ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs 2013 Free Agent Cornerbacks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268518)

royr17 01-05-2013 02:12 AM

2013 Free Agent Cornerbacks

These guys are who are schedule to be unrestricted free agents and we need a good corner opposite of Brandon Flowers. Who would you guys like to see and who do you think we'd have a realistic shot at picking up.

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
CB Mike Jenkins
CB Brent Grimes
CB Marcus Trufant
CB Terrence Newman
CB Quentin Jammer
CB Antoine Cason
CB Aqib Talib
CB Sean Smith
CB Rashean Mathis
CB Chris Houston
CB Drayton Florence
CB Nate Clements

AussieChiefsFan 01-05-2013 02:14 AM

:hmmm:

royr17 01-05-2013 02:16 AM

there's some pretty good canidates on there that would be perfect for the # 2 cornerback role

Sorter 01-05-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 9284211)
These guys are who are schedule to be unrestricted free agents and we need a good corner opposite of Brandon Flowers. Who would you guys like to see and who do you think we'd have a realistic shot at picking up.

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-possible
CB Mike Jenkins-possible
CB Brent Grimes-doubtful
CB Marcus Trufant-nope
CB Terrence Newman-nope
CB Quentin Jammer-nope
CB Antoine Cason-possible
CB Aqib Talib-nope, Pats resign
CB Sean Smith-nope Dolphins resign
CB Rashean Mathis-nope
CB Chris Houston-nope
CB Drayton Florence-nope
CB Nate Clements-nope

JMO.

royr17 01-05-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9284216)
JMO.

In all honesty I just dont see the eagles letting go of DRC.

Sorter 01-05-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 9284218)

I think they;d have to tag him. Not unlikely but depending on who they bring in it could happen. Very weak against the run and didn't perform well this year. Granted I haven't broken down any of their film.

Joe Seahawk 01-05-2013 02:41 AM

Trufant has had a good career, but a mediocre nickelback at best these days.

RealSNR 01-05-2013 02:46 AM

I remember the days of Chiefs Planet where Terrance Newman was the ****ing shit.

That was the Ryan Sims draft if I remember correctly.

Sorter 01-05-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9284241)
I remember the days of Chiefs Planet where Terrance Newman was the ****ing shit.

That was the Ryan Sims draft if I remember correctly.

He was the shit for a while. He's old and slow now.

BigChiefFan 01-05-2013 03:23 AM

Love you, Roy. You've taken alot of shit and gone through alot. I'm glad you keep on truckin'. God bless you, bro.

spanky 52 01-05-2013 03:41 AM

I'd just as soon draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds rather than any of these FA's.

NJChiefsFan 01-05-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanky 52 (Post 9284270)
I'd just as soon draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds rather than any of these FA's.

I think a lot of people want to get a speed WR in the 2nd, whether it be Austin or what-have-you. I think I would lean toward your line of thinking. Really it depends on what is sitting there in FA. All things the same I think I would prefer a CB in the second, maybe somebody like Rhodes as mentioned yesterday, then WR in the third followed by maybe another QB with the comp pick or 4th pick. I guess in this scenario we would have had to find a LB in FA.

Who is actually there during all those spots could change that obviously. I am just more worried about the CB spot than WR right now. I do agree though that we should make sure we protect our new QB, so if the staff doesn't think Breaston or Baldwin/McNut/Wylie can help him in any real way, then WR has to go up higher on the importance scale.

I've skimmed the safeties out there but haven't gone into any detail yet. I think in a perfect world I would want a vet safety so Berry can move around and not have to worry about a rookie mistake giving up a TD. Not to mention that if we draft a CB I would feel better with a vet playing behind him.

Sassy Squatch 01-05-2013 04:02 AM

Want Byrd from Buffalo badly.

Chiefs=Champions 01-05-2013 05:01 AM

smith would be iiiiight

crazycoffey 01-05-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 9284214)
there's some pretty good canidates on there that would be perfect for the # 2 cornerback role

only if they are willing to take 2nd CB money

crazycoffey 01-05-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17 (Post 9284218)

in all honesty I just don't see the chiefs letting go of Carr. /many pundits last year.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 05:17 AM

Byrd and DRC.

