ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What would you do if offered a paid relocation to Punta Cana? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=302418)

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 09:58 AM

What would you do if offered a paid relocation to Punta Cana?

Because that's what just happened in my world. I literally just took a job as the Director of Sales for a company running 6-8 road teams and it's a great job. This would be a demotion but it's a ****ing paid relocation to Punta Cana and housing on an all inclusive 5 star resort for 60 days. I have zero kids. A couple of dogs that would have to come later. It's a demotion however, although it's still plenty of money in a place that requires very little. Closer to Venezuela than Florida so the Coke runs like water. Whew. Part of me says stay focused on retiring ASAP, and part of me says YOLO this kind of is. What would you do? What would Jesus do? What would Nickhead do?

WhawhaWhat 09-23-2016 10:00 AM

Cheap coke and hookers.

Shag 09-23-2016 10:01 AM

Quality of life > title. Do it, and live the life of Dominican luxury. You could probably retire a lot earlier down there, given the cost of living.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:07 AM

So the job is only for 60 days or you have to find housing after 60 days?

Bwana 09-23-2016 10:08 AM

Hmm, have you ever been to the Dominican Republic? There would pro's and con's for sure. I would take a trip down there for at least a couple of weeks and check stuff out first. Reading things about it on the internet is all good, but until you actually experience the place, you won't really know.

ChiTown 09-23-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443644)

My question as well

scho63 09-23-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443628)
Because that's what just happened in my world. I literally just took a job as the Director of Sales for a company running 6-8 road teams and it's a great job. This would be a demotion but it's a ****ing paid relocation to Punta Cana and housing on an all inclusive 5 star resort for 60 days. I have zero kids. A couple of dogs that would have to come later. It's a demotion however, although it's still plenty of money in a place that requires very little. Closer to Venezuela than Florida so the Coke runs like water. Whew. Part of me says stay focused on retiring ASAP, and part of me says YOLO this kind of is. What would you do? What would Jesus do? What would Nickhead do?

Do you have the discipline not to go hog wild in a place like that and focus on work? :hmmm:

As far as a "demotion", titles mean shit in the broader context of things. I've had 3 VP titles and those 3 jobs I made the LEAST amount of money in my life. My three best "titles' where I made the most money; Pressman, Business Development Manager, and Senior Account Manager.

Unless you are going from the CEO to the janitor, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, what are the RISKS of the job in Punta Cana? Could you get there and a month later they fire you? (Had that happen to me when I moved to Toronto and the company's VC's stop funding the company and they shut it down after 4 years. I was there for just two weeks after leaving the US.) :shake:

Yosef_Malkovitch 09-23-2016 10:13 AM

When you're on your deathbed, do you think you'll be made happier by the fact that you've got a couple more bucks in the bank, or the fact that you've got some awesome memories?

Plus, the fact that you're unmarried, means no constraints on you. No wife/kids to support means you simply don't need nearly as much $$ to get by, and you can still sock away for retirement.

Heck, if I had never gotten married and changed nothing else about my life, I would have been able to retire at 50. So there's your pay raise right there: just take the job and remain unmarried. Or, if you marry, don't have kids. Unless you just want 'em I suppose.

YOLO.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 12443628)

There are probably fewer of us racist mouth-breathers down there so you'll have that going for you.

But whatever you choose, you should probably **** yourself first. Lord knows no woman will be doing it for you.

hometeam 09-23-2016 10:14 AM

I have been there and its kind of a shithole. That being said, im sure there plenty of good things to go along with it.

Bowser 09-23-2016 10:16 AM

How much of a cut in pay would you be looking at? And Pest's question is important, too.

I spent a week on a resort in Punta Cana this last winter. Beautiful place, and seems to be a little better off than Jamaica when you get away from the resorts. That's all the info on the Dominican I can give you, lol.

vailpass 09-23-2016 10:16 AM

Stay focused on your current path and work your plan. You are in the prime earning stage of your life to this point, a step backwards would be surrendering ground you may never recover. Secure your retirement first. Over the next few year take a vacation to Punta Cana and other locales, maybe more than one, see if you'd want to retire there.

The Franchise 09-23-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosef_Malkovitch (Post 12443659)
When you're on your deathbed, do you think you'll be made happier by the fact that you've got a couple more bucks in the bank, or the fact that you've got some awesome memories?

Plus, the fact that you're unmarried, means no constraints on you. No wife/kids to support means you simply don't need nearly as much $$ to get by, and you can still sock away for retirement.

Heck, if I had never gotten married and changed nothing else about my life, I would have been able to retire at 50. So there's your pay raise right there: just take the job and remain unmarried. Or, if you marry, don't have kids. Unless you just want 'em I suppose.

YOLO.

Unless I've missed something in the last year.....he's married.

O.city 09-23-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 12443666)
How much of a cut in pay would you be looking at? And Pest's question is important, too.

I spent a week on a resort in Punta Cana this last winter. Beautiful place, and seems to be a little better off than Jamaica when you get away from the resorts. That's all the info on the Dominican I can give you, lol.

I'm going to Jamaica next week, is it bad?

Mr. Flopnuts 09-23-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12443644)

The job is as long as I want it, but free housing is just 60 days.