ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Chiefspants 12-05-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9182582)
That would be a great deal for the Royals.

Holland is a very very talented young pitcher that would immediately be the best pitcher on your staff. He's a power lefty that can show up with shutdown stuff on any given night.

Hell, the Rangers even extended him under a fairly team friendly deal through 2016 w/ a reasonable club option in 2017. That would be an excellent get for KC. I'm honestly a little puzzled why the Rangers would give him up.

Rumor is that they're on the edge of a blockbuster deal with Grienke and need to clear some room financially.

alnorth 12-05-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9182533)
In the proposed 4 way:

Royals get Holland, give up Adam and Colon
Rangers get Upton, give up Holland and Olt
Indians get Olt and Adam?, give up Cabrerra
D-Backs get Cabrerra and Colon?, give up Upton

I don't believe it. That would be a pretty big win for the Royals.

DJ's left nut 12-05-2012 12:25 PM

And playing the role of the Royals in this little drama would be the D-Backs.

Getting only an overrated Asdrubal Cabrera and Christian Colon for Justin Upton is just pathetic.

If they have a brain in their heads, they'll scuttle this deal and wait until the Hamilton dust dies down. If the Rangers don't have hammy, they'll offer Andrus in a deal for Upton.

Frankly, if that's the asking price for Justin Upton, every team in baseball should be trying to top that deal. The kid is incredibly talented.

KevB 12-05-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9182582)
That would be a great deal for the Royals.

Holland is a very very talented young pitcher that would immediately be the best pitcher on your staff. He's a power lefty that can show up with shutdown stuff on any given night.

Hell, the Rangers even extended him under a fairly team friendly deal through 2016 w/ a reasonable club option in 2017. That would be an excellent get for KC. I'm honestly a little puzzled why the Rangers would give him up.

They'd have to be pretty confident in getting Greinke I'd think. If Texas gets Upton at 3/$39 left on his deal, that frees up money that may be aligned to Hamilton that could then be spent on Greinke. So if you're Texas, would you rather have Greinke/Upton or Holland/Hamilton/Olt?

ChiefsCountry 12-05-2012 12:28 PM

Also I think Greinke personality wise would fit in fine in Dallas. Remember his girlfiriend was a Cowboys cheerleader and not to mention Dallas is Kansas City on steroids for the most part.

Mr. Laz 12-05-2012 12:31 PM

i thought Grienke was already heading somewhere?

alnorth 12-05-2012 12:32 PM

Injecting a dark cloud into this collective dream we're having where we transform Colon and a random dude into a #2/3 pitcher...

Suppose we're giving up Myers? Its not as hilariously stupid as Myers for Dickey, but I don't think I'd be as happy if it ended up being Myers going who knows where for Holland.

sedated 12-05-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9182556)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Blockbuster brewing? Story: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...shields-120412 … #Rangers #Rays #Diamondbacks #Indians

They misspelled "Royals"

DJ's left nut 12-05-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9182595)
They'd have to be pretty confident in getting Greinke I'd think. If Texas gets Upton at 3/$39 left on his deal, that frees up money that may be aligned to Hamilton that could then be spent on Greinke. So if you're Texas, would you rather have Greinke/Upton or Holland/Hamilton/Olt?

Oh, the deal makes sense from the Rangers perspective, to be sure. You just don't often see teams moving a young guy they just extended for that long.

Perhaps Harrison wasn't enough to get it done.

Like I said, the real confusion here comes from Arizona's willingness to part with Upton for such a paltry return. I can only assume they're biting on the Cabrera hype and going by his web gem clips instead of his actual ability. Cabrera is an average fielder at best that will likely be playing 2b in 2 years.

Look at Cabrera's scouting reports and trends, especially defensively, and compare them to the scouting reports and trends for Yuniesky Betancourt at the same time and you'll see some very startling similarities.

Cabrera's a slightly better version of Yuni and as he gets older and heavier (it already started last year), his rapidly diminishing range is just going to bottom out altogether. The guy's just not very good.

Chiefspants 12-05-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9182611)
Injecting a dark cloud into this collective dream we're having where we transform Colon and a random dude into a #2/3 pitcher...

Suppose we're giving up Myers? Its not as hilariously stupid as Myers for Dickey, but I don't think I'd be as happy if it ended up being Myers going who knows where for Holland.

I really, really hope it isn't Myers. :(

alnorth 12-05-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9182610)
i thought Grienke was already heading somewhere?

He's in a bidding war between Texas and the Dodgers.

Mr. Laz 12-05-2012 12:36 PM

leave it up to Al to hike a leg and piss on all of us

it's not like every Royals fan doesn't get enough bad news without anticipating it.

:(

siberian khatru 12-05-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9182611)

Well, I want to hang on to Myers so he can replace Frenchy.

But Holland is closer to that "Myers only for ..." criteria. He's not an established ace, and not quite Matt Moore, but he's much more than a prospect and he's under team control for several years.

So I'd probably lament losing Myers, but wouldn't be outraged like I would Myers for Lester or Shields.

alnorth 12-05-2012 12:41 PM

Oh wait, Holland is not a free agent until 2019. Last year the Rangers signed him to a big long-term contract that bought out a free agent year, with 2 team options for 2 more free agent years. He's under team control for potentially 6 more years, not 3.

That increases his value a bit, a Myers for Holland+someone else could be close to par.

alnorth 12-05-2012 12:44 PM

Presuming that Holland is on the table (maybe he is not, we're just speculating here), with that contract and 6 years of control, Colon wouldn't come anywhere close to doing it, unless Texas is unusually desperate to dump payroll.