of this,’ then the more likelihood we will get to see it; we’re certainly doing everything we can to make sure it happens.
Judge Dredd Breaching Room Karl Urban On Dredd Sequel: Its Up To The Fans

On paper, Dredd seemed to be a safe bet: Urban stole his scenes as Dr. McCoy in the rebooted Star Trek, this project promised the prospect of the always-popular gritty reboot, and it even featured Game of Thrones star Lena Headey as the main villain, a twisted, drug-dealing matriarch. Also, the film would keep to the core of the source material, in which Judge Dredd never once removes his helmet.

It’s interesting to note that star Urban and writer Alex Garland (The Beach, 28 Days Later) were actively discussing their sequel ideas up until the film’s release – everyone behind Dredd really seemed to think they had a big hit on their hands. Garland talked about a potential trilogy, which could include pivotal comic-book villains like the Dark Judges (undead former Judges so extreme in their world-view that all of humanity needs to be eradicated due to living humans’ potential to commit crimes) and the murderous tyrannosaurus rex Satanus.

Judge Dredd 2000 AD Karl Urban On Dredd Sequel: Its Up To The Fans

So how likely is this? Searching Twitter for #dredd, #dreddsequel and #dredd2 does yield a good number of hits, especially during the past few days, there is a Facebook page clambering for a second entry, and some reports from last month have the Dredd DVD spiking in Amazon sales when the sequel rumors started flying. Judging (ahem) by Urban’s plea to fans, no one has given him a contract to sign yet, though.

Still, such strong home video sales point toward the steady building of a cult audience – and it’s a world which deserves some expansion, especially considering Urban’s interest in seeing Dredd take to exile in response to his character’s disillusionment in the “big lie,” namely that the Judges are doing what’s best for humanity.

L.A. Chieffan 07-23-2013 08:11 AM

All they have to do is wait for Raid part 2 and then they can make the sequel

Garcia Bronco 07-23-2013 10:32 AM

I thought this was a decent movie.

Bambi 07-23-2013 08:27 PM

Dredd was one of my favorite movies in the last 5 years. It could have been much more but hopefully the sequel will get greenlit.

whoman69 07-23-2013 10:15 PM

I was glad to see Urban play the role closer to the character. He didn't take the easy way out and play without the helmet like Stallone did. In the Stallone version its more just another Stallone action pic. In this one its a Judge Dredd film.

silver5liter 07-23-2013 10:17 PM

Very good movie. I have watched it probably 5 times. Really hope a sequel happens.

BWillie 07-24-2013 07:05 PM

I don't know, I didn't think it was "wonderful". BUT, just from the first previous I saw and how bad the one before that was, I thought it was going to be down right terrible. When I saw reviews I figured I'd have to see it. It was good, but I was let down.

I would have been very surprised, but then I saw those damn reviews.

Tribal Warfare 07-26-2013 06:20 AM

http://2000adonline.us5.list-manage....&id=62906ebdcc

online petition for a Dredd sequel

Deberg_1990 09-03-2013 09:11 PM

Just watched this on Netflix. Kick ass flick. Urban was outstanding.

notorious 09-03-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9936521)
Just watched this on Netflix. Kick ass flick. Urban was outstanding.

I watched it a few days ago. It was pretty badass.

Wallcrawler 09-04-2013 07:35 PM

Sequel could happen. Looked pretty grim at first, with the film only making 32 million worldwide in theaters, when it cost 50 million to make.

Nobody went to see it in theaters, likely expecting as big of a junk film as the Stallone movie from the 90's.

Turns out when people saw it for a buck at Redbox, it blew their minds and they had to have it.

Based on DVD/Blu-Ray sales, a sequel could still be possible. This was a press release regarding the sales of Dredd 3D.

The verdict is in and Lionsgate (LGF), a leading global entertainment company, announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd , was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well. Said Ron Schwartz , Lionsgate Executive Vice President & General Manager, Home Entertainment. “We’re also pleased that a film released on 3-D Blu-ray was able to top the sales charts, a clear reflection of how quality films in this up and coming format can find their audience.”

