ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Mass Effect 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=238275)

Kraus 12-11-2010 08:54 PM

Mass Effect 3

Launch Trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bG2mdZ23eP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

irishjayhawk 12-11-2010 09:29 PM

:(

I'm still on one. Need. To. Find. Time.

Kraus 12-12-2010 07:53 PM

I'm actually a little surprised the third installment in coming out less than 2 years after the second one.

thecoffeeguy 12-13-2010 10:02 AM

Looks sweet.

I hope they take out mineral mining. I hate that.

veist 12-13-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoffeeguy (Post 7255586)
Looks sweet.

I hope they take out mineral mining. I hate that.

I hated it from multiple perspectives, mechanically it was clunky and the controls were too dead so it would take forever on a console, from a gameplay perspective it was worse than the constantly driving around in the Mako in reskinned versions of mostly the same landscapes. Why they didn't just give us the new tank and the old method but with better landscapes I will never understand. It felt like it existed only to try and extend how long the game took without adding any kind of depth which is dumb since the game has a bunch of replayability just to see what happens if you do things differently. And finally from a game mechanics standpoint, the constantly having to go buy fuel and probes crap was just way too fiddly, nobody wants to play "Mass Effect: The logistics of space exploration."

On Topic: JIMP, will be sweet and will be sweet to see what they do with the last DLC or two that is going to bridge 2 and 3.

Frazod 12-13-2010 10:36 AM

I'M STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

Adept Havelock 12-14-2010 08:11 PM

Nice. Looking forward to wrapping up the story. It's been a hell of a ride so far.

KcMizzou 12-14-2010 08:14 PM

I really very rarely play the 360. Always mean to, but never get around to it. These Mass Effect games have been the exception. I played 1 and 2 steadily to the end. Can't wait for #3.

I've still gotta finish Red Dead. I love that game... it's just always something I'm "gonna do", but not right now.

Lzen 12-15-2010 12:32 PM

After finishing Bioshock last month, I finally got around to ordering Mass Effect 1 and 2 today. Winter down time gives me more opportunity to play these games.

Kraus 12-15-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7260445)
After finishing Bioshock last month, I finally got around to ordering Mass Effect 1 and 2 today. Winter down time gives me more opportunity to play these games.

Be sure to play some of the DLC too. Bring Down the Sky for ME1 and Overlord/Shadow Broker for ME2. All three are very worth it.

Lzen 12-15-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraus (Post 7260620)
Be sure to play some of the DLC too. Bring Down the Sky for ME1 and Overlord/Shadow Broker for ME2. All three are very worth it.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Javabean 12-16-2010 01:03 PM

As much as I'm anticipating The Old Republic, I really wish BioWare were developing a Mass Effect MMO instead of a Star Wars one. It's such a great universe.

Pants 12-16-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javabean (Post 7263094)
As much as I'm anticipating The Old Republic, I really wish BioWare were developing a Mass Effect MMO instead of a Star Wars one. It's such a great universe.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, man. But I think Star Wars is just a much safer IP for them to pour all those resources into. I never liked Star Wars, but I loved KOTOR so I will probably enjoy TOR. Can you imagine all the fanboys spending the money on it that otherwise probably wouldn't, though?

Javabean 12-16-2010 01:15 PM

Yeah, there's no doubt that Star Wars is a bigger and more lucrative IP, so I completely understand BioWare's decision. I'm just saying that I personally would enjoy a Mass Effect MMO more.

Pants 12-16-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javabean (Post 7263115)
Yeah, there's no doubt that Star Wars is a bigger and more lucrative IP, so I completely understand BioWare's decision. I'm just saying that I personally would enjoy a Mass Effect MMO more.

I agree with that sentiment.

keg in kc 12-16-2010 01:46 PM

Knights of the Old Republic was Mass Effect before Mass Effect was cool. This is not a "Star Wars" IP as much as it's a BioWare one. They're working with Lucas, but most of it comes from them.

And I really wouldn't want an ME mmo, because it would end up being an FPS. And that's just not my thing.

Kraus 12-16-2010 01:53 PM

I still wouldn't mind an KOTOR (like the first one) running on Mass Effect's engine. I don't care much for MMO's.

Javabean 12-16-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7263205)
And I really wouldn't want an ME mmo, because it would end up being an FPS. And that's just not my thing.

