ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ****Official Let's Break Down Sutton's Defense Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271564)

Sorter 03-28-2013 07:41 PM

****Official Let's Break Down Sutton's Defense Thread****

Welp, I figure we should go ahead and start this project early.

Here are a few helpful hints!

1. Sutton has served primarily as a DC/LB for 8 years including this one.
2. He also had a stint as an OC, as well as WR/QB coach in the early 80's and a RB coach for 8 years (Hence his desire to stop the run)
3. He also served as the Ravens DC along with Rex from 06-08

What I believe from this and other data easily obtained, we're going to see an altered version of the 2-gap that we came to know and love under Romeo. Now, there are some slight variatons (such as DEs playing the 4-tech instead of the 5, the use of zone/man blitz philosophies out of base fronts, and the use of fire zones in base fronts).

Here's a wonderful link I'll provide until a certain league decides to take it down.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N3LEAt58vNw?list=PLe8D9jL2DTTZmeNu1Lmrdjh9f4mNUDty2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chiefzilla1501 03-28-2013 08:50 PM

I think people freak out when they hear the word 2-gap. I didn't like the negativity when DeVito was signed.

The difference is that Romeo like to run a pure 2-gap. 2-gap all day long. Sutton's defense is going to mirror Rex Ryan's, in that the 3-4 will be 2-gap, but he's also going to throw a ton of 4-3 looks. So his 5-techniques have to be able to also play a conventional 4-3 tackle.

I like Rex Ryan's defense. I think the defense fell short the past few years because of talent.

O.city 03-28-2013 08:51 PM

You know who's defense I like? Ray Horton's.

****. Damn Cardinals.

Hammock Parties 03-28-2013 08:52 PM

I'm sure it will suck. Jets fans loathe him.

Ceej 03-28-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9536867)

Not saying you're right or wrong...

But Jets fans are ****ing idiots.

O.city 03-28-2013 08:53 PM

Why do you base opinions off fans takes on people?

Hammock Parties 03-28-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536876)
Why do you base opinions off fans takes on people?

Jets fans have more intimate knowledge of Bob Sutton than anyone here.

If they hate him, good enough for me.

Not like people were beating down his door to be their DC.

See it as a shit hire, now go climb an AIDS tree.

chiefzilla1501 03-28-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

How can fans loathe the linebackers coach? I don't know if I'm happy or excited. I do know that it's ridiculous to say it will suck because he didn't run a great defense with a DC/head coach calling the shots, and with below average talent in the front 7.

Messier 03-28-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Devito seems to be well liked by New York fans and media, yet he's gonna suck too. So, since when do you put stock into what fans think?

-King- 03-28-2013 09:07 PM

49ers fans seem to think Alex Smith is a good player who can be good here.

Wonder why Clay isn't parroting them.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536864)
You know who's defense I like? Ray Horton's.

****. Damn Cardinals.

I'm probably going to be bitter about that shit for a long time.

O.city 03-28-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9536924)

It would have made for a killer coaching staff.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9536863)
I think people freak out when they hear the word 2-gap. I didn't like the negativity when DeVito was signed.

The difference is that Romeo like to run a pure 2-gap. 2-gap all day long. Sutton's defense is going to mirror Rex Ryan's, in that the 3-4 will be 2-gap, but he's also going to throw a ton of 4-3 looks. So his 5-techniques have to be able to also play a conventional 4-3 tackle.

I like Rex Ryan's defense. I think the defense fell short the past few years because of talent.

One primary difference is that in various alignments (over-ed, over, under) Sutton/Rex utilizes one DE playing 2-gap responsibilities, whilst the other does not. Similar in structure to Kiffin's under principles but different as well.

One thing that does concern me (and I don't know how much of this is Rex or Sutton) is the propensity to utilize 3 safety packages. They work fine if you have a fantastic front 4 and great corner play. I don't know if we're going to see Berry as the Ted as we did in Romeo's 2-3-6 but I wouldn't discount it just yet.

chiefzilla1501 03-28-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9536924)

Ray Horton was one of my top guys, even for head coach.

But I'd like to see where this defense goes. It's a progressive defense. I think people on this board are too stuck on the word 2-gap. It's not the same thing here. This defense is going to bring a lot of pressure and a lot of the Jets' problems can easily be blamed on horrendous pass rushers, a problem the Chiefs don't have.

Sorter 03-28-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9536934)
It would have made for a killer coaching staff.

Cockblocking sons of bitches.