ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Geno Smith vs Alex Smith - It's on. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272597)

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:03 PM

Geno Smith vs Alex Smith - It's on.

It's on now. Geno Smith is probably going to be starting for the Jets this season.

Alex Smith will be the Chiefs QB for the forseeable future. If he's a success, we'll probably get five good years out of him.

So who's gonna win more NFL games over that time period?

Put your ten pounders on the table and make a vote

Alex: 11 wins
Geno: 8 wins

Cannibal 04-28-2013 03:04 PM

Geno went to a shit team.

I think he's going to bust hard. It won't be all his fault though because his team blows.

Rasputin 04-28-2013 03:04 PM

I just don't think Alex Smith is going be starting after next three years do to pussivitis.

AustinChief 04-28-2013 03:05 PM

Tough call since if Alex doesn't succeed he'll be gone and Geno will get much more leeway. I vote Alex but base it on winning % more than total wins.

Rausch 04-28-2013 03:06 PM

I think this was one of the worst situations he could have been placed in (only Jax and the Fade being worse.)

I only voted Alex because I think the Jets will win less than 5 games the next two years...

chiefzilla1501 04-28-2013 03:08 PM

I really don't care about Geno vs. Alex Smith. I care more about Geno vs. whatever QB will ultimately be our QB by 2015 (hopefully that happens soon and it's not Alex Smith).

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9641386)
I really don't care about Geno vs. Alex Smith. I care more about Geno vs. whatever QB will ultimately be our QB by 2015 (hopefully that happens soon and it's not Alex Smith).

I think you are fooling yourself.

Alex Smith is going to start a ton of games for this team the next four seasons.

WV 04-28-2013 03:11 PM

Flawed poll. Average Smith won't be here in 5 years and Geno got a total raw deal getting drafted by one of the worst run franchises EVER.

penbrook 04-28-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9641386)

That guy in 2015 could possibly be Bray.

MTG#10 04-28-2013 03:12 PM

I voted too quick...I would say Geno...and I did...but since he's playing for the Jets probably Alice.

houstonwhodat 04-28-2013 03:12 PM

They both suck.

Put in Chase.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-28-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641391)

Alex Smith is going to start a ton of games for this team the next four seasons.

LMAO suuuuuuuuuure...
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch 04-28-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

He won't be here 4 seasons...

Mr. Kotter 04-28-2013 03:14 PM

Bray will probably replace Alex 3 or 4 years down the road.

And Alex will STILL win more games that Geno in the next five... :)

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-28-2013 03:14 PM

The Jets will ruin Geno.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9641414)
He won't be here 4 seasons...

I'm guessing he's extended after this year.

Can't have a lame duck QB.

chiefzilla1501 04-28-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

I get that the Chiefs have a history of doing this. I don't buy for a second that our front office and coach are that bullheaded about Alex Smith. Apparently, they didn't like the options available in the 2013 draft and 31 other teams seemed to agree.

Fritz88 04-28-2013 03:17 PM

This what happened to your Sanchize, and this what will happen to your Geno

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/sanchez.gif

I think it's a cripple fight.

I'll give the edge to Alex if both last 5 years.

Rausch 04-28-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641419)

I think we'll draft one high over the next 2 years. The FO made it pretty clear they didn't think much at all about the QB's in this draft...

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9641437)
I think we'll draft one high over the next 2 years.

We won't.

Everything will be done to support Alex Smith now.

Next year we'll pick a WR in the first.

chiefzilla1501 04-28-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9641437)
I think we'll draft one high over the next 2 years. The FO made it pretty clear they didn't think much at all about the QB's in this draft...

And Dorsey's breakdown of Alex Smith is pretty spot on. So I agree... I think Dorsey/Reid know what they have in Alex Smith. I don't think there's delusions that he's an elite QB.

T-post Tom 04-28-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9641426)
I get that the Chiefs have a history of doing this. I don't buy for a second that our front office and coach are that bullheaded about Alex Smith. Apparently, they didn't like the options available in the 2013 draft and 31 other teams seemed to agree.

This.

