ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Best way to kill off a tree stump? (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306613)

Bwana 03-14-2017 05:32 PM

Best way to kill off a tree stump?
 
So when I moved into this house 15 plus years ago the former owner had planted a couple of trees between the sidewalk and the street. Fast forward to last year and the roots had pretty much destroyed my sidewalk so I had them cut down last summer.

Now I have two big stumps that are still alive and I'm getting ready to drop $2500 to have the sidewalk replaced. I drilled a bunch of 1 inch holes in the stumps at the end of the summer and dumped something in the holes, but the beasts are still alive. I would burn the damn things, but the fire department would frown on such an activity. If I was in the country, I would blow them up with dynamite or just make a few pipe bombs to take them out, but obviously the neighbors would become restless when their windows blew out. :hmmm:

I checked into having someone come over with a stump grinder and they are WAY to pound of their services. So is their a good chemical out there to take these wooden bastards to the promised land that anyone has had success with? I hear good things about this but I honestly have no idea if this is going to take them out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BWillie 03-14-2017 05:34 PM

There is some powder I bought at the hardware store. Put it on the stump and it decays it. Results aren't immediate but it worked for me. Took about a season and then it was all out of there. Had to go back a few times to gradually remove the decayed wood though. If you put it on there more often than I did it probably works even quicker. Don't know if that would work well for really big stumps though.

Think it was something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectraci...20-4/202097353

Buehler445 03-14-2017 05:40 PM

Tordon if you can get it. If not 2-4D is labeled for it. You have to keep a towel saturated. I don't know how it's worked but it is labeled.

Guys have used gas. :shrug:

Bwana 03-14-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 12783203)
There is some powder I bought at the hardware store. Put it on the stump and it decays it. Results aren't immediate but it worked for me. Took about a season and then it was all out of there. Had to go back a few times to gradually remove the decayed wood though. If you put it on there more often than I did it probably works even quicker. Don't know if that would work well for really big stumps though.

Think it was something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectraci...20-4/202097353

Cool, I dug into the subject a little bit and from what I was reading, there are products to kill the things and products to decay them. I need these things dead. That looks like a great product to decay them, but I'm not sure that will kill them. :hmmm:

Chief Pote 03-14-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12783199)
So when I moved into this house 15 plus years ago the former owner had planted a couple of trees between the sidewalk and the street. Fast forward to last year and the roots had pretty much destroyed my sidewalk so I had them cut down last summer.

Now I have two big stumps that are still alive and I'm getting ready to drop $2500 to have the sidewalk replaced. I drilled a bunch of 1 inch holes in the stumps at the end of the summer and dumped something in the holes, but the beasts are still alive. I would burn the damn things, but the fire department would frown on such an activity. If I was in the country, I would blow them up with dynamite or just make a few pipe bombs to take them out, but obviously the neighbors would become restless when their windows blew out. :hmmm:

I checked into having someone come over with a stump grinder and they are WAY to pound of their services. So is their a good chemical out there to take these wooden bastards to the promised land that anyone has had success with? I hear good things about this but I honestly have no idea if this is going to take them out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Look no further...Tordon RTU will do the job. Picloram is wicked shit, it's commercial grade be careful with it.

Bwana 03-14-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12783212)
Tordon if you can get it. If not 2-4D is labeled for it. You have to keep a towel saturated. I don't know how it's worked but it is labeled.

Guys have used gas. :shrug:

I was hoping you would chime in, see my link above. I ordered two of them earlier this morning. So you think that will smoke them huh?

Bwana 03-14-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pote (Post 12783218)
Look no further...Tordon RTU will do the job. Picloram is wicked shit, it's commercial grade be careful with it.

Great news, I'll be sure to glove up for the task. How quick does the stuff work?

Jewish Rabbi 03-14-2017 05:48 PM

Clearly what you need is antifreeze.

Bwana 03-14-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 12783223)
Clearly what you need is antifreeze.

Heh, I wish I could get off that cheap. ROFL

The Pest 03-14-2017 05:51 PM

**** stump grinding. Did that myself and now I have little spots where trees are trying to grow.

Buehler445 03-14-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12783222)
Great news, I'll be sure to glove up for the task. How quick does the stuff work?

How fast it works depends on how fast its growing. It'll take few weeks this time of year.

Be the hell careful with it. It has a crazy long residual for broad leaves. I don't know what it will do to grass but it isn't good for it.

Bwana 03-14-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12783230)
**** stump grinding. Did that myself and now I have little spots where trees are trying to grow.

Well from what these guys are saying, if you drill some holes in what's left Tordon RTU should take care of it.

Buehler445 03-14-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12783220)
I was hoping you would chime in, see my link above. I ordered two of them earlier this morning. So you think that will smoke them huh?

Yeah tordon is the answer. I never know what's available to people without applicator permits anymore.

Chief Pote 03-14-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 12783234)
Well from what these guys are saying, if you drill some holes in what's left Tordon RTU should take care of it.

A fresh cut into the stump during growing season, brush the chemical on the fresh cut. Consider it dead.

Bwana 03-14-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12783232)
How fast it works depends on how fast its growing. It'll take few weeks this time of year.

Be the hell careful with it. It has a crazy long residual for broad leaves. I don't know what it will do to grass but it isn't good for it.

It would have to jump across the sidewalk to get on the main grass. Any roots that go under the sidewalk I plan to take out with my chain saw as well.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.