ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Meta discussion about Game of Thrones threads (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292992)

DaFace 06-16-2015 01:30 PM

Meta discussion about Game of Thrones threads

It's come up in both threads at this point, so I thought it might be useful to have a place to discuss it in depth:

Should we have one blended GOT thread going forward or two?

Use this thread to discuss your opinions. I'll throw up a poll to try and quantify how people are feeling.

DaFace 06-16-2015 01:44 PM

From my perspective, there are two main plotlines that are still out there that COULD end up being in the show: one that book readers will recognize as LSH, and a lot of story about the Greyjoy family that has thus far been completely left out of the show. In addition, there is a little action in Old Town still, as well as a little bit of Arya being blinded, though I honestly think both of those are pretty low risk in terms of MAJOR spoilers.

However, there's years of theories about what's going to happen in the future based off of events that are in the books which are similar, but not identical, to the show. Those can possibly be considered spoilers, though they're not necessarily concrete.

So to me, the big questions are:

1. Do show watchers at this point WANT to know more about the context that can be provided by the books? And are you willing to risk something showing up later that you knew about to get it?
2. Are book readers willing to use spoiler tags for stuff like LSH and the Greyjoys just in case they show up?

That said, I barely remember half of what's in the books at this point, so there may be more in there that's important than I'm remembering.

Amnorix 06-16-2015 01:45 PM

At this point, there are no spoilers, there is no speculation. There are very few things that could be "spoilered" from a book versus tv show point of view.

I can think of literally ONE thing.

Spoiler!

Amnorix 06-16-2015 01:46 PM

The Greyjoy plotline is pretty clearly NOT going to follow the books, at this point. I guess they could go back to it, but it seems unlikely now. It does sound like, based on a season 6 casting call, that Euron Greyjoy might be in next year, but who knows what direction that goes in.

LSH is out. I haven't heard/seen any rumor of anything regarding her being in the show. I guess she COULD show up, but nothing that I have heard.

DaFace 06-16-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 11551617)
The Greyjoy plotline is pretty clearly NOT going to follow the books, at this point. I guess they could go back to it, but it seems unlikely now. It does sound like, based on a season 6 casting call, that Euron Greyjoy might be in next year, but who knows what direction that goes in.

LSH is out. I haven't heard/seen any rumor of anything regarding her being in the show. I guess she COULD show up, but nothing that I have heard.

That's kind of my take. I'd say the chances of either of those showing up in the show is <10% at this point, so they are almost fair game as long as people who haven't read the books aren't opposed to having the flood gates opened about differences between the show and books.

frankotank 06-16-2015 02:13 PM

well as a show only dude....I've read some fascinating things today. not really sure how you guys can remember all that crap!

but for all the theories about Jon....I am feeling quite positive he will be on the show next season. after all...."they" have said very specifically that "he is dead".

so what. one way or another I'm sure now that he'll be back. love the possibility of him being one of the three riders.

NewChief 06-16-2015 02:18 PM

I don't think it really matters at this point, personally.

Hell, I "spoilered" a friend of mine who has read all the books (but doesn't participate in online discussions or anything) about the possibility of Jon being half Targaryen and the theories about Tyrion/Jon/Dany being three riders. He's read the books and watched the shows, but he was completely ignorant about all the theories floating around out there.

So I guess the point is: whether you've read the books/shows or not, you're either the type of person who wants spoilers/discussion or doesn't. And if you don't want discussion, then why the hell are you on a discussion board? So, make one thread.

kcfanXIII 06-16-2015 02:57 PM

I like the two threads part because if I want to know something about the books, I can go in there and discuss or ask questions, but I still have the ability to discuss in the spoiler free thread, and not have anything spoiled.

An example, Lady Stoneheart. I have no idea what her story is or where she comes from. If the shows want to bring her into it, I'd like to not have that portion spoiled.

Just my .02, ultimately, I will still come to Cheifsplanet to discuss new episodes. (even if I have sworn off the show like a Chief's fan swears off football in January.)

mr. tegu 06-16-2015 03:27 PM

This is may be a good barometer. I have no idea what the "three riders" is. It sounds like something mentioned in the books but it clearly isn't anything that has been resolved and as far as I can recall it hasn't been mentioned in the show.

Something like that seems like it could be discussed amongst both groups of people and provide some good back story. Speculation, even if based on events not in the show, is still just speculation.

MagicHef 06-16-2015 03:57 PM

It should be up to the show-only folk. As a book reader, I have no problem using spoilers, but having only one thread definitely opens up the possibility of someone forgetting to use spoilers.

Red Brooklyn 06-16-2015 04:01 PM

Keep two threads. A show thread and a book thread. There's a lot in the books that isn't in the show. Plus, we'll need two threads again if Book 6 somehow manages to come out before Season 6.

ModSocks 06-16-2015 04:07 PM

So....no resolution or theories about the Tyrells?

Margaery was a hottie....hate to see her go.

ModSocks 06-16-2015 04:11 PM

As far as the two thread thing goes, idc. Book readers say there's nothing left to spoil, then so be it, i trust them. I kinda spoiled the last season anyway....not only that but it's pretty hard to stay away from spoiler, even unintentional ones. People have been screaming "JON SNOW DIES" since last year.

DaFace 06-16-2015 04:14 PM

Maybe it doesn't matter then. The book thread focuses more on the books, but obviously has a lot of discussion about the shows. The show thread focuses more on the show, but here and there people will chime in with insights from the books. And maybe that's fine.

The main thing I don't like are 10 posts in a row that all use spoiler tags. If it's that spolier-y, it should be in the spoiler thread in the first place.

MagicHef 06-16-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11551850)
So....no resolution or theories about the Tyrells?

Margaery was a hottie....hate to see her go.

Huh, I guess there's another spoiler:

Spoiler!