ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Putting a pet down sucks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267348)

Bwana 12-03-2012 09:20 PM

Putting a pet down sucks

1 Attachment(s)
I have known it was coming for a few months, but tonight was the night. The old girl was starting to have issues walking and it was time. I had the pleasure of spending 15 years with Sierra and she had a heart of gold.

Thanks for the memories old girl, you will be missed.

chiefzilla1501 12-03-2012 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear, man. These threads always break my heart.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-03-2012 09:24 PM

It's tough enough when it doesn't come from a tough sonbitch...

lewdog 12-03-2012 09:24 PM

I could have dowe without the pictures of her. Looks like an awesome dog.

:(

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-03-2012 09:25 PM

Yellow Lab, that's what I have. His names "HUNTER". Sorry for you man.

Rain Man 12-03-2012 09:25 PM

Sorry to hear. It sounds like she led a long and happy life, though.

HonestChieffan 12-03-2012 09:25 PM

Tough deal. I hated it when I had to.

Bugeater 12-03-2012 09:26 PM

Sorry bro. Our dog is getting up there in years and I don't even want to think about it.

OnTheWarpath15 12-03-2012 09:27 PM

Dammit. Sorry for your loss.

The day is coming soon for my pup as well. Bone cancer.

Is it getting dusty in here, or is it just me?

Mr. Flopnuts 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

Yeah, my Jack Russell is 8. Every day is a gift from here. It's my first dog. Gonna be a bad day.

shakesthecat 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

Sorry, man......You're right, it does suck.

CoMoChief 12-03-2012 09:31 PM

puttin a dog down is a horrible feeling.......i still tear up at marley and me

Buck 12-03-2012 09:33 PM

Sorry Bwana

Johnny Vegas 12-03-2012 09:39 PM

this next beer is for her. sorry to hear. I had 2 yellow labs from the same litter growing up and they lived almost 20 years together. It was real hard to say goodbye. You did the right thing. Its hard, but its harder watching your best friend suffer.

LiveSteam 12-03-2012 09:42 PM

Sorry Bwana. Rest assured. She is chasing birds & hunting in heaven with many of our old hunting buddies that have passed on..

Dave Lane 12-03-2012 09:44 PM

Damn dude, good looking pup. Its the worlds hardest thing in my book.

Mosbonian 12-03-2012 09:48 PM

My sympathies Bwana....I know it had to be tough.

Our dog has been with us 14 years....funny thing is, when the wife and kids called me to say they were bringing home a dog 14 years ago I was ticked off. Didn't want a dog then....now don't know what life would be without him.

When the time comes, there is no way I will let him suffer. But it will kill me to have to do it.

SAUTO 12-03-2012 09:50 PM

Sorry to hear man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod 12-03-2012 09:54 PM

Sorry to hear this. Sucks sucks sucks :(

SCTrojan 12-03-2012 09:54 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Bwana 12-03-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9178290)
Damn dude, good looking pup. Its the worlds hardest thing in my book.

You know what, I have had relatives cash in the chips that didn't hit me this hard. I stayed in the room with her when they gave her the injection and that went very smooth. I wasn't crazy about it, but I figured I owned it to her and didn't want her being alone as her last memory. One second she was eating treats out of my hand while I was scratching her behind the ears, the next she just went to sleep. It was fast and easy for her with no pain. In a deal like that, that's all I could of really asked for.

At least I still have my four year old Doberman and my wife has her mini Aussie.

Dayze 12-03-2012 10:04 PM

god damnit Bwana.

that sucks man. I feel for ya man.

petegz28 12-03-2012 10:07 PM

Sorry for your loss, Bwana. Sounds like she had a good long life.

BigRedChief 12-03-2012 10:13 PM

Been there done that. It's like losing a member of the family. Sorry for your loss.

BIG_DADDY 12-03-2012 10:41 PM

I hate puttin dogs down, really feel for you Greg.

gblowfish 12-03-2012 10:44 PM

Very sorry to read this. Sad for you, and hope you'll eventually give a home to another deserving puppy who needs a forever home.

Dave Lane 12-03-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9178357)
You know what, I have had relatives cash in the chips that didn't hit me this hard. I stayed in the room with her when they gave her the injection and that went very smooth. I wasn't crazy about it, but I figured I owned it to her and didn't want her being alone as her last memory. One second she was eating treats out of my hand while I was scratching her behind the ears, the next she just went to sleep. It was fast and easy for her with no pain. In a deal like that, that's all I could of really asked for.

At least I still have my four year old Doberman and my wife has her mini Aussie.