I agree that I wouldn't want an FPS MMO, but I don't think that an ME MMO would necessarily be FPS. Between biotics and tech powers, Mass Effect has the framework for the "magic" click powers around which most MMOs revolve. Compared to The Old Republic, which will feature melee/ranged combat plus force powers, I don't see much of a difference beyond the setting.

Pants 12-16-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7263205)
Knights of the Old Republic was Mass Effect before Mass Effect was cool. This is not a "Star Wars" IP as much as it's a BioWare one. They're working with Lucas, but most of it comes from them.

They could make it 3rd person in lieu of the ranged classes you see in TOR. And yeah, I would never consider playing a Star Wars Galaxies type MMO, but since it's Bioware, I don't care what universe it's set in, I'll be giving it a try. But to discount the pull of the Star Wars brand is silly, IMO.

keg in kc 12-16-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7263261)
They could make it 3rd person in lieu of the ranged classes you see in TOR. And yeah, I would never consider playing a Star Wars Galaxies type MMO, but since it's Bioware, I don't care what universe it's set in, I'll be giving it a try. But to discount the pull of the Star Wars brand is silly, IMO.

I'm not discounting the pull of the brand, but it's not a Star Wars IP in the traditional sense. It's basically a universe created by bioware overseen by lucas to make sure that it doesn't conflict with the 'official' lore events thousands of years later. The game is essentially going to be Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Pants 12-16-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7263348)
I'm not discounting the pull of the brand, but it's not a Star Wars IP in the traditional sense. It's basically a universe created by bioware overseen by lucas to make sure that it doesn't conflict with the 'official' lore events thousands of years later. The game is essentially going to be Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

You're right. Lucas should be ****ing grateful too, because the shit they write is a million times better than Star Wars (in my humble opinion).

David. 12-16-2010 11:43 PM

I have such good memories of KOTOR that I'll probably give SWTOR a shot. I was on direct2drive and saw they were selling KOTOR for like 10 bucks. I almost impulse bought it, but it came out so long ago I'm not sure how into it I could get.

ReynardMuldrake 12-16-2010 11:53 PM

KOTOR is one of the top 10 RPGs of all time IMO. I think I've beat it like six times.

I wish they would make another sequel, but I know it'll never happen.

Javabean 12-17-2010 09:09 AM

I loved KOTOR and bought it again for $1 during a Steam sale last Thanksgiving. I'll give it another shot soon and see how it holds up.

keg in kc 02-10-2011 10:30 AM

Some news in the last day. Jack Wall will not be scoring Mass Effect 3 (he did the first two for those who don't recognize the name...). However, Clint Mansell will, the fellow who scored a bunch of Darren Aronofsky's films (Pi, Requem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan) as well as a number of others (Smokin' Aces, Moon, etc.).

I'm mixed on this news. On one hand, I think Jack Wall's ME scores are iconic. Sad to see this happen. But on the other hand...it's Clint Mansell...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hKLpJtvzlEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BtCpttsZiys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ihF_aXi-Huk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pants 02-10-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warispeace (Post 7264801)
KOTOR is one of the top 10 RPGs of all time IMO. I think I've beat it like six times.

I wish they would make another sequel, but I know it'll never happen.

It's happening and it's called Star Wars: The Old Republic. Except it's not a sequel, it's like KOTOR made 100 times bigger. :D

keg in kc 04-08-2011 09:59 AM

First major ME3 details are hitting, it's the cover story in May's gameinformer. This is all spoiler, obviously, but I'll only tag the stuff that's directly story-related:
  • No multiplayer (thank god)
  • Multiple endings, both good and bad, and companion choices will impact it
  • Expanded RPG elements, somewhere between ME1 and ME2 (larger skill trees, powers can evolve multiple times)
  • Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus are all in the game and "playable to some extent"
  • Wrex, Mordin, Legion and Anderson are in the game.
  • All classes can use all weapons, but only Soldiers can have a full load-out on missions (other classes choose what to take)
  • Weapon Mods return, although different than ME1 (supposed can swap out components like barrels and scopes) - it will affect the look of the weapon
Spoiler!

