ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Obama WaPo: Trump is on track to win reelection (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310633)

Taco John 10-07-2017 06:38 PM

I think the Democrat stage is going to look a lot like the Republican stage the next time around. Everyone and their dog catcher is going to try to be the Democrat nominee.

Biden
Gore
Kerry
Cuban
Zuckerberg
Clooney
Winfrey
Brown
Deblasio
Kaine
McAuliffe
Sanders
Gabbard
McKinney
Brown
Cuomo
Dayton
Clinton?

notorious 10-07-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 13130562)
Trying to forecast 2020 without seeing what happens in 2018 is like trying to catch a fart in a tornado.

This is some good shit. ROFL

Pueblo Chieftan 10-07-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 13131155)
I think the Democrat stage is going to look a lot like the Republican stage the next time around. Everyone and their dog catcher is going to try to be the Democrat nominee.

Biden
Gore
Kerry
Cuban
Zuckerberg
Clooney
Winfrey
Brown
Deblasio
Kaine
McAuliffe
Sanders
Gabbard
McKinney
Brown
Cuomo
Dayton
Clinton?

A lot depends on how Trump performs as president.

If Trump is poorly regarded, which I think is likely, you’ll see “establishment” Democrats step up, but they will ABSOLUTELY need to have charisma.

If Trump does well and looks hard to beat, you’ll see more unorthodox and less mainstream candidates run.

First, I will mention those who I DO NOT think will run.

Tim Kaine - Flubbed the VP debate vs. Pence. Not charismatic. Downright boring in fact, but a good vote-getter in Virginia. Dems will need him to hold that senate seat.

Michelle Obama - she has never shown interested in actually being a politician.

Hillary Clinton- she is DONE. She got the consolation prize, along with Samuel Tilden, of winning the popular vote.

Martin O’Malley - zzzzzzzz…… oh, sorry I fell asleep. Did someone say something?

Elizabeth Warren - She’s too old, she’s got too much baggage, and she can have more influence as the liberal lion in the Senate with Ted Kennedy’s old seat. She makes for a very good senator, I think. On the stump, though, she is not very charismatic… I was not that impressed with her when I saw her with Hillary.

Now, those who seem likely to run, or at least are quite plausible:

As others have mentioned, Cory Booker seems highly probable in either case, but more in the former. He’s a fresh face & likeable, has been in the Senate long enough to be well regarded in the party, & look like a sane choice compared to Trump, but he has not been around long enough to become “establishment.” Seems to have a good middle ground between the Bernie people and the moderates.
Andrew Cuomo has not been shy about his ambitions to run for president. However, he will be bitterly contested by the Bernie/Warren wing. He is basically a Republican. Worse than Hillary, from the left’s perspective, by far. He also has plenty of corruption baggage.
Kirsten Gillibrand is less objectionable than Cuomo for the left wing. She’s like a s younger, less scandal-ridden version of Hillary Clinton. She has managed to stay out of the limelight, but with that seems to be a lack of major accomplishment. She’s not very charismatic. Not bad, but not good.
Kamala Harris - the most charismatic of any of the potential women and friendly with the Obamas, which will be far more powerful than the Clinton wing by 2020. We’ll see what kind of path she can strike in the senate.

I think it will be Harris or Booker. Personally, and I hate to say this, but I think a male will be needed to unseat Trump, so Booker. However, I have been impressed with Harris.

The 2nd tier -

Bernie Sanders - He will be very old, but I think the possibility exists and he now has an enormous fan club. He’s pretty chipper and has not ruled it out.
Added by comment suggestions -Gavin Newsom, current Lieutenant Governor of California, assuming he gets elected governor in 2018. Attactive and charismatic with a pretty family. Was 2 term mayor of San Francisco which will work against him, but he was conservative by Bay Area standards. Represents well the socially liberal, economic moderate pro-tech business wing of the modern Democrats. Will struggle with elitism accusations.
Amy Klobuchar - talked about both in 2008 and 2012. Very popular in her home state. Not charismatic.
Tulsi Gabbard - possibly a Bernie heir apparent, but young, attractive, diverse background, military background. Main drawback is being from Hawaii. She may be the token Democrat on Trump’s cabinet, though, indicating that he sees her as a threat and wants to take her off the table. She will be anathema to the Democratic Party if she takes a job with the Trump administration, much like Jon Huntsman was for the Republicans.
Julian Castro (or Joaquin) - Always kind of looks like a lightweight & have never won statewide offices. Also, I think it was proven in 2016 that black vote > hispanic vote.
Sherrod Brown - No charisma. Will probably lose senate re-election in Ohio in 2018. No.
Tammy Duckworth - Being based out of Illinois is helpful for the midwest. Good military background.
Al Franken - also from Minnesota - midwest is good. Can be funny. Getting older these days.

