ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Anyone ever own a pet lizard/reptile? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268702)

Richard_Cuckold 01-10-2013 01:07 AM

Anyone ever own a pet lizard/reptile?

Growing up I owned a good amount of reptiles (turtles, iguanas, anoles etc) but that was when I was a kid.

I'm now approaching 30 and looking to get a new pet(s). I've considered getting a dog or cat but thats sorta cliche and kinda wanna get a cool lizard.

I'm thinking either a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon. I've read up on both of them and they seem like they would be pretty easy to take care of. The downside to a bearded dragon is that they get huge and eat a TON. But the upside is that they are friendly/docile creatures that like human interaction.

Leopard Geckos dont eat as much and are also docile/friendly but they are nocturnal and usually only come out at night(spend most of their days hiding/sleeping)

Has anyone here owned a gecko or bearded dragon? Any advice would be great! THanks

Phobia 01-10-2013 01:11 AM

There's a reason dogs and cats are cliche. They're good pets. If you want to avoid then buy a sabertooth tiger. If you want a loyal pet that is easy to care for, get a dog. Don't not buy a dog simply because a lot of people own them. If you want a dog then get a dog.

Silock 01-10-2013 01:15 AM

Lizards are awful pets. They are okay to look at, but they don't appreciate you like a furry pet does.

My leopard gecko was a little bitch. Never warmed up to being handled, and was always hiding. I adopted him out.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:23 AM

Asfar as my personal herp experiences go:

LP geckos are easy to take care of generally friendly but can be less than enthused, and are rather easy pets. Won't typically bite or be fussy in terms of eating.

As for bearded dragons:

Much smarter than people give them credit for. Can seem rather lethargic at times but they also go crazy.

If you're truly interested in a lizard and don't have many limitations, I'd reccommend a Black-Throat Monitor. Exceptionally docile, smart, loyal, and are truly breathtaking once you've raised one. They get a bt large so if you have other pets it can be a problem. However, they can be trained to an extent, are pretty dam smart as far as monitors go, and are docile to boot. Pretty cool lizards.

For the love of god, don't get a Croc monitor. Those ****ers are nasty, bitey, and their teeth are wicked. I had a guy tell me a story once about how he nearly bled out from a 3 month old from a bite to the wrist. They're aggressive, easily agitated, and generally regarded as pricks. Black throat monitors, not at all IMO

Bump 01-10-2013 01:29 AM

I had a roommate.
His roommates moved out a few months before I moved in.
The old roommate left behind a snake.
My old roommates scared of snakes.
I moved in and there is a snake in a cage in the living room.
It was mad as ****.
Because it was hungry.
My old roommate scared of snakes.
Never fed it.
I went to the damn pet store to buy live mice.
That thing bit me when I opened the cage to feed it.
I screamed like a bitch.
Then I regained composure and fed the damn thing.

Snakes should not be pets people! They certainly should not be.

Saccopoo 01-10-2013 01:29 AM

I watched my brother's Nile Moniter tear apart baby chickens piece by piece. Blood and feathers and squealing...

And he made his kids watch the feedings.

They are pretty ****ed up kids now.

So, yeah, go get a reptile.

I hear they are really cuddlely and cute and you can take them for walks and they'll do tricks for treats and all that fun shit.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302134)
I had a roommate.
His roommates moved out a few months before I moved in.
The old roommate left behind a snake.
My old roommates scared of snakes.
I moved in and there is a snake in a cage in the living room.
It was mad as ****.
Because it was hungry.
My old roommate scared of snakes.
Never fed it.
I went to the damn pet store to buy live mice.
That thing bit me when I opened the cage to feed it.
I screamed like a bitch.
Then I regained composure and fed the damn thing.

Snakes should not be pets people! They certainly should not be.

I disagree. I've had plenty of snakes both wild caught and bred that were excellent pets.

