ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Walt Disney World (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133525)

JD10367 07-16-2010 05:23 PM

Disney isn't that busy until right before Christmas. And with Christmas Eve falling on a Friday, I doubt too many people will even be there until that day or maybe the day before. It's always busiest when kids are out of school (i.e. from Christmas to New Year's).

And you're better off going before Christmas than after it; I've gone down on New Year's Eve, which is cool 'cause it's crazy-busy and you get to enjoy the New Year's Eve festivities and then the parks empty out for the first week of January, but they also tend to shut major rides for maintenance. I've literally gone in on 1/1, ridden something cool like Pirates, Splash, or Haunted, and come back on 1/2 to find it shut down for maintenance for the rest of the week. :mad:

JD10367 07-16-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Param (Post 6884269)
Just thought I'd add, Animal Kingdom is pretty cool if you've never been. Love those park hopper passes where you can hop from park to park.

Last time we went, we stayed on-property for 4 days. I broke it up mid-day based on which park opened/closed later. So one day would be AK/MK, next day would be EC/MGM (sorry, I know they don't call it that any more), etc.,. Always nice to run to a park and do its major rides, then break midday for lunch, a nap, a swim, sex, whatever, LOL, then go back into a different park for the night time.

Param 07-16-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6884292)
Last time we went, we stayed on-property for 4 days. I broke it up mid-day based on which park opened/closed later. So one day would be AK/MK, next day would be EC/MGM (sorry, I know they don't call it that any more), etc.,. Always nice to run to a park and do its major rides, then break midday for lunch, a nap, a swim, sex, whatever, LOL, then go back into a different park for the night time.

I've stayed at the animal kingdom lodge. Pretty freakin cool. And if you can afford it's best to stay on property.

007 07-16-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

I would always avoid the extra magic hour parks. It allows you to really avoid the crowded parks that way. The last two times I went I followed that strategy and it worked perfectly. There were a couple days it felt like we had the whole park to ourselves.

Ebolapox 07-16-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884219)
Or you could just ask me....:D

And I'm not sure I necessarily agree that is the busiest time....well, not from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon. Usually the busiest time is after December 23rd till Jan 2nd or 3rd.

I've been there during almost any month you can name...with my favorite being just before Thanksgiving.

mmaddog

so, how bad WILL it be during the 17th to 24th?

Ebolapox 07-16-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6884283)
Disney isn't that busy until right before Christmas. And with Christmas Eve falling on a Friday, I doubt too many people will even be there until that day or maybe the day before. It's always busiest when kids are out of school (i.e. from Christmas to New Year's).

And you're better off going before Christmas than after it; I've gone down on New Year's Eve, which is cool 'cause it's crazy-busy and you get to enjoy the New Year's Eve festivities and then the parks empty out for the first week of January, but they also tend to shut major rides for maintenance. I've literally gone in on 1/1, ridden something cool like Pirates, Splash, or Haunted, and come back on 1/2 to find it shut down for maintenance for the rest of the week. :mad:

ahh, didn't see this. I was assuming it would be busy, but not freakishly busy. and the avoiding the extra magic hours park is always a great strategy.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Sounds like what a newbie or amateur would do...:D

Actually once you have been to Animal Kingdom and spent the whole day there, you never need to spend another full day there. AK has one problem and that is that the only attractions there that bring you back more than once is the Matterhorn, the Kali River Rapids and the Safari Ride.

mmaddog

007 07-16-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6884413)
ahh, didn't see this. I was assuming it would be busy, but not freakishly busy. and the avoiding the extra magic hours park is always a great strategy.

I misread your original post. The week leading in won't be like the week after but I don't think it will be slow by any means either. From what I have heard, you want to avoid the week after like the plague as it is almost as bad as spring break to Easter.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6884407)
so, how bad WILL it be during the 17th to 24th?

Not bad at all probably....it will get a little busier on the 23rd, but will get crazy starting the 24th and running until after New Years.

The only codocil to that will be if Disney's fall/early winter bookings are not that good and they decided to offer special deals.

