ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Hunger Games teaser (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=249172)

Deberg_1990 08-29-2011 03:48 PM

The Hunger Games teaser

I know nothing about these movies, just posting this for the fans out there....

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:686022/cp~id%3D1669822%26vid%3D686022%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A686022" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/vma/2011/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">2011 VMA</a>, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/music/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Music</a></p></div></div>

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trai...tml#id=1669822

KcMizzou 08-29-2011 08:45 PM

I think it's like "The Running Man" for the Twilight crowd.

luv 08-29-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 7861861)
I think it's like "The Running Man" for the Twilight crowd.

It's actually a very good book series.

luv 08-29-2011 09:03 PM

That's barely even a teaser.

aturnis 08-29-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7861898)

That's what you said about Twilight!

luv 08-29-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 7861969)
That's what you said about Twilight!

I've never read Twilight.

Deberg_1990 08-29-2011 09:34 PM

Jennifer lawerence is hotter as a blonde.

1moreTRich 08-30-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7861898)

Have you read the entire series?

I think the first one will be easy to adapt to a movie, but the second and especially third aren't quite in the same vein as the first one and I will be curious how they adapt them to film. Also, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch just seems weird to me, idk.

luv 08-30-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 7863445)
Have you read the entire series?

I think the first one will be easy to adapt to a movie, but the second and especially third aren't quite in the same vein as the first one and I will be curious how they adapt them to film. Also, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch just seems weird to me, idk.

I think that, out of all of them, the first one would make for the most boring movie. The second book was my favorite of the three. I think it would make for the best movie.

1moreTRich 08-30-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7863542)
I think that, out of all of them, the first one would make for the most boring movie. The second book was my favorite of the three. I think it would make for the best movie.

Interesting, why do you think the first will be the most boring? Seems to me it has the most action and a good chunk of the character development? The first one was also my favorite of the series so I may be a bit bias in that regard.

Sucky 08-30-2011 02:58 PM

This is supposedly a teenage girl version of Battle Royale.

KevB 09-30-2011 01:43 PM

My 12 year old wants this for her birthday.....anybody read it and feel it's remotely appropriate for a 12 year old (albeit a fairly mature one)? The premise just seems very adult to me.

patteeu 09-30-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 7955257)
My 12 year old wants this for her birthday.....anybody read it and feel it's remotely appropriate for a 12 year old (albeit a fairly mature one)? The premise just seems very adult to me.

It's much more tame than the premise might suggest. No issues with sex or language that I can remember at all. Obviously, there's some violence, but it didn't seem particularly graphic or scary to me. I wouldn't have had a problem with my girls reading it when they were 12. I suspect that there are far worse books in their middle school library or the young adult fiction section of the local library.

KevB 09-30-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7955410)
It's much more tame than the premise might suggest. No issues with sex or language that I can remember at all. Obviously, there's some violence, but it didn't seem particularly graphic or scary to me. I wouldn't have had a problem with my girls reading it when they were 12. I suspect that there are far worse books in their middle school library or the young adult fiction section of the local library.

It was the violence (specifically teen on teen) that worried me.

Chiefnj2 10-03-2011 10:34 AM

It's primarily a violent book. It's Survivor where instead of voting other off, they just kill each other as quickly as possible. If the contestants aren't killing fast enough, the producers help by changing the landscape. I presume the movie will cater to tweens and not show the deaths in detail.

NewChief 10-03-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 7955689)
It was the violence (specifically teen on teen) that worried me.

It's pretty tame, in my opinion.

luv 10-03-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 7863577)
Interesting, why do you think the first will be the most boring? Seems to me it has the most action and a good chunk of the character development? The first one was also my favorite of the series so I may be a bit bias in that regard.

It just seemed, to me anyway, that the first book was mostly just character development with not a lot happening. It only started getting good towards the end, which continues into the second book.

Deberg_1990 11-14-2011 12:18 PM

Full trailer is out now for you fans.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/l...ergames/#share

Deberg_1990 11-14-2011 05:20 PM

Wow, now that ive watched this....i honestly think this looks like crap. Stop the "Young Adult Fiction" crap now Holllywood!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4S9a5V9ODuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

allen_kcCard 11-14-2011 05:55 PM

I thought it looks pretty good actually. I'd heard about the books but never read them.

luv 11-14-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8111509)
I thought it looks pretty good actually. I'd heard about the books but never read them.