Glad you got some other pups and were there for her. My last one I couldn't do it, couldn't look at her couldn't see it. Was busted up for a long time.

Gravedigger 12-03-2012 10:56 PM

Sorry to hear that man.

About a month ago my girlfriend and I had to make the decision. We adopted a cat two months before that from the shelter she volunteers at and then something happened that I had never seen before and I had grown up with cats all my life. His urethra spasmed to where he couldn't urinate. His bladder became full so we drained it with a catheter and hoped that it wouldn't happen again for awhile. Low and behold he made it one more week then we were told we'd have to drop 3000 for a surgery, he'd have frequent UTI's the rest of his life, pretty much made it sound like he wasn't going to enjoy the life we'd be giving him so we had him put down. It was tough, it wasn't 15 years like you had, but whether its a few months or many years it never gets easier to make that decision. Theres never a proper time either, if you do it you constantly think could it have gotten better or did we take the right path. If you do it too late you see your friend and essentially child suffer. Theres no win with it, all you can do is stand by your decision and know that they're in a better place. I'm sorry for your loss.

The Poz 12-03-2012 11:01 PM

I've got my best bud sleeping next to me as I'm reading this thread. Tough times I'm sure. Gonna be the worst of days when it comes time. My Condolences.

Al Czervik 12-03-2012 11:02 PM

What a great looking Lab....
Sorry for your loss....Man's best friend is so true!!!

Goldmember 12-03-2012 11:02 PM

sorry man

Chief Roundup 12-03-2012 11:22 PM

Sorry to hear that man. That surely sucks. I was lucky enough to have a Black Lab that was like my child for 15 years. My sincere condolences.

Bump 12-03-2012 11:23 PM

sorry to hear that, that's gotta be tough.

kregger 12-03-2012 11:28 PM

never easy. We've got an old girl whose @ 13 yrs (rescue mix) and she's been the best pup yet. It'll tear me up when that time comes. My sympathies to your family.

mikey23545 12-03-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I've never let one pass on alone yet, but it is the hardest damn thing in the world to feel them pass away.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bwana, but I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

TrebMaxx 12-03-2012 11:40 PM

Bummer. We just went through having to put one down a month or so ago. It hurts but you must know in your heart you did the right thing. It isn't easy I know.

DaneMcCloud 12-03-2012 11:48 PM

Dude, my sincerest apologies.

I have two yellow labs ages seven and nine. They're in great health now but when that day comes, I'm going to be a ****ing wreck. My girls are everything to me, sleep with us, hang out in the family room, go on family trips - you name it.

My heart goes out to you.

ChiefRocka 12-03-2012 11:55 PM

Your pup is where all pups go...Dwayne Bowe Bridge!!

http://www.juanelway.com/wp-content/...wayne-Bowe.png

Dartgod 12-04-2012 12:05 AM

I missed this yesterday. Sorry for your loss, Greg. Dogs are good people. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to do the same with mine.

A prayer has gone out in your name tonight.

rockymtnchief 12-04-2012 12:09 AM

Sorry for your loss, brother. Been there/done that with my dogs. It's definitely the same as losing a family member. I hope your holidays get better!

morphius 12-04-2012 12:12 AM

Sorry for your loss man.

Buehler445 12-04-2012 12:33 AM

Just ****...

I have determined that it is requisite for my mental health that Chief outlives me. Damn dog is way better than I deserve.

Chiefspants 12-04-2012 12:34 AM

:( My thoughts are with you, man.

Fairplay 12-04-2012 12:39 AM

Sorry about your loss Bwana. She looks like an awesome dog for sure.

luv 12-04-2012 12:42 AM

I had to do it for the first time this year. Sorry for your loss.

Phobia 12-04-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Sorry for your loss. Lost a stupid ankle-biter a couple months ago ourselves. He was 13.

I'm just disappointed that billy-badass mountain man pays another man to put his dog down. ;)

Joe Seahawk 12-04-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

I feel for you Bwana, a few years ago I had to put my 12 year old lab down, I stayed with him the whole time while they gave him the injection. He was laying down with his head on my lap wagging his tail, his tail thumping the floor slowed down and finally stopped. absolutely heartbreaking. Hang in there Bwana

WV 12-04-2012 02:13 AM

Heart breaking..I feel for you. Sorry for your loss.

TimeForWasp 12-04-2012 02:14 AM

Sorry Bwana

NJChiefsFan 12-04-2012 02:19 AM

Sorry man. It's the worst feeling in the world. It's bad enough losing them, even worse when you have to make the choice, even when it's the right one. Deciding how to spend those last few minutes is also rough. I'm sure you did what was best for her. A lot of pets aren't lucky enough to have good owners.