Are you staying on-property, and if so, where?

mmaddog

007 07-16-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884418)
Sounds like what a newbie or amateur would do...:D

Actually once you have been to Animal Kingdom and spent the whole day there, you never need to spend another full day there. AK has one problem and that is that the only attractions there that bring you back more than once is the Matterhorn, the Kali River Rapids and the Safari Ride.

mmaddog

I would include Everest and Dinosaur in that. But yeah, I can be in and out of Animal Kingdom in four hours and have ridden everything once and some twice. Hell, last time we went we even managed to ride Everest 4 times before we left at 1pm.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6884427)
I would include Everest and Dinosaur in that. But yeah, I can be in and out of Animal Kingdom in four hours and have ridden everything once and some twice. Hell, last time we went we even managed to ride Everest 4 times before we left at 1pm.

Sorry...I typed Matterhorn and meant Everest. The only problem with Dinosaur is that they haven't changed the ride...it's boring to my kids.

I do AK in 4 hours and that includes It's a Bug's Life and The Circle of Life show

mmaddog

007 07-16-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884437)
Sorry...I typed Matterhorn and meant Everest. The only problem with Dinosaur is that they haven't changed the ride...it's boring to my kids.

I do AK in 4 hours and that includes It's a Bug's Life and The Circle of Life show

mmaddog

forgot about Bugs life. We did that too. Not the Circle of Life though. We will catch that the next time we go. In about 4 years. I agree that Dino isn't much of a repeat ride but we always ride it once.

Ebolapox 07-16-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884424)
Not bad at all probably....it will get a little busier on the 23rd, but will get crazy starting the 24th and running until after New Years.

The only codocil to that will be if Disney's fall/early winter bookings are not that good and they decided to offer special deals.

Are you staying on-property, and if so, where?

mmaddog

on property; port orleans riverside. we stayed at french quarter last time, really enjoyed it.

Ebolapox 07-16-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6884420)
I misread your original post. The week leading in won't be like the week after but I don't think it will be slow by any means either. From what I have heard, you want to avoid the week after like the plague as it is almost as bad as spring break to Easter.

great tip on the DIS boards--a TON of good info there...

Deberg_1990 07-16-2010 09:17 PM

Yea...I want to stay on disney property this time. Never tried it. Looking at one of those resorts that has a monorail stop. That would be really convient for a midday break.
Posted via Mobile Device

007 07-16-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6884602)
Yea...I want to stay on disney property this time. Never tried it. Looking at one of those resorts that has a monorail stop. That would be really convient for a midday break.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would love to stay at the Grand Floridian someday but that will have to be after we are done taking kids as that is way beyond our budget right now.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6884602)
Posted via Mobile Device

That's the Contemporary...right next to the Magic Kingdom. The nice thing about that hotel is that you can see the fireworks of MK every night from the upstairs balcony...but only if you are a guest at that hotel. Also...Chef Mickey's is there.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6884618)
I would love to stay at the Grand Floridian someday but that will have to be after we are done taking kids as that is way beyond our budget right now.

I stayed at the Grand Floridian while at a business meeting this past March. With that stay I can now say that I have stayed at every Disney hotel there.

To be honest...the GF is nice, but I like the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge better.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-16-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884679)
That's the Contemporary...right next to the Magic Kingdom. The nice thing about that hotel is that you can see the fireworks of MK every night from the upstairs balcony...but only if you are a guest at that hotel. Also...Chef Mickey's is there.

mmaddog

Yea, i was looking at the polynesian as well....theres a stop there too.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6884462)
on property; port orleans riverside. we stayed at french quarter last time, really enjoyed it.

Make sure you ride the boats to Dowtown Disney....and when you are on the river watch for the refurbished TreeHouses. I hear they have redone them nicely.

I stayed at the Port Orleans when it was 2 resorts....Port Orleans and Dixie Landings.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6884685)
Yea, i was looking at the polynesian as well....theres a stop there too.

IMO...not worth the money.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-16-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884697)
IMO...not worth the money.

mmaddog

Really? Thats interesting.....how about the Wilderness Lodge? ever stayed there?

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6884464)
great tip on the DIS boards--a TON of good info there...

The only place to go for good information....

3 questions:

1) Anyone going with you that has any disability?
2) Anyone going with you that has any food allergies?
3) Anyone having a birthday or anniversary?

If so...let me know and I will give you a little scoop on those.

mmaddog

Ebolapox 07-16-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884704)
The only place to go for good information....

3 questions:

1) Anyone going with you that has any disability?
2) Anyone going with you that has any food allergies?
3) Anyone having a birthday or anniversary?

If so...let me know and I will give you a little scoop on those.

mmaddog

our 7.5 year anniversary will happen on december 19th I guess... and no to the first or second.

(and yeah, I rode the boat to DTD last time we were down... it made for a nice trip and a nice evening)

Deberg_1990 07-16-2010 10:30 PM

Maddog, how are the buses to the parks from the hotels? Pretty frequent?

007 07-16-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884684)
I stayed at the Grand Floridian while at a business meeting this past March. With that stay I can now say that I have stayed at every Disney hotel there.

To be honest...the GF is nice, but I like the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge better.

mmaddog

I have heard great things about both of those.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6884703)
Really? Thats interesting.....how about the Wilderness Lodge? ever stayed there?

The Polynesian has been going thru some updates, but it still has an outdated feel to me. The Lauau is still a great event though....we always go.

The Wilderness Lodge, to me, is the best. The lodge feel, the location and the setup make the ambience one that just draws you to it. And for some reason I find the Cast Members there more amiable and outgoing. All the Disney Resorts are nice...and everyone has helpful people, but for some reason the Wilderness Lodge just beats them hands-down.

The Whispering Canyon Cafe will kill you everytime you walk into the Lobby...the food always smells great tempts you into stopping before you head anywhere.

I could go on and on...but suffice to say, it's my choice without question.

(As a backup choice the wife and I also like the Boardwalk Inn..)

mmaddog

007 07-16-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6884710)

Probably depends on the resort but when I stayed at Pop we only waited beyond 15 minutes once and they state buses arrive every 20 minutes. They were ahead of the game for us.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6884707)
our 7.5 year anniversary will happen on december 19th I guess... and no to the first or second.

(and yeah, I rode the boat to DTD last time we were down... it made for a nice trip and a nice evening)

LOL...they don't do anything for half-anniversaries.:)

Cool...the only other real quick tip are using the Fast Passes wisely....

mmaddog

007 07-16-2010 10:39 PM

Never EVER waste a Fastpass opportunity!!!! Get them early and often. If you plan it right, you will find yourself by a Fastpass ride almost as soon as your window opens up to obtain it.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6884710)

Guru hit it right...the buses are very dependable. And sometimes you can get a really funny driver that makes even the longest ride seem short.

Are you flying down when you are going? If you are, then be sure to use the Disney My Way options. If you fly on the participating airlines, they send you tags to put on your luggage. Once you check your bag you never have to touch them again till you get to your room. Think that's not much...wait till you have a wife and a daughter who each have a bag that would bring even the strongest man to his knees.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:42 PM

Guru:

We need to have our own column about getting the most out of your Disney Trip here on Chiefs Planet. :)

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 10:44 PM

One last thing....DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT waste your hard earned money buying Birnbaum's book....newbies buy it and follow his every command. If you do all you will do is be in the lines and waiting like the rest of the sheep.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-16-2010 10:45 PM

Great tips guys...thanks alot

007 07-16-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884733)
Guru:

We need to have our own column about getting the most out of your Disney Trip here on Chiefs Planet. :)

AGreed!!! I am still in information overload from my trip this year and from 2008. I've got so much info floating around in my head about the parks and how to beat the crowds that I don't think I will ever forget.:thumb:

Ebolapox 07-16-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884721)
LOL...they don't do anything for half-anniversaries.:)

Cool...the only other real quick tip are using the Fast Passes wisely....

mmaddog

heh, I hesitated to even put that on there...

define 'wisely'... we used the crap out of them when we were down last time.

007 07-16-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884732)
Guru hit it right...the buses are very dependable. And sometimes you can get a really funny driver that makes even the longest ride seem short.

Are you flying down when you are going? If you are, then be sure to use the Disney My Way options. If you fly on the participating airlines, they send you tags to put on your luggage. Once you check your bag you never have to touch them again till you get to your room. Think that's not much...wait till you have a wife and a daughter who each have a bag that would bring even the strongest man to his knees.

mmaddog

Absolutely! I loved not having to get behind a wheel of a vehicle from the moment I parked at the airport until I got back. Disney Magical Express and the Disney Bus system are top notch.:clap::clap:

007 07-16-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6884743)

It amazes me how many people that go to Disney World still think you have to pay to use Fastpass. I ran into people that thought that on my last two trips. I just had to stifle my laugh and talk them through it.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6884743)

Which is exactly what you want to do...but are you using the right? Remember each Park Pass can only have up to 4 Fast Passes at a time...so what if you have people who don't want to ride certain rides, and other members of the family who do? Example...

We have 4 members of our family....My son and I kill to ride Space Mountain so my wife and daughter get passes for it and then my son and I get passes for rides we don't care to ride but the girls do. Maximize the passes right and everyone can ride what they want the number of times they want. And you don't know how many times I actually have had people give me their Fast Passes because they end up not wanting to ride or have kids who are worn out.

mmaddog

007 07-16-2010 11:09 PM

My kids tired out early when at Hollywood Studios and chose not to ride Toy Story Mania one more time even with FPs in hand. We found another family of three as we were walking toward the front of the park and gave our FPs to them. Should have seen the smiles on those kids faces.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6884744)
Absolutely! I loved not having to get behind a wheel of a vehicle from the moment I parked at the airport until I got back. Disney Magical Express and the Disney Bus system are top notch.:clap::clap:

We use it every time for my family....here is a tip no one thinks about. But this is only if you are renting an automobile for off-property trips.

When my kids were younger, I would book my flight at 7 am, take the heavier luggage with me and get to Orlando around 9 am...by the time I got my luggage and the rental minivan, it was 10 AM. My wife and kids would take the 10 AM flight and arrive at noon, where I would be waiting for them with the rental and the room keys already in hand. No waiting in line for luggage because they would have only carry-on luggage. (We always fly Southwest in these cases)

Saves the hassle of the kids getting restless while you hassle with the rental agent over not buying their over-priced insurance.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6884759)
My kids tired out early when at Hollywood Studios and chose not to ride Toy Story Mania one more time even with FPs in hand. We found another family of three as we were walking toward the front of the park and gave our FPs to them. Should have seen the smiles on those kids faces.

A true Disney fan!!!! :thumb:

Rep for that!

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-16-2010 11:16 PM

So u can only use your fastpass so many times?

Ive used them before...great tool...but i wouldnt say im an expert on the process.

BTW, Disney has the best line and ride management ive ever seen. They have that stuff down to a science.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6884764)
So u can only use your fastpass so many times?

Ive used them before...great tool...but i wouldnt say im an expert on the process.

BTW, Disney has the best line and ride management ive ever seen. They have that stuff down to a science.

You can use them as much as you want, but each Park Pass can only have 4 Fast Passes active at any one time.

mmaddog

Silock 07-16-2010 11:31 PM

Also, if you have a smart phone, there are apps you can download that tell you fast pass times, Ride wait times, have maps of the parks and other cool stuff for free.

Mosbonian 07-16-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6884770)
Also, if you have a smart phone, there are apps you can download that tell you fast pass times, Ride wait times, have maps of the parks and other cool stuff for free.

Good point...I had forgotten about those.

All for me tonight...have a good night everyone

mmaddog

007 07-16-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6884770)

ON the Iphone, the Lines app is by far the best one. I think Verizon has their own Magic app that provides similar info.

Lines is free to download but you need a active subscription to www.touringplans.com to use it which is 12.95 per year but if you have the book you can get it for $5.95 I believe. The Magic app on Verizon is just a fee for the app itself. Something like $6.99 I think.

007 07-16-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6884769)
You can use them as much as you want, but each Park Pass can only have 4 Fast Passes active at any one time.

mmaddog

I don't know how anyone would even get deep enough to have 4 passes on one ticket at one time. I'll have to try that the next time we go. Now that I know how to knock out Fantasyland and Frontierland in about 90 minutes total I probably could make it work.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the Fantasyland expansion they are working on now. I think it will be done by 2012 or 2013 from what I have heard. a complete overhaul.

Rukdafaidas 07-17-2010 05:39 AM

My family and I are headed to Orlando on the 31st of July for a week. Thanks for all of the tips.

Mosbonian 07-17-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 6884914)
My family and I are headed to Orlando on the 31st of July for a week. Thanks for all of the tips.