Watched that last preview from school without sound. Looks like it follows the book so far. I'll have to watch it again when I get home so I can tell what people are saying. All I can say is that Woody's character looks different than I had pictured. Otherwise, the characters look pretty much like what I would have pictured from the book's discription.

Deberg_1990 11-14-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 8111509)

Guess im not the target audience.....looks too "kiddie" sci-fi for my taste.

patteeu 11-14-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8111598)
Guess im not the target audience.....looks too "kiddie" sci-fi for my taste.

It's definitely kiddie/girlie sci-fi (romantic sci-fi). As someone who thought the books were pretty boring, I think the movies will be OK, especially as family friendly movies (depending on the level of violence your kids can take). I was in the minority thinking the first Twilight movie was OK when I took my two girls to see it though so take this with a grain of salt.

KurtCobain 02-17-2012 08:20 AM

I am so stoked about this. The first book series I've read since Harry Potter and Left Behind.

Except for Gale, the cast looks perfect. I think Woody was a great pick up for Haymitch. Before I read the last book, somebody told me he was going to be Haymitch in a movie version, so I read Mockingjay with the image of Woody as Haymitch in my head. Works well.

I really hope the movies do these awesome ****ing books justice. It should be better than Harry Potter movies because the author was in on the screenwriting, right?

KurtCobain 02-17-2012 08:22 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yt42BZPQRXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KurtCobain 02-17-2012 08:25 AM

http://hungergamesmovie.org/images/6428871.jpg

The messages may initially seem a little conflicting from the stars of The Hunger Games. Earlier we were told by Elizabeth Banks that violence is not the focus of the film, but according to Lawrence, there will be “blood, death, and stabbing.” Okay, so that’s not exactly a surprise; nor is it difficult to understand that some of these things can be shown without being over-the-top on the gore factor.

There’s blood, death, stabbing, spears and arrows going into people. But you can have the impact of violence without being gory,” she said.

Jennifer also spoke about her initial hesitation in taking the role, fearing such a high-profile part rather than portraying the actual character. Luckily, her fears were soothed by her mother, who reminded her, “This is a script you love, a character you love…”

I would love to be Katniss for years… it was more the fear of how my own life could change,” Lawrence said.

Fortunately for us, it appears she will indeed get to fill the hunting boots of Katniss for years to come. I can’t wait to see her full performance on the big screen!

KurtCobain 02-17-2012 08:35 AM

'Hunger Games' Movie Is 'Very Faithful' To Book, Says Director Gary Ross

Posted 2/13/12 11:34 am ET by Kat Rosenfield in Movie News, Movies, Page Turners, Videos

With only a month to go before "The Hunger Games" hits theaters, now is the time for die-hard fans of the books to start really and truly panicking over what kind of terrible, shocking differences there will be between the literary trilogy we loved and the movie we can't wait to see. I mean, it's Hollywood! They could do anything! And what if they make Peeta a butcher boy, not a baker? Or what if Haymitch isn't as drunk as he's supposed to be? Or what if the infamous tracker jacker scene includes a surprise musical number in which the jackers don't just sting, but also sing, tap-dance and play jazz medleys on tiny dystopian saxophones?!! It'll be anarchy!

...Except actually, we don't have to worry about any of this. Because when Josh Horowitz sat down with director Gary Ross, he made sure to grill him real good about just how close he stayed to the source material when adapting the book for film...and Gary came back with the news that not only did he cling as closely as possible to Suzanne Collins' vision, but he was pretty close—literally—to Suzanne herself.

"She wrote the last draft of the script with me," Gary said. "We collaborated. We were in a room together! We locked ourselves up in a room and literally wrote the last draft of the script together."

Okay, then! Consider us assured—because if there's anyone we trust not to muck up the greatness of "The Hunger Games," it's the person who wrote the books. But Gary went one step further, explaining, "It's very, very faithful in the literal sense, but it's even more faithful in the tonal sense. My job is to give you that same visceral feeling you felt when you read the book."

And just in case you still weren't satisfied, Josh went ahead and asked him point-blank: Are there any differences between the books and the movies that are truly going to infuriate fans? Like, say, surprise deaths of characters we expected to see in the sequels?