ChiefGator 04-28-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641419)

You mean, before this year? I'm sure he'll be extended... to be a much better on the cap this year. Especially if we end up paying Albert.

RealSNR 04-28-2013 03:25 PM

Geno has his work cut out. Quite a task. However, I wanted to draft him at 1.1 with the knowledge that he'd have his work cut out in KC as well. He either is a winning QB or he's not. I wish our franchise would have been the one to find out.

I voted for Geno with that in mind, and because I have next to zero confidence that Alex Smith will be a world beater of any sort for us.

Saccopoo 04-28-2013 03:25 PM

People think that the Jets are a poorly run team, but they need to remember that their previous GM, Mike Tannebaum, was as bad at his job as Peeholi was and possibly even worse.

Tannebaum being fired will have the same positive impact on the Jets franchise as the firing of Pioli will for the Chiefs. His drafts were horrible, his free agent signings were tragic and he was a total buffoon in his daily running of the Jets franchise.

Their new GM Idzik just absolutely nailed this draft with six potential Day 1 starters.

I think that the Chiefs and Jets are sitting at the same position currently and it's a pretty even playing field for both Geno and Alex. I think Geno has substantially better tools in terms of being a true franchise QB and it will be interesting to see how both fare over the next five seasons where Alex Smith will be heading into his mid-30's and Geno will just be entering his prime.

I think that Alex Smith will win more initially, but Geno should start surpassing him by year three or four. It's going to be close, but in the end, I'd say Geno if Idzik continues to build the Jets through the draft as he did this year versus Reid/Dorsey building the Chiefs via free agency as they did this year.

DRU 04-28-2013 03:25 PM

I think it's interesting how so many here trash our franchise and our front office and how shitty we are, but when the Jets draft him it's, oh, well he wont' do well now cuz they suck and they have a shitty franchise. But you think he would have done well here even with our "shitty regime"..??

Which is it? Would he have done well here because we don't suck and we have a good franchise? Or would he have sucked here, too, just like you're saying he will with the Jets because we suck as a franchise..??

You gotta pick one. If we suck and our front office is shit then it wouldn't matter whether we picked Geno or not. He'd bust just like you're saying he will in NY (but with less media.) If we don't suck, then give our brand new regime a chance to work their plan.

The inconsistent opinions of players and teams around here is just laughable.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9641456)
But you think he would have done well here even with our "shitty regime"..??

If they had drafted Geno they would have instantly been a non shitty regime.

The main reason people think Geno won't do well in NY is the talent.

The Chiefs have more talent here.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 03:29 PM

Geno isn't a Chief, so I really don't give a shit how many wins he gets.

Rasputin 04-28-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

I think it's interesting how so many here trash our franchise and our front office and how shitty we are, but when the Jets draft him it's, oh, well he wont' do well now cuz they suck and they have a shitty franchise. But you think he would have done well here even with our "shitty regime"..??

Which is it? Would he have done well here because we don't suck and we have a good franchise? Or would he have sucked here, too, just like you're saying he will with the Jets because we suck as a franchise..??

You gotta pick one. If we suck and our front office is shit then it wouldn't matter whether we picked Geno or not. He'd bust just like you're saying he will in NY (but with less media.) If we don't suck, then give our brand new regime a chance to work their plan.

Are you kidding? Matt Cassel was the biggest problem for the Chiefs last year. As much as Mark Sanchez is a bad quarterback he had no one to throw the ball too and not even a good running game. Geno Smith is athletic enough to get by with some of the offensive flaws they have.

Yes Geno Smith would do better here or for a team that has players he can thow the ball too.

DRU 04-28-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641463)

I don't see that logic. Seems like if we'd have drafted him 1.1 that would go against the opinion of every scout in the profession, yet that would made our regime instantly a great one..??

Rausch 04-28-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641463)

Geno will also not be ready to play year one. Period.

Everyone knew he need to sit and learn for at least a year. He could have done that here. There'd be no rush.

That alone would have given him a better chance at success...

