ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games New XBox 720 to kill off second hand games? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270017)

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 09:43 AM

New XBox 720 to kill off second hand games?

I wont buy one if these rumours are true....and they probably are.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

Huffmeister 02-14-2013 09:50 AM

There's no way I would buy a console that wouldn't let me play second hand games. But I have a feeling that they'r going to back off on this. There's been too much backlash so far. I almost wonder if Microsoft floated the idea out there to gauge people's reaction before setting anything in stone.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 10:05 AM

This really isn't in Microsoft's hands anyway, it's in the hands of the publisher.

EA, for example, is ALREADY TAKING STEPS TO DO THIS, as anybody who has purchased an EA Sports title used can attest.

That being said, Microsoft has built functionality into Windows 8 that can be leveraged in the future to make them the preferred game distribution method on Windows, locking out others like Steam and essentially making Windows PCs an Xbox-like environment.

bishop_74 02-14-2013 10:09 AM

Old news. As I have said before media is going the way of the dodo. Everything will be downloadable in the very near future and drives will not be included in anything.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402294)
This really isn't in Microsoft's hands anyway, it's in the hands of the publisher.

EA, for example, is ALREADY TAKING STEPS TO DO THIS, as anybody who has purchased an EA Sports title used can attest.

That being said, Microsoft has built functionality into Windows 8 that can be leveraged in the future to make them the preferred game distribution method on Windows, locking out others like Steam and essentially making Windows PCs an Xbox-like environment.

I really dont get the software industry. Anything else, you buy it, you can do whatever you want with it. YOur car, your clothes, toys, furniture,etc...there is usually a second hand market.

Why does the original owner care if they have already made their money?

J Diddy 02-14-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9402323)
I really dont get the software industry. Anything else, you buy it, you can do whatever you want with it. YOur car, your clothes, toys, furniture,etc...there is usually a second hand market.

Because people who buy used games aren't buying the same titles from them, therefore they are losing out.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Well, for one you can't copy that car you bought and give it to your friend for free...

Buehler445 02-14-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

They want the new car market AND the used car market so to speak.

Buck 02-14-2013 12:01 PM

Hopefully console gaming dies with this generation.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9402667)

Not happening. In fact, Microsoft is taking steps with Windows going forward to make PC gaming look like console gaming.

Buck 02-14-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402722)
Not happening. In fact, Microsoft is taking steps with Windows going forward to make PC gaming look like console gaming.

I don't see much improvement as far as innovation is concerned with new consoles. What are they going to provide that we don't already have with the 360 or PS3?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if there aren't those major innovations and they're just guts upgrades, I don't see why the scales won't start tipping in the favor of fully customisable PCs.

Dayze 02-14-2013 12:31 PM

this upgrade in consoles will finally make post-game handshakes between coachs light years better in Madden.

KC native 02-14-2013 12:50 PM

No way they do that. M$ has already dealt with one antitrust case. If they pull something like this it would open the door to another.

Dayze 02-14-2013 12:53 PM

what will this change if the game developers don't change their engines etc? serious question etc.

seems like a lot of games - aaheam.....EA - look the same year in and year out.
can the PS3/Xbox no handle anything else?

htismaqe 02-14-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9402761)
I don't see much improvement as far as innovation is concerned with new consoles. What are they going to provide that we don't already have with the 360 or PS3?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if there aren't those major innovations and they're just guts upgrades, I don't see why the scales won't start tipping in the favor of fully customisable PCs.

The major innovations are in content delivery. Microsoft and Sony are able to monetize every inch of the screen and every bit that travels the network.

The scales are already tipping AWAY from fully-customizable PCs because those are more difficult to monetize.

Content is the future.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9402824)
No way they do that. M$ has already dealt with one antitrust case. If they pull something like this it would open the door to another.

All that the IE case did was make them smarter on how to skirt the system.

Imon Yourside 02-14-2013 01:52 PM

No worries, I'm sure a modchip would render that *Feature* useless. ;)

htismaqe 02-14-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9402951)

Going 100% downloadable digital media renders "modchips" useless.

Think of it as copy protection for the console itself.

Demonpenz 02-14-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9402951)

this

Imon Yourside 02-14-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9403276)
Going 100% downloadable digital media renders "modchips" useless.

Think of it as copy protection for the console itself.

The Hacking community always finds a way, see the JTAG and PSN hacks for examples. ;)

silver5liter 02-14-2013 04:47 PM

New playstation is going to do the same shit

ModSocks 02-14-2013 04:50 PM

So you have to have an internet connection to even use these new consoles?

Wow....that sucks for the poor ghetto kids.

silver5liter 02-14-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.
I mean this is already happening now.... Except they do still hold some value, the makers just sell an online code like EA is currently doing.