Im hoping they do one. Urban has said he's open to making another Dredd film, but when a studio goes nearly 20 million into the red on a movie at the box office, sequels aren't really tops on their to do list.

L.A. Chieffan 09-04-2013 07:48 PM

Raid was much better.

Deberg_1990 09-04-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 9938668)
Sequel could happen. Looked pretty grim at first, with the film only making 32 million worldwide in theaters, when it cost 50 million to make.

Nobody went to see it in theaters, likely expecting as big of a junk film as the Stallone movie from the 90's.

Turns out when people saw it for a buck at Redbox, it blew their minds and they had to have it.

Based on DVD/Blu-Ray sales, a sequel could still be possible. This was a press release regarding the sales of Dredd 3D.

The verdict is in and Lionsgate (LGF), a leading global entertainment company, announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd , was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well. Said Ron Schwartz , Lionsgate Executive Vice President & General Manager, Home Entertainment. “We’re also pleased that a film released on 3-D Blu-ray was able to top the sales charts, a clear reflection of how quality films in this up and coming format can find their audience.”

Im hoping they do one. Urban has said he's open to making another Dredd film, but when a studio goes nearly 20 million into the red on a movie at the box office, sequels aren't really tops on their to do list.

Yea, that's too bad. I honestly thought it looked like garbage while it was being advertised last year for theaters. Boy was I wrong.

It was a nice gritty, tight, well made action flick. It was almost like a throwback to old hard R rated action flicks from the 80s and 90s. Too many movies are watered down for a PG13 rating nowadays.

Sure-Oz 09-05-2013 09:06 PM

I thought Dredd would be crap too, i netflixed and was satisfied. Hope it gets a sequel

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-05-2013 09:42 PM

Not a big fan. Effects for the sake of effects don't do anything for me.

Tribal Warfare 09-06-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9835341)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9942720)
I thought Dredd would be crap too, i netflixed and was satisfied. Hope it gets a sequel

here you go, and it's backed by the producers

Pepe Silvia 09-06-2013 09:04 PM

Just watched the remake after scoping this thread, I have to say it was wayyyyy better than Stallone's cheesy ass version.

Sure-Oz 09-06-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9943615)
here you go, and it's backed by the producers

Excellent!

Frazod 09-06-2013 10:36 PM

Watched it today for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Far better than the Stallone version.

mdchiefsfan 09-07-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9835341)

signed

siberian khatru 09-07-2013 06:06 PM

Heh. I just watched this last night. I thought it was excellent.

lawrenceRaider 09-09-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9938718)
Yea, that's too bad. I honestly thought it looked like garbage while it was being advertised last year for theaters. Boy was I wrong.

It was a nice gritty, tight, well made action flick. It was almost like a throwback to old hard R rated action flicks from the 80s and 90s. Too many movies are watered down for a PG13 rating nowadays.

Crap, now I'll have to try watching it again. Gave it a go a while back, and turned it off due to boredom. Maybe I just didn't watch long enough?

Frazod 09-09-2013 12:41 PM

The more I think about this the more I like it. Refreshingly straight forward. Good guy - bad guy - **** you die. Slick and stylish, great special effects, good performances. The look of it was reminiscent of Blade Runner. I'll add this to the blu-ray collection.

007 09-09-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9956346)
The more I think about this the more I like it. Refreshingly straight forward. Good guy - bad guy - **** you die. Slick and stylish, great special effects, good performances. The look of it was reminiscent of Blade Runner. I'll add this to the blu-ray collection.

Blade Runner is exactly what I was seeing as well.

Pretty good movie that I would never have given a chance if it were not for the recent posts in this thread.

Deberg_1990 09-09-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9956346)

Exactly. it was definately a throwback. It was refreshing Hard R rated.