ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV John Carter (of Mars) trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247147)

JD10367 03-06-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8421513)
Sooo you're just going to let that chick in your avatar sit there and watch? That's cruel.

My avatar is a fun appetizer. Lynn Collins is a four-course meal. She's reminiscent IMO of Olivia Munn mixed with Shannon Doherty and topped off with a little Dita Von Teese. I would suck her meat curtains until I died of terminal chapped-lips.

listopencil 03-06-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8417873)
Disney has put a 10 minute clip from the beginning of the movie online. If you're on the fence, watch this.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4HaE5Zs8dAY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Wow, I really want to go see this.

FAX 03-06-2012 09:34 PM

As a general rule, I dislike movies that screw around with the origin stories. That 10 minute deal seems to take some liberties, but it's darn close and ERB could certainly have written it that way, I guess.

Anyhow, I think they're doing justice to Carter's attitude (which is his coolest attribute). This might be really good.

FAX

listopencil 03-06-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 8423556)
As a general rule, I dislike movies that screw around with the origin stories. That 10 minute deal seems to take some liberties, but it's darn close and ERB could certainly have written it that way, I guess.

Anyhow, I think they're doing justice to Carter's attitude (which is his coolest attribute). This might be really good.

FAX

Yeah. I was thinking the exact same thing.

FAX 03-06-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8423568)
Yeah. I was thinking the exact same thing.

I don't know how to use the spoiler button thing, so beware ... some may feel that this post contains spoilers ... as well as really poor grammar and completely gratuitous and unnecessary references to female body parts ...

Spoiler!

EDIT: Awesome! You learn something every day. Today, it was spoiler things!

FAX

tk13 03-06-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 8423597)
I don't know how to use the spoiler button thing, so beware ... some may feel that this post contains spoilers ... as well as really poor grammar and completely gratuitous and unnecessary references to female body parts ...

I don't really understand why they made the changes, though. I mean, it wouldn't cost any more to shoot it they way it was written. In fact, it would probably cost less.

Maybe they thought this immediate conflict with the army and the trading post dudes helped establish the character a little faster?

One touch they left out that I really missed were the instructions to ERB regarding the crypt or tomb. I always thought that was a cool idea ... kind of set the tone, if you will.

FAX

Mr. FAX I don't want to spoil any aspect of the movie, so:

Spoiler!

All you do is put spoiler with brackets around it, with a slash in the second bracket before the word spoiler.

FAX 03-06-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8423616)

Spoiler!

All you do is put spoiler with brackets around it, with a slash in the second bracket before the word spoiler.

Thanks, Mr. tk13. That was pretty easy ... no wonder I was clueless.

FAX

listopencil 03-06-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 8423597)

Spoiler!

EDIT: Awesome! You learn something every day. Today, it was spoiler things!

FAX

Yeah I was looking forward to that as I am re-reading the first book right now, but I understand that different medias require slightly different stories. As long as it is faithful to the author and treats the characters with integrity I will be pleased.

listopencil 03-06-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8423616)

Spoiler!

I get that, but that's a different relationship then I expected between Powell and Carter. Still very cool though.

listopencil 03-06-2012 10:17 PM

I have to admit, I was cracking up at the scenes of him in confinement in the 10 minute teaser.

JD10367 03-07-2012 07:57 AM

I haven't read the books but the two other projectionists who watched the IMAX screening said that the film was pretty faithful as far as they recalled, although it did go into more detail and explanation than the books and included stuff from more than one book. I think films naturally call for a simplification of storytelling, as you only have 2 hours to tell the tale. However, even though I'm a book reader and a sci-fi buff, I still had to pay attention to follow the plot. It's definitely not "kiddied down", despite the fact that it's Disney.

I have to watch the film again. I'm not sure I paid enough attention to Lynn Collins. :whackit:

Hammock Parties 03-08-2012 04:09 PM

Reviews are 50/50

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_carter/

Demonpenz 03-08-2012 04:56 PM

I think this was going to be about Sean Carter.

Frosty 03-08-2012 07:24 PM

I'll probably wait and catch this on BR (like most movies). However, I noticed that some of the books are free on Amazon, so now I have some reading to do before it comes out. :thumb:

Deberg_1990 03-09-2012 07:32 AM

Reviews are sort of mixed, but the "Geek" crowd seems to love it.