The_Doctor10 02-14-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9403392)
So you have to have an internet connection to even use these new consoles?

Wow....that sucks for the poor ghetto kids.

Maybe they'll read more books?

Imon Yourside 02-14-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9403399)
I mean this is already happening now.... Except they do still hold some value, the makers just sell an online code like EA is currently doing.

It's not like anyone could modify the firmware to tell it to ignore that protection or that it's already been done. ;)

WoodDraw 02-14-2013 06:37 PM

Unrelated, but I learned today for the first time while researching a "box" to hook up to a tv-only setup that you have to pay for Xbox gold in order to use Netflix, etc? Wtf is that?

I'd gladly never buy anything from Microsoft ever again

silver5liter 02-14-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9403674)
Unrelated, but I learned today for the first time while researching a "box" to hook up to a tv-only setup that you have to pay for Xbox gold in order to use Netflix, etc? Wtf is that?

I'd gladly never buy anything from Microsoft ever again

Its 50 bucks a year, who cares

Pants 02-14-2013 06:52 PM

This is complete bullshit. It's not up to Microsoft to begin with and these same rumors were going around the PS4 a few months ago and were quickly shut down by Sony.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9403690)
Its 50 bucks a year, who cares

So basically your paying for your internet connection, your xbox subscription, and then your Netflix subscription? You dont see a problem here?

Sony doesn't charge you to access their network.

DaFace 02-14-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9402761)

Na, consoles will never go away. It's the only way to provide the same experience for everyone. A PC game might play fine on your setup and play like shit on mine. Most people don't want to deal with that kind of thing.

keg in kc 02-14-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402294)

EA has definitely been ahead of the curve on this. In addition to sports, they've been selling online passes for games in the rpg/action/horror genres for a couple of years now, so people who get the game second hand can't get into the mulitiplayer aspect of the game without paying.

I'm okay with it. My bigger concern is gaming turning more towards facebook, mobile and app-based stuff. Hopefully that's a fad that dies painfully.

silver5liter 02-14-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9403899)
So basically your paying for your internet connection, your xbox subscription, and then your Netflix subscription? You dont see a problem here?

Its because Sony's network sucks ass compared to Xbox live...

007 02-14-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404048)

AAAAAaaaaand here we go with that stupid ass shit again.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404048)

Myth

silver5liter 02-14-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9404208)
Myth

Some like one, some like the other. Xbox live is more reliable imo. Also if PS owners want the same things that xbox has, well most of it, they have to pay 50 dollars a year for playstation plus. So I dont see the big deal.

On the topic of netflix only boxes, my Roku HD I have in my bedroom works great

Bewbies 02-14-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9403899)

I know. I ****ing hate how you have to buy a tv, pay for electricity and pay for cable! LMAO

Imon Yourside 02-14-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9403928)
Na, consoles will never go away. It's the only way to provide the same experience for everyone. A PC game might play fine on your setup and play like shit on mine. Most people don't want to deal with that kind of thing.

I do, because I know how to build/setup a PC for about the same price as a console that will blow it away.

silver5liter 02-14-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9404220)
I know. I ****ing hate how you have to buy a tv, pay for electricity and pay for cable! LMAO

And maybe buy a tv stand damnit. Also having to pay rent to house it in, what a bitch. #sacrasm

DaFace 02-14-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9404227)
I do, because I know how to build/setup a PC for about the same price as a console that will blow it away.

Sure, PC games have their place in the world for people like you - those won't go away either. But 90% of the people don't want to build something. They want to take it out of the box and be playing their game 2 minutes later.

mnchiefsguy 02-14-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404214)
Some like one, some like the other. Xbox live is more reliable imo. Also if PS owners want the same things that xbox has, well most of it, they have to pay 50 dollars a month for playstation plus. So I dont see the big deal.

On the topic of netflix only boxes, my Roku HD I have in my bedroom works great

Playstation plus is not 50 bucks a month. Right now, you can get it for 50 bucks for a year, and they are throwing in three free months...so price wise it is very competitive with XBOX live.

kcxiv 02-15-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9402667)

hope not i dont like sitting at a desk to game anymore! im over that shit. I like relaxing on my recliner.

silver5liter 02-15-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9404580)
Playstation plus is not 50 bucks a month. Right now, you can get it for 50 bucks for a year, and they are throwing in three free months...so price wise it is very competitive with XBOX live.

Thats what I meant to say, not 50 a month, a year. So its about the same as xbox live.

Imon Yourside 02-15-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9404505)
Sure, PC games have their place in the world for people like you - those won't go away either. But 90% of the people don't want to build something. They want to take it out of the box and be playing their game 2 minutes later.