Reading on the BioWare forums, it sounds like they're going to try not to spoil the entire game before release the way that ME2 was basically spoiled by trailers and articles...

keg in kc 04-08-2011 05:23 PM

Stumbled across one more thing from the article (supposedly):
Spoiler!

keg in kc 04-21-2011 12:19 PM

Bit o' Q&A:
Quote:

Mass Effect: The Q&A For Hardcore Fans

by Joe Juba on April 21, 2011 at 01:00 PM

Mass Effect is a blockbuster franchise with a legion of loyal followers, and certain pieces of information about Mass Effect 3 are on everyone's must-know list. What characters are returning? How will Shepard's choices affect the fate of the galaxy? However, some questions about the series go off the beaten path; they are born from an attention to detail, an affinity for speculation, and the will to thoroughly read the in-game codex. To get answers (or at least hints of answers) pertaining to these topics, we talked to Mass Effect 3's lead writer, Mac Walters. Some may dismiss the following interview as trainspotting, but dedicated Mass Effect fans are likely to learn a few tidbits of tantalizing info – and learn which storylines might resurface in the trilogy's conclusion.

GI: Was the fact that Harbinger is a Reaper supposed to be a surprise at the end of ME2? It was presented like a reveal, but players (and Shepard) would have to be pretty dense to not have it figured out.
Walters:
No, it wasn't meant to be a surprise, but it was important that we make the connection clearly at the end of the game. The goal was to reveal just how close the Reapers were to returning to our Galaxy, and to foreshadow the fate of humanity if Shepard failed to stop them.

On the original cover of Mass Effect: Revelation, both of Saren’s arms appear normal. However, in the first game, one of them is clearly made from Geth/Reaper technology. Did this aspect of his design change during development?
Good eye! It is common for most of our characters, especially those as important as Saren, to go through many revisions throughout the course of the game. And it's not just the visual concept – the voice, background, and even the gender of our characters can change (Saren got off lucky with just an arm change!). However, in this case, the difference is because we’re seeing Saren before he was indoctrinated and working with Sovereign (the time period for Revelation was about 18 years prior to the events of Mass Effect).

Why do most of the Reapers we’ve seen so far have similar insect-like appearances? The human Reaper looked different, but otherwise it seems like the Reapers mainly build themselves out of bugs. Is that correct?
The exterior of the Reapers does follow a similar pattern, an efficient design for the purpose they were created for. However each Reaper is created from a unique species, and as we saw at the end of Mass Effect 2, the core of each Reaper is designed in the likeness of that species.

In ME 2, Conrad Verner seems to the think that Shepard held a gun to his face, even if players chose the paragon option in ME 1. Was this just a glitch, or is there some story reason behind this?
Well, it may have been a glitch, or maybe Conrad was just having an off day (even more off than usual). Stay tuned in Mass Effect 3 to see how Verner deals with this embarrassing misstep with Shepard.

Where is the Illusive Man physically located during the course of Mass Effect 2? What’s going on with that colorful cosmic display outside his window?
The colorful cosmic display is a clue to the location of the Illusive Man, which I can't reveal. Not yet.

Pants 04-21-2011 12:25 PM

I always thought that the background behind the Illusive Man was Sol?

keg in kc 04-21-2011 03:20 PM

Huge, huge, huge article in PS3 Magazine, I'll link to some scans. The biggest deal is that one of the pages specifically states that Kaiden/Ashley are squadmates, as are Garrus and Liara. Not just cameos, but squadmates. They also show an image with the new squaddie James Sanders, and it's a still of the guy with the sniper rifle from the London trailer (I thought Bioware had already debunked this?).

http://lo-ping.org/2011/04/21/mass-e...admate-reveal/

Kraus 04-23-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7581844)
I always thought that the background behind the Illusive Man was Sol?

The only clues I remember seeing were from Mass Effect: Retribution.

"The unnamed space station he used as his base was orbiting a red giant-class M star."

keg in kc 05-04-2011 12:27 PM

Looks like it's been delayed just a shade. Which is probably a good thing
Quote:

Originally Posted by ME2 Facebook
Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.” - Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series

link

(The first picture at that link is ****ing AWESOME)

keg in kc 05-06-2011 11:11 PM

ME3's the cover story in June's PC Gamer. I've heard (cough) you may find scans here. Here are details borrowed from elsewhere on the net:
Quote:

Tali is confirmed squadmate
"Garrus, Liara, Kaidan, Ashley and (newly confirmed) Tali are all full
time members of your team if they survived the previous games."

