ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 6 minute long "Cloud Atlas" trailer. New Wachowski Bros. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261808)

Braincase 10-29-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 9062445)
I wish they had subtitles for about half the movie. The "Big Island" scenes especially.

I really liked it otherwise.

Yep, got the same thing when I listened to the audiobook. It's all some kind of futuristic Big Isle pidgin. The audiobook helped me a lot, but it was weird, Jack!

DMAC 10-29-2012 12:36 PM

They talked like Jar-Jar.

mr. tegu 10-29-2012 01:04 PM

I was really excited to see this movie, but it seems like it just came into the theaters out of nowhere. As opposed to The Hobbit which will have been showing previews in the theaters for almost a year by the time it comes out. Also, October seems like a weird time for a big blockbuster to come out. It seems like they should have waited until Thanksgiving or later to really get the buzz going.

Braincase 10-29-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 9062716)
They talked like Jar-Jar.

More like the University of Hawaii's Defensive Line.

listopencil 10-29-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 9062300)
We were one of only 3 couples in the theater.

And, I was squinting trying to get what was happening quite a few times. I mean, I got the gist of the movie, but ....I don't know. I can't tell you if it was good or not.

Either I tried too hard, or I am just not intelligent enough.

Just saw it today. Great movie. This is the kind of movie that I go to the movies for. Very well crafted, very well acted, looks great. Just a very good movie all around. I'm not sure what you wouldn't "get."

Sorter 10-29-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9063633)
Just saw it today. Great movie. This is the kind of movie that I go to the movies for. Very well crafted, very well acted, looks great. Just a very good movie all around. I'm not sure what you wouldn't "get."

Yay!!

ModSocks 10-30-2012 09:38 AM

Looks interesting. Seems like it'd be a better book than a movie.

listopencil 10-30-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9065356)
Looks interesting. Seems like it'd be a better book than a movie.

That is always true. You can't make a better movie than the book unless the book is poorly written, or is so short that nothing can really be explored. With that being said there were so many points in the movie that just made me smile and think, or truly laugh, or recoil in horror. The movie explores what it is to be human and what it all might mean. And it's not spoon fed to you. It plays out and you are left to actively soak it in. It's a great merging of fantasy and reality. If you are one of those kinds of (highly annoying) people that constantly turn to the person next to you and ask questions during a movie because you can't follow a plot...this movie is not for you. Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's a question of intelligence. It's more of "What do you want from entertainment?" If you want to switch off your brain and watch bouncing boobies and stuff blowing up, pick a different movie.

DMAC 10-30-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9063633)

I'm stupid I guess.

listopencil 10-30-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 9065512)
I'm stupid I guess.

I don't know, what were the points that you felt were holes in the story or overall theme? We should probably do spoilers if we're going to talk about the movie though.

DMAC 10-30-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9065563)
I don't know, what were the points that you felt were holes in the story or overall theme? We should probably do spoilers if we're going to talk about the movie though.

Spoiler!

listopencil 10-30-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 9065613)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

listopencil 10-30-2012 11:21 AM

By the way, I don't actually believe in reincarnation. I do believe that life is generally long enough and rich enough for it to be possible for someone to go through these changes in one lifetime, and that the teachings of Buddha can be applied in an everyday spiritual awakening. You can look at "lives" as a way to express that a person has changed so much that they are no longer the person they were before that change. As if the person were reborn. I don't feel that this is substantially different than the Christian notion of being "born again."

patteeu 10-30-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9065686)
By the way, I don't actually believe in reincarnation. I do believe that life is generally long enough and rich enough for it to be possible for someone to go through these changes in one lifetime, and that the teachings of Buddha can be applied in an everyday spiritual awakening. You can look at "lives" as a way to express that a person has changed so much that they are no longer the person they were before that change. As if the person were reborn. I don't feel that this is substantially different than the Christian notion of being "born again."

My wife has been reborn. When we were going out, she liked the music I like and would sit down and watch entire college basketball games with me. Now my music hurts her ears and she'd rather dust than watch a game. And she says she hates to dust.

listopencil 10-30-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9065704)
My wife has been reborn. When we were going out, she liked the music I like and would sit down and watch entire college basketball games with me. Now my music hurts her ears and she'd rather dust than watch a game. And she says she hates to dust.

Then perhaps you should contemplate what changes in your relationship have facilitated this rebirth.