That is why I educate, we can convert the derps over to productive PC members. ;)

silver5liter 02-15-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9404607)
That is why I educate, we can convert the derps over to productive PC members. ;)

I love pc gaming, I have built a few of my own and my friends. But I got to the point where I got tired of them getting outdated. Its nice having a console where games are made specifically for the specifications that I have and I dont have to upgrade.

Imon Yourside 02-15-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9404621)
I love pc gaming, I have built a few of my own and my friends. But I got to the point where I got tired of them getting outdated. Its nice having a console where games are made specifically for the specifications that I have and I dont have to upgrade.

Other than sports games I don't play consoles at all, if those same games were on PC I would play them there but they aren't and that's the only reason. Also as the years go by it seems I have to upgrade less and less.

007 02-15-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9404580)

PS+ is a better deal than Live IMO.

lcarus 02-15-2013 11:01 AM

I just think it's stupid how you have to pay for the Live service just to use Netflix. It's one thing to pay to play games online, even though PS3 is free and just as good no matter what they say, coming from someone who owns both consoles and plays both equally.

But the way they're going with gaming, paired with me getting older and caring about gaming less and less all the time, I just may not get the new consoles. Especially considering most of the newer games suck complete donkey dick anyway.

ModSocks 02-15-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9405158)
I just think it's stupid how you have to pay for the Live service just to use Netflix. It's one thing to pay to play games online, even though PS3 is free and just as good no matter what they say, coming from someone who owns both consoles and plays both equally.

But the way they're going with gaming, paired with me getting older and caring about gaming less and less all the time, I just may not get the new consoles. Especially considering most of the newer games suck complete donkey dick anyway.

I have a 2nd Gen PS3 and highly doubt that i'll upgrade to the new console. The extinction of used games and my new love affair with my PC's (i have 3 at home that have been built in the last year or two) is enough to make me not wanna drop the cash for the new console....well....i shouldn't say that.....I might pick one up years down the road when the price has dropped considerably.

kcfanXIII 02-15-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9404505)

i think also, its easier for parents to buy games for their kids if all they need to know is if their kid has a wii, sony, or xbox. they don't want to have to look at minimum system requirements, and remember what shit their kid has. most people don't know enough about computers to build their own anyways, so consoles appeal to a lot of people.

silver5liter 02-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9405214)
I have a 2nd Gen PS3 and highly doubt that i'll upgrade to the new console. The extinction of used games and my new love affair with my PC's (i have 3 at home that have been built in the last year or two) is enough to make me not wanna drop the cash for the new console....well....i shouldn't say that.....I might pick one up years down the road when the price has dropped considerably.

The thing is, all the game makers are doing the same thing. Your ps3 games will be hard to trade in soon enough. Like I said, its already happening. Both my battlefield 3 and I think COD needed an online pass to work.

|Zach| 02-15-2013 03:26 PM

Looking forward to the next generation of consoles should be cool.

htismaqe 02-15-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9405805)
Looking forward to the next generation of consoles should be cool.

They'll be ready to go in about 3 years at this rate.

htismaqe 02-15-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9405238)
i think also, its easier for parents to buy games for their kids if all they need to know is if their kid has a wii, sony, or xbox. they don't want to have to look at minimum system requirements, and remember what shit their kid has. most people don't know enough about computers to build their own anyways, so consoles appeal to a lot of people.

It gets even easier when all they have to do is buy "credits" and let the kid download whatever they want.

htismaqe 02-15-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9403399)

Yep, that's what I mentioned before.

If you buy an EA Sports title 2nd-hand, you have to pay $10-$15 extra to participate in the online community, which includes downloading custom rosters and sliders.

htismaqe 02-15-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9403976)
I'm okay with it. My bigger concern is gaming turning more towards facebook, mobile and app-based stuff. Hopefully that's a fad that dies painfully.

It's actually EXPLODING, mostly because the casual gaming scene is HUGE money just in sheer numbers alone.

|Zach| 02-15-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9405822)
They'll be ready to go in about 3 years at this rate.

I think they may be pushing them for late this year.

htismaqe 02-15-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9405834)
I think they may be pushing them for late this year.

Oh, my bad.

I thought you were talking about the NEXT generation.

I already consider the PS4/XBox 720 to be the CURRENT generation since they're all but guaranteed to ship this Christmas season now...

|Zach| 02-15-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9405842)
Oh, my bad.

I thought you were talking about the NEXT generation.

I already consider the PS4/XBox 720 to be the CURRENT generation since they're all but guaranteed to ship this Christmas season now...

Ah yea I gotcha.