ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Geno Smith is not worth the 1st overall pick (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268320)

Setsuna 01-01-2013 01:25 PM

Give him credit. He didn't compare him to another black QB. He did Alex Smith first.

Tombstone RJ 01-01-2013 01:25 PM

there still a lot of stuff to learn about these QBs before the draft. The combine will also be very telling, that is, can these QBs make all the throws, etc. As of now, I kind of agree in that I don't see Geno as a #1 QB draft pick, but then again, what choice does kc really have?

Baby Lee 01-01-2013 01:25 PM

I can respect the 'Geno has demonstrated the skill set to justify a #1 pick' take.

Less so the 'just get a QB already, if he fails just try again' crowd.

Buckweath 01-01-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9264434)
I can respect the 'Geno has demonstrated the skill set to justify a #1 pick' take.

This league is all about trying to find an elite QB.

htismaqe 01-01-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9264434)

The justification behind the latter stance is firmly rooted in solid logic. The new CBA renders the old "drafting the wrong QB sets your franchise back years" idea completely obsolete.

Geno has demonstrated the skill set AND if he fails, just try again.

htismaqe 01-01-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9264433)
there still a lot of stuff to learn about these QBs before the draft. The combine will also be very telling, that is, can these QBs make all the throws, etc. As of now, I kind of agree in that I don't see Geno as a #1 QB draft pick, but then again, what choice does kc really have?

MANTI!!!

Bowser 01-01-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9264433)

None, really.

The combine is a double edged sword. For some reason, the national media has taken to stats as the contributing factor as to how a player plays. Some guy swill rise tremendously due to great workouts, and others will fall becasue of them. I'm of the belief that you have to trust what you see on the game tape over what they show working out in gym shorts.

Case in point - Jared Allen only benched 225 like 14 times, or some such low-ish number at the combine. Show me a team that wouldn't want him on their roster today.

Baby Lee 01-01-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 9264439)
This league is all about trying to find an elite QB.

That effort goes beyond 'are you a QB and are you declaring yourself draft eligible?'

Due diligence is ALWAYS owed to determine

1. Is this guy set up to be a success
2. Is he better than any other QB available to our organization
3. Is he better than all other draft picks.

kingme20 01-01-2013 01:32 PM

I would say sam bradford

notorious 01-01-2013 01:32 PM

The combine will work a lot of this bullshit out.

Buckweath 01-01-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9264456)
That effort goes beyond 'are you a QB and are you declaring yourself draft eligible?'

Brilliant!!

Gonzo 01-01-2013 01:41 PM

Geno is a 1st round QB. I have no doubt in my mind. He will be a damn good NFL QB if not top tier.
We have a 1st round selection and I don't care what position it is, 1st overall, 10th or 32nd. If you have the opportunity to grab him, you ****ing take it.

If he ends up being dogshit, fine. Do it again and again until you get it right. Don't get gunshy, (like this franchise did after Blackledge) because that's how you win in this league, (unless you luck out and get a Manning via FA because he wants to bump peni with Elway).

See:
Packers
Giants
Redskins
Ravens
49ers
Etc. etc. etc.

Setsuna 01-01-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9264445)
MANTI!!!

You'll change your tune once Yeldon and Lacey run him over. Geno is worth any pick in any round but it's whoever gets him first, might as well with the first overall pick or the Jags might do it or trade down so someone else can do it.

RealSNR 01-01-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9264456)

In Geno's case:

1. Yes
2. Are you ****ing shitting me? Yes.
3. Yes

Looks like a winner.

And I would say that Tyler Wilson is a "yes" to all three questions as well

Baby Lee 01-01-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9264484)
Geno is a 1st round QB. I have no doubt in my mind. He will be a damn good NFL QB if not top tier.
We have a 1st round selection and I don't care what position it is, 1st overall, 10th or 32nd. If you have the opportunity to grab him, you ****ing take it.

If he ends up being dogshit, fine. Do it again and again until you get it right. Don't get gunshy, (like this franchise did after Blackledge) because that's how you win in this league, (unless you luck out and get a Manning via FA because he wants to bump peni with Elway).

See:
Packers
Giants
Redskins
Ravens
49ers
Etc. etc. etc.

See, for me those two statements fail the smell test.

This widget is EXACTLY what you need, I unequivocally guarantee it.

What if it isn't?

Oh well, then go get something else.