ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=99538)

Buehler445 07-19-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9821025)
Yes, it eventually develops far more holes than quality landscape cloth.

I see. I looked on Home Depot's website for weed barrier and it is all poly. I think I'll just take my chances with the plastic. What is the best way to get a good seal around the edges?

Phobia 07-19-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9821051)
I see. I looked on Home Depot's website for weed barrier and it is all poly. I think I'll just take my chances with the plastic. What is the best way to get a good seal around the edges?

Some type of edging that will hold up to your trimmer. Metal isn't great but it holds up to trimmers. I'd recommend stackable pavers but the price isn't right on those either.

aturnis 07-19-2013 12:06 PM

I'd advise against the plastic. The reason for landscaping fabric is it let's rain water through, but holds the water beneath it for your plants.

If you're worried about weeds poking through, I'd check with a local landscaping company about commercial grade landscaping fabric. Probably costs though.

Phobia 07-19-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9821343)
I'd advise against the plastic. The reason for landscaping fabric is it let's rain water through, but holds the water beneath it for your plants.

If you're worried about weeds poking through, I'd check with a local landscaping company about commercial grade landscaping fabric. Probably costs though.

Good point. If it's up against your foundation, it's even worse. You want your foundation to be properly moist so the earth supports the concrete.

ptlyon 07-19-2013 12:14 PM

Mmmm...moist...

kepp 07-19-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9820959)
I have a smoke detector wired into the ceiling in one room. It started chirping so I changed the battery, but it continues chirping. It's not the battery, the battery is good. I actually unplugged the detector itself from the wire connector and the chirping is coming from above the electrical box that's in the ceiling. All I can see is wires coming through the box. Does anyone know what would be causing the chirping (aside from psychosis). I went in the attic to see if maybe there was one up there that I was hearing but I don't see anything.

I hate when we have a detector that starts chirping because it takes me damned-near forever to figure out which one it is. Apparently that particular frequency can sound like its coming from everywhere at the same time.

allen_kcCard 07-19-2013 12:34 PM

When I have one start chirping, I change all of the ****ers batteries otherwise another one will start doing it at 3AM.

Ace Gunner 07-19-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

I have a smoke detector wired into the ceiling in one room. It started chirping so I changed the battery, but it continues chirping. It's not the battery, the battery is good. I actually unplugged the detector itself from the wire connector and the chirping is coming from above the electrical box that's in the ceiling. All I can see is wires coming through the box. Does anyone know what would be causing the chirping (aside from psychosis). I went in the attic to see if maybe there was one up there that I was hearing but I don't see anything.

it's not a smoke detector -- it's an asshole detector :D

NewChief 07-19-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Is it a CO2 detector? If so, they have a filter on them that you might need to blow out.

I was having phantom smoke detector issues a few months back. They were just going off (like full on going off, not just chirping, which is also annoying) at like 4am. Scared the shit out of us. It was the CO2 thing.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-19-2013 09:52 PM

the landscape cloth works because it keeps the weed seeds from reaching the soil and taking root.

Iowanian 08-28-2013 09:56 AM

I'm looking for some informed opinions on cabinets and hardwood flooring options.

Are Thunder Bay cabinets from Menards Junk or nice budget cabinets?
Also looking at Merillat Classic Hickory.

My intention has been to put in quite a bit of hickory hardwood, but some of the engineered laminate hardwoods look like a decent option. What do I need to know or keep in mind for cost comparison.

Phobia 08-28-2013 10:37 AM

Merillat cabs are good stuff. Heavy markup though. Don't know squat about Thunder Bay. Considerations on hardwood for me would be;
1. How many sandings are in the product.
2. Where is is going, ie: is moisture a concern?
3. Who is the company and what is their warranty?

Iowanian 08-28-2013 10:59 AM

Do you know of a comparable quality cabinet(hickory) to Merillat that would be a better buy?

Basically I have an interior blank slate to fill..........soon...and I'm still open to suggestions.

Any budget conscious counter top recommendations?

Phobia 08-28-2013 11:15 AM

Most my cabinets are either Merillat or custom. Frankly, I think the best budget countertop available currently is granite. It's half the price of butcher block, concrete, or stainless. It's only like $10 more per sqft than laminate. That's a no brainer for me if you're on a budget. It's by far the best choice in the $40-50 range.

aturnis 08-28-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9920935)
I'm looking for some informed opinions on cabinets and hardwood flooring options.

Are Thunder Bay cabinets from Menards Junk or nice budget cabinets?
Also looking at Merillat Classic Hickory.

My intention has been to put in quite a bit of hickory hardwood, but some of the engineered laminate hardwoods look like a decent option. What do I need to know or keep in mind for cost comparison.

Don't buy anything from Menards. They generally sell two qualities of product. Good, and crap. Any cabinet named "Thunder" makes me nervous. Check Home Depot and Lowe's. Not only do they carry higher quality products, but employ adults, whereas Menards employs as many high school and college kids as possible. They are the Wal-Mart of home improvement stores. Not only b/c of those policies, but many others. John Menard is known as being generally a shitty person.

Look at it this way, the low end store brand tools, Husky (Home Depot) & Kobalt (Lowe's) > Tool Shop/Master Force (Menards).

As for flooring. Lumber Liquidators is great and they have many higher grade cheap options. Also, check with a local wood mill and see what it would cost to buy solid Hickory flooring direct from them.

Hope this helps.