ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto I-49 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267622)

GloryDayz 12-12-2012 10:18 PM

I-49

OK, so the same road gets renamed from 71 to 49 and everybody's happy, I get it.. But they're leaving-out the Bruce R. Watkins Drive portion, "it stays the same." What does that mean? It stays 71? The state gets to keep paying 100% of it? They won't get rid of the GD dumbass lights that serve no purpose other than to slow progress and piss people off??!! WTF for?

dirk digler 12-12-2012 10:48 PM

It is not a federal highway once it pasts Bannister. If it would those stoplights would have been gone and they would have built overpasses, they should anyway.

Quote:

The designation applies to 180 miles of current US-71 between Bannister Road (Route W) in south Kansas City and Route H at Pineville, Missouri

I'mAlwaysRight 12-12-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9203867)
OK, so the same road gets renamed from 71 to 49 and everybody's happy, I get it.. But they're leaving-out the Bruce R. Watkins Drive portion, "it stays the same." What does that mean? It stays 71? The state gets to keep paying 100% of it? They won't get rid of the GD dumbass lights that serve no purpose other than to slow progress and piss people off??!! WTF for?

Did you read the article? This has been a long time coming. The "dumbass lights" are there to accommodate the local residents. Some of the folks along the Bruce Watkins Drive were booted off of their land, out of their homes, twenty+ years ago. They were compensated pennies/dollar what their properties would have been worth in todays $. All the community asked for was reasonable access to the highway that divided their neighborhoods. Besides, I-49 is meant to be a link between the South and the new Gardener Hub. Linking that to the North (Canada) is easy via I-435/I-29.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 12-13-2012 12:51 AM

I-49? I haven't lived in KC since '06 so I'm out of the loop.

Phobia 12-13-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon (Post 9204125)
I-49? I haven't lived in KC since '06 so I'm out of the loop.

You could have lived here until yesterday and been out of the loop. They just changed 71 Hwy to I-49 officially 12/12.

GloryDayz 12-13-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9203927)
It is not a federal highway once it pasts Bannister. If it would those stoplights would have been gone and they would have built overpasses, they should anyway.

They were billing it as a highway that was going to stretch from New Orleans to Canada, so why'd they pick that one part to not make a highway? It seems like a lot of it, heck almost all of it, wasn't a federal highway before this effort (no matter how long it's been in the making), I was just hoping for the people of KC that they could fix that one part of it and get rid of the lights.

BigMeatballDave 12-13-2012 07:45 AM

How could it possibly be an Interstate if there are still traffic lights?

GloryDayz 12-13-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'mAlwaysRight (Post 9203947)
Did you read the article? This has been a long time coming. The "dumbass lights" are there to accommodate the local residents. Some of the folks along the Bruce Watkins Drive were booted off of their land, out of their homes, twenty+ years ago. They were compensated pennies/dollar what their properties would have been worth in todays $. All the community asked for was reasonable access to the highway that divided their neighborhoods. Besides, I-49 is meant to be a link between the South and the new Gardener Hub. Linking that to the North (Canada) is easy via I-435/I-29.

I think over/under passes and on ramps are plenty reasonable in terms of access. As for being displaced, it's never fun, but it's rare that they essentially leave the road as inefficient as they're leaving it simply because of that. As for pennies on the dollar, I think 20 years should always make a difference. In this case, if you're saying that while so many people are having a hard time selling homes, perhaps the vitality of that corridor has as much to do with the traffic that the new BRW Drive has brought as anything else. It's a double-edged sword to say the least. Look how many businesses and towns are just giddy about it... I'll admit I get the concept, but sometimes I think that it's a bit overplayed - like the $100M trolleys..

GloryDayz 12-13-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9204375)
How could it possibly be an Interstate if there are still traffic lights?

I agree, I guess that too is part of my confusion. All I know is I'd love to see them replaced with on/off-ramps...

dirk digler 12-13-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9204371)
They were billing it as a highway that was going to stretch from New Orleans to Canada, so why'd they pick that one part to not make a highway? It seems like a lot of it, heck almost all of it, wasn't a federal highway before this effort (no matter how long it's been in the making), I was just hoping for the people of KC that they could fix that one part of it and get rid of the lights.

According to Wikipedia there is a court order preventing them to change it.

Quote:

Many neighborhood associations in Kansas City have historically objected to upgrading US-71 to a freeway.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-pitch050526_19-0">[19]</sup> MoDOT has gone on record stating a court order keeps them from removing the stoplights, making conversion of this stretch unlikely.

As for any future upgrade, a MoDOT blog post says "Ample right of way was acquired to someday allow MoDOT to reconstruct the three signal-controlled, at-grade intersections to grade-separated interchanges, allowing traffic on Bruce R. Watkins Drive to flow unimpeded. Neither MoDOT nor the city of Kansas City can initiate this change. It is up to the citizens, who must raise the issue again through the court system to amend the class-action agreement.

BigMeatballDave 12-13-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9204418)
According to Wikipedia there is a court order preventing them to change it.

Stupid.

I was living there when they were building that stretch, and it didn't make sense to me then that they weren't constructing overpasses for local traffic.

PatriotReign 12-13-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'mAlwaysRight (Post 9203947)

Its the Hood and todays housing market stinks.

GloryDayz 12-13-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriotReign (Post 9204438)
Its the Hood and todays housing market stinks.

There is that, but I've actually heard of said "court order" because I wanted a light added to 50 highway in Lee's Summit for buses taking kids to school and was told you can't add them to highways. I brought up those along that part of 71, and the MO traffic engineer I was talking to just laughed and said that it was Emanuel Cleaver "deal" to help vitalize that small part of the road. It didn't hold true north of Brush Creek...

Interesting..

Dr. Gigglepants 12-13-2012 11:26 AM

Elevated "express" lane right over the existing portion of 71 from just south of Gregory to just north of 55th or wherever that last stop light is. Turn the existing portion into an outer road of sorts. Problem solved, everyone keeps their homes in tact and I no longer shit my pants when I get that dreaded yellow light
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz 12-13-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 9204756)
Elevated "express" lane right over the existing portion of 71 from just south of Gregory to just north of 55th or wherever that last stop light is. Turn the existing portion into an outer road of sorts. Problem solved, everyone keeps their homes in tact and I no longer shit my pants when I get that dreaded yellow light
Posted via Mobile Device

What, you don't stop there weekly to fill-up on gas and eat?