Bump 01-10-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302136)
I disagree. I've had plenty of snakes both wild caught and bred that were excellent pets.

really? Did you guys form a bond? I just felt bad for that thing man, it was small ass cage, it's not right in that situation. I don't know what yours is though.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9302135)
I watched my brother's Nile Moniter tear apart baby chickens piece by piece. Blood and feathers and squealing...

And he made his kids watch the feedings.

They are pretty ****ed up kids now.

So, yeah, go get a reptile.

I hear they are really cuddlely and cute and you can take them for walks and they'll do tricks for treats and all that fun shit.

You can do that shit with a Black-Throat. Not a nile. JFC, what was your bro thinking? ROFL

Seriously, Nile's have a nasty temperament. Do not want.

If you're getting a monitor, you go black-throat or svannah unless you're doing studies and they aren't pets.

cosmo20002 01-10-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Harrow (Post 9302100)
Growing up I owned a good amount of reptiles (turtles, iguanas, anoles etc) but that was when I was a kid.

I'm now approaching 30 and looking to get a new pet(s). I've considered getting a dog or cat but thats sorta cliche and kinda wanna get a cool lizard.

Has anyone here owned a gecko or bearded dragon? Any advice would be great! THanks

A guy I knew had a couple of lizards and after awhile he couldn't "get it up," if you know what I mean. Dr. said he was suffering from a reptile dysfunction.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302137)
really? Did you guys form a bond? I just felt bad for that thing man, it was small ass cage, it's not right in that situation. I don't know what yours is though.

The times I kept snakes, I had an oversized cage that mixed both artificial sand, branches, and living vegetation. Additionally, I didn't typically keep them for very long as most were WC (wild-caught). I'll say that all of the kings, milks, rat snakes, and most racers warmed up pretty quickly. However, I didn't keep them for more than 3 weeks.

The hots I caught (copperheads) actually warmed up fairly quickly, which was surprising to me. They were fine with me free handling them to an extent ( limited persons in the room, no noise, etc).

Bump 01-10-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9302140)
A guy I knew had a couple of lizards and after awhile he couldn't "get it up," if you know what I mean. Dr. said he was suffering from a reptile dysfunction.

What do you call a lizard that sings for Bad Boy Records?

A Rap-tile

Bump 01-10-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302142)
The times I kept snakes, I had an oversized cage that mixed both artificial sand, branches, and living vegetation. Additionally, I didn't typically keep them for very long as most were WC (wild-caught). I'll say that all of the kings, milks, rat snakes, and most racers warmed up pretty quickly. However, I didn't keep them for more than 3 weeks.

The hots I caught (copperheads) actually warmed up fairly quickly, which was surprising to me. They were fine with me free handling them to an extent ( limited persons in the room, no noise, etc).

damn, you have bigger balls than I do free handing a copperhead

CrazyPhuD 01-10-2013 01:39 AM

I have a pet trouser snake does that count? :shrug:

(come on someone had to say it! This place be slippin!)

Munson 01-10-2013 01:43 AM

Lot lizards don't make great pets. LMAO

Richard_Cuckold 01-10-2013 01:47 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I really appreciate some of your insight

I do LOVE dogs and cats and owned a cat for 17 years (she passed away from cancer last year though:()
The reason I probably wont get a dog is because I work a ton(especially lately) and am not at my home that much so I don't think it would be fair to the dog. Cats on the other hand are something I might consider (on top of getting a lizard too)

Right now I'm leaning towards a leopard gecko because all you really need is a 10 to 20 gallon tank with a under tank heater (and a couple of hiding spots for them)

Silock 01-10-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302142)

I don't know whether to respect the hell out of you or call you a ****ing moron . . .

Jesus, dude.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302144)
damn, you have bigger balls than I do free handing a copperhead

Nah. They have a fairly weak hemo based venom. IIRC, there has only been one death in MO due to a copperhead bite. Granted, they can cause severe muscle tissue damage but if treated gently and confidently/intelligently (this is key IMO) they are pretty easily handable. You have to understand how they react to certain movements, their instinctive behaviors, and try to stay one step ahead.