Be prepared to:

1) Sweat your a$$ off...
2) Duck for cover during an afternoon rain shower
3) Bring a sleeveless shirt to weather the sauna-like conditions after said afternoon rain shower
4) Be prepared for for the parks to be busy as Times Square on New Years eve on Friday, Sat and half of Sunday.

Everyone will be getting in their last minute vacations before the kids go back to school.

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-17-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6884783)
I don't know how anyone would even get deep enough to have 4 passes on one ticket at one time. I'll have to try that the next time we go. Now that I know how to knock out Fantasyland and Frontierland in about 90 minutes total I probably could make it work.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the Fantasyland expansion they are working on now. I think it will be done by 2012 or 2013 from what I have heard. a complete overhaul.

You should hear their plans for further expansions in EPCOT....

4 deep in FastPass is for hardcore people who have been there before, know how they want to enjoy the parks, and have a dedicated plan.

I've been to the Park too many times to count.....last count was in the 40's.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990 07-17-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6885088)

Oh, do tell...

Any plans for any future Disney parks? Its been awhile since they added one. Earlier 90's Animal Kingdom was the last one right?

Mosbonian 07-17-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6885154)
Oh, do tell...

Any plans for any future Disney parks? Its been awhile since they added one. Earlier 90's Animal Kingdom was the last one right?

The economy will have to get much better before Disney breaks ground for any more parks. Rumors keep flying about a planned 5th park and have for years, but attendance figures don't support the cost of building vs. the return on the investment.

For EPCOT...think front of the park.

mmaddog

Rukdafaidas 07-17-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6885088)

4 deep in FastPass is for hardcore people who have been there before, know how they want to enjoy the parks, and have a dedicated plan.

I've been to the Park too many times to count.....last count was in the 40's.

mmaddog

Yeah, we went to Busch Gardens in August a couple of years ago and it was pretty miserable.
We're probably going to visit the Disney parks Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

007 07-17-2010 05:24 PM

My wife and I went to DisneyWorld back in August 1995 and it was friggin miserable heat. I will never EVER go during the months of lat July or August again. For that matter, even mid to late June is too hot for me.

JD10367 07-17-2010 05:30 PM

On "bus vs. monorail": the last time we went, we did not have a great experience with the buses. It was Animal Kingdom Lodge in early December, and it seemed like every bus took 15 minutes to arrive (while buses for other destinations kept going by). Don't get me wrong, buses beat driving. But they're not great. As for the monorail, you have three choices: Grand Floridian (very expensive), Polynesian (expensive), or Contemporary (expensive). Both the Polynesian and Contemporary have their advantages. For the Polynesian, you can monorail or boat to the Magic Kingdom, OR you can walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center to monorail to EPCOT. (The monorail system consists of a loop from the TTC to the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom to the Contemporary to the Grand Floridian. Then there is a spur that runs from the TTC to EPCOT. The Polynesian is close enough to the TTC that you can walk there in a few minutes.) The Contemporary is close enough to the Magic Kingdom that you can walk it in 10 minutes; nothing beats leaving the park at the end of the night and watching the crowds queue up at the monorail, boats, and buses, while you take a leisurely stroll back to the Contemporary.

As for the rainstorms: go to your local dollar store or big-lots store. Most of them sell a $1 plastic poncho (complete with drawstring hood and elastic-cuffed arms) that is folded up in a small ziploc bag. Carry one around, and wear flipflops: if it starts to pour, you can unfold your raincoat, let the rain fall, not have to worry about your wet legs and feet, and save $10 from not having to buy Disney's heavy rain ponchos.

Silock 07-17-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6885163)
For EPCOT...think front of the park.

mmaddog

Stop being cryptic! Let's hear it! Or a link would be nice.

Deberg_1990 07-17-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6885540)
The Contemporary is close enough to the Magic Kingdom that you can walk it in 10 minutes; nothing beats leaving the park at the end of the night and watching the crowds queue up at the monorail, boats, and buses, while you take a leisurely stroll back to the Contemporary.

Seriously? I remember it being fairly close, but not leisurely stroll close. You still have to go accross that lake right?

JD10367 07-17-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6885794)
Seriously? I remember it being fairly close, but not leisurely stroll close. You still have to go accross that lake right?

