ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU Kansas and Mizzouri set to renew college basketball rivalry? - Possibly this weekend (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310773)

TLO 10-12-2017 01:11 PM

Kansas and Mizzouri set to renew college basketball rivalry? - Possibly this weekend

Details sketchy at the moment, but both 810 and 610 in the KC area are reporting that this is a "strong likelihood" that the game will happen at the Sprint Center within the next couple of weeks. (And possibly as early as this Sunday - or a week from Sunday)

Reports are that proceeds from the game will be given to Hurricane relief efforts.

More to come

DanBecky 10-12-2017 01:15 PM

Sounds like a week from Sunday

Lzen 10-12-2017 01:16 PM

In the next couple of weeks? That's not how it works. Schedules are already done for the upcoming season. I think you're full of crap.

eDave 10-12-2017 01:17 PM

Kansas adds another cream puff team to their schedule. Nice.

TLO 10-12-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13144682)
In the next couple of weeks? That's not how it works. Schedules are already done for the upcoming season. I think you're full of crap.

I'm not full of anything. I'm simply reporting what I heard on the radio as of a few minutes ago

Lzen 10-12-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13144687)
I'm not full of anything. I'm simply reporting what I heard on the radio as of a few minutes ago

Sorry, perhaps that was a little harsh. However, if there is any truth to this then there's gotta be more. I just read on Phog that they said something about it being an exhibition and they'd have to get a waiver from the NCAA.

TLO 10-12-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13144701)
Sorry, perhaps that was a little harsh. However, if there is any truth to this then there's gotta be more. I just read on Phog that they said something about it being an exhibition and they'd have to get a waiver from the NCAA.

It's all good. I can't find anything in print about it, the only reports I can find anything regarding it are on the radio at the moment. May not even end up happening at all, but it's an interesting idea.

BWillie 10-12-2017 01:44 PM

Why would KU do this? It only benefits KU if they get a football game too. KU gets no benefit from basketball, but some benefit if they schedule football. Self has said he would never play MU.

My guess to what happening is Missouri is offering publicly to play exhibition and proceeds go to hurricane relief so that if KU refuses, they can say KU is against helping those effected by hurricane. Scummy ploy, IMO.

BWillie 10-12-2017 01:45 PM

Also, it is against NCAA rules to play exhibition against other D1 opponents.

duncan_idaho 10-12-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144769)
Why would KU do this? It only benefits KU if they get a football game too. KU gets no benefit from basketball, but some benefit if they schedule football. Self has said he would never play MU.

My guess to what happening is Missouri is offering publicly to play exhibition and proceeds go to hurricane relief so that if KU refuses, they can say KU is against helping those effected by hurricane. Scummy ploy, IMO.

It sounds like Self proposed it.

Perhaps Self is looking at it as a way to be a good human being and raise some money for those who desperately need it.

Sounds like he and Martin are friendly, too. Wouldn't be surprised if this is an indication of a true thawing of Self's attitude towards playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duncan_idaho 10-12-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144771)

They would be seeking a waiver for this component, citing the good it can do for those in need.

Knowing the NCAA, they'll shoot it down.

RockChalk 10-12-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144771)

Hence the waiver.

This is happening. Exhibition game with current players, provided the NCAA approves. Since the organization needs all of the goodwill it can get, the waiver request should be accepted.

duncan_idaho 10-12-2017 02:17 PM

This now seems like the appropriate place to share this:

https://youtu.be/TM09fcA6DDo

kepp 10-12-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13144769)

ROFL Yeah, it couldn't possibly be because both institutions want to help hurricane victims.

KCUnited 10-12-2017 02:21 PM

YES! Looking forward to reading some fresh KU/MU back and forth! /no one