ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Greatest needs for the Chiefs in the draft... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269320)

ChiefMojo 01-25-2013 06:47 PM

Greatest needs for the Chiefs in the draft...

What would you guys say is the main needs and possible order of drafting for positions in this upcoming draft for KC?

QB, S, CB, ILB, WR, DE, etc. What else could be position of needs and where at in the draft do you see them coming?

htismaqe 01-25-2013 06:48 PM

QB, CB, S, DE, ILB

ChiefMojo 01-25-2013 06:53 PM

I have so far QB and CB at the top. Those are two positions that drafting at the top will yield the best results it seems.

Here is a good article I found on renowned scout Dan Shonka's page (written by Joe Landers) about when to look for positions in the draft.

http://www.ourlads.com/dayone/

RunKC 01-25-2013 06:54 PM

QB, CB, DE, ILB, LG

KCrockaholic 01-25-2013 07:01 PM

Why did that Jacob guy on twitter say Left Tackle was the #2 need?

Whatever..

Anyways, it goes QB, CB, WR, DE, ILB, then some O-line depth as well as safety depth.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-25-2013 07:01 PM

QB
QB
QB

1ChiefsDan 01-25-2013 07:02 PM

Well, at least this dude got #1 right.

Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
#Chiefs Positions of Need 7. Number 2 Corner 8. Inside Linebacker 9. Safety 10. Backup QB 11. Project QB 12. Tight End 13. Depth
Expand
3h Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71
#Chiefs Positions of Need 1. Quarterback 2. Left Tackle 3. Center 4. Left Guard 5. Burner Wide Receiver to Stretch Field 6. Slot WR
Expand

htismaqe 01-25-2013 07:04 PM

Let's just say that Albert is leaving or his back is in a bad way. So let's assume LT is indeed a #2 need.

CENTER at #3? JFC We just drafted a center!

KCrockaholic 01-25-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9351372)
I have so far QB and CB at the top. Those are two positions that drafting at the top will yield the best results it seems.

Here is a good article I found on renowned scout Dan Shonka's page (written by Joe Landers) about when to look for positions in the draft.

http://www.ourlads.com/dayone/

Shonka is a great guy. Besides that look how easy it is to find OL in UDFA according to that chart.

ChiefMojo 01-25-2013 07:05 PM

Right now I'm leaning QB, CB, S, DE, ILB, WR, OG

I don't see a need for a OT unless we let Albert walk.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-25-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9351404)
Let's just say that Albert is leaving or his back is in a bad way. So let's assume LT is indeed a #2 need.

My top 5 needs

LT
LG
C
RG
RT

KCrockaholic 01-25-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9351404)

Well if we can assume Albert's back is serious, then we can assume Hudson is in horrible shape too I guess... That's his line of thinking anyways.

Jamie 01-25-2013 07:09 PM

QB, offensive weapons, CB, DL, ILB, S, interior O-line depth

1ChiefsDan 01-25-2013 07:11 PM

I guess Nick Jacobs is some kind of sports guy in KC?

KCrockaholic 01-25-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am The Walrus (Post 9351433)
I guess Nick Jacobs is some kind of sports guy in KC?

IDK, but he's alright. Doesn't say or do anything that is super interesting or that a lot of other people don't already know or think. A tad overrated, but I don't hate on him.

RustShack 01-25-2013 07:35 PM

I was gonna tweet @jabobs earlier.. But then I just deleted what I started saying because he's just beyond stupid.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-25-2013 07:37 PM

Aren't you the kid that thought Jantz was a Heisman candidate?

HotCarl 01-25-2013 07:39 PM

QB, G, C, WR, TE, DT, DE, MLB, CB2, S, K

hometeam 01-25-2013 07:39 PM

QB, CB, ILB, DE, S in that order

htismaqe 01-25-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotCarl (Post 9351485)
QB, G, C, WR, TE, DT, DE, MLB, CB2, S, K

Did you forget that we already have a center?

FlaChief58 01-25-2013 07:44 PM

QB, WR, QB, CB, LB

Saccopoo 01-25-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9351486)
QB, CB, ILB, DE, S in that order

This.

Hootie 01-25-2013 07:49 PM

QB
HUGE GAP
PLAYMAKER
HUGE GAP
DB

BPA
BPA
BPA

RUSH 01-25-2013 07:50 PM

QB, DE, DE, CB, WR, S, ILB

I don't think Dorsey or Jackson will be back and there is NOTHING behind them. Bailey and Pitoitua? Dreadful.

