ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games New XBox 720 to kill off second hand games? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270017)

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 09:43 AM

New XBox 720 to kill off second hand games?

I wont buy one if these rumours are true....and they probably are.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

Huffmeister 02-14-2013 09:50 AM

There's no way I would buy a console that wouldn't let me play second hand games. But I have a feeling that they'r going to back off on this. There's been too much backlash so far. I almost wonder if Microsoft floated the idea out there to gauge people's reaction before setting anything in stone.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 10:05 AM

This really isn't in Microsoft's hands anyway, it's in the hands of the publisher.

EA, for example, is ALREADY TAKING STEPS TO DO THIS, as anybody who has purchased an EA Sports title used can attest.

That being said, Microsoft has built functionality into Windows 8 that can be leveraged in the future to make them the preferred game distribution method on Windows, locking out others like Steam and essentially making Windows PCs an Xbox-like environment.

bishop_74 02-14-2013 10:09 AM

Old news. As I have said before media is going the way of the dodo. Everything will be downloadable in the very near future and drives will not be included in anything.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402294)
This really isn't in Microsoft's hands anyway, it's in the hands of the publisher.

EA, for example, is ALREADY TAKING STEPS TO DO THIS, as anybody who has purchased an EA Sports title used can attest.

That being said, Microsoft has built functionality into Windows 8 that can be leveraged in the future to make them the preferred game distribution method on Windows, locking out others like Steam and essentially making Windows PCs an Xbox-like environment.

I really dont get the software industry. Anything else, you buy it, you can do whatever you want with it. YOur car, your clothes, toys, furniture,etc...there is usually a second hand market.

Why does the original owner care if they have already made their money?

J Diddy 02-14-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9402323)
I really dont get the software industry. Anything else, you buy it, you can do whatever you want with it. YOur car, your clothes, toys, furniture,etc...there is usually a second hand market.

Because people who buy used games aren't buying the same titles from them, therefore they are losing out.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Well, for one you can't copy that car you bought and give it to your friend for free...

Buehler445 02-14-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

They want the new car market AND the used car market so to speak.

Buck 02-14-2013 12:01 PM

Hopefully console gaming dies with this generation.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9402667)
Hopefully console gaming dies with this generation.

Not happening. In fact, Microsoft is taking steps with Windows going forward to make PC gaming look like console gaming.

Buck 02-14-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402722)
Not happening. In fact, Microsoft is taking steps with Windows going forward to make PC gaming look like console gaming.

I don't see much improvement as far as innovation is concerned with new consoles. What are they going to provide that we don't already have with the 360 or PS3?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if there aren't those major innovations and they're just guts upgrades, I don't see why the scales won't start tipping in the favor of fully customisable PCs.

Dayze 02-14-2013 12:31 PM

this upgrade in consoles will finally make post-game handshakes between coachs light years better in Madden.

KC native 02-14-2013 12:50 PM

No way they do that. M$ has already dealt with one antitrust case. If they pull something like this it would open the door to another.

Dayze 02-14-2013 12:53 PM

what will this change if the game developers don't change their engines etc? serious question etc.

seems like a lot of games - aaheam.....EA - look the same year in and year out.
can the PS3/Xbox no handle anything else?

htismaqe 02-14-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9402761)
I don't see much improvement as far as innovation is concerned with new consoles. What are they going to provide that we don't already have with the 360 or PS3?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if there aren't those major innovations and they're just guts upgrades, I don't see why the scales won't start tipping in the favor of fully customisable PCs.

The major innovations are in content delivery. Microsoft and Sony are able to monetize every inch of the screen and every bit that travels the network.

The scales are already tipping AWAY from fully-customizable PCs because those are more difficult to monetize.

Content is the future.