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9641468)
I don't see that logic. Seems like if we'd have drafted him 1.1 that would go against the opinion of every scout in the profession, yet that would made our regime instantly a great one..??

Taking a chance on a QB high would be the greatest thing this franchise has done in 20 years.

I would have erected golden idols of Dorsey and Reid, and burned incense before them every day.

threebag 04-28-2013 03:32 PM

It's amazing how fast the Geno ball washers went from franchise this to oh he went to shit team. If he went here would it not have been to a shit team also? Seems we picked before the J-E-T-S in the draft. Geno won't amount to shit and Alex is goin to steep his nuts in your mouths bitches. Get use to it that taste you have in your mouth that's Alex ****ing Smith. He has a chip on his medically repaired shoulder and he is going balls deep in you bitches.

DRU 04-28-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9641467)
Are you kidding? Matt Cassel was the biggest problem for the Chiefs last year. As much as Mark Sanchez is a bad quarterback he had no one to throw the ball too and not even a good running game. Geno Smith is athletic enough to get by with some of the offensive flaws they have.

Yes Geno Smith would do better here or for a team that has players he can thow the ball too.

Matt Cassel is no longer here, so if that was your worry then this regime took care of that. They also made the same decision as every other team did about Geno, and decided to fix that problem somewhere else.

So again, I don't see how everybody can complain about this regime for not taking a kid that nobody else valued that much either. Then the one team that does take him, oh well that's a shitty regime. If the only team who thought he was worth taking...in the 2nd round...is shitty, then why would us taking him 1.1 make it a great decision?

Rasputin 04-28-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9641468)

I try to use my own eyes to make judgement on players. Maybe I don't see everything they have but from what I've seen Geno Smith has tallent and poise to be worth 1.1 player taken in the draft. Am I smarter than all the scouts no doubt it but I got balls bigger than the scouts and franchise teams to take a chance on him.

Rausch 04-28-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9641476)
It's amazing how fast the Geno ball washers went from franchise this to oh he went to shit team. If he went here would it not have been to a shit team also? Seems we picked before the J-E-T-S in the draft. Geno won't amount to shit and Alex is goin to steep his nuts in your mouths bitches. Get use to it that taste you have in your mouth that's Alex ****ing Smith. He has a chip on his medically repaired shoulder and he is going balls deep in you bitches.

Do you realize how Bray this sounds?...

Rasputin 04-28-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9641479)
Matt Cassel is no longer here, so if that was your worry then this regime took care of that. They also made the same decision as every other team did about Geno, and decided to fix that problem somewhere else.

So again, I don't see how everybody can complain about this regime for not taking a kid that nobody else valued that much either. Then the one team that does take him, oh well that's a shitty regime. If the only team who thought he was worth taking...in the 2nd round...is shitty, then why would us taking him 1.1 make it a great decision?

**** Matt Cassel **** Alex Smith.

They are the same just Alex Smith doesn't suck as hard as Cassel.

BlackHelicopters 04-28-2013 03:35 PM

Voted Alex. Only works if he wins his first two years. Tough call.

threebag 04-28-2013 03:35 PM

The price was right for Bray.

Mr. Kotter 04-28-2013 03:35 PM

Clayton: Serious question here....what qualifies you to be a better judge of NFL QB talent than Ried or Dorsey?

I'm serious: why should anyone listen to you over them? :shrug:

Weren't you on the Sanchez bandwagon, IIRC??

Is that search function back up, yet???? :hmmm:

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9641495)
Clayton: Serious question here....what qualifies you to be a better judge of NFL QB talent than Ried or Dorsey.

I didn't give Michael Vick a $100 million contract.

And I was not on the Sanchez bandwagon.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 03:36 PM

LMAO This is ****ing Cassel vs Sanchez all over again.

DRU 04-28-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641472)
Taking a chance on a QB high would be the greatest thing this franchise has done in 20 years.

I would have erected golden idols of Dorsey and Reid, and burned incense before them every day.

Even when every opinion in this profession said he wasn't worth it? That sounds like exactly the opposite of what I would expect to judge a regime with.