Richard_Cuckold 01-10-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302136)

Yeah snakes freakin rule. I always wanted to own one but just never got around to it. My friend has a corn snake that loves to be held

nstygma 01-10-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302126)
Black throat monitors

these?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Bno-qsnbUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9302155)
I don't know whether to respect the hell out of you or call you a ****ing moron . . .

Jesus, dude.

I've been called both respectively for my experience with reptiles. You just have to be knowledgeable of the animal (based on readings, experiences, and the animal personally) and not be cocky (i.e. always maintain a more than healthy respect for the animal).

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9302158)
these?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Bno-qsnbUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yup. contrary to popular belief, you can train them like dogs to an extent. I've had a black throat come up to me and start nuzzling my leg and be exceptionally friendly. Truly, they are remarkable. They also don't tend to be aggressive when feeding as opposed to savannahs or other monitors. Personally, that is the only kind of monitor I'd ever own.

Bump 01-10-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302156)
Nah. They have a fairly weak hemo based venom. IIRC, there has only been one death in MO due to a copperhead bite. Granted, they can cause severe muscle tissue damage but if treated gently and confidently/intelligently (this is key IMO) they are pretty easily handable. You have to understand how they react to certain movements, their instinctive behaviors, and try to stay one step ahead.

I remember a lot of people dying, like 1 or 2 per year, from copperhead bites. But it was because it's a shitty small town kansas hospital and the anti venom was killing them. I know a healthy adult shouldn't die from copperhead bites, it's just supposed to hurt like hell.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 9302150)
Lot lizards don't make great pets. LMAO

Depends on what you want/can afford out of a pet, and what you get. Geckos make great pets. Chameleons don't IMO as they can't be handled regularly but there are some monitors that can be domesticated to an extent.

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302163)
I remember a lot of people dying, like 1 or 2 per year, from copperhead bites. But it was because it's a shitty small town kansas hospital and the anti venom was killing them. I know a healthy adult shouldn't die from copperhead bites, it's just supposed to hurt like hell.

Quite a few people are allergic to anti-venom, which is typically Cro-fab that is a compound of different base snakes that are hemotoxic (i.e. Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Timber Rattlesnake, etc).

In Missouri, the first recorded death from a Copperhead was this last year IIRC.

Copperhead bites as well as all hemotoxic snakes (rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths) all hurt as ****. It attacks your muscle tissue and blood cells, as opposed to a cobra, mamba or coral snake which have a neurotoxic venom that attacks your respiratory system.

kcfanXIII 01-10-2013 02:05 AM

Reptiles can be fun. Have to be responsible, and secure the cage with the larger ones. Had an albino corn snake, ball python, and several wild snakes, including garter snakes and ring necks. Never messed with copperheads, though I came across them more than a few times. You are crazy for catching and handling those things.

Bump 01-10-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302167)
Quite a few people are allergic to anti-venom, which is typically Cro-fab that is a compound of different base snakes that are hemotoxic (i.e. Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Timber Rattlesnake, etc).

In Missouri, the first recorded death from a Copperhead was this last year IIRC.

Copperhead bites as well as all hemotoxic snakes (rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths) all hurt as ****. It attacks your muscle tissue and blood cells, as opposed to a cobra, mamba or coral snake which have a neurotoxic venom that attacks your respiratory system.

ya, that shit makes me cringe thinking about it. I'm like that Cody dude on Dual Survival, when I walk in the wilderness, I walk slooow watching every step. There could be a snake at a lot of places and that frightens me.

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9302168)
Reptiles can be fun. Have to be responsible, and secure the cage with the larger ones. Had an albino corn snake, ball python, and several wild snakes, including garter snakes and ring necks. Never messed with copperheads, though I came across them more than a few times. You are crazy for catching and handling those things.

As long as you're calm and understand the animal you're dealing with, it isn't a problem, especially with copperheads.