Maybe pick up TJ McDonald or something in the draft.....anything to get Kendrick Lewis and Elam off of the field. I guess Menzie is coming back but we never really got to see anything out of him.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-05-2013 06:47 AM

DRC or Jenkins are the only ones I'd be interested in on that list. We need so much help on the offense, that I'm hoping we go after one of those guys. Unless of course we make a huge push for Mike Wallace to go along side a resigned Bowe. Even still, we have a lot of work to do in the draft, so I would like to see us push for one of the two CB's I listed above.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 08:07 AM

Best God damn secondary in NFL

#1CB Brandon Flowers
#2CB Rogers-Cromartie (FA)
NCB Tyrann Mathieu (D-rd 3/4)
DCB Javier Arenas
FS Jarius Byrd (FA)
SS Eric Berry

Mr. Flopnuts 01-05-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284427)
Best God damn secondary in NFL

#1CB Brandon Flowers
#2CB Rogers-Cromartie (FA)
NCB Tyrann Mathieu (D-rd 3/4)
DCB Javier Arenas
FS Jarius Byrd (FA)
SS Eric Berry

We don't want honey badger at all. At ****ing all.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9284428)

Why? guy's a hell of a player

The guy may be a major steal in the mid rounds, when he'd be a first rd talent if not for his history.

Micjones 01-05-2013 08:12 AM

Mathieu would be a Justin Houston type steal in the middle rounds.
I'm starting to warm up to that idea.

Jewish Rabbi 01-05-2013 08:14 AM

You forgot to put Stanford Routt on the list.

KCrockaholic 01-05-2013 08:21 AM

You guys don't want Mike Jenkins or DRC. They both suck believe it or not. DRC might be fixable, but Jenkins is a bum.

Sean Smith would be ideal.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 9284455)
You guys don't want Mike Jenkins or DRC. They both suck believe it or not. DRC might be fixable, but Jenkins is a bum.

Sean Smith would be ideal.

Jenkins is a turd....hasn't been shit since he stepped into this league.

DRC has been a stud once before...hasn't lived up to it since, but he CAN be very very good at times. It's a lot better than anything we have at #2CB spot.

Saccopoo 01-05-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284431)

The guy may be a major steal in the mid rounds, when he'd be a first rd talent if not for his history.

Because he's small as shit, and doesn't have the capability of pressing a NFL receiver off the line. He also doesn't have the top end speed to keep with most #2 wideouts.

He's also a junkie.

All he is at the next level is a smaller version of Javier Arenas that you are going to have to baby sit for his entire career. And I don't think he gives you anywhere near the blitz capabilities that Arenas does.

No ****ing thanks.

You want a #2 CB? Then you draft a guy like David Amerson or Xavier Rhodes in the top of the second round. 6'2", 200 lbs.+ guys who are very good at press coverage that have the size to cover NFL receivers.

SAUTO 01-05-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9284428)

I'm with you here.

And no the guy hasn't been a hell of a player

Good return guy, that's all he will be in the nfl EDIT: the last wasn't directed at you flop
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe 01-05-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9284439)
Mathieu would be a Justin Houston type steal in the middle rounds.
I'm starting to warm up to that idea.

Considering he will be a UDFA, no. Not a steal at all.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9284467)
Because he's small as shit, and doesn't have the capability of pressing a NFL receiver off the line. He also doesn't have the top end speed to keep with most #2 wideouts.

He's also a junkie.

All he is at the next level is a smaller version of Javier Arenas that you are going to have to baby sit for his entire career. And I don't think he gives you anywhere near the blitz capabilities that Arenas does.

No ****ing thanks.

You want a #2 CB? Then you draft a guy like David Amerson or Xavier Rhodes in the top of the second round. 6'2", 200 lbs.+ guys who are very good at press coverage that have the size to cover NFL receivers.

JFC man did you even read any of my posts? I dont want Mathieu as a #2CB

htismaqe 01-05-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284567)
JFC man did you even read any of my posts? I dont want Mathieu as a #2CB

No you thought he'd be a "major steal" in the mid-rounds when he won't even be drafted....