-Wrex?
"I asked point blank about Wrex and got as close to a 'no' as Ithink Bioware will come at this early stage:exceutive producer Casey Hudson simply re-emphasised that such characters canplay a role and fight alongside you without necessarily being permanent squad members."

-No new LIs in ME3

-Biotics are more potent in combat
"Biotics can use their Pull ability to rip a shield out of someone's hands"

-Multi Layered combat areas
"The games combat spaces have graduated from the often-familiar open areas dotted with low walls. They're now multi layed encouraging you to seek high ground for a better vantage point...[the rest is about Cerberus rocket boot dudes using this to their advantage]

-****Specific Melee attacks
Engineer:Omni-tool fire lash attack
Adept: Melee (biotic) attack that knocks everyone near them away and stuns

-Powers Evolve more than once
"In ME3 this is just the start. A Vanguard player can customise their devastating Charge move first to slam people harder, then do more damage, then to reduce the cooldown.

-Powers combine
Example given with Soldier: "Soldier still has an arcing attack called Concussive Shot, but it now behaves differently depending on the ammo ugrade he/she is using. Cryo ammo lets you use that same trajectory to deliver a blast of ice that canfreeze every enemy in the area."

-Story is more like ME1 than ME2

-Places being visited (at least what the Magazine reports):
...mission takes you to the Salarian homeworld, the Quarian homeworld, the Asari homeworld, and the human homeworld - Earth. You'll even go to Mars ...

-Every major character you have met will play a role in the last game.

-Reaperized enemies include Asari, Krogan, Rachni
"In Mass Effect 3 we'll fight the Reapers other experiments, with other species.
One is a hideously bloated pregnant Asari, her gums stripped away and a robot skeleton showing through her rotting flesh"

"The Reapers take on the Rachni, who were already viscious insect monsters,are covered with bulging savs of lesser creatures. Rather than hitting their weak spot for massive damage, you want to avoid it like the plague: bursting any of these sacs before the creature is dead wit will unleash a swarm of horrible mini-rachni that crawl all over your body"

"The Reaperised Krogan wears heavy armor plates that can shear off with enough focused fire. Once you do the creature changes its behaviour to be more defensive clutching its lurid blue intestines to its stomach as its lumbers towards you"

Casey Hudson summarizing ME3 (This is an article quote):
"Casey sums up Mass Effect 3 as being about victory through sacrifice, the scale of that sacrifice has been increasing with each new chapter" [Rest is authors speculation about saving(or not saving) Wrex and Rachni consequences

-New enemy fighting patterns.

Enemies now have new gear and fighting patters like roit sheild to block shots and rocket boot to higher vantage points. Also, fights are now multilayered. The new rule for ME3 combat is Veteran is the new normal.

keg in kc 06-02-2011 11:27 AM

Write up on IGN about ME3 combat: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1172200p1.html
Quote:

Mass Effect 3 plays like a shooter.

Sure, Mass Effect games have always looked like shooters, but they've never really played like them. Yeah, you pointed and shot at things, but the less tangible particulars of combat have always eluded BioWare's sci-fi epic. Gunplay in Mass Effect was a clunky exercise in behind-the-scenes dice rolls, RPG-style. Mass Effect 2's battles weren't the chore they often were in the original, but they weren't what anyone paid the price of admission for. The cover mechanic was limited in comparison to dedicated third person action games, and guns lacked any sort of oomph.
Quote:

It all felt like a different game, like a different series even. Where Mass Effect 2 felt like a slightly tighter Mass Effect combat-wise, Mass Effect 3 is in an entirely different space. The familiar elements that need to be there are intact - powers and talents are still in the same menu wheel structure, and weapon types remain unchanged. You're not going to select an assault rifle and be shocked by its looks. But you will be taken aback by how well it works. I was. And now the wait to play Mass Effect 3 until 2012 is that much harder.

keg in kc 06-02-2011 11:59 AM

Might have to catch this...
Quote:

I just heard from Geoff Keighley that Spike TV will be carrying your first look at the Mass Effect 3 E3 demo.

Geoff said that on Monday June 6 fans should tune into SPIKE TV for the first look at the Mass Effect 3 E3 demo. GAMECHANGERS : EA 2011 Preview will air LIVE on Spike TV next Monday, June 6 at 3:30pm ET/ 12:30 PT.