Now, coral snakes, mojaves, mambas, boomslangs, any of the bothrops, cobras, and most rattlesnakes, I won't be free handling. The risk is too great. Even if you survive which is likely with most listed, the cost of medical bills + insurance is way too ****ing large. I'm not entirely stupid. ROFL

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302169)
ya, that shit makes me cringe thinking about it. I'm like that Cody dude on Dual Survival, when I walk in the wilderness, I walk slooow watching every step. There could be a snake at a lot of places and that frightens me.

Definitely when you're in new places for hunting/hiking (I'm the same way, especially when it is an optimal day and the terrain is good for them). You definitely want to watch your step in the bush in SC, GA, FL, AL, Mississippi, LA, AZ, NM, and CA for sure if you're out hiking or just wandering around.

Phobia 01-10-2013 02:17 AM

I might have to move this thread to the nerd sub-forum soon. I've never known traditional people to desire reptilian pets.

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9302174)
I might have to move this thread to the nerd sub-forum soon. I've never known traditional people to desire reptilian pets.

Ouch.

LMAO

kcfanXIII 01-10-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302170)
As long as you're calm and understand the animal you're dealing with, it isn't a problem, especially with copperheads.

Now, coral snakes, mojaves, mambas, boomslangs, any of the bothrops, cobras, and most rattlesnakes, I won't be free handling. The risk is too great. Even if you survive which is likely with most listed, the cost of medical bills + insurance is way too ****ing large. I'm not entirely stupid. ROFL

I've just always treated venomous snakes as something to avoid. I'm no ophiologist though, so I've never had a reason to put myself at risk.

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9302177)
I've just always treated venomous snakes as something to avoid. I'm no ophiologist though, so I've never had a reason to put myself at risk.

As most people should. I had the rare and for me beneficial experience of being able to conduct field and other work with herpetologists for a brief period. I wouldn't encourage others to behave as I have with snakes/monitors/crocodilians without the proper training. I do recognize that mine was rather brief and not extensive in any means, therefore I don't go and try and free-handle EDBs, Coral Snakes (huge mistake, LMAO at anyone who does that consistently), Crocs or gators over 4ft. It is simply stupid and just encourages A) Rasonable injury and B) Stress + injury to the animal. I had a buddy send me a video of him catching a ****ing black rat and trying to mash it's skull with a stick as he tried to secure a hold behind the jaw. ****ing asinine. First, that snake isn't going to hurt you if it bites, secondly, it will calm down pretty quickly and let you free handle it and be as happy as can be once it realizes you aren't a predator trying to ****ing eat it.

People are morons with reptiles but with good reason. There are quite a few on the planet especially where we first developed as a species that will ****ing kill you rather quickly. Before anti-venin was produced for the Black Mamba, the mortality rate was 100%. So yes, people that are not familiar with snakes should just stay the **** away. It just leads to bad results for all involved.

Additionally, anti-venom is both risky and super expensive.

kcfanXIII 01-10-2013 02:51 AM

I was into that stuff as a kid, but never got that far with it to handle the nasty little ****ers here in MO. I could ID them, so I knew not to try and catch them. I bet that was a pretty interesting experience working in the field like that.

Sorter 01-10-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9302194)
I was into that stuff as a kid, but never got that far with it to handle the nasty little ****ers here in MO. I could ID them, so I knew not to try and catch them. I bet that was a pretty interesting experience working in the field like that.

I will say that there is nothing you'll experience as far as pure adrenaline as holding something in your hands that can really ruin your day. I don't really crave it as others do (i.e. those who **** around with Bothrops or Cobras) but it is a very unique sensation. I doubt I'd free handle a timber rattlesnake but given the perfect conditions, I could see it. Anything else that was hot, no ****ing thanks.

The medical bills alone are enough to discourage me from ****ing with anything that can really **** you up. Plus, you;d be surprised how many people get snagged from improperly holding a hot behind the head. You get rattlers, etc that have pretty long fangs + flexible jaws, all it takes is a moment of not paying full attention and you've got a fang in your thumb. You really have to know what you're doing and have complete respect/awareness of the animal.

