ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How much time did you spend reading in College on a weekly basis? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267370)

loochy 12-04-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9180810)
I found that the best workers in life are the multi-taskers. You know, the ones that can do all their activities and still get B's. The A students will eventually work for the B and C students.

sweeet

Jenson71 12-04-2012 05:09 PM

Reading can be a chore if it's assigned to you, especially in a distracting world. Two good methods: if you can get audio, listen on headphones while you read; or, schukle. My theory for the schuklen is that after so long reading the Torah, a rabbi told his students to move while they read. The blood circulation helped, and it became a method.

Dave Lane 12-04-2012 05:14 PM

I'm taking a Astronomy class at Duke online and its 6-7 hours of reading and 4 hours of lectures plus 2 hours of testing a week. 3 hour credit class.

chiefzilla1501 12-04-2012 05:24 PM

If it's a business degree, it depends on what you're studying. If it's finance and accounting, then practice is essential. If it's a management or strategy class, I found it a lot more valuable to do discussion groups.

And I agree... I definitely put a lot more time in grad school than undergrad, and I regret that. You're paying for your education and it makes a big difference in undergrad if you have a good GPA.

Braincase 12-04-2012 05:41 PM

Not enough.

Cephalic Trauma 12-04-2012 06:32 PM

I actually read a lot less in medical school than I did in undergrad. It's a function of too much material, not enough time, recorded lectures, and a lot of helpful learning tools. The days of sitting down and reading a book for medical students are over, and those that try that struggle to adjust. Those that succeed utilize the limitless resources provided by schools.

lewdog 12-04-2012 06:37 PM

Probably read about 15-20 hours a week in graduate school, much more so around exam time, plus extra time doing assignments, prepping for treatment sessions and doing research.

I really only read a little bit around test time in undergrad. You can get perfectly good grades just paying attention in class and taking a few notes to get A's in many undergraduate classes, besides many of the science classes.

Now that I am out of school, I only read magazines because my attention span for reading is shot!

Red Beans 12-04-2012 06:39 PM

More than Clark.

stonedstooge 12-04-2012 06:42 PM

Eye di'dnnt does ane reding or writng/Gerald Powe

Saulbadguy 12-04-2012 06:43 PM

Hour or two a week.

okoye35chiefs 12-04-2012 06:45 PM

0.0.. as soon as I found out the teachers could care less if you showed up to class ...

hence the reason I joined the service!

trndobrd 12-04-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9180684)
Grad school's a different creature.

I did do 40+ hours/wk worth of outside studying in law school. That was mostly out of fear, though. With that devil Socratic method, nobody wanted to be the poor soul that hadn't read the case assignments one morning and got called on. You mostly spent 50 minutes being embarrassed in front of 100 Type A personalities.

No thanks, I'll go ahead and skim some cases...

You couldn't figure out which professors used lightning strike, and which ones used rolling boulder?

ghak99 12-04-2012 10:37 PM

I barely cracked a book in undergrad... Right or wrong, I took my associates and BS and run from the recruiters like my life depended on it.

Burnt the **** out, I was.

Tombstone RJ 12-04-2012 10:46 PM

as little as possible

J Diddy 12-04-2012 10:52 PM

The thing that works for me now is reading the chapter prior to the lecture then I take as detailed notes as possible during lectures(I try verbatim as much as possible), rewrite my notes on word(using my words not the professor) grouped between tests, and daily I reread the notes 3 or 4 times.