ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Considering Sprint for new phone (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270820)

Fish 03-06-2013 06:43 PM

Considering Sprint for new phone

Hi all,

In the next few weeks I'll be getting new phone service. I'm considering Sprint, as it's $30+ cheaper than Verizon's monthly service for what I want. And unlimited data.

I'm pretty much set on the Galaxy SIII.

But I'm worried about coverage. I spend a lot of time in KS. Central KS and North Central KS near NE. Any Sprint users that could comment about coverage in those areas? Are you overall happy with your coverage? Roaming issues?

Any comment on Sprint is welcome.

Thanks!

candyman 03-06-2013 06:46 PM

I heard its better in KC, but Sprint's internet in most of the country is unbearably slow. They brag about having the only truly unlimited data plan, but the reason its unlimited is because its so slow you couldn't use a lot if you tried. I hacked my Note 2 to force it to run on Verizon's network...that's how bad it is.

WoodDraw 03-06-2013 06:55 PM

Just FYI if you didn't know, the s4 is being announced in around a week. So you might want to wait for that launch or make sure you get a nice discount on the s3

Fish 03-06-2013 07:29 PM

S3 is currently $99 going through Sprint. Another factor that makes me lean toward Sprint.

AustinChief 03-06-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9471575)
I heard its better in KC, but Sprint's internet in most of the country is unbearably slow. They brag about having the only truly unlimited data plan, but the reason its unlimited is because its so slow you couldn't use a lot if you tried. I hacked my Note 2 to force it to run on Verizon's network...that's how bad it is.

Here in Texas, Sprint's data speeds kick all ass and coverage is fantastic. (I can vouch for all over DFW and Austin to San Antonio.. hell, pretty much the entire I-35 corridor except for Hillsboro is top notch in regards to Sprint)

AustinChief 03-06-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9471607)
Just FYI if you didn't know, the s4 is being announced in around a week. So you might want to wait for that launch or make sure you get a nice discount on the s3

Very good point. AND the s4 is rumored to have some pretty incredible new features.. possibly unbreakable screen, and EYE TRACKING that will auto scroll as you read and pause videos when you look away.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-07-2013 09:44 AM

Sprint is very good in Topeka.

candyman 03-07-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9472197)
Here in Texas, Sprint's data speeds kick all ass and coverage is fantastic. (I can vouch for all over DFW and Austin to San Antonio.. hell, pretty much the entire I-35 corridor except for Hillsboro is top notch in regards to Sprint)

Its probably ok in bigger markets, but most everywhere else its ridiculously slow. Just google Sprint data speeds. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of complaints about their shitty data service. I live in a city of 160k + and waiting for this site and any other site to refresh is like being on dialup.

EDIT: Here you go. http://www.pcworld.com/article/25488...d_verizon.html

http://images.pcworld.com/images/art...3-11348491.jpg

lol @ TM's average 3G faster than Sprint's average 4G

Consistent1 03-07-2013 06:41 PM

I am using a LG Venice on boost . My bill goes down $5 a month next month. They have a nice unlimited plan. But it's on Sprint in the end, and the data speeds do vary greatly.

Raiderhater58 03-07-2013 06:56 PM

RUN FAR AWAY from Sprint

AustinChief 03-08-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9474800)
Its probably ok in bigger markets, but most everywhere else its ridiculously slow. Just google Sprint data speeds. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of complaints about their shitty data service. I live in a city of 160k + and waiting for this site and any other site to refresh is like being on dialup.

That well could be true that it is highly regional. I know that Texas (for whatever reason) is a high priority for them and always gets the latest greatest network upgrades.

RedDread 03-08-2013 01:33 AM

I like Sprint but they're too damned expensive. With 90% of my time spent in range of a Wireless Access Point, I should definitely get something that's pay-as-you-go. I wish I could compare the speed with you but I've only ever had them since I've had a smartphone. I'm not in the habit of having download races with friends.

Consistent1 03-08-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9475992)
That well could be true that it is highly regional. I know that Texas (for whatever reason) is a high priority for them and always gets the latest greatest network upgrades.

I am in a fairly small town area in Illinois right now. All the services have the same problems here. I used my old Optimus to hotspot internet here. Sometimes it was brilliant, would run torrent clients at a nice speed, could watch entire concert videos without a glitch. I suppose I was an abusive user in all honesty. Unlimited isn't unlimited anymore. I honestly find that phones don't even run that great on good wifi, but that is just my opinion I guess. Sprint isn't any worse than the other companies here, they all suck. Haha

Consistent1 03-08-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread (Post 9476074)
I like Sprint but they're too damned expensive. With 90% of my time spent in range of a Wireless Access Point, I should definitely get something that's pay-as-you-go. I wish I could compare the speed with you but I've only ever had them since I've had a smartphone. I'm not in the habit of having download races with friends.

I agree with the prepaid thing, it's all I have done for several years. Same speed and all that. Just buy a decent phone, use it for however long you like it, end up at worst with a nice MP3 player and wifi browser.

WoodDraw 03-08-2013 02:20 AM

I'm about one year into my contract, but I've decided I'll never sign one again. For now on I'll just do unlocked GSM, and buy a sim card from somewhere.

I'm still holding out hope that someone will come forward and start a data only plan to compete with the carriers. I use more Skype, Facebook, Viber, Google, and WhatsAPP these days than cellular calls and text messages. Legacy plans are shit.