Phobia 01-10-2013 04:18 AM

I wouldn't hot handle any of those things. I'm friends with this guy http://tongs.com/ ... he lives a couple miles from me and has all the most venomous snakes in the world at his house/shop/compound. I've been inches away from those nasty things. No thank you. I'm a big dude and I've faced some bad, bad things. I'm scared of very few things. But I'll need a sealed aquarium between me and any of those nasty animals. Not my deal at all.

crazycoffey 01-10-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302176)
Ouch.

LMAO

Relax, it's not like the sting after a cobra bites you

Gravedigger 01-10-2013 04:38 AM

Ball Python or Bearded Dragon. Probably Bearded Dragon, we took care of one in high school zoology and if I could get one reptile for the rest of my life it'd be a bearded dragon. I owned snakes, sucks having to buy rats as food all the time, I owned anoles meh, but bearded dragons are the shit.

Red Beans 01-10-2013 06:23 AM

I had a snake once, I fed it beer. It was wriggling this way and that. It was all ****ed up.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-10-2013 06:23 AM

Growing up I've kept monitors (savs), skinks (northern bts), chams (veilds/jacksons), geckos (new caledonian crested/gargoyles/leopards/african fats). Iguana (rhino/spiney tail), uromastyx (ornate/mali)...and probably a few oddballs in between.

I wont even list the colubrids and boids I've owned in the past.

Currently, i keep/breed ~30 ball pythons.

Let me know what you are interested in...i more than likely know of a breeder.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-10-2013 06:35 AM

To the OP;

Google overland park reptile show. Jason from GoLizards puts it on every other month...then again, im on my phone and don't know if you are local, but its at the holiday inn off of 87th and 69 hwy.

I usually am a vendor at the show...but there are always a great selection of leos from reputable breeders. DO NOT BUY FROM PETCO OR SOME CHAIN LIKE THAT.

Fritz88 01-10-2013 06:51 AM

I once owned this type. We capture them from the wild alive.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/images...zard-2-500.jpg

Then I ate it. Not kidding. Tastes like chicken.

http://www.waraqat.net/2008/06/qans_zaban32.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Tomahawk 01-10-2013 07:09 AM

Next show is actually this Sunday.

http://coldbloodedexpos.com/kc-reptile-show/

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Harrow (Post 9302154)
Thanks for the replies folks. I really appreciate some of your insight

I do LOVE dogs and cats and owned a cat for 17 years (she passed away from cancer last year though:()
The reason I probably wont get a dog is because I work a ton(especially lately) and am not at my home that much so I don't think it would be fair to the dog. Cats on the other hand are something I might consider (on top of getting a lizard too)

Right now I'm leaning towards a leopard gecko because all you really need is a 10 to 20 gallon tank with a under tank heater (and a couple of hiding spots for them)

If you are choosing between the two of those I would actually go with a bearded dragon. They may require a slightly bigger cage but other than that leopard geckos don't have much benefit over a bearded dragon (other than the exotic color morphs you can find).

The biggest difference you may not be thinking about is the feeding. Leopard geckos are exclusively insectivores. So you will need to have a steady supply of mealworms and crickets. Mealworms are easier to keep around because they sell them in the tubs and you won't notice them much and they are escape artists. But if you have to run to the store every few days for crickets you will become increasingly annoyed and the likelihood of some escaping is pretty much a guarantee.

Bearded dragons on the other hand can basically be trained to eat anything that is in your refrigerator and they actually prefer a varied diet of dark greens, fruits, and vegetables. All of that can be easily stored in your refrigerator and you have a ready supply of food for it. Essentially, it is like feeding a dog or cat.

The difference in price between initial setup for a leopard gecko and bearded dragon is minimal. They both require the heating elements, substrate, decorations, etc. The only difference is that of the larger tank. And you can easily offset that cost by getting a tank off craigslist.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 08:40 AM

I know some in here are shocked but reptiles can actually make really good pets. you just have to know which ones have the best temperments for your style. I have an Argentine black and white tegu which I have had for about six years. You would be shocked at how well trained he is. He lives in a two story house and uses the bottom floor exclusively for burrowing and sleeping, then when I turn the lights on, he walks up the latter to the top floor to bask, eat, drink, be handled, etc. (a 2X4 plywood with a latter up to another 2X4 plywood piece). When you pet him, he arches is back and closes his eyes like any cat or dog does. He even has a leash and harness to go out in the back yard to get fresh air.

mlyonsd 01-10-2013 08:53 AM

You want a cool pet that takes little care buy a tarantula.

Bwana 01-10-2013 09:24 AM

Oh hell no, but they do make a decent boot.

http://www.alcalas.com/productImages/T2590J4.jpg

soopamanluva 01-10-2013 09:35 AM

Yep. Had a green anole when I was about 12-14
Have had several corn snakes 4-5 of them in my teens early 20's
And I have a Russian Tortoise now. (For my daughter)
They are quiet, most are clean and its fascinating watching them eat.

Amnorix 01-10-2013 09:35 AM

I really, really can't understand why anyone would want any kind of reptile as a pet. The things I want out of a pet a reptile can't offer me.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-10-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9302551)
I really, really can't understand why anyone would want any kind of reptile as a pet. The things I want out of a pet a reptile can't offer me.

Same can be said for fish...

Frazod 01-10-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

I agree with this. You can have a pet snake for years, and there'll never be a point where the only reason it won't eat you is because you won't fit in its mouth.

MagicHef 01-10-2013 09:39 AM

I had a turtle growing up.

It ran away.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

There is a sexual joke in there somewhere.

Fish 01-10-2013 10:52 AM

I own 2 Beardies. Kiss my ass Phobia... :D

They're surprisingly fun pets. I'd recommend a Bearded Dragon over a gecko any day of the week. Geckos are skittish and not as docile as most people claim. Beardies are probably the most docile lizard you can get. I let mine run around the house quite often. They even interact with my cats. They're very easy to handle, and it's a piece of cake to take care of them. I feed mine a mix of veggies and fruit, and crickets and mealworms. Sometimes in the summer, I'll even dig up some earthworms or catch some June bugs. They go nuts over June bugs.

Here's my 2:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/951...2889091582.jpg

Also, I would throw in the blue tongue skink as a good choice. Especially if you're wanting something cheaper and don't have much experience. They're very docile as well, and you can handle them as much as a Beardie. They make really good pets, but aren't talked about much.

Fish 01-10-2013 11:01 AM

Also note that if you get into Bearded Dragons, there's lots of different colors and varieties. From yellows to bright reds. They're much more expensive than the normal ones you find at local shops. But if you get one and breed it, you can sell the babies for really good money.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2474/ember1o.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5471/pyrobs.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5179/demonl.jpg

Rain Man 01-10-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Some of the larger snakes really like to hug people. That's kind of nice.

KCFaninSEA 01-10-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking either a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon. I've read up on both of them and they seem like they would be pretty easy to take care of. The downside to a bearded dragon is that they get huge and eat a TON. But the upside is that they are friendly/docile creatures that like human interaction.

Leopard Geckos dont eat as much and are also docile/friendly but they are nocturnal and usually only come out at night(spend most of their days hiding/sleeping)

We have 2 leopard geckos. We have also had a number of water dragons. Don't be worried about the leopard gecko being nocturnal. They are up and around during the day a lot also. You can hold them and let them run around a bit if you keep an eye on them and keep them warm.

bevischief 01-10-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9302528)
Oh hell no, but they do make a decent boot.

http://www.alcalas.com/productImages/T2590J4.jpg

I agree.

beach tribe 01-10-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302162)
yup. contrary to popular belief, you can train them like dogs to an extent. I've had a black throat come up to me and start nuzzling my leg and be exceptionally friendly. Truly, they are remarkable. They also don't tend to be aggressive when feeding as opposed to savannahs or other monitors. Personally, that is the only kind of monitor I'd ever own.