No, the Contemporary is next door almost. Call up Bing Maps and zero in on Disney World, you'll see what I mean.

007 07-17-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

On "bus vs. monorail": the last time we went, we did not have a great experience with the buses. It was Animal Kingdom Lodge in early December, and it seemed like every bus took 15 minutes to arrive (while buses for other destinations kept going by). Don't get me wrong, buses beat driving. But they're not great. As for the monorail, you have three choices: Grand Floridian (very expensive), Polynesian (expensive), or Contemporary (expensive). Both the Polynesian and Contemporary have their advantages. For the Polynesian, you can monorail or boat to the Magic Kingdom, OR you can walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center to monorail to EPCOT. (The monorail system consists of a loop from the TTC to the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom to the Contemporary to the Grand Floridian. Then there is a spur that runs from the TTC to EPCOT. The Polynesian is close enough to the TTC that you can walk there in a few minutes.) The Contemporary is close enough to the Magic Kingdom that you can walk it in 10 minutes; nothing beats leaving the park at the end of the night and watching the crowds queue up at the monorail, boats, and buses, while you take a leisurely stroll back to the Contemporary.

As for the rainstorms: go to your local dollar store or big-lots store. Most of them sell a $1 plastic poncho (complete with drawstring hood and elastic-cuffed arms) that is folded up in a small ziploc bag. Carry one around, and wear flipflops: if it starts to pour, you can unfold your raincoat, let the rain fall, not have to worry about your wet legs and feet, and save $10 from not having to buy Disney's heavy rain ponchos.

Actually the Disney ponchos are 7 bucks and worth every penny. This is coming from a cheapskate by the way.

The Bad Guy 07-17-2010 10:51 PM

My brother left for Disney today. He's proposing to his girlfriend down there since it's her favorite place on earth. Me, I hate Disney World with a passion and the only time I will ever step foot there is when my son is old enough to go.

Mosbonian 07-17-2010 11:26 PM

You must be walking slow if it takes you 10 minutes to walk to MK from the Contemporary....and I'm over 50.

Not sure why your experience with the buses was so bad, but for all the times I have gone, the buses have been very prompt. The Monorail is nice fun, but it too can be as cumbersome as riding the ferry's over.

As I said earlier, the Polynesian offers nothing for me but proximity to MK. It's feel is outdated and the only appeal is the Luaua....

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-17-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you are buying your ponchos, but I've never encountered one that was $10.....are you sure you bought it from a Disney vendor?

mmaddog

Mosbonian 07-17-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6886035)
My brother left for Disney today. He's proposing to his girlfriend down there since it's her favorite place on earth. Me, I hate Disney World with a passion and the only time I will ever step foot there is when my son is old enough to go.

Just for grins...what makes you hate it so much?

mmaddog

The Bad Guy 07-17-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6886090)
Just for grins...what makes you hate it so much?

mmaddog

I'm not a big ride fan, hate roller coasters because I'm deathly afraid of heights.

I think every time I went as a kid with my parents, there was an issue. We drove down there when I was in 8th grade. My brothers were in 3rd and 1st grade at the time. They both were sick on the ride down and threw up everywhere.

The other time we went, I had chicken pox. They were everywhere - worst part was they were on my tongue.

I just never had a pleasurable experience there. It has a lot to do with the fact I'm a dud when it comes to rides, but a lot of the shit that happened plays a large role in my hatred.

I will like it a lot more when my son can experience it.

Coach 07-17-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6886119)
I'm not a big ride fan, hate roller coasters because I'm deathly afraid of heights.

I think every time I went as a kid with my parents, there was an issue. We drove down there when I was in 8th grade. My brothers were in 3rd and 1st grade at the time. They both were sick on the ride down and threw up everywhere.

The other time we went, I had chicken pox. They were everywhere - worst part was they were on my tongue.

I just never had a pleasurable experience there. It has a lot to do with the fact I'm a dud when it comes to rides, but a lot of the shit that happened plays a large role in my hatred.

I will like it a lot more when my son can experience it.

Not all of them are rides. There are great places that involves without rides. The Bug Life is one of them that I had a good experience with. Pretty funny. The zoo is another good place to check out animals and go on one of those big trucks that ferry you around their zoo lot to see upclose on some of the animals they have to offer.

