ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Planetside 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267452)

DC.chief 12-07-2012 11:46 AM

Planetside 2

I believe it was just released at the end of november. I really don't know much about it. An old friend of mine said he's been waiting years and years for it. So have any of you played it yet and what do you think?

thecoffeeguy 12-07-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC.chief (Post 9187681)
I believe it was just released at the end of november. I really don't know much about it. An old friend of mine said he's been waiting years and years for it. So have any of you played it yet and what do you think?

Ya, I have started to play it and I like it. You can sink a ton of money to get 'station cash' to buy weapons and stuff. Not sure how I feel about that though as you can buy 'better' weapons.

It really gets fun when you get a good squad and work as a group. If you get a bunch of guys in your squad who think they are Rambo and shit, it doesnt work that way.

I REALLY like how large the battles can be. Ground troops, tanks, air fights going on. Pretty intense at time. The maps are gigantic. Tons of territory to fight in.

I'll say this though. There is a learning curve. Expect to get your butt kicked when you first start to play. Once you get the hang of it, its a lot of fun.

QuikSsurfer 12-07-2012 12:57 PM

I read this as Planescape (torment)...

**leaves disappointed**

hometeam 12-07-2012 09:01 PM

Played the beta a few times. Was pretty terrible.

GoShox 12-08-2012 03:03 AM

Just installed it, really like BF3 and heard it was pretty similar but better so I figured why not since it's free to play. I guess I'll report my findings in here..

hometeam 12-08-2012 09:46 AM

Its like bf3 if 3 year olds made it.

Trevo_410 12-09-2012 04:57 PM

played it since beta, impressed me enough to get alpha squad and have been hooked since released. Yes, it is f2p, however, all weapons/upgrades are obtainable by in game currency... much like the other successful f2p's you only NEED to spend irl money on aesthetics or to speed up progress.

I for one don't think i'd like it if i wasn't always in a group of people i know like i am now and have heard others stories about how much it sucks trying to solo in this game.. It's a base defense/capture game with maps 200x the size of caspian border... get a team and play tactically sound and this game is irresistible.

The problem i had was the engine which is sometimes inconsistant. The graphics are nowhere near that of battlefield. I'm not sure with the maps being as big as they are, that they need to be detailed anymore than they're now.

Awesome game.

Valiant 12-10-2012 11:52 AM

Loved the first one. But to enjoy these games you need a minimum of four to five friends. Then you need to be in a clan.

Do that and you will have tons of fun.

GoShox 12-10-2012 05:39 PM

Here's my thoughts after playing a fair amount over the weekend:

So you start off landing from a drop pod in the middle of a large battle with no idea what you're supposed to do besides kill enemies. It's kind of neat in a way, but it can be frustrating when you're not sure what you're supposed to do. And, to be fair, it takes a good amount of time to figure out what you're supposed to do.

There's three factions in the game, which I kinda like because it makes battles a lot more interesting. I've been in large battles where all three factions were involved and you'd have to divide your attention appropriately, which was cool.

Speaking of the battles in this game, they're awesome. Someone said earlier that this game is much more enjoyable when you're playing with friends, and that's simply the truth. Going solo is still enjoyable, but moving with a group is just more fun. You can join squads in game, which hold up to 12 people, and allow for voice chat. You can also join an "outfit", which is just a large clan. Being in battles with a bunch of people around you is awesome. There's a lot of action going on with masses of infantry, tons of tanks and helicopters all firing at each other.. it's pretty sweet.

Oh yeah, you will die a lot. When you start out you're really weak. The upgrade system is similar to League of Legends if you've ever played it: You can buy upgrades with real money, but you can also earn them just by playing the game, getting kills, capturing bases, etc. I don't care for spending money on games when I can get the upgrades in time regardless, but it's up to you.