So do you house train them or what?
Seems like it could get nasty.

beach tribe 01-10-2013 11:24 AM

I prefer Bears. Bears is where it's at.

http://thechive.com/2013/01/10/man-r...-photos-video/

Grim 01-10-2013 11:28 AM

I caught a savannah monitor near a garbage dumpster of a McDonalds I used to work at years ago. It had a harness on it...looked like somebody liked to keep him tied up outside or something and he escaped.
It was mid-October when I caught him. It was pretty cool outside so the thing was sluggish and slow. I picked it up and saw that it had guts or something hanging out of it's anus. I figured it got ran over by a car or something.
I took it to a vet to see if he could fix it and adopt it out. I told my BIL about it and he was eager to adopt it so I got back in touch with the vet. He had just finished performing surgery on it and said it was doing fine now. Apparently when those big reptiles spend their whole lives in a relatively small space their muscles atrophy to a degree and, when they manage to get out in the world, they push themselves too hard and rupture or herniate something (he claimed it wasn't an uncommon thing to see).
I drove back to the vet to pick it up so I could deliver it to my BIL. When the vet came out with the monitor in a box, the box was shaking VIOLENTLY. You could hear the thing in there scrambling around like mad, just trying to get out.
I took the lizard to my FIL, where my BIL was going to pick it up, and opened the box to take it out. The lizard was sitting in the bottom of the box, just staring at me calmly. I reached down to pick it up and the SOB jumped up, like lightning, and clamped down on my hand. It felt like my hand was snagged by a large pair of HOT pliers. I wouldn't have imagined it hurting as bad as it did. I immediately regretted my decision to try to save this creature's life.
Managed to get it into a cage and it let go of my hand as soon as its feet hit the bottom of the cage. My hand was bleeding pretty bad and the lizard had blood all over its mouth....looked like it had just came back from a fresh kill.
BIL came and got the lizard. Took it home to Arkansas and kept it for many years before it passed away. He told me that it never bit him once.
Since that day I have handled exactly ZERO savannah monitor lizards.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim (Post 9302856)
I caught a savannah monitor near a garbage dumpster of a McDonalds I used to work at years ago. It had a harness on it...looked like somebody liked to keep him tied up outside or something and he escaped.
It was mid-October when I caught him. It was pretty cool outside so the thing was sluggish and slow. I picked it up and saw that it had guts or something hanging out of it's anus. I figured it got ran over by a car or something.
I took it to a vet to see if he could fix it and adopt it out. I told my BIL about it and he was eager to adopt it so I got back in touch with the vet. He had just finished performing surgery on it and said it was doing fine now. Apparently when those big reptiles spend their whole lives in a relatively small space their muscles atrophy to a degree and, when they manage to get out in the world, they push themselves too hard and rupture or herniate something (he claimed it wasn't an uncommon thing to see).
I drove back to the vet to pick it up so I could deliver it to my BIL. When the vet came out with the monitor in a box, the box was shaking VIOLENTLY. You could hear the thing in there scrambling around like mad, just trying to get out.
I took the lizard to my FIL, where my BIL was going to pick it up, and opened the box to take it out. The lizard was sitting in the bottom of the box, just staring at me calmly. I reached down to pick it up and the SOB jumped up, like lightning, and clamped down on my hand. It felt like my hand was snagged by a large pair of HOT pliers. I wouldn't have imagined it hurting as bad as it did. I immediately regretted my decision to try to save this creature's life.
Managed to get it into a cage and it let go of my hand as soon as its feet hit the bottom of the cage. My hand was bleeding pretty bad and the lizard had blood all over its mouth....looked like it had just came back from a fresh kill.
BIL came and got the lizard. Took it home to Arkansas and kept it for many years before it passed away. He told me that it never bit him once.
Since that day I have handled exactly ZERO savannah monitor lizards.

It is called a prolapse and it is actually quite common in the larger lizards. It can happen as a result of an impaction, pushing too hard, or simply not enough exercise. It is usually remedied by putting in slowly dissolving sutures.