SAUTO 01-05-2013 09:38 AM

So you are advising taking another ncb as a third or fourth rounder?

And a dumb one at that?
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9284566)
Considering he will be a UDFA, no. Not a steal at all.

you're pretty stupid to think he won't be drafted.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9284574)
So you are advising taking another ncb as a third or fourth rounder?

And a dumb one at that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah....wasting a 4TH ROUND DRAFT pick on one of college football's best defensive players is a really stupid thing to do. :rolleyes:

htismaqe 01-05-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284583)
you're pretty stupid to think he won't be drafted.

ROFL

SAUTO 01-05-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284586)
Yeah....wasting a 4TH ROUND DRAFT pick on one of college football's best defensive players is a really stupid thing to do. :rolleyes:

actually he isn't even a college football player.

You should probably stop now
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefMojo 01-05-2013 10:13 AM

I doubt the Honey Badger gets drafted and if he does it will be in the 7th round with someone taking a flier on him before UDFA market hits.

htismaqe 01-05-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9284634)

Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly.

Just another junkie on the street...

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9284634)

Posted via Mobile Device

You're right he's just some normal everyday Joe that's entering the draft off the street.

htismaqe 01-05-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284704)
You're right he's just some normal everyday Joe that's entering the draft off the street.

He gotta get high first, but yeah, he is.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 10:27 AM

He wouldn't be entering the draft if he's not getting word that there's a good chance he's getting drafted. He'd compete at a different school and play another year, like most players that get kicked off a team.

SAUTO 01-05-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284704)

Not the point.

Btw what team is he on? How many passes defensed this year, hell how many for his CAREER? Ints this year and career?
Posted via Mobile Device

CaliforniaChief 01-05-2013 10:28 AM

We picked up Flowers near the top of the 2nd round in 2008. If we could find similar talent this year, I'd be all for that.

I'd also love it if Robert Woods or Austin fell to the 2nd round, but I'd be fine with signing Wallace/Jennings to be the speed guy with Bowe on the other side and Baldwin in the slot.

I'd love it even more if I woke up from the Pioli nightmare and found Brandon Carr on the other side.

Rausch 01-05-2013 10:34 AM

Would love Jammer and Cromartie.

As #1 corners their time is done but as a 2 or 3?

The luster is off their former status. Much like when the Pack got Woodson...

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9284711)
Not the point.

Btw what team is he on? How many passes defensed this year, hell how many for his CAREER? Ints this year and career?
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh I guess that means he forgot how to play football since he didn't play this past season. **** what was i thinking?

He was considered this time last year to be the best DB in college football.

I'm sure he's kept himself in shape....maybe he hasn't...won't know until the combine.

He's a first rd talent that will slip in the mid rounds because of his situation and history off the field. All I'm saying it could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not wanting to take him on the first day...he probably won't go there. But obviously he's getting word from agents and possibly scouts that he has a good chance of being drafted otherwise he wouldn't be declaring.

But if you want to argue about what team he was on last year....argue away..everyone knows he didn't play last season. But lets keep trotting out Jalil Brown out there hoping he'll "finally get it". Guy's a ****ing bum

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9284720)
Would love Jammer and Cromartie.

As #1 corners their time is done but as a 2 or 3?

The luster is off their former status. Much like when the Pack got Woodson...

Jammer's a bitch. no thanks

topher79 01-05-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9284275)
Want Byrd from Buffalo badly.

Been tagged already.

CoMoChief 01-05-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher79 (Post 9284733)
Been tagged already.

when? i heard Bills MAY tag him, but I don't think it's been done...unless it's been done today

SAUTO 01-05-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284726)
Oh I guess that means he forgot how to play football since he didn't play this past season. **** what was i thinking?

I'm sure he's kept himself in shape....maybe he hasn't...won't know until the combine.

He's a first rd talent that will slip in the mid rounds because of his situation and history off the field. All I'm saying it could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not wanting to take him on the first day...he probably won't go there. But obviously he's getting word from agents and possibly scouts that he has a good chance of being drafted otherwise he wouldn't be declaring.

