ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Hunter type folks: where to buy a bow? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268087)

Silock 12-27-2012 03:09 PM

Hunter type folks: where to buy a bow?

Huntersfriend.com looks like they have some amazing packages. Is there a better option locally?

seclark 12-27-2012 03:11 PM

your first bow?
sec

Rain Man 12-27-2012 03:11 PM

I think the Chiefs will franchise him if they can't sign him quickly.

Silock 12-27-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9244114)
your first bow?
sec

No, but first modern compound since they started making them with parallel limbs.

seclark 12-27-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9244121)
No, but first modern compound since they started making them with parallel limbs.

ah...the last bow i bought came from a place about an hour from where i live. i drove down and the owner let me shoot several different models. after watching me for awhilehe was able to measure my arms and make adjustments on the bow. he also made up a dozen arrows for me. i shot it enough there that i was pretty comfortable w/it.

also, he keeps a record of what i bought, etc. this way i can call ahead and tell him i'm coming down so he can have more arrows ready for me.

hope this helps.
sec

ptlyon 12-27-2012 03:34 PM

The key, like sec says, is to shoot a number of different models & makes, and choose the one YOU like.

I ended up with a hoyt even tho I had it in my mind I wanted a matthews, recommended by Iowanian at the time.

Iowanian 12-27-2012 03:39 PM

Go to reputable bow shop. I'd go to a mom n pop place instead of the big chain like bass pro.

Tell them what you're doing, shoot several bows, ask for their advice. Consider doing that at a couple of places, or maybe shoot some bows at the big shop too, then go back to the small shop and buy the bow you like best that fits your budget.

Remember that you're likely to spend about as much on dampeners, stabilizer, arrow rest, site, quiver, release and arrows as you do on the bow. Don't got cheap on the arrow rest or site.

Mathews used to be the way to go, now there are quite a few nice bows on the market. No need to overpay for the brand name. I do shoot a Mathews DXT. My brothers both shoot Browning bows and like them, but don't love them.

Hoyt make nice affordable bows.

Molitoth 12-27-2012 03:40 PM

the store is all out of bows. =(

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...ry-store-s.gif

Iowanian 12-27-2012 03:43 PM

If you can figure out what you want, you might be able to find a used setup that is a season old a lot cheaper. Some of the bow shops will have trade-in rigs from the guys that have to have the latest and greatest every year. You can also find them on craigslist and some of the hunting equipment related facebook groups....or ebay.

jspchief 12-27-2012 03:47 PM

If its your first bow in a long time, you don't need to spend a ton. Anything is likely to be a big increase in performance.

seclark 12-27-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9244159)
If you can figure out what you want, you might be able to find a used setup that is a season old a lot cheaper. Some of the bow shops will have trade-in rigs from the guys that have to have the latest and greatest every year. You can also find them on craigslist and some of the hunting equipment related facebook groups....or ebay.

yes...you can get a complete setup going this route at a very good price.
sec

ptlyon 12-27-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9244166)
If its your first bow in a long time, you don't need to spend a ton. Anything is likely to be a big increase in performance.

Kind of like our QB situation

Silock 12-27-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9244166)

Yes, that's one of the main considerations.

Iowanian 12-27-2012 04:33 PM

In that case, zip over to the large chain store near you, shoot some of their bows, have them figure out your draw length and then tell us which bow you like and I'll help you find a used one online.

As for entry level to mid range bows. They're going to want you to buy a Thousand dollar name brand. Don't.

Silock 12-27-2012 04:38 PM

I don't know where there is one in KC, but I'm sure they exist.