Each server has three different continents and each continent is HUGE. This sucks because sometimes you'll spawn at a base and it'll take a while to reach the ongoing battle. Fortunately most bases allow you to spawn vehicles like Jeeps that make traveling much, much faster. You can also deploy to APC's, assuming that your allies have an upgrade that costs like 50 in-game points. These become very important in battles because if you can reinforce at a better rate than your enemies, you stand a better chance of winning.

Needless to say, the game has grown on me quite a bit in the short time I've played it. Hope this helps!

Sofa King 01-22-2013 11:35 PM

This hasn't been too bad. Some dipshit named Pestilence12 just logged in. Made me chuckle thinking it could be the same doucher from this site.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-25-2013 09:59 AM

Dust 514 will be better.

Ming the Merciless 07-21-2013 11:22 PM

I just checked this game again out after trying it briefly a few months ago....

it has come pretty far....I really like it.

It takes a bit of work to learn how to find the kind of battles you want BUT

huge , sprawling battles with mixed air/ground/grunts

teamwork

or you can lonewolf, but you miss a lot of the fun

anyhow if anyone is playing, i'm on the west coast server (connery)

its great, and FREE!

Trevo_410 07-22-2013 09:37 PM

It takes a lot coordination for this game to be fun enough for me to continue playing. The first month I was more of the lone wolf and I usually just followed the zerg of Tanks/Reavers... that got way too boring and i have no idea why i never quit after that.

However, one day this hardcore small ops group inv me to their outfit... which lead to some of the funnest gaming moments I've ever had. They were bf3 clan with both ex military and hardcore fps strategist. When you were rolling with them on PS2 they expected you to treat it like it was a live battleground. There wasn't much room for bullshitting or dazing off during a battle or you'd likely be kicked instantly.

Every single person had a role and knew it. When i joined them for the first time, they were new as well and eventually we all committed to one class and got all of our certs into that one class till we were maxed and able to build up a secondary class. Eventually, they had event schedules online where it was mandatory to sign up for so the outfit leader could make the ideal raid compositions/vehicle duties beforehand.

We had training nights a couple nights a week just to go over basic base capture/defense on a lot of bases our empire already had control to simulate and practice what we'd be doing the next battle night. Probably sounds like way to much but when you get coordination between squad/fireteam based infantry/ armor support/air support/and transportation the game goes from being a 8.5 on gamespot to 10. We easily took out zergs of 48 plus just with 2-3(at most) squads most of the time. just awesome.

They sadly moved back to bf3 a few months ago and with them, I quit after boredom and the inability to finding a outfit like that.

gl.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-23-2013 07:32 AM

Dust 514 is not better.

Pants 07-26-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 9828387)
It takes a lot coordination for this game to be fun enough for me to continue playing. The first month I was more of the lone wolf and I usually just followed the zerg of Tanks/Reavers... that got way too boring and i have no idea why i never quit after that.

However, one day this hardcore small ops group inv me to their outfit... which lead to some of the funnest gaming moments I've ever had. They were bf3 clan with both ex military and hardcore fps strategist. When you were rolling with them on PS2 they expected you to treat it like it was a live battleground. There wasn't much room for bullshitting or dazing off during a battle or you'd likely be kicked instantly.

Every single person had a role and knew it. When i joined them for the first time, they were new as well and eventually we all committed to one class and got all of our certs into that one class till we were maxed and able to build up a secondary class. Eventually, they had event schedules online where it was mandatory to sign up for so the outfit leader could make the ideal raid compositions/vehicle duties beforehand.

We had training nights a couple nights a week just to go over basic base capture/defense on a lot of bases our empire already had control to simulate and practice what we'd be doing the next battle night. Probably sounds like way to much but when you get coordination between squad/fireteam based infantry/ armor support/air support/and transportation the game goes from being a 8.5 on gamespot to 10. We easily took out zergs of 48 plus just with 2-3(at most) squads most of the time. just awesome.

They sadly moved back to bf3 a few months ago and with them, I quit after boredom and the inability to finding a outfit like that.

gl.

As far as video games go, there aren't too many things that are more fun than a competitive FPS match with good teamwork.