But if you want to argue about what team he was on last year....argue away..everyone knows he didn't play last season. But lets keep trotting out Jalil Brown out there hoping he'll "finally get it". Guy's a ****ing bum

I even asked for career stats. I haven't seen anyone that was ever pimping him as a first day pick. I know you are wrong about the guy. It's just going to take some time to show you. He could get drafted but he will suck IMO.

He doesn't have the skills.

Hell you yourself in this ****ing thread said you don't want or even think he could be a cb2 but now are saying he's a first round talent?

Come on man
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 01-05-2013 11:56 AM

He's essentially a return guy.

SAUTO 01-05-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9284902)
He's essentially a return guy.

Yep I said this quite some time ago
Posted via Mobile Device

suzzer99 01-05-2013 01:08 PM

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...f48bd8fb06.jpg

Do not want

RealSNR 01-05-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284726)

Tim Tebow was considered the best QB in college football when he was playing.

It's called being able to translate your game to the NFL. Mathieu is not an NFL corner.

noa 01-05-2013 01:39 PM

I like Brent Grimes, but achilles injuries are bad, despite what Terrell Suggs may have us think.

mcaj22 01-05-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9284242)
He was the shit for a while. He's old and slow now.

correct me if i'm wrong but Terrence Newman has had a very good year on a playoff team for being "old and slow"

Rugby Thompson 01-05-2013 04:20 PM

why are people going crazy over cromartie, he's ****ing trash. same with mike jenkins, the best corners in free agency are brent grimes and talib

mcaj22 01-05-2013 04:20 PM

id honestly take a flyer on Chris Houston out of all the guys on that list

zero chance Talib leaves NE. So hes out.

and DRC is a huge bitch scrub in the run game who cant tackle and we already have a bum like that in Kendrick Lewis, dont need to watch two guys all season whiffing with their shoulder like idiots

O.city 01-05-2013 04:23 PM

If Talib doesn't re up in NE, take him. But they'll re sign him.

Houston is probably the best guy, and I'd take a chance on Brent Grimes. Coming off hte injury, would come cheap with high upside.

Shox 01-05-2013 04:27 PM

Xavier Rhodes, CB Florida State
2nd round pick.

Chief Roundup 01-05-2013 04:31 PM

Talib has been in trouble including aggrevated assault with a deadly weapon. He fired a handgun at his sisters boyfriend then went on to pistol whip the dude.
DO NOT WANT!!!

BigBeauford 01-05-2013 04:31 PM

Talib is really talented and still young. Just gotta see if he has vrown up. If the pats don't resign he might be cheap due to past issues.

mcaj22 01-05-2013 04:32 PM

Talib also came in and instantly made that Pats defense 10x better

they were able to move McCourty to SS because they got Talib for peanuts

he is a talent no matter if he has off the field problems

Chief Roundup 01-05-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9285418)

Yeah but I don't see us signing him after what just happened here with Belcher. And I don't want someone that kind of a background. Gun violence.

Rausch 01-05-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284728)
Jammer's a bitch. no thanks

I think he'd be a great FS...

The Franchise 01-05-2013 04:37 PM

Sean Smith please.

O.city 01-05-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9285418)

Some here (not you) don't realize that you don't have to field a team full of boy scouts.

Hell, I'll take his attitude cause the dude is ****ing talented as hell.

Thats the thing all the scrubs that leave the tree don't realize. The Patriot Way has changed. Pappa Bill has changed alot. The other morons haven't.

Chief Roundup 01-05-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9285445)
Some here (not you) don't realize that you don't have to field a team full of boy scouts.

Hell, I'll take his attitude cause the dude is ****ing talented as hell.

Thats the thing all the scrubs that leave the tree don't realize. The Patriot Way has changed. Pappa Bill has changed alot. The other morons haven't.

I don't have a problem with a little weed or something like that, but guns are at a different level of off the field issues. Not to mention this guy is probably one strike from being out of the league for a while.

DaKCMan AP 01-05-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9284431)

JFC. Stop. A 5'8" CB without great man coverage skills would never be 1st round talent.