ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Post your top 5 rock bands of all time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267183)

suds79 11-29-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161248)
No shit. I've got all kinds of smart-assed one-liners, like, 'what sucks and has 9 arms??'

Nope I get it. It's definitely a personal top 5. Just what I heard my older brother listening to growing up and liked them back in the day.

Predarat 11-29-2012 10:31 AM

Elvis X5, that is all.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161246)
Ozzy is over-played. The real Black Sabbath is not.

um...The Writ from Sabotage is NOT over-played.

Never Say Die is ****ing VASTLY UNDERRATED.

I would go so far as to say : War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Sweat Leaf, Changes...basically anything on We Sold Our Souls would be overplayed.

Anything else is amazing...no matter who the singer is, as long as Iommi's riffing it, I'm game.

The Franchise 11-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9161249)
A couple of years ago I would have answered differently but my oldest son found my classic rock and now I've heard CCR, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc so many times lately that I'm, frankly, almost sick of it.

If you were talking desert island music, where I could only have the catalogs from five bands, I would have to pick Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Cure, Thin White Rope and Front Line Assembly (especially if I got to include all of the off-shoot bands like Delerium, Intermix and Conjure One).

Desert Island list?

Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Queen
Marilyn Manson
30 Seconds to Mars

Strongside 11-29-2012 10:32 AM

I don't know if I could narrow it down to just 5...Some of my tops are:

Pantera
Grateful Dead (not really rock, but...)
Pink Floyd
Alice in Chains (WITH Layne Staley)
Led Zepplin
Mastodon
Tool
The Black Keys
Sublime (WITH Knowles)
Blues Traveler
The Deftones

Those are just a few of the ones that do it for me anyway...I could name several others. Being an artist/musician, I pull influence and inspiration from too many places to just name 5. My list would change all the time.

KCWolfman 11-29-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9161239)
This...

Nothing is more overplayed than the Stones, the who, Black Sabbath, etc...

Now they all suck so bad and are painful to listen too...

I am that way with the top 40s from Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and The Stones. However, I know they are truly a treat for the ears, because their underplayed stuff like "Let There be More Light" from Saucerful of Secrets and "Bron Y Aur Stomp" from Led Zeppelin III and "Far Away Eyes" from Some Girls just capture me to the point I had to purchase them electronically.

But as soon as "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2", "Sympathy for the Devil", and "The Immigrant Song" come on I will even turn to NPR Radio to get away from it.

Frosty 11-29-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9161241)
I know I'm in the minority here but would a lot of people really choose to listen to something from The Beatles over everything else?

I just don't get it and find them highly overrated. I feel like it's the default answer as to greatest band ever and that title could never be challenged. Basically they get the Michael Jordan treatment.

I don't dislike The Beatles but I've never actually owned anything by them until last week when I picked up used copies of the remastered Revolver and Abbey Road.

The Rolling Stones are another major band that I've always kind of been "meh" about.

Deberg_1990 11-29-2012 10:36 AM

AC/DC
Zepplin
Metallica
Soungarden
Queen

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9161251)
Nope I get it. It's definitely a personal top 5. Just what I heard my older brother listening to growing up and liked them back in the day.

Yeah, I liked 'em too...when I was 12.

The first 2 or 3 albums (On Through The Night, High N Dry, and Pyromania) were actually pretty rocking. After that...they became a caricature of themselves. And now they're caricatures of the caricatures.

Like, from that era I know Van Halen always killed it, Mötley was a great band (despite all Vince's vocal shortcomings - of which there are many) - hell, I even dug Cinderella.

But as far as 'Let's Get Rocked' etc.?? No way, they lost it after Steve Clark died.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 10:38 AM

My criteria: Technical skill, innovation, influence, commercial success (not in order)

1. The Beatles
2. The Who
3. The Rolling Stones
4. The Beach Boys
5. Led Zeppelin

This is of course extremely subjective, and many folks will say that the Beatles and the Beach Boys were not rock. They were extremely innovative and influential toward rock, though, so I'm including them.

My casual response to this question usually is "The Who," because for me they are a perfect synthesis of blues-based hard rock with artistic flourishes (concepts, instrumentation, etc.), as well as being one of THE best live acts in their prime.

That opinion also puts me at odds with the legions of Stones fans. It's a debate that's been raging for more than 40 years, and I'm in a sizable minority. But I keep fighting the good fight, and will to my death.

Honorable mentions (in no order): Pink Floyd, Yes, The Kinks, The Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, U2, Queen, Van Halen, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Nirvana, the Doors, the Grateful Dead.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161253)
um...The Writ from Sabotage is NOT over-played.

Never Say Die is ****ing VASTLY UNDERRATED.

I would go so far as to say : War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Sweat Leaf, Changes...basically anything on We Sold Our Souls would be overplayed.

Anything else is amazing...no matter who the singer is, as long as Iommi's riffing it, I'm game.

While I agree with most of that, Iommi's riffing is definitively BETTER on "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" than it is on any other studio album, before or after.

mr. tegu 11-29-2012 10:38 AM

I wonder if your top 5 songs would come from your top 5 bands or if stuff would be randomly mixed in.

Buck 11-29-2012 10:38 AM

My honorable mention list is much more American...

CCR, The Doors, Tom Petty, Rick James (not sure if that counts), Nirvana, Van Halen, Skynyrd, SRV

htismaqe 11-29-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCWolfman (Post 9161260)
I am that way with the top 40s from Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and The Stones. However, I know they are truly a treat for the ears, because their underplayed stuff like "Let There be More Light" from Saucerful of Secrets and "Bron Y Aur Stomp" from Led Zeppelin III and "Far Away Eyes" from Some Girls just capture me to the point I had to purchase them electronically.

But as soon as "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2", "Sympathy for the Devil", and "The Immigrant Song" come on I will even turn to NPR Radio to get away from it.

Great post.

Johnny Vegas 11-29-2012 10:39 AM

KoRn
NIN
Tool
Sublime
Red Hot Chili Peppers