ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto An electromagnetic pulse (commonly abbreviated EMP) just hit the USA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266586)

Gonzo 11-13-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9116260)
That speculation is pretty much false since the sun has released massive emp fields that would 100% present the situation the OP states. Depending on how massive the emp was would change how long the power would be out. Was the blast big enough to destroy the transformers or just shut them down?

Really? Debunked huh...
I thought that since the pulse is concentrated in an area instead of spread out (like a solar pulse) it would have a different effect on the planet. Maybe not...
Lets hope not, anyway since I see this as being the most likely doomsday scenario.

cyborgtable 11-13-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9116276)
Really? Debunked huh...
I thought that since the pulse is concentrated in an area instead of spread out (like a solar pulse) it would have a different effect on the planet. Maybe not...
Lets hope not, anyway since I see this as being the most likely doomsday scenario.

I agree that that is the most likely scenario. In the 1880's a pulse so large hit that electronics of the time period ran better and faster after the batteries were taken out. If that same pulse happened tomorrow they estimate that it would cost the U.S. over 17 trillion dollars in damages.

On a side note, geologists believe that the earths magnetic field will reverse its polarity and then we are truly screwed if that is the case.

Gonzo 11-13-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9116287)
I agree that that is the most likely scenario. In the 1880's a pulse so large hit that electronics of the time period ran better and faster after the batteries were taken out. If that same pulse happened tomorrow they estimate that it would cost the U.S. over 17 trillion dollars in damages.

Holy Shit.
I did not know that...

cyborgtable 11-13-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9116288)
Holy Shit.
I did not know that...

In the last solar storm cycle entire cities in Switzerland lost power for a couple of weeks.

The cycles are supposed to resume next year also. If a big one hits we lose most satellites, and all current operating power systems that aren't protected by a Faraday cage, note almost everything, will be lost. Transformers could literally melt from the excess electricity causing a cycle that could take a very very long time to get power back.

crossbow 11-13-2012 05:37 PM

Of Course this would happen in a year that the Chiefs get:

The first pick in the draft.
A Superbowl proven GM who chooses the best coaches.
KC is chosen to host the Superbowl.

TimeForWasp 11-13-2012 06:32 PM

OMAHA! OMAHA!

Dave Lane 11-13-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9115914)
I am a mixture of grizzly adams and les stroud son, You would give up the first day your man panties got damp

Shit you couldn't waddle out to the car. I mean you're so fat you broke a rib on a bath tub. So you 54?

Dave Lane 11-13-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9116287)

On a side note, geologists believe that the earths magnetic field will reverse its polarity and then we are truly screwed if that is the case.

Link...

This smells like total BS

Dave Lane 11-13-2012 06:41 PM

As a matter of fact there weren't battery powered things that were "electronic" in those days.

cyborgtable 11-13-2012 06:43 PM

Read in in Popular Science, can't find the cost figure right now but the shortened online article is here

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...ic-solar-storm

Will continue hunting

My bad it was 2 trillion, idk where 17 came from
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...event-science/

Gonzo 11-13-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9116487)
Read in in Popular Science, can't find the cost figure right now but the shortened online article is here

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...ic-solar-storm

Will continue hunting

My bad it was 2 trillion, idk where 17 came from
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...event-science/

That figure actually sounds short to be honest. This would fry everything, not to mention all the 'bailouts' the govt. would have to do for Credit companies after they lost all their records or missed e-payments, etc.
Shit, the logistics would be incredible if they tried to repair everything that was lost. It would have to take two or three generations to recover.
Boggles the mind, it really does.

Would the US really try to completely recover?

notorious 11-13-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9116714)

Yep, and everything would be shielded to the max.

cyborgtable 11-13-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9116714)
That figure actually sounds short to be honest. This would fry everything, not to mention all the 'bailouts' the govt. would have to do for Credit companies after they lost all their records or missed e-payments, etc.
Shit, the logistics would be incredible if they tried to repair everything that was lost. It would have to take two or three generations to recover.
Boggles the mind, it really does.

I wonder how many satellites would lose control and crash too. The amount of damage would be astronomical. It would be a long rebuild time, with enough warning the infrastructure needed to rebuild could be saved though.

And it wouldn't just be the U.S. either. It would have to be a truly global rebuild

mikeyis4dcats. 11-13-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9116857)
I wonder how many satellites would lose control and crash too. The amount of damage would be astronomical. It would be a long rebuild time, with enough warning the infrastructure needed to rebuild could be saved though.

And it wouldn't just be the U.S. either. It would have to be a truly global rebuild

emp is a localized effect. a nuke detonated over the midwest would cover a siable portion of the US, but wouldn't affect anything outside that area.

but it would render EVERYTHING electronic unusable - modern vehicles, phones, medical devices, toys, etc. we would truly be back to the 1800s, but without the society or skills to survive in that era. it would be a disaster of epic proportions - disease, starvation, murder.

cyborgtable 11-13-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9116882)
emp is a localized effect. a nuke detonated over the midwest would cover a siable portion of the US, but wouldn't affect anything outside that area.

but it would render EVERYTHING electronic unusable - modern vehicles, phones, medical devices, toys, etc. we would truly be back to the 1800s, but without the society or skills to survive in that era. it would be a disaster of epic proportions - disease, starvation, murder.

Pretty scary stuff. I personally would get mirrors lots of mirrors and a crock pot