ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Little BBQ Dive in Independence is Good! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=301670)

gblowfish 08-22-2016 12:24 PM

Little BBQ Dive in Independence is Good!

With real football on the way, getting BBQ for the tailgate is on the way too.
Around Arrowhead, coming from the south, you can go to L.C.'s or Big T's on Blue Parkway. From the West you can go to Gates or Bryant's on Brooklyn. From the North you can hit Smokin' Guns in NKC or Hawg Jaw Q in Riverside. Coming from the East, used to be the closest place was Gates on US 40 near Cool Crest in Independence, which burned in a fire two years ago. The new Gates is being re-built, and may or may not be open in time for regular season.

I found a new place near 35th and Noland in Independence, which is just about a half mile north of I-70 and Noland called P. Moore's BBQ. It sits back off Noland road in an old strip mall building, behind the Social Security Admin building.

It's a mom and pop BBQ. Food is surprisingly good, big portions, decent pricing. A lot of the local cops and firemen go in there for lunch, because the guy who runs it is a retired city employee. If you need a new BBQ spot before the game, check it. I tried it. I liked it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/P-Moo...39508602988434

There's also a BBQ joint in North Independence called "A Little BBQ Joint" that's a block west of River on US 24 Highway, not too far from the Truman Library. It's also good, but further out of the way. Also, if you like old cars, the decor is all old muscle cars.

http://www.alittlebarbqjoint.com/

Eat BBQ!

WhawhaWhat 08-22-2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12381083)
I found a new place near 35th and Noland in Independence, which is just about a half mile north of I-70 and Noland called P. Moore's BBQ. It sits back off Noland road in an old strip mall building, behind the Social Security Admin building.

They do some good burnt ends and their beans are a great side.

gblowfish 08-22-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12381098)
They do some good burnt ends and their beans are a great side.

I haven't had the burnt ends but agree on the beans. Big portion, served hot (I hate it when the beans are tepid or cold) and very tasty. Some of the best in the city.

Pitt Gorilla 08-22-2016 12:45 PM

Now THAT is the Inside Stuff!

(I really do appreciate the information)

gblowfish 08-22-2016 01:15 PM

The other thing to check on all the BBQ joints is what time they open on Sunday. Some open really early to get Arrowhead biz, others don't open until 11am, which makes a Noon kick tough. But even if it's not a tailgate situation, you should try some of these places. Joe's KC, Fiorella's Smokestack, Gates, Bryant's, Rosedale, Woodyard, LC's, Big T's, Smokin' Guns, Hawg Jaws, they're all good. Just avoid places like Rib Crib, Famous Dave's and Bandana's. Eating at these chain places on a KC BBQ pilgrimage is like going to San Antonio for Mexican food and eating at Chili's or Taco Bell.

SAUTO 08-22-2016 01:51 PM

Ive been enjoying SLAPS lately.

Nickhead 08-22-2016 01:57 PM

you mean there are good things in independence again?

Nickhead 08-22-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12381222)
Ive been enjoying SLAPS lately.

i watched ole' boy on bbq pitmasters...

ive tried his rub, roughly (hard to buy local living on an island, he lists his ingredients in a tv viderview).

obviously i have not got it down, because anything close is terrible.

TinyEvel 08-22-2016 02:01 PM

Might we soon see a "Ten Things about Today's Barbecue" thread series? Chefs

SAUTO 08-22-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12381238)
i watched ole' boy on bbq pitmasters...

ive tried his rub, roughly (hard to buy local living on an island, he lists his ingredients in a tv viderview).

obviously i have not got it down, because anything close is terrible.

I don't even usually use sauce when I eat there. The meat doesn't need it

Nickhead 08-22-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 12381248)
I don't even usually use sauce when I eat there. The meat doesn't need it

its the rib rub i am referencing.

its funny...

my favorites were johnny's, rosedale, and mission bbq.

my mother brought some johnny's rub and sauce here down under this last christmas.

after 7 plus years, and having to make my own sauce and rubs, those guys are no longer my fav's.

funny how tastes change.

SAUTO 08-22-2016 02:21 PM

I don't sauce their ribs either...maybe it's different upside down:D

Nickhead 08-22-2016 02:29 PM

id love to start a bbq joint out here along the highway.

there is absolutely too many asian foods, and absolutely no american foods.

(i dont count macca's or kentucky)

ETA: sorry to derail from OP

gblowfish 08-22-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12381233)
you mean there are good things in independence again?

There's LOTS of good things in Independence. Hi-Boy Burgers, The Rhineland (try the Chicken ala Hitler), Englewood Cafe, Stroud's, Polly's Soda Pop, and that's just eats and drinks.

Don't get started with me on my beloved home town.
Them's fightin' words.
I will fight you.

MahiMike 08-22-2016 03:26 PM

Used to be a place on 40 that had great tenderloin sandwiches. I enjoyed my years in Independence