Make sure you tune in to Spike TV to catch your first look at Mass Effect 3 LIVE from E3!

keg in kc 06-02-2011 12:08 PM

Another IGN read, this time on decisions from ME1 and 2 impacting 3: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172194p1.html
Quote:

It won't be easy. This is full blown galactic war and to many, the battle appears hopeless. How can any army possibly defeat the Reapers? Forget about earning the trust of individual allies -- you must unite warring factions to one purpose. Returning to Earth with anything less than a galactic armada would mean failure. In Mass Effect 2, you helped Jack deal with her past and tracked down Samara's daughter for a family reunion. Here, the stakes are higher and the importance of each mission is going to be greater.

One example of these unifying missions comes about halfway through Mass Effect 3. Shepard and crew have journeyed to the Salarian homeworld, Sur'Kesh, to rescue a Krogan princess. Yes, she's crazy hot. The princess in question is the key to uniting a divided Krogan homeworld. Mordin Solus is assisting (it is his home planet after all), and naturally the Krogan clan leader Wrex Urdnot has quite an interest in the princess.

But wait, is that team even possible in your version of Mass Effect 3? This is where the branching paths of the first two games begin to really affect the final battle against the Reapers. What if you killed Wrex in the first game? What if Mordin died at the end of Mass Effect 2? What if you gave thumbs up to the Genophage? It's unclear how these choices affect the missions -- maybe losing Mordin just means another character is there in his place -- but in some cases the differences should be significant.

Mass Effect 3 Executive Producer Casey Hudson says that "all things contribute to the war effort." Meaning every major decision from the first two games has an impact. The relationships you've built, and those you need to build going forward, matter.

keg in kc 06-06-2011 03:35 PM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UhlEAyUfmpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 06-06-2011 04:04 PM

First info hitting about Day 1 dlc: apparently we'll have a prothean companion.

And there's going to be an $80 N7 Collector's Edition that I'm seriously contemplating.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/me3/game/order/

Wyatt Earp 06-06-2011 04:54 PM

:drool: :eek:

This is going to be amazing! I can't wait.

keg in kc 06-06-2011 05:00 PM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8K5LuFaCTcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skyy God 06-07-2011 01:44 PM

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1972/2rrtnac.jpg

Wyatt Earp 06-07-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 7683267)

LMAO

keg in kc 06-07-2011 06:25 PM

<object id="vid_4dedb2b52db5b906c7000457" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/06/mass-effect-3-rewind-theater"/></object><div style="width:480px"><a href="http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/06/mass-effect-3-rewind-theater">More Mass Effect 3 Videos</a></div>

Mr. Laz 06-07-2011 07:05 PM

This thread should be labeled NSFW ... keg be fapping all over the place to it.

:D

keg in kc 06-07-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 7684080)
This thread should be labeled NSFW ... keg be fapping all over the place to it.

That would be the TOR thread. ME3 is too far off to get too excited.

keg in kc 06-08-2011 02:42 PM

EA's running a livestream ME3 demo in 20 minutes for anybody else looking to distract themselves from doing actual work (/innocent whistle). Probably the same stuff they've already demoed, but these are usually the best demos (the TOR one yesterday was great).

http://live-event.ea.com/e3/chat/mass-effect

keg in kc 06-08-2011 10:13 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/STNpP7ycKuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 08-16-2011 11:31 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6SoGlDpzFuQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ultra Peanut 08-17-2011 02:36 AM

At this point I think I'd trade Mass Effect 3 for Skate servers that aren't always down.

I hate you so much, EA. :deevee:

keg in kc 08-26-2011 11:16 AM

They're finally demoing the Atlas fight at PAX prime. Just watched one on biowaretv, and it's like the YMIR mech on steroids.

keg in kc 10-17-2011 03:14 PM

Somehow I missed this bit of news last week.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JTJUYv05hVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Quote:

Why is now the time for the series to have multiplayer?
  • Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well.
  • Mass Effect 3 is the best place for us to introduce multiplayer through co-op because of the premise of the game - all out galactic war.
  • We also feel that Mass Effect 3 has the combination of world class combat and progression systems that will make for a fun, addictive multiplayer experience.

Why only co-op? Why not a versus mode?
  • We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign. Fighting together against a common threat was the multiplayer experience that made the most sense for Mass Effect 3.
  • The way we have designed co-op as a way to take control of key conflict zones in the galaxy is a natural extension to the premise of Mass Effect 3.

Why did you decide not to include it as part of the main campaign?
  • Our priority and focus with Mass Effect 3 has and always will be to deliver a complete and satisfying single player experience.
  • The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system is meant to complement that amazing game and we're excited we can give it to our fans as a bonus for those who want to experience Mass Effect in different ways.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?
  • BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, BioWare has a dedicated studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?
  • Commander Shepard's part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara...these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions.
  • In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more... each with their own unique set of abilities.

Including Elcor and Hanar?
  • ...Never say never...

What if I don't like multiplayer - will my experience be negatively impacted?
  • Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer.
  • The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.

What if I am not good at / do not like multiplayer? Will my readiness rating go down?
  • ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one.
  • You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there.
  • It's about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe.
  • We aren't going into any specifics on numbers right now.

Will you be adding any additional maps or modes through DLC?
  • We can't comment on specifics right now, but can confirm that we are planning on having DLC for Mass Effect 3.

Do save games from ME1 or ME2 impact the co-op multiplayer missions?
  • No.

Do characters level up in co-op multiplayer? What is the progression system?
  • Character progression, weapon upgrading and leveling up is present in co-op. We'll release more information on this topic in the months leading up to launch.

Is there more info about the other platforms of Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War?
  • We are not going into details about the other components of the Galaxy at War at this time except to say we are designing each to make sense for that platform.
  • Each component will be able to affect a player's "Galactic Readiness" level in a different way.
  • Again, participation in any or all ME3:GaW elements is entirely optional.

keg in kc 10-23-2011 08:18 PM

There's going to be a demo...
Quote:

Mass Effect 3 will have a pre-release demo in January 2012. This demo will have both single player and multiplayer sections, giving fans a taste of what's to come on March 6, 2012. Be first to the front lines in the multiplayer section of the Mass Effect 3 demo! Redemption of the Online Pass for Battlefield 3 will unlock this early access. But
rallying for war is just getting started - in late November / early December, BioWare will announce other ways for fans to engage the enemy with their friends online from day one!

What are the details of the Mass Effect 3 pre-release demo?

•The Mass Effect 3 pre-release demo will launch in January 2012 (exact date TBA).
•The demo will include both single-player and multi-player sections.
•The demo will be released in all regions where the game is

How can I get early access to the multi-player portion of the Mass Effect 3 demo coming in January 2012?

•Owners of Battlefield 3, on any platform, who activate their Online Pass will automatically be granted early access to the multiplayer portion of the Mass Effect 3 demo. There is no need to enter any other codes, the early access will be applied to the EA Account associated with the Online Pass.
•This applies to all regions where the demo is released (to be announced)
•The exact date of the demo launch will be announced in late November
•There will be another program whereby players and fans of the Mass Effect franchise can unlock this early access (with no purchase necessary) – this will also be announced in late November or early December.
•There will also be a tool posted on www.masseffect.com allowing players to check if their EA account has been granted the early access.
•The length of the early access period is TBA.
•The single-player section of the demo will be available to all players on day one of the demo launch.

Kraus 10-23-2011 08:22 PM

A lot of people don't like the multiplayer addition, but since it is co-op I'm totally down with it. I think Mass Effect would make a great co-op game. The fact that it ties in with the single player is even better.

keg in kc 10-23-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraus (Post 8043169)
A lot of people don't like the multiplayer addition, but since it is co-op I'm totally down with it. I think Mass Effect would make a great co-op game. The fact that it ties in with the single player is even better.

I didn't like it until I understood that it's done by a separate developer and that the development of the singleplayer aspect of the game shouldn't be hindered at all by it. That was really all I was worried about.

keg in kc 12-11-2011 03:40 PM

<div style="background-color:#<div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:724831" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#</p></div></div>

Kraus 01-31-2012 11:53 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hfvo5ueKJY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nyy5fAFw6UM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 01-31-2012 12:05 PM

<div style="background-color:#<div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:episode:gametrailers.com:144" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#</a></p></div></div>

veist 02-13-2012 07:12 PM

Guess I get to mention that it went Gold last night.

https://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson/...34352154136576
Quote:

After an awesome effort by our team, I'm proud to announce #MassEffect3 is officially GOLD! Many surprises await you - this week and beyond.

keg in kc 02-14-2012 05:26 PM

Anyone played the demo yet? Downloading it now.

veist 02-14-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8373611)
Anyone played the demo yet? Downloading it now.