NOBODY (outside of this website) thinks this kid was worth it, but draft him and we're a great regime. Don't draft him and we suck more than a black hole..?? I just don't get it.

Mr. Kotter 04-28-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641497)
I didn't give Michael Vick a $100 million contract.

You are telling us that was ALL Reid? Seriously??? :spock:

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9641499)
LMAO This is ****ing Cassel vs Sanchez all over again.

Yes, yes it is.

Except this time...Sanchez has a big cannon arm...and 3 years of college experience.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-28-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Great take, TF.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Kotter 04-28-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641497)

And I was not on the Sanchez bandwagon.

You better not have been....any late "deletes" will be noted....heh. ;)

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9641507)
You better not have been....any late "deletes" will be noted....heh. ;)

I was all over Cassel's nuts in 2009.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-28-2013 03:40 PM

If the Jets were patient enough to sit Geno for a year it may have worked out excellently. As is, it's probably a disaster waiting to happen. The only QB to have walked into a worse situation talent-wise and immediately thrown into the fire in the last several years is Gabbert, and Geno has a vicious media on top of that.

Cannibal 04-28-2013 03:40 PM

Tons of teams that had need at QB passed on Geno.

Mr. Kotter 04-28-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641509)
I was all over Cassel's nuts in 2009.

Maybe...but I seem to remember Voyager-like draft desires for Sanchez... :hmmm:

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9641519)
Maybe...but I seem to remember Voyager-like draft desires for Sanchez... :hmmm:

No. As usual you have no idea. I defended the selection of Tyson Jackson rather vehemently.

threebag 04-28-2013 03:44 PM

I was so past Matt POS Cassel I would have taken Doug ****ing Flutie out of retirement. **** Vinny Testeverde, Doug Williams, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, even Jeff George over Matt and his putrid bullshit.

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9641372)
Geno went to a shit team.

I think he's going to bust hard. It won't be all his fault though because his team blows.

I've been told (on here) that franchise QBs elevate the play of everyone around them. If that is true, and Geno is a franchise QB, you should clearly take him. If you think that Geno isn't that sort of difference maker, you should take Alex due to the team around him (although it should be noted that the Chiefs were clearly worse than the Jets last season).

I doubt anyone on here will argue that Alex is a franchise/difference-maker QB.

threebag 04-28-2013 03:45 PM

Matt Cassel sucked so bad when we got Kyle Orton it gave me wood.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:47 PM

I think Geno's deep ball will pay immediate dividends for that team.

Stephen Hill is gonna be their Alvin Harper.

threebag 04-28-2013 03:49 PM

Any mother****er that thought the Cassel deal was worth a shit/ got excited should have no opinion of the quarteback situation at ****ing all. If you know it was you sit down and STFU.

Messier 04-28-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641504)
Yes, yes it is.

Except this time...Sanchez has a big cannon arm...and 3 years of college experience.

And Cassel was a first over all draft pick that actually started for his team, is a legit starting QB, and won a playoff game.

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9641543)
Any mother****er that thought the Cassel deal was worth a shit/ got excited should have no opinion of the quarteback situation at ****ing all. If you know it was you sit down and STFU.

You might as well throw in the folks that wanted Geno at 1.1 and Sanchez in the first.

threebag 04-28-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9641545)
You might as well throw in the folks that wanted Geno at 1.1 and Sanchez in the first.

No shit. Thank you

mikey23545 04-28-2013 03:55 PM

This could be a trick question...

Are Geno's Canadian Football League wins going to count?

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:58 PM

If you want to draft a QB high you aren't dumb. You are smart.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9641552)

Geno Smith will post double-digit wins and a playoff win for the Jets before Alex Smith does for the Chiefs.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-28-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9641529)
I've been told (on here) that franchise QBs elevate the play of everyone around them. If that is true, and Geno is a franchise QB, you should clearly take him. If you think that Geno isn't that sort of difference maker, you should take Alex due to the team around him (although it should be noted that the Chiefs were clearly worse than the Jets last season).

I doubt anyone on here will argue that Alex is a franchise/difference-maker QB.

