ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Anyone ever own a pet lizard/reptile? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268702)

Richard_Cuckold 01-10-2013 01:47 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I really appreciate some of your insight

I do LOVE dogs and cats and owned a cat for 17 years (she passed away from cancer last year though:()
The reason I probably wont get a dog is because I work a ton(especially lately) and am not at my home that much so I don't think it would be fair to the dog. Cats on the other hand are something I might consider (on top of getting a lizard too)

Right now I'm leaning towards a leopard gecko because all you really need is a 10 to 20 gallon tank with a under tank heater (and a couple of hiding spots for them)

Silock 01-10-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302142)
The times I kept snakes, I had an oversized cage that mixed both artificial sand, branches, and living vegetation. Additionally, I didn't typically keep them for very long as most were WC (wild-caught). I'll say that all of the kings, milks, rat snakes, and most racers warmed up pretty quickly. However, I didn't keep them for more than 3 weeks.

The hots I caught (copperheads) actually warmed up fairly quickly, which was surprising to me. They were fine with me free handling them to an extent ( limited persons in the room, no noise, etc).

I don't know whether to respect the hell out of you or call you a ****ing moron . . .

Jesus, dude.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302144)
damn, you have bigger balls than I do free handing a copperhead

Nah. They have a fairly weak hemo based venom. IIRC, there has only been one death in MO due to a copperhead bite. Granted, they can cause severe muscle tissue damage but if treated gently and confidently/intelligently (this is key IMO) they are pretty easily handable. You have to understand how they react to certain movements, their instinctive behaviors, and try to stay one step ahead.

Richard_Cuckold 01-10-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302136)
I disagree. I've had plenty of snakes both wild caught and bred that were excellent pets.

Yeah snakes freakin rule. I always wanted to own one but just never got around to it. My friend has a corn snake that loves to be held

nstygma 01-10-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302126)
Black throat monitors

these?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Bno-qsnbUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9302155)
I don't know whether to respect the hell out of you or call you a ****ing moron . . .

Jesus, dude.

I've been called both respectively for my experience with reptiles. You just have to be knowledgeable of the animal (based on readings, experiences, and the animal personally) and not be cocky (i.e. always maintain a more than healthy respect for the animal).

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9302158)
these?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Bno-qsnbUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yup. contrary to popular belief, you can train them like dogs to an extent. I've had a black throat come up to me and start nuzzling my leg and be exceptionally friendly. Truly, they are remarkable. They also don't tend to be aggressive when feeding as opposed to savannahs or other monitors. Personally, that is the only kind of monitor I'd ever own.

Bump 01-10-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302156)
Nah. They have a fairly weak hemo based venom. IIRC, there has only been one death in MO due to a copperhead bite. Granted, they can cause severe muscle tissue damage but if treated gently and confidently/intelligently (this is key IMO) they are pretty easily handable. You have to understand how they react to certain movements, their instinctive behaviors, and try to stay one step ahead.

I remember a lot of people dying, like 1 or 2 per year, from copperhead bites. But it was because it's a shitty small town kansas hospital and the anti venom was killing them. I know a healthy adult shouldn't die from copperhead bites, it's just supposed to hurt like hell.

Sorter 01-10-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 9302150)
Lot lizards don't make great pets. LMAO

Depends on what you want/can afford out of a pet, and what you get. Geckos make great pets. Chameleons don't IMO as they can't be handled regularly but there are some monitors that can be domesticated to an extent.

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302163)
I remember a lot of people dying, like 1 or 2 per year, from copperhead bites. But it was because it's a shitty small town kansas hospital and the anti venom was killing them. I know a healthy adult shouldn't die from copperhead bites, it's just supposed to hurt like hell.

Quite a few people are allergic to anti-venom, which is typically Cro-fab that is a compound of different base snakes that are hemotoxic (i.e. Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Timber Rattlesnake, etc).

In Missouri, the first recorded death from a Copperhead was this last year IIRC.

Copperhead bites as well as all hemotoxic snakes (rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths) all hurt as ****. It attacks your muscle tissue and blood cells, as opposed to a cobra, mamba or coral snake which have a neurotoxic venom that attacks your respiratory system.

kcfanXIII 01-10-2013 02:05 AM

Reptiles can be fun. Have to be responsible, and secure the cage with the larger ones. Had an albino corn snake, ball python, and several wild snakes, including garter snakes and ring necks. Never messed with copperheads, though I came across them more than a few times. You are crazy for catching and handling those things.

Bump 01-10-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9302167)
Quite a few people are allergic to anti-venom, which is typically Cro-fab that is a compound of different base snakes that are hemotoxic (i.e. Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Timber Rattlesnake, etc).

In Missouri, the first recorded death from a Copperhead was this last year IIRC.

Copperhead bites as well as all hemotoxic snakes (rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths) all hurt as ****. It attacks your muscle tissue and blood cells, as opposed to a cobra, mamba or coral snake which have a neurotoxic venom that attacks your respiratory system.

ya, that shit makes me cringe thinking about it. I'm like that Cody dude on Dual Survival, when I walk in the wilderness, I walk slooow watching every step. There could be a snake at a lot of places and that frightens me.

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9302168)
Reptiles can be fun. Have to be responsible, and secure the cage with the larger ones. Had an albino corn snake, ball python, and several wild snakes, including garter snakes and ring necks. Never messed with copperheads, though I came across them more than a few times. You are crazy for catching and handling those things.

As long as you're calm and understand the animal you're dealing with, it isn't a problem, especially with copperheads.

Now, coral snakes, mojaves, mambas, boomslangs, any of the bothrops, cobras, and most rattlesnakes, I won't be free handling. The risk is too great. Even if you survive which is likely with most listed, the cost of medical bills + insurance is way too ****ing large. I'm not entirely stupid. ROFL

Sorter 01-10-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9302169)
ya, that shit makes me cringe thinking about it. I'm like that Cody dude on Dual Survival, when I walk in the wilderness, I walk slooow watching every step. There could be a snake at a lot of places and that frightens me.

Definitely when you're in new places for hunting/hiking (I'm the same way, especially when it is an optimal day and the terrain is good for them). You definitely want to watch your step in the bush in SC, GA, FL, AL, Mississippi, LA, AZ, NM, and CA for sure if you're out hiking or just wandering around.

Phobia 01-10-2013 02:17 AM

I might have to move this thread to the nerd sub-forum soon. I've never known traditional people to desire reptilian pets.