Played through it Vanguard which was my fav class in 1+2 seemed underpowered, Sentinel was okay and Infiltrator's cloak is really fun in combination with their sticky grenades which don't turn the cloak off. Overall its basically ME2 combat but more Gears of War-y but I still despise the ammo system both because its annoyingly small arbitrary ammo limits for certain weapons and the simple fact that it makes neither logical nor narrative sense for the thermal clips to be universal enough that you can pick them up off bads using different weapons but not universal enough that you can use the same ****ing one in an SMG and an assault rifle.

keg in kc 02-14-2012 09:16 PM

I played through as a sentinel. It seems harder than ME2 was. I really love the changes to the way you level up powers.

veist 02-14-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8374074)
I played through as a sentinel. It seems harder than ME2 was. I really love the changes to the way you level up powers.

The enemies are less dumb than in ME2, I mean don't forget that you're getting stuck into a mission that normally you'd have had some learning curve for before you hit it. Just remember that you can roll around and dodge now while you sprint for the nearest convenient hip high wall between you and people shooting at you.

keg in kc 02-14-2012 09:50 PM

The challenging part for me was the atlas walker at the very end. The first time I tried it, I ran up to the area on the side so I could snipe it from safety, not realizing that all of Cerberus was going to drop in on top of me. It was pretty funny.

veist 02-15-2012 01:05 AM

What'd you do, not play lair of the shadow broker? lol

keg in kc 02-15-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veist (Post 8374419)
What'd you do, not play lair of the shadow broker? lol

What the **** does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

I don't think I've played Mass Effect 2 at all since Arrival was released, which would have been nearly a year ago (end of March 2011 IIRC).

veist 02-15-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8374422)
What the **** does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

I don't think I've played Mass Effect 2 at all since Arrival was released, which would have been nearly a year ago (end of March 2011 IIRC).

Like every firefight in that they do that shit to you is all, at least on insanity.

keg in kc 02-15-2012 01:26 AM

I just didn't expect it there, being the first look at the Atlas. But who knows, that might not even be the first look at the Atlas. Who knows how far into the game that actually is.

Either way, I'm not saying it was a bad thing; it was funny. I ran up there, got all comfy with my assault rifle and then all of a sudden I'm getting knifed from behind. That to me is high comedy. As long as I'm not having to roll back a half hour.

keg in kc 02-15-2012 01:29 AM

I been thinking lately about whether I'm going to play through the first two games again. Can't quite decide. Part of me wants to, but another part of me doesn't want to stop playing SWTOR. I guess theoretically I can finish ME1 in about 15 hours, and then get through ME2 in probably 20. I finished all the achievements for both games years ago, so it's not like I need to play any of it on insanity again.

veist 02-15-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8374427)
I just didn't expect it there, being the first look at the Atlas. But who knows, that might not even be the first look at the Atlas. Who knows how far into the game that actually is.

Either way, I'm not saying it was a bad thing; it was funny. I ran up there, got all comfy with my assault rifle and then all of a sudden I'm getting knifed from behind. That to me is high comedy. As long as I'm not having to roll back a half hour.

Hah, I think I died 4 times in Lair on insanity and every time it was a rocket drone spawn behind/next to where I'd moved for cover.

Pants 02-15-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8374430)
I been thinking lately about whether I'm going to play through the first two games again. Can't quite decide. Part of me wants to, but another part of me doesn't want to stop playing SWTOR. I guess theoretically I can finish ME1 in about 15 hours, and then get through ME2 in probably 20. I finished all the achievements for both games years ago, so it's not like I need to play any of it on insanity again.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel. I'm not even going to buy ME3 when it comes out because I'm WAY into SWTOR right now. Way to cannibalize yourself, BioWare. :D

keg in kc 02-15-2012 05:11 PM

I finally pre-ordered it this morning.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Esung4vdTCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

veist 02-15-2012 10:55 PM

I've been playing the multiplayer this evening, kinda fun. No real shortage of ammo in there as there are ammo dumps liberally spaced in the maps. Its co-op randomly selected waves that get progressively harder, mostly its defend against a wave of attackers but some of the waves you have to go secure objectives before a timer runs out or go find specific enemies and kill them before time runs out. Rather than the radar hud your teammates basically glow blue and you can see them through walls to keep track of everyone. Its pretty fun all in all I thought.

Wallcrawler 02-15-2012 11:02 PM

Loved the demo, but especially loved the voice commands with my Kinect.

I cannot put into words how awesome it was to blaze through those firefights and not have to pause the action a single time for the ability wheel. I could just call out "Stasis", and Liara would have my target stunned so I could commence to raping.

Being able to just call out those abilities, including my own really made it feel like I was actually leading this team and not just playing a game. Hell, I cleared one section without even pressing any buttons. Just saying stuff like "Grenade", "Proximity Mine", "Singularity", and just watching the carnage unfold.

Being able to call out ammo type and watch my character instantly change ammo was just super sweet. Usually with voice commands, games Ive played with just AI tend to falter and you end up repeating and stuff, but not this time. I didnt even have to raise my voice. It actually changed my ammo type for me when I was explaining to my brother about what each ammo type does.

Such a badass use of the Kinect for this game. Cant wait for it to release.

Kraus 02-15-2012 11:31 PM

Played some multiplayer with two of my friends tonight and had a blast. Never made it through 10 waves, though one match we got to wave 10 and got about halfway through it.

MoreLemonPledge 02-15-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8376863)
Loved the demo, but especially loved the voice commands with my Kinect.

I cannot put into words how awesome it was to blaze through those firefights and not have to pause the action a single time for the ability wheel. I could just call out "Stasis", and Liara would have my target stunned so I could commence to raping.

Being able to just call out those abilities, including my own really made it feel like I was actually leading this team and not just playing a game. Hell, I cleared one section without even pressing any buttons. Just saying stuff like "Grenade", "Proximity Mine", "Singularity", and just watching the carnage unfold.

Being able to call out ammo type and watch my character instantly change ammo was just super sweet. Usually with voice commands, games Ive played with just AI tend to falter and you end up repeating and stuff, but not this time. I didnt even have to raise my voice. It actually changed my ammo type for me when I was explaining to my brother about what each ammo type does.

Such a badass use of the Kinect for this game. Cant wait for it to release.

I must have missed a tutorial for the Kinect features or something. I actually forgot they were even there until the very end. Even then I had no clue what commands to use.

veist 02-16-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraus (Post 8376916)
Played some multiplayer with two of my friends tonight and had a blast. Never made it through 10 waves, though one match we got to wave 10 and got about halfway through it.

When you get one of those hunt the target waves on wave 10 its so lame. Almost without fail you get an Atlas as your first target and you really need the right party setup to rape an Atlas in under a minute or whatever they give you.

Wallcrawler 02-16-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 8376927)
I must have missed a tutorial for the Kinect features or something. I actually forgot they were even there until the very end. Even then I had no clue what commands to use.

No tutorial needed. You simply say the name of the ability you want executed.

Hold down the bumper to display your action wheel, and all of the abilities have their names above them.

Want to heal while sprinting your ass off? Just say "First Aid".

In the full game, when you have multiple characters with the same ability, you will have to say their name and then the ability. For instance if you are a biotic, and you have Liara on your team, and both of you have Singularity you will have to say "Liara: Singularity" if you want her to use it. Otherwise, it will be your character performing the action.

All of the commands and abilities used through voice will be targetted at where your crosshair is pointing. If you want your team to engage other enemies, with the ability so you can focus elsewhere, you can still go to the radial menu and select targets/abilities. This will probably be necessary in places where there are just so many enemies that you need all 3 of your actions to happen instantly, instead of just one at a time.

The biggest problem this alleviates for me is the lack of hotkeys for abilities. Ill be able to use whatever ability I want just by simply saying its name. It will also cut down on the time spent interrupting the flow of combat by entering the radial menu to issue ability commands to my teammates.

veist 02-17-2012 04:27 AM

After playing a bunch of the multiplayer I have to say its probably gotten me more excited about the game than the campaign demo.

Imon Yourside 02-20-2012 08:20 AM

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/120216.jpg