ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271595)

ArrowheadHawk 03-30-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9541360)
Sherron-Tyshawn-Elijah has been one heckuva sequence. I hope Tharpe continues to improve; we was more reliable than Elijah most of the year. What's the word on that Conner kid?

He can shoot.

KC_Connection 03-30-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread (Post 9540782)
That's all well and good but it wasn't just this game. The things you mentioned were some of what were literally a few bright spots he had all year. He was an infuriating player to watch. I've seen a few players just say **** it and go rogue and not give a damn about what the coach was saying. I don't know if this was that or not because EJ celebrated with his teammates and listened to the coaches, but then just did the dumbest shit over and over again.

EJ was just an incredibly inconsistent player who showed flashes of great play and poor play regularly. It had nothing to do with not listening to coaches. From all accounts, he seemed to have a great relationship with them.

Quote:

By the end of the year I would hold my breath every time he brought the ball up court, or jacked up a shot from longer than 5'. I have never seen a player be a dominating force one year in the tourney and then come back the next year and look like a freshman point guard, for lack of a better term.
That's because he wasn't a PG. He was playing out of his natural position all year and looked like it. For all the good the team did (when they played well, they were as good as anybody in the country), it could never get over the loss of Tyshawn (at least the good Tyshawn, overall he was very inconsistent as well for much of his career) as neither EJ or Tharpe effectively filled in there.

Quote:

I fear for him, I really do. I don't think he'll make it past the D-League and I'm just not sure what will happen past that point. He is not right in the head.
The problem for EJ's basketball career isn't really mental, it's that he simply isn't that good. He doesn't effectively create shots for others, he's not a particularly good outside shooter, and he's not known for his defense. He shows flashes of major talent, but that isn't enough. Which leaves him where exactly? He'll have to fight hard for a professional career...at least much harder than Sherron has. I wish him luck.

KC_Connection 03-30-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 9541170)
Joel Embiid's length and athleticism is going to make him a devastating defensive presence in the paint from day 1, IMO. That should help offset the loss of Withey somewhat.

I do hope so. It may take a while for him to become that kind of presence, though. It usually does for many of these raw guys.

Quote:

I'm a little scared of our perimeter D with Tharpe being our PG1.
I'm a little scared of everything with Tharpe being the main PG. He's got the talent to pull it off effectively, but he's got to try to reign himself in a bit. Definitely can't have another season like this year if we're going to be a great team, we need him to be the guy that was dropping dimes for a few games in February there.

Ceej 03-30-2013 03:27 PM

At this stage -- I'm more content with Embiid being more of a defender, than offensive player at this moment.

If he can rebound and alter/block shots I'll be more than happy.

I think he might wind up being the steal of that class.

I'm also stoked to have a sharpshooter like Frankamp coming in too. Our first legitimate sharpshooter since Boschee, IMO.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-30-2013 03:31 PM

@WarLordRio: Wonder what god has in store for me from this point on and where I'm going to end up next.. the ride was epic...

Dumb kid.

chiefzilla1501 03-30-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9541360)
Sherron-Tyshawn-Elijah has been one heckuva sequence. I hope Tharpe continues to improve; we was more reliable than Elijah most of the year. What's the word on that Conner kid?

The only guy in that bunch that I liked was Tyshawn. Sherron played too reckless at times for a PG, and Elijah wasn't a true point guard (I loved his role last year as a depth guard). I thought Sherron was overrated and I never felt comfortable when he was at the point.

Too often KU teams have been shut down by teams with great defending guards. They need reliable play at Point Guard.

Thig Lyfe 03-30-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9541690)
The only guy in that bunch that I liked was Tyshawn. Sherron played too reckless at times for a PG, and Elijah wasn't a true point guard (I loved his role last year as a depth guard). I thought Sherron was overrated and I never felt comfortable when he was at the point.

Too often KU teams have been shut down by teams with great defending guards. They need reliable play at Point Guard.

Yeah, Tyshawn was streaky but not quite the doofus Sherron and Elijah were. I really would like a true QB at PG though... Someday...

silver5liter 03-30-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9541668)
@WarLordRio: Wonder what god has in store for me from this point on and where I'm going to end up next.. the ride was epic...

Dumb kid.

Seeya later idiot

Silock 03-30-2013 11:05 PM

Sherron was a killer PG. He was awesome for us. Not sure what there is to dislike.

We don't need O from Embiid next year. Just d. We will have plenty of scoring with Ellis and the new guards.

Prison Bitch 03-30-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 9541124)
What I've read puts him as having lotto potential. He hasn't been playing basketball for long but apparently he's coming along. I think he started as a defensive monster but has been developing pretty rapidly on the offensive end. My guess is he doesn't see many minutes next year but if the rumors of his potential are true, he'll start as a sophomore.

Oh he's lotto potential for sure. I think 16% of 7-footers in America are in the nba. His odds to make the league are good and since he I already a top 30 recruit on espn despite only playing two years....we are talking possibly the highest upside of any recruit since Danny. Maybe Raef. I don't know what to expect early on but he did beat Wiggins in a tourney last month, out scoring him. That's scary stuff

Chiefs Pantalones 03-30-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9543005)
Sherron was a killer PG. He was awesome for us. Not sure what there is to dislike.

We don't need O from Embiid next year. Just d. We will have plenty of scoring with Ellis and the new guards.

We're gonna be just as good next year. Experience lacking but more talented.

Pants 03-31-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9542293)
Yeah, Tyshawn was streaky but not quite the doofus Sherron and Elijah were. I really would like a true QB at PG though... Someday...

Sherron was a doofus? I've ****ing heard everything now. LMAO

Sherron was the 2nd best PG Bill Self ever had.

RedDread 03-31-2013 01:48 AM

All I can say is that I have a lot more confidence going forward with Nadir Tharpe.

But he is going to look very bad to start the year with the amount of new faces around him. I can promise there will be 8 games minimum of growing pains next year before this team settles in.

Chiefspants 03-31-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 9543197)
Sherron was a doofus? I've ****ing heard everything now. LMAO

Sherron was the 2nd best PG Bill Self ever had.

The lasting memory of Sherron's performance against a certain Iowa team is seared in a lot of people's minds.

Bambi 03-31-2013 10:14 AM

Tharpe will be fine.