They do, but finding a ready-made franchise QB from day one is extremely rare.

That's a crucial difference that most Chiefs fans don't get. They want the guy who is ready to go from Day 1 and those players are almost never available.

The far more realistic avenue is to find a QB with the potential to be that kind of player and then develop him into that kind of player.

Young QBs can go to bad teams and start right away and be ok, but only if they have a good coach who understands the modern game. If you take any young QB and put him in with a coach that believes in Hermball you have a recipe for disaster.

If I was coaching a first round QB I'd almost never run on first down. I think that is the single best thing you can do for their development. The worst thing is to constantly put them in 3rd and long, which Ryan, Del Rio, John Fox, and tons of other stooges have done with overly conservative playcalling.

Mr. Kotter 04-28-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9641552)

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641556)

By definition? Geno at 1.1 is smart? How about Barkley or Bray?

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9641558)
They do, but finding a ready-made franchise QB from day one is extremely rare.

That's a crucial difference that most Chiefs fans don't get. They want the guy who is ready to go from Day 1 and those players are almost never available.

The far more realistic avenue is to find a QB with the potential to be that kind of player and then develop him into that kind of player.

Young QBs can go to bad teams and start right away and be ok, but only if they have a good coach who understands the modern game. If you take any young QB and put him in with a coach that believes in Hermball you have a recipe for disaster.

If I was coaching a first round QB I'd almost never run on first down. I think that is the single best thing you can do for their development. The worst thing is to constantly put them in 3rd and long, which Ryan, Del Rio, John Fox, and tons of other stooges have done with overly conservative playcalling.

Is Gabbert salvageable? He has incredible talent.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641557)
Geno Smith will post double-digit wins and a playoff win for the Jets before Alex Smith does for the Chiefs.

The sad part about this statement is you hope that you are correct. Just to justify your position on all of this.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-28-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9641562)
Is Gabbert salvageable? He has incredible talent.

Probably not. The one thing I learned from Gabbert is the importance of pocket presence. He just doesn't have any, and I don't think you can learn that.

DRU 04-28-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Yet having the will power to do something other than what you want to so badly because it's obviously not the best decision makes you even smarter.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9641563)
The sad part about this statement is you hope that you are correct. Just to justify your position on all of this.

There's a difference between hoping you are correct and knowing you are correct.

KChiefs1 04-28-2013 04:05 PM

Lets see....hmmmm.

#1 overall pick vs #39 = Alex Smith
Proven winner in the NFL = Alex Smith
Great teammate & doesn't hang head & sulk = Alex Smith
Alex Smith 40/50 on Wonderlic vs Geno Smith 24/50 = Alex Smith

Alex Smith earned a bachelor's degree in economics in two years with a 3.74 GPA and began work on a master's degree in the field before being drafted. Did Geno graduate?

Alex Smith 4.70 vs Geno Smith 4.59 = Geno Smith
Alex Smith 32" vertical vs Geno Smith 33.5" vertical = Geno Smith

acesn8s 04-28-2013 04:05 PM

The Geno Smith butt hurt is strong with this one.

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 04:06 PM

Comparing QBs by GPA and vertical jump.

This fan base has limitless stupidity.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9641571)
There's a difference between hoping you are correct and knowing you are correct.

And you just knew Cassel was the shit 4 years ago, right?

Hammock Parties 04-28-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9641580)

It only took me a year to figure it out.

KChiefs1 04-28-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

QB's who are high probably isn't a good thing.

mikey23545 04-28-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9641563)

This board is full of drafturbaters who would absolutely wish disaster upon the Chiefs if they thought it would prove them right on some point, massaging their egos.

I can guarantee you a few will explode when reading this post, and start their usual shit about how they would gladly accept being wrong about something if it meant good fortune for the Chiefs, how they've been fans since 1856, blah, blah, blah...

My ass...

Rausch 04-28-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9641580)

Some of us knew it right away...

RunKC 04-28-2013 04:11 PM

I'm just going to use Clay's opinion here to give my answer.

"History says 2nd round QB's are shit and they rarely win anything"