ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Question about Thai Food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274417)

InChiefsHeaven 07-10-2013 06:08 AM

My wife makes Thai peanut chicken wraps, and the heat of course varies with how much she puts in them...but DAAAAAMN I live those things.

Gonzo 07-10-2013 06:09 AM

There's a decent Thai joint in west Omaha that does the pepper scale. Like, 5 red peppers and you're in mortal danger. I was there a couple weeks ago, ordered some red curry chicken dish... Can't exactly recall what it was. Anywho, it was a 3 on the pepper scale and I had the drizzling burn-shits for two days.
It was decent but just not my cup of tea.
There's a Mongolian BBQ joint right next to it where you pick your raw ingredients, hand them to the cook and he makes it in front of you. You add your own sauces, etc.
guaranteed to give you the runs in 6 hours or less or your money back.

houstonwhodat 07-10-2013 06:17 AM

Next time tell them you want massive amounts of Ghost Peppers for flavoring.

InChiefsHeaven 07-10-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9802668)
There's a decent Thai joint in west Omaha that does the pepper scale. Like, 5 red peppers and you're in mortal danger. I was there a couple weeks ago, ordered some red curry chicken dish... Can't exactly recall what it was. Anywho, it was a 3 on the pepper scale and I had the drizzling burn-shits for two days.
It was decent but just not my cup of tea.
There's a Mongolian BBQ joint right next to it where you pick your raw ingredients, hand them to the cook and he makes it in front of you. You add your own sauces, etc.
guaranteed to give you the runs in 6 hours or less or your money back.

Is that the Thai Pepper on like 120th and Q?

Mr. Flopnuts 07-10-2013 06:43 AM

I eat Phad Thai almost exclusively. One of my favorite foods on Earth. **** the star system. Tell them you want it THAI spicy and they'll know what the **** you're talking about, and it will be perfect. I like my Thai hotter than my women, so I'm picking up what you're laying down. If the place is authentic Thai, trust me, just say you want it Thai spicy.

Mr. Flopnuts 07-10-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9802618)
When you order say "I want it Thai spicy"

/thread

Oops. Q on my part. Seriously though, it's one of my favorite foods on Earth and I eat the **** out of it. Found a whole in the wall down here in Missurah that does it well. Just order it Thai spicy.

Stanley Nickels 07-10-2013 06:44 AM

NewChief has it. From what I've been told, there are completely different scales for Thai and non-Thai people. non-Thai hot is Thai mild-to-medium. Thai hot is something of unsearing pain.

DaKCMan AP 07-10-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 9802701)
NewChief has it. From what I've been told, there are completely different scales for Thai and non-Thai people. non-Thai hot is Thai mild-to-medium. Thai hot is something of unsearing pain.

If you're weak. Don't get me wrong, Thai Hot is spicy... but that's how I like it.

DaKCMan AP.. Thai Hot King and Conquerer

tooge 07-10-2013 07:06 AM

I eat Thai all the time and I've never heard of ordering it on a scale of 1-10. I just tell them I like it pretty spicy, they bring it, and if it isn't hot enough (rare), I add some siracha to it.

blaise 07-10-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9802719)
I eat Thai all the time and I've never heard of ordering it on a scale of 1-10. I just tell them I like it pretty spicy, they bring it, and if it isn't hot enough (rare), I add some siracha to it.

The one near me doesn't say anything about 1-10 unless I say spicy/not spicy. My wife doesn't like spicy at all, so I tell them not spicy and they'll say "1-10, how spicy?" I don't know how scientific it is or anything, though.

I remember one Chinese restaurant I used to go to, when you ordered a dish marked as "spicy" the guy would go, "You want Hot. Hot Hot? Or Hot Hot Hot?"

Bearcat 07-10-2013 07:35 AM

Thai House in SKC will bring out a tray of spices, which I think is the best method of dealing with that issue. Another place in the Northland, Tasty Thai, has told me they do Thai Hot, Thai Hot *2, *3, and 'Nuke', but I went up that scale and wasn't impressed at all, even after telling them 'not white-guy hot, but Thai hot'. But, they have Pad Thai Tuesdays, which comes with an extra serving for $1, so I take that home and put some Blazzin or Near Death Sauce in it.

Carlota69 07-10-2013 07:38 AM

Sounds like you need to find another thai restaurant.

Try drunken noodles, aka pad kee mow. Yummers. Thai basil also has heat. I usually order my dishes around a 7, but there is this one spot that does 1-5 level and I can barely handle their 2.5.

Find another Thai restaurant.

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 07:45 AM

you are going to the wrong thai spot & pad thai is not really the right plate for spicy -- order something like beef/red curry or spicy ________ and you will get the heet.

really tho, you need to find the right place to get the right food.

ptlyon 07-10-2013 07:54 AM

HonestChiefsFan disapproves of this thread

tooge 07-10-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9802747)
Thai House in SKC will bring out a tray of spices, which I think is the best method of dealing with that issue. Another place in the Northland, Tasty Thai, has told me they do Thai Hot, Thai Hot *2, *3, and 'Nuke', but I went up that scale and wasn't impressed at all, even after telling them 'not white-guy hot, but Thai hot'. But, they have Pad Thai Tuesdays, which comes with an extra serving for $1, so I take that home and put some Blazzin or Near Death Sauce in it.

that's where I go. I just ate there yesterday. I usually get the pad thai dish that is served in the giant egg crepe, and then a second order for $1 for my wife. I get it "hot", and it's about a 7 out of 10 for me, and I love spicy food. I sometimes have to add a few squirt lines of siracha still, but Tasty Thai is good stuff.