Ugly Duck 12-04-2012 02:53 AM

Maybe its just my imagination, but she sure looks like a happy, fun-loving dog that loves somebody with gusto. I reckon you're a lucky guy, Bwana, to have had the likes of her attached to you. My sympathy for your loss, my respect for your depth of feeling....

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/p...k2/Sierra1.jpg

kcxiv 12-04-2012 03:26 AM

Last thursday 4 dogs got a hold of my neighbors cat mangled the **** out of that poor cat. I live by a junior high school and they had just go out and a mother and 2 11-12 year olds were unlucky enough to witness the mangling. Kids screaming n crying. Neighbors kids crying. Shit was sad. I had to dig a hole and put it to rest in there. Shit was sad watching the kids cry

4 Dogs are in the pound now, they were just running around the neighbor hood all wild. No idea what was going to happen to them once in the pound.

memyselfI 12-04-2012 07:54 AM

Beautiful dog with a big ole heart. Fifteen is pretty old for a large dog so she obviously had a life filled with love and happiness. I'm sorry about your loss. There is nothing like putting down a pet. I used to see grown men, big strong tough guys leaving the office in tears or fighting them back really hard. They would say things like 'I didn't even cry this hard when my Mom died.' It's not unusual because there are truly no other creatures on this planet that love you more than they love themselves.

RIP Sierra. Say hi to my cat Bandy and my dog Saboo. Watch out for Saboo though. She's kinda of territorial.

The Iron Chief 12-04-2012 07:57 AM

Sorry to hear this.
I had to put down my yellow lab of 16 yrs 3 yrs ago its not easy we understand.

bevischief 12-04-2012 07:59 AM

Sorry, man......You're right, it does suck.

patteeu 12-04-2012 08:00 AM

Sorry about your friend, Bwana. It's touching that you stayed with her at the end.

okoye35chiefs 12-04-2012 08:01 AM

horrible feeling... put my 10 year akita down years ago and have not had a dog since..

sorry man

Radar Chief 12-04-2012 08:05 AM

Sorry Bwana, that sucks, and agreed that I’ve planted friends and relatives that didn’t hurt as much as putting down my little buddy.

KC_Lee 12-04-2012 08:19 AM

Sorry for your loss. Had to the same thing a few years ago for my wife's rat terrier, sucked big time. Thoughts to you and yours.

Lzen 12-04-2012 08:35 AM

Bummer, man. I know that's tough. We just put our old dog (18.5 years) down about a month and a half ago. It was really hard on the wife. We got her when my oldest was just a year old.

ChiTown 12-04-2012 08:54 AM

My condolences, Greg. Great looking dog, and I'm sure she was a hell of a companion.

Buehler445 12-04-2012 08:56 AM

Gave ol' Chief dog some extra love today on account of this thread.

FAX 12-04-2012 08:57 AM

My condolences, Mr. Bwana.

Had to put Mack down last year. Worst day ever.

FAX

Graystoke 12-04-2012 08:57 AM

Shit sorry to hear it. Tough thing putting down a loyal dog.

Old Dog 12-04-2012 09:04 AM

Condolences Bwana RIP Sierra

I've posted this before, but once again it seems very fitting (bit of a tear jerker for me)
(it's an old Dear Abby column I saved after we had to put our first husky to sleep in '97...RIP Nikki).

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you 're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all of these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I dorve you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."

LOCOChief 12-04-2012 09:14 AM

I'm sorry bud, she was pretty.

Our Jack Russell (Pete) is 15 yrs old, and going down quick the last couple of weeks. My wife is really having a hard time with it and I don't know what to do. Until this dog I never had a dog in the house. Growing up the dogs lived outside, they'd take off for days at a time, Pete's part of the family and he is starting to hurt.

Chief Henry 12-04-2012 10:24 AM

Sad news friend....sorry for the difficult news.

houstonwhodat 12-04-2012 10:27 AM

Sorry to hear it man.

I couldn't bear the thought of that day for my dog Goldie.

J Diddy 12-04-2012 10:35 AM

Sucks dude. Sorry to hear it.

tooge 12-04-2012 11:03 AM

Man, sorry to hear. The last, toughest, and yet most honorable duty to your best friend.

Dayze 12-04-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9179426)
Condolences Bwana RIP Sierra

I've posted this before, but once again it seems very fitting (bit of a tear jerker for me)
(it's an old Dear Abby column I saved after we had to put our first husky to sleep in '97...RIP Nikki).

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you 're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all of these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I dorve you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."

god damnit....:cuss:
....misty here at work.