Silock 08-31-2010 01:14 AM

This needs a bump, just 'cause.

007 08-31-2010 01:27 AM

The experts are always IN.

Amnorix 08-31-2010 07:02 AM

So......some friends are organizing a trip to Disney. Sounds good. They want us to go too. Sounds good.

In August.

"I'm sorry, when?"

"August"

"Isn't it, like, REALLY, REALLY, hot and humid in Florida in August?!?!"

"It'll be fine.

:eek:

Has anyone been in July/August? Is it as horrible as I'm thinking it is?. My current plan is to skip it, but if enough people think otherwise...

Frosty 08-31-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 6966408)
So......some friends are organizing a trip to Disney. Sounds good. They want us to go too. Sounds good.

In August.

"I'm sorry, when?"

"August"

"It'll be fine.

Has anyone been in July/August? Is it as horrible as I'm thinking it is?. My current plan is to skip it, but if enough people think otherwise...

I had a friend that went around the first of August and said it was brutal. He still had a good time but said the weather really took it out of him.

DaKCMan AP 08-31-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 6966408)

In August.

"I'm sorry, when?"

"August"

"It'll be fine.

It's hot as hell in August and rains every day. Once school is in session you shouldn't have much trouble with lines/waits, but you'll need to stay extra hydrated.

Amnorix 08-31-2010 08:55 AM

The reason for going in August, they tell me, is because it's off-peak season. We all havve school-age kids, and they're getting to the age where missing a week of school actually is a big deal.

But August. Ugh...

DaKCMan AP 08-31-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 6966591)
The reason for going in August, they tell me, is because it's off-peak season. We all havve school-age kids, and they're getting to the age where missing a week of school actually is a big deal.

But August. Ugh...

If you go the week or two before school starts back up it will be swamped.

Amnorix 08-31-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 6966593)
If you go the week or two before school starts back up it will be swamped.

So it's crowded the last couple of weeks of August. Well, there goes the only reason to suffer through the heat to begin with.

Thanks.

boogblaster 08-31-2010 09:23 AM

prolly some good deals out there this year too if you look for them .. check with a travel agency .. should be some hotel-rental car-and tic paks ....

DaKCMan AP 08-31-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 6966624)
So it's crowded the last couple of weeks of August. Well, there goes the only reason to suffer through the heat to begin with.

Thanks.

It depends when schools start. In Florida school started the last 2 weeks. The last week in August is probably ok, but prior to then people are getting last-minute vacations in.

Deberg_1990 08-31-2010 10:20 AM

If you dont have kids, September is a prime time to go.

DaKCMan AP 08-31-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6966729)
If you dont have kids, September is a prime time to go.

September, October, pre-Thanksgiving November, mid-late January, February, May are all good times to go.

Silock 08-31-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 6966591)

But August. Ugh...

**** that. Go in September or October.

JD10367 08-31-2010 05:22 PM

August is definitely peak.

The nice thing about September-through-May (excepting Thanksgiving weekend, the week from Christmas to New Years, and school vacation weeks in February and April) is that it's relatively uncrowded. The drawback? The parks usually roll up their sidewalks between 5pm-8pm, leaving you not much to do at night.

The sucky thing about June, July, and August is the oppressive heat and oppressive lines. The advantage? The parks are open later.

The gameplan in the offseason is, "Get there early, stay all day." If you're going in August? The gameplan is this:

1.) Get there when they open.
2.) Run and ride the coolest thing(s).
3.) Around 11am to noon, when it starts getting really busy, go have lunch.
4.) Go back to the hotel.
5.) ****.
6.) Nap.
7.) Go for a swim.
8.) **** again.
9.) Go for an early dinner.
10.) Go back into the parks around 6pm-7pm. Enjoy the cooler evening weather and thinner crowds.
TWO OPTIONS NOW:
11A.) Right before they close, ride the coolest thing(s).
12A.) Walk out of the park very slowly to allow the millions in the horde to crowd onto the monorails, boats, and buses. (Unless you're staying at the Contemporary and leaving the Magic Kingdom, in which case you can leisurely walk back.)
11B.) Ride the coolest thing(s) just before the fireworks/parade/evening event.
12B.) While the hordes are attending the evening event, run like hell to get out of the park before they do, and clog up the transportation system.