"Oh no," Gary protested. "No, no, no. It's a faithful adaptation. There are obviously differences, because I'm adapting a book to the screen, but no. It's not like Peeta leaves the story or anything like that."

And by "anything like that," we assume he also means "there will be no singing, tap-dancing, saxophone-playing tracker jackers in this movie." Which is no doubt a great relief to all of us.

KurtCobain 02-17-2012 08:45 AM

Playing an intense, raging bigot in “Rampart” was “the best part I’ve ever been offered and definitely a challenge. It made me buckle down and get to work,” said Woody Harrelson.That work included “all the other things you try to do to saturate your brain in the cop culture: reading books, watching documentaries, looking at movies, going to the shooting range.

“But none of that meant anything compared to going on ride-alongs with cops.”

Harrelson calls Dave Brown, his character, “not just a bad guy. He loves his family and that’s what’s interesting about him. It’s a complex character with a problematic dark side but he also loves his kids.”

Where did Harrelson, a self-described “hippie from Hawaii,” channel this latest tour de force?

“I’m definitely, I don’t know,” he answered softly, “an A personality in a B façade.

“I think I’m naturally my best self when I’m really lazy and not doing anything. When I’m working hard, which is what’s required of you these days, I’m not sure it’s my cup of tea. I really don’t like working.”

But he does it often. Next month he’s in the anticipated blockbuster “The Hunger Games.”

“My family and I read all three books. It’s just so cool,” he said of playing “Games” character Haymitch Abernathy.

Initially he rejected the role. “Gary Ross wanted me to play this part and it’s definitely a supporting character, but I didn’t feel I had enough to do so I did turn it down.”

Ross came back and pleaded, telling Harrelson, “I don’t have a second choice.”

“So I said, OK. Now I can’t imagine having missed it.”

CHENZ A! 02-17-2012 08:48 AM

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first book. I'm enjoying it, and will probably read the other two. Also... Jennifer Lawrence is looking good, never thought much of her (looks wise) in Winters Bone. She's a good actress though and I bet will do a good job.

KurtCobain 02-17-2012 08:50 AM

http://s3.filmequals.com/mov/up/2012...18-550x366.jpg

The Hunger Games stars Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket, Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne, Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy, Donald Sutherland as President Snow, Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman, Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, and is directed and written by Gary Ross.

Synopsis: Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. Part twisted entertainment, part government intimidation tactic, the Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which “Tributes” must fight with one another until one survivor remains.

Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she’s ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Based on the best-selling novel by Suzanne Collins.

The movie will be released to theaters on March 23, 2012.

http://s1.filmequals.com/mov/up/2012...15-550x366.jpg

http://s1.filmequals.com/mov/up/2012...20-550x366.jpg

KurtCobain 02-17-2012 01:40 PM

These fun tykes to fight to the death.

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploa...utes-image.jpg

Bewbies 02-17-2012 05:19 PM

Loved the books, hopefully the movie does them justice...

KurtCobain 02-25-2012 02:41 PM

I got my tickets today!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990 02-25-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 8397345)
I got my tickets today!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Didnt realize you were a 16 year old girl?

KurtCobain 02-25-2012 02:59 PM

Sixteen and a half.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 02-25-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 8397381)
Sixteen and a half.
Posted via Mobile Device

:LOL:

In58men 02-25-2012 04:22 PM

Hate watching teasers, ruins all the good parts. Reading the last book right now.

KurtCobain 02-25-2012 11:00 PM

The last part of the last book is straight ****ed up.
Posted via Mobile Device

pr_capone 02-26-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7861982)
I've never read Twilight.

LIES!!!

luv 02-26-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 8399289)
LIES!!!

LMAO

I still haven't, but I will.

KevB 03-21-2012 11:30 PM

Got to see a pre-screen of this movie tonight. Pretty good flick, stayed true to the book with a handful of adjustments. My daughter loved it. She's halfway through the third book, while I've only read the first one.

Eager audience, but there were instances of cheering/clapping during the movie which is unusual.

Hawk 03-22-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtCobain (Post 8399115)
The last part of the last book is straight ****ed up.
Posted via Mobile Device

No doubt. Unneccesarily so IMO.

lcarus 03-22-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 7955257)

I'm not suggesting what to let your kids watch at what age in any way, but I was watching crap like Nightmare On Elm Street and Friday the 13th when I was like 6. Then again, that wasn't my parents choice. They password protected our cable box and my brother and I started at 0000 and just did as many numbers as we could each day until we got the right code. 0001, 0002, etc. Then when we got tired we would just stop at say 0432, write it down, and start again whenever we felt like it. I know this is a random story, but for some reason your post made me remember that.

