ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL execs upset after Head of Officiating seen on Cowboys' party bus (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285561)

tk13 08-07-2014 10:44 PM

NFL execs upset after Head of Officiating seen on Cowboys' party bus

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...-execs-say-yes

Quote:

"That's definitely Dean," said an official with one club upon viewing the video, in which a man looking very much like Blandino, in jeans and a blue t-shirt, steps off the bus along with Stephen Jones, son of Jerry Jones, who serves as the Cowboys COO, EVP and director of player personnel, and who is a member of the highly influential competition committee. "Is the league trying to tell you it's not him? What is the league telling you guys about it? That looks horrible. I can't think of another owner in the league who wouldn't be pissed off after seeing that."

Well, frankly the league is saying nothing. After receiving no response from the NFL on Tuesday as to whether Blandino -- who routinely makes rounds visiting with officials and clubs during the preseason -- was in the video, I made a second round of inquiries into the matter Thursday. Two spokesmen declined to say anything for the record. But no one came close to denying it was Blandino in the video, and the league could point out that with Jones on the competition committee, it's not unusual for him to spend considerable time with competition committee members.

But it would beyond disingenuous, to the point of insulting the public and other NFL member clubs, for anyone from the NFL to have the gall to claim this was anything close to resembling official business. At one point in the video there are a host of young girls assembled on the bus, and the bus is pulled right up in front of a club on the Sunset Strip.

Blandino has done an excellent job in his position, and is engaged and dynamic. Coaches and GMs enjoy dealing with him, he is always available and accessible, works tirelessly, and provides cogent explanations and recommendations to teams and media alike. Everyone I spoke to about the video raved about Blandino as a person and an official, but those same people were flabbergasted by the idea of someone in his position out partying on a team bus with an owner.

At issue is the perception of potential favoritism by other clubs, and the way these images are being perceived around the league.

"So, should I have my owner take him to a strip club when he visits us?" asked one team official, hypothetically. "Is that how it works? We like Dean a lot, but let me tell you, if that was him out with (the owner of a rival of the club this official works for), my owner would be going nuts. This just can't happen.

---

An official from another club said: "It's total hypocrisy. This is a league where some people are above the law, but if you are a coach or a player or a low-level team employee, look out -- they'll throw the book at you. They take away your pension. I'll give Stephen credit, at least they took a bus. (Colts owner Jim) Irsay should have got a bus a long time ago. Have they gotten around to disciplining him yet?"

Another longtime team official: "Whether or not this would in any way affect Dean's ability to be impartial with the Cowboys is really not the issue. This gives the appearance of impropriety. If I am a fan of a team facing the Cowboys, or I work for a team that's facing the Cowboys, I'm upset by this. There shouldn't be any situation like this going on that could cloud his judgment. How is this protecting the shield? The league loves to throw that term around when it applies to players. So how is this not an issue now?"

Another veteran NFL official: "If I were another team owner, how could I not be irate? It gives the appearance of impropriety, and looks like a particularly cozy relationship between a team and the officiating department at a time when instant replay is being taken over more and more by the league office. You're damn right I'd be irate."

Dayze 08-08-2014 12:47 AM

lol. awesome.

Rasputin 08-08-2014 01:02 AM

It doesn't mention the part of the Head of Officiating being the one to take pictures of Jerry & his Hoes in the bathroom..

Dayze 08-08-2014 01:12 AM

rumored that there was also large white man, with a crick in his neck, also on the bus. his identity can't be confirmed due to the disguise. Witnessess recalled him being referred to as 'Omaha'

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journa...se_glasses.png

BullJunkandIron 08-08-2014 06:55 AM

Jerra's world, learn to accept and appreciate not hate. Lot of love in that world.

WhawhaWhat 08-08-2014 07:08 AM

Can we add this to the NFL is fixed thread?

beach tribe 08-08-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10803033)
Can we add this to the NFL is fixed thread?

You could, but it would shoot down the believers' only explanation as to why the Cowboys suck year after year in a fixed league where their success is one of the biggest boons to the NFL's profit margin.

beach tribe 08-08-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadillo Skin (Post 10803025)
Jerra's world, learn to accept and appreciate not hate. Lot of love in that world.

Jerrah was a moron for putting that huge 4:3 screen in his stadium.

The Jags out Jerry'd, Jerry with that super wide screen.

tk13 01-04-2015 06:45 PM

Bumpity bump bump.

:)

Mr. Flopnuts 01-04-2015 06:45 PM

BOOM!

KChiefs1 01-04-2015 06:49 PM

Interesting.

Wallcrawler 01-04-2015 06:53 PM

Explains why they picked up a flag for a blatant pass interference penalty against Dallas.

jjjayb 01-04-2015 06:53 PM

Did he call down to the field and ask that the pass interference call be called off?

jjjayb 01-04-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 11243921)
Explains why they picked up a flag for a blatant pass interference penalty against Dallas.

Beat me to it.

gblowfish 01-04-2015 06:57 PM

Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus!