ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Car Cleaning Tricks and Tips (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307239)

notorious 04-20-2017 07:50 AM

Car Cleaning Tricks and Tips

Spring is here and we all like to drive clean cars, inside and out. Post questions, tips, and tricks here!

notorious 04-20-2017 07:53 AM

Main reason I started this thread is becaue the bugs have started to get bad. Does anyone use a product on the windshield/front end/grill/mirrors that help keep the bugs from sticking? And tricks for getting them off?

I have a big 2500 pickup that is like driving a wall which catches everything.

BucEyedPea 04-20-2017 07:55 AM

No but my driveway is under a huge old oak tree and it drips sap on my car.
We don't have basements, so my garage is full of stuff.

loochy 04-20-2017 07:57 AM

I always use rain-x on my glass.

I keep the rest of the car sealed and waxed, and in between waxings I use detailer spray. The bugs come off quite easily, usually with just water.

I used to use Meguiar's Gold Class detailer, but I've moved on to this stuff, which is freaking awesome (and cheaper too):

Aero WashWax All
https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Air...o+wash+wax+all
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious 04-20-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12831797)

Sap sucks. I waited for a hot day, wiped off what I could, then used rubbing alcohol to clean the residue.

JohnnyHammersticks 04-20-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12831795)
Main reason I started this thread is becaue the bugs have started to get bad. Does anyone use a product on the windshield/front end/grill/mirrors that help keep the bugs from sticking? And tricks for getting them off?

I have a big 2500 pickup that is like driving a wall which catches everything.

I don't know how you guys deal with that. Every summer I drive from CO to MO to see my family and the front of my Jeep ends up plastered with them. It's like trying to get glue off.

loochy 04-20-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12831797)

I don't have a basement either. Clean out the garage and don't be a hoarder.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy 04-20-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 12831805)
I don't know how you guys deal with that. Every summer I drive from CO to MO to see my family and the front of my Jeep ends up plastered with them. It's like trying to get glue off.

See above. If you keep the surface coated with wax and sealant, the bug (or dirt or whatever) won't bond to the paint and they come off easily. It also helps to wash the car often to keep the bugs from baking on and really bonding.
Posted via Mobile Device

ptlyon 04-20-2017 08:01 AM

Step 1: Take to car wash

notorious 04-20-2017 08:01 AM

I had a friend that used brake and carb cleaner on his wheels. LMAO

DO NOT DO THIS

loochy 04-20-2017 08:02 AM

Do you wash your car, but it still doesn't look quite like it did when it was new and you can't figure out what exactly it is?

You probably need to clean your wheelwells. That makes a BIG difference in how the car looks. Clean them out with soap and water, and then spray some tire shine up in there. They'll take on a new looking black sheen and it will majorly improve the look of your vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy 04-20-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12831819)
I had a friend that used brake and carb cleaner on his wheels. LMAO

DO NOT DO THIS

Heh, you'll eat your clearcoat.

Protip: Wax your wheels and keep them waxed and cleaned off with detailer. There is special wheel wax that stands up to the heat and road chemicals better than normal wax. If you keep them waxed, you can just wipe off the wheels with a microfiber cloth and a bit of detailer spray.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious 04-20-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 12831821)
Do you wash your car, but it still doesn't look quite like it did when it was new and you can't figure out what exactly it is?

You probably need to clean your wheelwells. That makes a BIG difference in how the car looks. Clean them out with soap and water, and then spray some tire shine up in there. They'll take on a new looking black sheen and it will majorly improve the look of your vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Also, wipe down the inside part of the doors that aren't visible when closed. A lot of dust and dirt get up there and ruin the appearance.

ptlyon 04-20-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 12831827)
Heh, you'll eat your clearcoat.

OH YA BUT DAT CLEAR COAT DONCHA KNOW

loochy 04-20-2017 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12831828)
Also, wipe down the inside part of the doors that aren't visible when closed. A lot of dust and dirt get up there and ruin the appearance.

Yes, great tip. A simple damp cloth works well for that. No special cleaners are needed. You can also do that space around the edge of the trunk and around the edge of the hood.

Lastly, don't forget to clean inside the gas door. If you don't clean it, water will get in there and drip out dirty water, leaving little dirt streaks running down the side of the car.