Grim 01-10-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9302878)
It is called a prolapse and it is actually quite common in the larger lizards. It can happen as a result of an impaction, pushing too hard, or simply not enough exercise. It is usually remedied by putting in slowly dissolving sutures.

The vet went right to work on it.... guess he'd had experience with it. I do recall now that he also used the word 'prolapse'.

I also remember the vet bill was under $50. That surprised me..... seemed cheap for surgery.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim (Post 9302891)
The vet went right to work on it.... guess he'd had experience with it. I do recall now that he also used the word 'prolapse'.

I also remember the vet bill was under $50. That surprised me..... seemed cheap for surgery.

Well it wasn't really a surgery. The vet would have just pushed it back in and put in a few small sutures around the vent and that is it. Probably used a little tiny bit of sedative as well. But the whole thing probably took the vet 5-10 minutes. Props to your for saving it though, despite the fact that it bit you. :thumb:

Cannibal 01-10-2013 12:28 PM

Wife and I owned a relatively large rat snake for about 6 months.

Obviously it's diet was small mice.

Pretty much every time the snake dumped out, it laid the log in it's own water dish. It was nasty. I believe it only had to eat like every 3 days or so, but it was still gross.

The snake was not a very enjoyable pet.

We also gave ours away.

Cannibal 01-10-2013 12:29 PM

You'd be surprised how large a snake turd can be by the way.

Probably at least as large as a cat turd.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9303088)
Wife and I owned a relatively large rat snake for about 6 months.

Obviously it's diet was small mice.

Pretty much every time the snake dumped out, it laid the log in it's own water dish. It was nasty. I believe it only had to eat like every 3 days or so, but it was still gross.

The snake was not a very enjoyable pet.

We also gave ours away.

Doesn't your toilet have water in it too? :p

Cannibal 01-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9303102)
Doesn't your toilet have water in it too? :p

I don't eat or drink from the toilet. :p

Plus, the toilet flushes the waste away!

HemiEd 01-10-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

these?

That is just creepy as hell, especially after reading about some of the stuff earlier in this thread. I was waiting for it to snap that guys throat.

When I was a little kid, I caught a horny toad right out on the sidewalk, but it died. I think they are pretty well extinct now, right?

Thig Lyfe 01-10-2013 01:49 PM

Lizards own us all. Reptilian humanoids run the world! LOOK IT UP!!!

HemiEd 01-10-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9302785)
Also note that if you get into Bearded Dragons, there's lots of different colors and varieties. From yellows to bright reds. They're much more expensive than the normal ones you find at local shops. But if you get one and breed it, you can sell the babies for really good money.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2474/ember1o.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5471/pyrobs.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5179/demonl.jpg

You have some very interesting ideas on pets. Didn't you also keep racoons?

notorious 01-10-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

. The downside to a bearded dragon is that they get huge and eat a TON.

ROFL

Mr_Tomahawk 01-10-2013 09:01 PM

Here is a Borneo Short tail...

These guys are great. Big fat worms. :p

[IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/DSCF8812.jpg[/IMG]

Pooch 01-10-2013 10:03 PM

I have owned three American alligators in my life time. Loved them as pets but my wife put her foot down when we had our son. Keep them in my basement of my bachelor pad and the biggest got to be about 7ft.

Rain Man 01-10-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch (Post 9304471)
I have owned three American alligators in my life time. Loved them as pets but my wife put her foot down when we had our son. Keep them in my basement of my bachelor pad and the biggest got to be about 7ft.

Did you take them for walks and stuff?

Pooch 01-11-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9304522)
Did you take them for walks and stuff?

Not inside the city limits because I did not have a permit to own them but I did take them to my grandfather's property and walk them out there. You can purchase your own for around $150 and I just feed mine left over meat, mice, rats, fish, etc... There is a small one with a tank for trade on the local craiglist right now.

ThaVirus 01-11-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

these?

I don't see anyway that this could go wrong

Bwana 01-11-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9304769)
I don't see anyway that this could go wrong

A future episode of "when animals attack" on Animal Planet waiting to happen.