Hawk 03-22-2012 09:19 AM

I think the first book is fine for a 12 year old, and the movie should be as well. There is violence and death, but there's no sex, and the violence is not overly gory in the first book and shouldn't be in the movie (though it is certainly sad).

However, the books get more violent as they go culminating in some fairly disturbing scenes in the third book as mentioned above. So for now, if you are worried about it, I'd just let her read the first and see the movie, and make her wait to continue on with the story. Even if you let her read them all, I'm sure she won't be overly scarred. As the poster above pointed out, most of us watched worse at that age (i.e. for me it was horror flicks like Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc.).

None of them scarred me...well except the original Poltergeist, damn that one got to me in a bad way! Still hate clowns and tree branches outside my windows! I guess the supernatural freaked me out more than just straight violence.

RockChalk 03-22-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8482585)
Eager audience, but there were instances of cheering/clapping during the movie which is unusual.

Very awkward. First movie I ever witnessed this in was Independence Day

I shit you not, 2/3 of the crowd gave the movie a standing ovation. It's as if they expected to walk outside and see downed aliens/ships all over the ground. WE WON! WE DEFEATED THE ALIENS!

keg in kc 03-22-2012 09:24 AM

Independence Day was pretty awesome right when it came out. It was only later when we stopped and thought about it did it start to become less awesome.

oldandslow 03-22-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8483191)
Independence Day was pretty awesome right when it came out. It was only later when we stopped and thought about it did it start to become less awesome.

Will Smith punching the alien will always be kinda cool tho.

RockChalk 03-22-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8483191)

I'm not saying I didn't like the movie. Heck, if it's on TV, I'll still get wrapped into it.

What I am saying is that these people in the theater (Glenwood 4 off of Metcalf - RIP) thought they were witnessing the real thing. They cheered as if they believed Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman really saved the world.

http://photos.cinematreasures.org/pr...jpg?1308624827

KevB 03-22-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8483178)
I think the first book is fine for a 12 year old, and the movie should be as well. There is violence and death, but there's no sex, and the violence is not overly gory in the first book and shouldn't be in the movie (though it is certainly sad).

However, the books get more violent as they go culminating in some fairly disturbing scenes in the third book as mentioned above. So for now, if you are worried about it, I'd just let her read the first and see the movie, and make her wait to continue on with the story. Even if you let her read them all, I'm sure she won't be overly scarred. As the poster above pointed out, most of us watched worse at that age (i.e. for me it was horror flicks like Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc.).

The post Icarus posted by me was several months old. It's water under the bridge at this point, as my daughter is almost through all three books and we saw the movie last night.

She's really grown up in the last 6 months, so I let her read them. Odd how quickly she's transformed from little kid to thoughtful young adult. She and I have had several conversations about the content of the first book and now the movie.

In terms of the cheering, the scene that caused the cheers was especially odd/awkward IMO. Without giving much away, let's just say it was a scene when Katniss was in serious peril, got some help and there was a death. Crowd cheered for demise of the "bad guy" in this scene, but in this case the bad guy was just a pawn. Struck me that people watching weren't really considering what just happened....I mean, really happened. It was actually a sad commentary to be honest. I almost felt like I was in the Capitol crowd.

Hawk 03-22-2012 10:43 AM

That is kind of ironic, but people love a good death. My wife and I have been watching the Spartacus series, and every time they show the crowds in the gladiator arena, she just cringes and murmurs in disbelief. You wonder what those crowds were really like back in Roman times because the depiction of them in Spartacus and their reaction to the deaths in the arena are pretty wild.

Buehler445 03-22-2012 11:03 AM

I know nothing about this series. Is it a kids movie? Or something an adult would enjoy.

Great Expectations 03-22-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8483614)
I know nothing about this series. Is it a kids movie? Or something an adult would enjoy.

I was wondering the same thing, I thought it was another twilight type series.

patteeu 03-22-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8483614)

My take on the target audience is teen girls and women, but it's got considerable action including some significant violence in addition to the romance so it's not something that would completely turn guys off. The story includes children killing other children gladiator-style so it's probably not particularly good for young kids.

