ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Anyone ever own a pet lizard/reptile? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268702)

Grim 01-10-2013 11:28 AM

I caught a savannah monitor near a garbage dumpster of a McDonalds I used to work at years ago. It had a harness on it...looked like somebody liked to keep him tied up outside or something and he escaped.
It was mid-October when I caught him. It was pretty cool outside so the thing was sluggish and slow. I picked it up and saw that it had guts or something hanging out of it's anus. I figured it got ran over by a car or something.
I took it to a vet to see if he could fix it and adopt it out. I told my BIL about it and he was eager to adopt it so I got back in touch with the vet. He had just finished performing surgery on it and said it was doing fine now. Apparently when those big reptiles spend their whole lives in a relatively small space their muscles atrophy to a degree and, when they manage to get out in the world, they push themselves too hard and rupture or herniate something (he claimed it wasn't an uncommon thing to see).
I drove back to the vet to pick it up so I could deliver it to my BIL. When the vet came out with the monitor in a box, the box was shaking VIOLENTLY. You could hear the thing in there scrambling around like mad, just trying to get out.
I took the lizard to my FIL, where my BIL was going to pick it up, and opened the box to take it out. The lizard was sitting in the bottom of the box, just staring at me calmly. I reached down to pick it up and the SOB jumped up, like lightning, and clamped down on my hand. It felt like my hand was snagged by a large pair of HOT pliers. I wouldn't have imagined it hurting as bad as it did. I immediately regretted my decision to try to save this creature's life.
Managed to get it into a cage and it let go of my hand as soon as its feet hit the bottom of the cage. My hand was bleeding pretty bad and the lizard had blood all over its mouth....looked like it had just came back from a fresh kill.
BIL came and got the lizard. Took it home to Arkansas and kept it for many years before it passed away. He told me that it never bit him once.
Since that day I have handled exactly ZERO savannah monitor lizards.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim (Post 9302856)
I caught a savannah monitor near a garbage dumpster of a McDonalds I used to work at years ago. It had a harness on it...looked like somebody liked to keep him tied up outside or something and he escaped.
It was mid-October when I caught him. It was pretty cool outside so the thing was sluggish and slow. I picked it up and saw that it had guts or something hanging out of it's anus. I figured it got ran over by a car or something.
I took it to a vet to see if he could fix it and adopt it out. I told my BIL about it and he was eager to adopt it so I got back in touch with the vet. He had just finished performing surgery on it and said it was doing fine now. Apparently when those big reptiles spend their whole lives in a relatively small space their muscles atrophy to a degree and, when they manage to get out in the world, they push themselves too hard and rupture or herniate something (he claimed it wasn't an uncommon thing to see).
I drove back to the vet to pick it up so I could deliver it to my BIL. When the vet came out with the monitor in a box, the box was shaking VIOLENTLY. You could hear the thing in there scrambling around like mad, just trying to get out.
I took the lizard to my FIL, where my BIL was going to pick it up, and opened the box to take it out. The lizard was sitting in the bottom of the box, just staring at me calmly. I reached down to pick it up and the SOB jumped up, like lightning, and clamped down on my hand. It felt like my hand was snagged by a large pair of HOT pliers. I wouldn't have imagined it hurting as bad as it did. I immediately regretted my decision to try to save this creature's life.
Managed to get it into a cage and it let go of my hand as soon as its feet hit the bottom of the cage. My hand was bleeding pretty bad and the lizard had blood all over its mouth....looked like it had just came back from a fresh kill.
BIL came and got the lizard. Took it home to Arkansas and kept it for many years before it passed away. He told me that it never bit him once.
Since that day I have handled exactly ZERO savannah monitor lizards.

It is called a prolapse and it is actually quite common in the larger lizards. It can happen as a result of an impaction, pushing too hard, or simply not enough exercise. It is usually remedied by putting in slowly dissolving sutures.

Grim 01-10-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9302878)
It is called a prolapse and it is actually quite common in the larger lizards. It can happen as a result of an impaction, pushing too hard, or simply not enough exercise. It is usually remedied by putting in slowly dissolving sutures.

The vet went right to work on it.... guess he'd had experience with it. I do recall now that he also used the word 'prolapse'.

I also remember the vet bill was under $50. That surprised me..... seemed cheap for surgery.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim (Post 9302891)
The vet went right to work on it.... guess he'd had experience with it. I do recall now that he also used the word 'prolapse'.

I also remember the vet bill was under $50. That surprised me..... seemed cheap for surgery.

Well it wasn't really a surgery. The vet would have just pushed it back in and put in a few small sutures around the vent and that is it. Probably used a little tiny bit of sedative as well. But the whole thing probably took the vet 5-10 minutes. Props to your for saving it though, despite the fact that it bit you. :thumb:

Cannibal 01-10-2013 12:28 PM

Wife and I owned a relatively large rat snake for about 6 months.

Obviously it's diet was small mice.

Pretty much every time the snake dumped out, it laid the log in it's own water dish. It was nasty. I believe it only had to eat like every 3 days or so, but it was still gross.

The snake was not a very enjoyable pet.

We also gave ours away.

Cannibal 01-10-2013 12:29 PM

You'd be surprised how large a snake turd can be by the way.

Probably at least as large as a cat turd.

mr. tegu 01-10-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9303088)
Wife and I owned a relatively large rat snake for about 6 months.

Obviously it's diet was small mice.

Pretty much every time the snake dumped out, it laid the log in it's own water dish. It was nasty. I believe it only had to eat like every 3 days or so, but it was still gross.

The snake was not a very enjoyable pet.

We also gave ours away.

Doesn't your toilet have water in it too? :p

Cannibal 01-10-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9303102)
Doesn't your toilet have water in it too? :p

I don't eat or drink from the toilet. :p

Plus, the toilet flushes the waste away!

HemiEd 01-10-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9302158)
these?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Bno-qsnbUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is just creepy as hell, especially after reading about some of the stuff earlier in this thread. I was waiting for it to snap that guys throat.

When I was a little kid, I caught a horny toad right out on the sidewalk, but it died. I think they are pretty well extinct now, right?

Thig Lyfe 01-10-2013 01:49 PM

Lizards own us all. Reptilian humanoids run the world! LOOK IT UP!!!

HemiEd 01-10-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9302785)
Also note that if you get into Bearded Dragons, there's lots of different colors and varieties. From yellows to bright reds. They're much more expensive than the normal ones you find at local shops. But if you get one and breed it, you can sell the babies for really good money.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2474/ember1o.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5471/pyrobs.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5179/demonl.jpg

You have some very interesting ideas on pets. Didn't you also keep racoons?

notorious 01-10-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_Harrow (Post 9302100)
. The downside to a bearded dragon is that they get huge and eat a TON.

ROFL

Mr_Tomahawk 01-10-2013 09:01 PM

Here is a Borneo Short tail...

These guys are great. Big fat worms. :p

[IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/DSCF8812.jpg[/IMG]

Pooch 01-10-2013 10:03 PM

I have owned three American alligators in my life time. Loved them as pets but my wife put her foot down when we had our son. Keep them in my basement of my bachelor pad and the biggest got to be about 7ft.

Rain Man 01-10-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch (Post 9304471)
I have owned three American alligators in my life time. Loved them as pets but my wife put her foot down when we had our son. Keep them in my basement of my bachelor pad and the biggest got to be about 7ft.

Did you take them for walks and stuff?