ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

KCUnited 05-13-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5762090)
I like their Carolina style pulled pork.

Best mouthful of BBQ in town, imo.

KC_Lee 05-13-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 5762264)
Anybody been to Big T's? I've driven by it several times but have never ventured in.

I used to eat at Big T's at least once a week. Some of the best burnt ends in the city.

BigRedChief 05-13-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 5762264)
Anybody been to Big T's? I've driven by it several times but have never ventured in.

I usually send people to Jack Stack when they come into town the first time since it has a safe suburban feel and good food overall. I grew up on their food (Smokestack to Jack Stack).

I like Gates sauce, but their meats are sometimes a bit chewy or tough.

I like Bryants, but think their sauce is a bit of an acquired taste because of the texture.

Johnny's in Olathe has excellent ribs.

I always enjoyed Haywards if I wanted to get in and get out quickly.

Edit - is there any way to get Famous Dave's off of this list. Blah.

I've tried several of the other places, but never crave them. I like some better than others and will eat there, but never feel compelled to go out just to eat there.

The list is from the KC star article.

Big T's isn't bad not just run of the mill for KC BBQ. Don't get me wrong its good BBQ and if it was anywhere in the world but KC it would be considered the best in town. But its still not an elite taste in KC, IMHO.

keg in kc 05-13-2009 02:17 PM

I'm an Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stack guy, although I need to try the Smokehouse on 135th and Metcalf sometime.

kc rush 05-13-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 5762285)
The list is from the KC star article.

Are you referring to my Famous Daves comment? I realize that this was from the Star's article and wasn't blaming you. I was just lamenting that with all of the great local BBQ in KC, why does Famous Daves need to be included.

Thanks for the tip on Big T's. I'll probably try it some time, but won't kill myself to get out there.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 5762288)
I'm an Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stack guy, although I need to try the Smokehouse on 135th and Metcalf sometime.

Back in the 80's, Smoke Stack in Martin City ruled. Even the one on the Paseo was excellent.

Baby Lee 05-13-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 5762099)
Has anyone ever been to Snead's? I've lived near there for over 10 years and never stopped in, but I never hear them mentioned when discussing BBQ joints.

I've been, but not since the late 80s, early 90s. At one time their burnt ends [they call 'em brownies] were the best in the city. It's good, but they lost out to Keegans [pre going downhill, gettting bought out, going out of business, coming back and whatever else has happened to them] which was just a couple miles further down the road.

Don't remember any bad meals at Sneads, but it's been too long to have any firm memories beyond that.

As for the topic header, sorry guys, I may have gone over to the dark side, wiled by Bandana's charms. Jack Stack is a great splurge, but Bandanas has given me too many reliably great, economical, meals at this point.

whatsmynameagain 05-13-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 5762118)
Anyone tried Rib Crib? There is one in Independence and I think they have an all you can eat rib night. I thought about giving it a try sometime.

i ate at one is branson....best ribs ever!
Posted via Mobile Device

Buzz 05-13-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsmynameagain (Post 5762536)
Posted via Mobile Device

My buddy here at work say's it's good but he always get's the chicken. So that's 2 for no and 2 for yes. :hmmm:

MOhillbilly 05-13-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatsmynameagain (Post 5762536)
Posted via Mobile Device

you are ****ing high!

Pablo 05-13-2009 03:33 PM

I worked at a Rib Crib when I was 16. I can assure they are not the best ribs ever.

Not a terrible place to eat, but the ribs are average, and the brisket is usually dry as a bone. The hot links are good though.

Demonpenz 05-13-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PostRockPablo (Post 5762589)
I worked at a Rib Crib when I was 16. I can assure they are not the best ribs ever.

Not a terrible place to eat, but the ribs are average, and the brisket is usually dry as a bone. The hot links are good though.

what a surprise, you like hot links

MOhillbilly 05-13-2009 03:37 PM

Best BBQ ever was Stones BBQ spfld mo.

KCUnited 05-13-2009 03:45 PM

whats the word on Gran-Daddy's in Lawrence? Any good?

Ebolapox 05-13-2009 03:53 PM

I've eaten at three of the places... gates, arthur bryant and rosedale. of the three, I prefer rosedale.