Hawk 03-22-2012 11:30 AM

Nearly all the adults I know who have read these books have enjoyed them to some degree. I enjoyed them, they are entertaining and not overly long so they are quick reads. Not really kids movie so much as teen movie.

kaplin42 03-22-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8483709)
Nearly all the adults I know who have read these books have enjoyed them to some degree. I enjoyed them, they are entertaining and not overly long so they are quick reads. Not really kids movie so much as teen movie.

Don't know anything more about this book than what I have read here. It seems, at first glimpse, Lord of the Flies on crack, but I could and probably am most definately wrong.

I will see the movie though, because, well, Jennifer Lawrence is hawt.

Deberg_1990 03-22-2012 12:24 PM

This really seems like and odd premise to be so popular amonst the young adult fiction crowd. A combonation of 70's dystopia sc-fi and the Japanese flick Battle Royale.

luv 03-22-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8483888)
This really seems like and odd premise to be so popular amonst the young adult fiction crowd. A combonation of 70's dystopia sc-fi and the Japanese flick Battle Royale.

Have you read the books?

Deberg_1990 03-22-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8483902)
Have you read the books?

No, not at all. But just on the surface from the previews and trailers its alot deeper than the typical Twilight audience would go for. Like i mentioned, its a mashup of 70s sci-fi and Battle Royale.

KevB 03-22-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8483924)
No, not at all. But just on the surface from the previews and trailers its alot deeper than the typical Twilight audience would go for. Like i mentioned, its a mashup of 70s sci-fi and Battle Royale.

Definitely a little bit "deeper" content than Twilight. Politics, freedom, elitism, etc. are all topics that come up when talking to my daughter about this book/movie. I'm not suggesting the book is the end all/be all on those topics by any means, but for a tween/teen it starts to introduce these things.

NewChief 03-22-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8483888)

Dystopian is the new vampire.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...t-hunger-games

JD10367 03-22-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8483924)

Someone else I know mentioned Battle Royale. You could also mention Logan's Run, The Running Man, The Long Walk, etc.,.

All I know is, this movie has gained in popularity as release date approached. We started with a midnight Imax show and a midnight show on the regular-theater side. We added a 2nd midnight. We added a 3rd midnight. They're all sold out and today we added a 4th midnight. I'm sure the film will die down significantly in popularity but, just based on the opening weekend, it should turn a healthy profit.

Deberg_1990 03-22-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8484828)
Someone else I know mentioned Battle Royale. You could also mention Logan's Run, The Running Man, The Long Walk, etc.,.

yea, thats what i said earlier....mashup of 70s Sci-Fi Dystopia (Soylent Green, Logans Run, Clockwork Orange, etc..) and Battle Royale. Very odd subject matter for young adult fiction. Not something girls would normally be attracted to.

KurtCobain 03-22-2012 05:17 PM

All I know is I am stoked.

NewChief 03-22-2012 05:20 PM

And there are a ton of fantastic YA dystopian novels (it was my pet genre for a while). The Uglies series by Westerfeld will likely be a movie soon. Shipbreaker is really good. Unwind by Westerfeld is awesome. Little Brother by Doctorow is amazing though it's near future dystopian.

1moreTRich 03-22-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8484841)
yea, thats what i said earlier....mashup of 70s Sci-Fi Dystopia (Soylent Green, Logans Run, Clockwork Orange, etc..) and Battle Royale. Very odd subject matter for young adult fiction. Not something girls would normally be attracted to.

I have to think that the main draw to these girls is the strong female lead along with the love story. That is what draws them in and they stay for the ride that Katniss goes on.

NewChief 03-22-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 8484964)
I have to think that the main draw to these girls is the strong female lead along with the love story. That is what draws them in and they stay for the ride that Katniss goes on.

It all starts with teachers though. Schools across the country are pushing these "social" novels as a way to get kids to read and compete with the diverse media clamping for their attention. I'm torn. On one hand I love that kids are reading. Unfortunately it doesn't really translate to tolerance for or enjoyment of more complex works.

1moreTRich 03-22-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8484967)
It all starts with teachers though. Schools across the country are pushing these "social" novels as a way to get kids to read and compete with the diverse media clamping for their attention. I'm torn. On one hand I love that kids are reading. Unfortunately it doesn't really translate to tolerance for or enjoyment of more complex works.