Potential big-city mayors -

Bill de Blasio - Too liberal in the wrong ways (gun control). Mishandled police issues.. would get destroyed on that.
Eric Garcetti - Los Angeles mayor who has already been an opponent of Trump.

Pandering for the “Bubba” vote:

If Democrats want to try and contest the old school conservative Dems / white working class vote, they actually do have a few options.

John Bel Edwards - governor of a VERY red state. Middling approval though.
Jon Tester - senator from a red western state who will probably be better off running for president than running for senate re-election that he will surely lose.
Steve Bullock - popular red state governor
Joe Manchin - about as conservative as a Dem will get.

Possible celebrities:

Kanye West
Mark Cuban
Unknown celebrity - Trump has opened the way for non-politicians to run and win.

Tl;Dr I’d bet my hat it’s Booker. Unless Trump turns out to be a strong president. Then you could see someone like Al Franken.

Lex Luthor 10-07-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pueblo Chieftan (Post 13131177)
Possible celebrities:

Kanye West
Mark Cuban
Unknown celebrity - Trump has opened the way for non-politicians to run and win.

Cuban vs. Trump would certainly be an interesting campaign.

chiefzilla1501 10-08-2017 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13131104)
A staunchly down the line progressive is no threat to win middle America, and thus no threat at all

If the Democrats went with Pete Buttigieg for DNC chair, they might have a fighting shot. He ran on a platform that the DNC needs to win multiple small races instead of focusing on just the big urban ones. He was soundly defeated. The Dems are completely clueless about why they lost.

Bob Dole 10-08-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 13131120)
No shit. A 32% approval rating 8 months in is not a good indicator for re-election. Being in prison is an even worse one.

Still ****ing that chicken, I see.

baitism 10-08-2017 08:03 AM

Obama 2.0 isn't going to win...

notorious 10-08-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 13131533)
Obama 2.0 isn't going to win...

What if they run a woman that isn't involved in a dozen scandals and isn't an establishment crone?

Pueblo Chieftan 10-08-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor (Post 13131400)
Cuban vs. Trump would certainly be an interesting campaign.

Mark Cuban’s very, very likable - I can see him getting a lot of support. Like Trump, he lacks governmental experience but has a stronger business track record than Trump and is a genuinely intelligent personable guy.

However, if Donald Trump does a poor job as president, it is going to make it much more difficult for someone to run as an “outsider businessman” who is going to come to DC and clean it up. Trump was put into the White House by people who signed up to that narrative, and it won’t work a second time, I suspect, if it fails abjectly the first.

Pogue 10-01-2018 10:32 AM

Gist of the NYT article is that Trump owns the media and they don’t see a DNC candidate to supplant that.

https://www.wral.com/why-trump-will-...term/17882354/

baitism 10-01-2018 11:50 AM

Once again. People don't understand that millions of people vote for a president without necessarily approving of them. Lots of people dislike Trump, but see the benefits of his policies.

Reerun_KC 10-01-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitism (Post 13777984)
Once again. People don't understand that millions of people vote for a president without necessarily approving of them. Lots of people dislike Trump, but see the benefits of his policies.

Not a fan of him but I can’t discount what he has done for my family’s financials... complete 180 frome the Islam years of Osama

HonestChieffan 10-01-2018 03:25 PM

Sleazy hate filled leftists still think Trump was elected by angry stupid unwashed people

Reerun_KC 10-01-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 13778678)
Sleazy hate filled leftists still think Trump was elected by angry stupid unwashed people

The deplorable dregs of society.

Taco John 10-01-2018 10:15 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WOW - THANK YOU TENNESSEE! <a href="https://t.co/38UUDqfIz5">pic.twitter.com/38UUDqfIz5</a></p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1046925327958708226?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 2, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>