ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Strong Safeties to replace Kendrick Lewis (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269623)

RunKC 02-02-2013 05:09 PM

Strong Safeties to replace Kendrick Lewis

Yeah I know Lewis wasn't a SS, but he'll be replaced and Berry is better served playing FS covering the deep ball, so obviously we need a SS. Who do you like in the draft?

I personally like Bacarri Rambo from Georgia. Zeke Motta, Phillip Thomas and DJ Swearinger look like good options too.

Thoughts?

Titty Meat 02-02-2013 09:30 PM

Leave Berry where he is.

chiefscafan 02-02-2013 09:37 PM

I would get tj McDonald if he is there

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-02-2013 10:14 PM

I know we all like the idea of Berry as an Ed Reed type centerfielding ballhawk, but we may have to come to grips with the fact that he can't cover for shit. At this point, he's a better version of Roy Williams.

Demonpenz 02-02-2013 10:15 PM

I'll take Berry being a pollard type of player

ChiefRocka 02-02-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9373620)
I'll take Berry being a pollard type of player

this post make me sad

BossChief 02-02-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9373617)
I know we all like the idea of Berry as an Ed Reed type centerfielding ballhawk, but we may have to come to grips with the fact that he can't cover for shit. At this point, he's a better version of Roy Williams.

Berry was just fine until Kiffen got ahold of him.

He was a game breaker.

As soon as Kiffen got there and tried to make him a linebacker, his playmaking/game changing ability went south.

2 years before Kiffen:
12 ints
3 tds
487 int return yards

Year with Kiffen:
2 ints
7yards

Kiffen moved him into the box more and took away his speed and ball skills.

I think he needs to go back to what made him a star.

Wilson8 02-03-2013 12:10 AM

William Moore Atlanta if you move Berry to FS.

Jairus Byrd Buffalo if you keep Berry at SS.

If KC uses the draft to improve their safety position, Duke Williams Nevada or Jonathan Cyprien Florida International might be drafted in the 4th or 5th rounds.

BossChief 02-03-2013 01:25 AM

I'd be ecstatic if we signed Moore or Byrd.

Ace Gunner 02-03-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9373696)
Berry was just fine until Kiffen got ahold of him.

He was a game breaker.

As soon as Kiffen got there and tried to make him a linebacker, his playmaking/game changing ability went south.

2 years before Kiffen:
12 ints
3 tds
487 int return yards

Year with Kiffen:
2 ints
7yards

Kiffen moved him into the box more and took away his speed and ball skills.

I think he needs to go back to what made him a star.

This is not true.

First, Monty Kiffin runs a Tampa 2 defense as we all know, and this style puts both safeties deep, putting more area in the zone of LB's, who also play deeper than normal.

2nd, because Berry was in cover 2 this splits the field, leaving him to cover one side, normally the #1 WR side of the field. Teams did not throw at Berry that final season because he was such a ball hawk. Hence, the stats fell, but Berry played some good ball that senior season, most experts agree.

3rd, if you slide the safety into the box, you are playing Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. This defensive style is only used during 3rd and short situations, if at all.

When I read posts (not yours) claiming "Berry should be that 46 defensive player" yadayada, I just laugh at the stupidity. That alignment is a situational alignment. Not a base defense.

RUSH 02-03-2013 09:09 AM

DJ Swearinger is a personal favorite of mine if the Chiefs go this route. Big hitter, versatile, sure tackler and good in coverage. Was asked to pretty much do everything at South Carolina and didn't miss a beat.

I'd say the Chiefs can probably get him in the 3rd. Might go a little earlier if he runs well.

This safety class is a great one. Lewis should be able to be replaced fairly easily. A lot of them are poor tacklers though so that's a big reason I like Swearinger.

RUSH 02-03-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 9373743)
William Moore Atlanta if you move Berry to FS.

Jairus Byrd Buffalo if you keep Berry at SS.

If KC uses the draft to improve their safety position, Duke Williams Nevada or Jonathan Cyprien Florida International might be drafted in the 4th or 5th rounds.

Idk man Cyrpien was great at the senior bowl and seems to have a lot of buzz after. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cyrpien go in the late first. 2nd rounder at worst imo.

BossChief 02-03-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9374014)
This is not true.

First, Monty Kiffin runs a Tampa 2 defense as we all know, and this style puts both safeties deep, putting more area in the zone of LB's, who also play deeper than normal.

2nd, because Berry was in cover 2 this splits the field, leaving him to cover one side, normally the #1 WR side of the field. Teams did not throw at Berry that final season because he was such a ball hawk. Hence, the stats fell, but Berry played some good ball that senior season, most experts agree.

3rd, if you slide the safety into the box, you are playing Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. This defensive style is only used during 3rd and short situations, if at all.

When I read posts (not yours) claiming "Berry should be that 46 defensive player" yadayada, I just laugh at the stupidity. That alignment is a situational alignment. Not a base defense.

You dont watch college football. Don't act like you do.

Kiffen didn't run his standard Tampa 2 at Tennessee and he absolutely did use Berry as a box safety/extra linebacker.

Ace Gunner 02-03-2013 02:50 PM

well you are correct he did not line them up the way it was back in the day, but Berry played mostly cover 2 and made his tackles from that split safety position.

I did watch a few games that season and what was good about Berry was his jump on the play and his speed coming down to make some big hits and tackles. As we recall, Berry's question mark was whether he would stop the hitting and wrap up.

Nightfyre 02-03-2013 03:58 PM

I will be interested to see how good our players suddenly seem with legitimate coaching and a better scheme design. I bet they turn Berry loose a little bit, allowing him to play more instinctively.