Very true, my husband is a middle school language arts teacher and he went and bought a couple extra copies because of the demand. I wouldn't say he was pushing them, but at this point it's a word of mouth thing. I heard a story on NPR today about a school having their own hunger games, without all the killing of course. : ).

1moreTRich 03-22-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8484951)
And there are a ton of fantastic YA dystopian novels (it was my pet genre for a while). The Uglies series by Westerfeld will likely be a movie soon. Shipbreaker is really good. Unwind by Westerfeld is awesome. Little Brother by Doctorow is amazing though it's near future dystopian.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am on a bit of dystopian kick myself, not YA right now, but could go that direction. I'm reading Swastika Nights at the moment. Quite disturbing.

NewChief 03-22-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 8484972)
Very true, my husband is a middle school language arts teacher and he went and bought a couple extra copies because of the demand. I wouldn't say he was pushing them, but at this point it's a word of mouth thing. I heard a story on NPR today about a school having their own hunger games, without all the killing of course. : ).

I'm secondary ELA. I feel like the Common Core is about to smack our kids in the face with the rigor of texts it requires.

1moreTRich 03-22-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8484990)
I'm secondary ELA. I feel like the Common Core is about to smack our kids in the face with the rigor of texts it requires.

I haven't heard too much about what is going to be required with it. I know Kansas adopted it, but I don't know when it actually goes into effect? Right now they are using America's Choice for their curriculum guides, if it's anything tougher than that, his kids are in trouble too. He is in a Title IX school with 98% on free and reduced.

Valiant 03-22-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7955410)

So it rips off Battle Royale but leaves out the gore??

If anyone wants to see it how it should be netflix battle Royale on netflix, the sequel sucks though.. And you have to watch it subtitled..

NewChief 03-22-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8485300)
So it rips off Battle Royale but leaves out the gore??

If anyone wants to see it how it should be netflix battle Royale on netflix, the sequel sucks though.. And you have to watch it subtitled..

Author, fwiw, claims she knew nothing of BR when she wrote book.

Valiant 03-22-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8484828)

All I know is, this movie has gained in popularity as release date approached. We started with a midnight Imax show and a midnight show on the regular-theater side. We added a 2nd midnight. We added a 3rd midnight. They're all sold out and today we added a 4th midnight. I'm sure the film will die down significantly in popularity but, just based on the opening weekend, it should turn a healthy profit.

Whereas those other movies are similar, Hunger Games is damn near and exact copy of Battle Royale though..

This movie is geared more towards girls, Royale is for the guys, think of it as a Tarantino movie..

jiveturkey 03-22-2012 08:40 PM

I saw it an a preview event this evening and I also read the books about a year and a half back.

It felt flat and rushed. I know that they're trying to cram a lot into 2 hours and it's never the same as the book, which makes it OK to skip a lot of things but the parts that they kept still felt rushed.

As best I can remember they stayed true to the book, which is rare.

The special effects were really terrible in a few spots.

For someone who hasn't read the books there will be no expectation for a 2nd or 3rd movie. It just kind of ends. One of my friends after the movie who hasn't read it just said "that's it?".

Buck 03-22-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8485316)
Whereas those other movies are similar, Hunger Games is damn near and exact copy of Battle Royale though..

This movie is geared more towards girls, Royale is for the guys, think of it as a Tarantino movie..

I'm not debating this, but how do you know? Is the movie already out? I haven't been paying attention to movie releases lately.

Valiant 03-22-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8485533)
I'm not debating this, but how do you know? Is the movie already out? I haven't been paying attention to movie releases lately.

The reviews of moms and teenage girls from what I have read.. There is violence, but not the main focus.. They said it is decent, but their target audience is women it seemed..

Valiant 03-22-2012 08:55 PM

For you Buck.. ;)
<iframe src="http://www.collegehumor.com/e/6743777" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Buck 03-22-2012 08:59 PM

Oh. I had no idea this was a girls book / movie.

I knew the main character was a girl, but that was it.

NewChief 03-22-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8485592)
Oh. I had no idea this was a girls book / movie.

I knew the main character was a girl, but that was it.

It's not a girls book. There re just a lot of teenage girls who like it.

Deberg_1990 03-22-2012 09:04 PM

I have to admit, Jennifer Lawrence is smokin. Love that she's not rail thin too. Prefer her as a blonde though.