RunKC 01-25-2013 07:53 PM

Nick Jacobs isn't that bad. He's been pro QB with the first pick all the way from what I've seen.

mcaj22 01-25-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSH (Post 9351507)
QB, DE, DE, CB, WR, S, ILB

I don't think Dorsey or Jackson will be back and there is NOTHING behind them. Bailey and Pitoitua? Dreadful.

MLBer is worse

under contract is Derrick Johnson then Cory Greenwood and Leon Williams maybe

that is not going to get it done lol

the D-line at least has Dontari Poe even though we have to wait until year 7 to see his development since hes green as grass and rawer than a fresh catch of prawns off the coast of the antarctic

HolyHat 01-25-2013 08:13 PM

I think our #2 CB will be addressed in free agency. Will probably draft 1 or 2 more in the later rounds with our extra picks from the Cowboys.

KCrockaholic 01-25-2013 08:29 PM

Personally I would like to address CB2 in the 2nd round if Rhodes is there.

But this is an exceptionally deep WR class IMO. I see a ton of talent in rounds 2-3-4. And a couple of those guys will end up performing like 1st rounders. Just a lot to work with, so I'm hoping we take at least one WR, maybe two.

I have a thing for Austin, Patton as slot guys, and Justin Hunter as a legit #2 guy that could turn into a #1 guy with time.

ChiefMojo 01-25-2013 08:36 PM

We could go either #2 CB or ILB in the FA market but then again this is a very good CB class so I would assume we are likely to take one in the draft. Personally if Desmond Trufant (Washington) or Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) are available with the #34 pick then I say take one of them.

LB in this draft is actually quite weak outside of 3-4 OLB (pass rushers). So again it wouldn't surprise me if we hit the FA market for the ILB spot. If we do take a ILB, my personal fav is A.J. Klein (Iowa State) and he could probably be had in the 4th-5th round area.

The only reason I listed WR as a option has to do with the uncertainty of Bowe but also more so due to the new change in offensive system (WCO). The WR's we will need are the type that can take a drag, hitch, slant, out, etc. from minimal distance for big YAC. Sure you need your possession guys and that is where Bowe/Baldwin fit in but are we going to be depending on McCluster/Wiley to be our YAC guys? I still don't know what the future holds for Breaston either?

As for my S pick I would prefer Johnathan Cyprien (FIU) or Matt Elam (Florida). I think either could be had from the 3rd-4th round area.

HolyHat 01-25-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9351573)
As for my S pick I would prefer Johnathan Cyprien (FIU) or Matt Elam (Florida). I think either could be had from the 3rd-4th round area.

I really like Elam out of Florida too. I would love to see that guy here.

whoman69 01-25-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9351376)
QB, CB, DE, ILB, LG

We've taken a guard most of the last drafts including last year.

ChiefMojo 01-25-2013 08:50 PM

True but we are still technically adding depth along the OL. One of the main knocks against Pioli (outside QB) was the lack of quality depth we had along the lines. We started to address it some this past draft but there is still more to be had there. Basically need to replace the depth lost by the retirement of Lilja.

RyFo18 01-25-2013 09:34 PM

Biggest need is to find guys that are part of the right 53, amirite?

AussieChiefsFan 01-25-2013 09:39 PM

QB
CB
DE

Nickel D 01-25-2013 09:50 PM

OT
QB
WR
G
C
CB
OT

Rambozo 01-25-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 9351395)
Why did that Jacob guy on twitter say Left Tackle was the #2 need?

Whatever..

Anyways, it goes QB, CB, WR, DE, ILB, then some O-line depth as well as safety depth.

Because Stephens is our only LT under contract?

KCFaninSEA 01-25-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 9351437)
QB, QB, CB, ILB.

I don't really see WR as a big need if we get D bowe signed back up. Our lack of production at WR was large in part due to our abysmal QB play. I think Breaston will be back in the fold now, and I still hold out some hope for Baldwin.

I gotta disagree. Baldwin and Breaston are worse at their position than Arenas is at CB. I think a stud WR helps the new QB out immensely. This offense needs weapons to open it up for Bowe and JC, assuming DB stays. If he doesn't stay, it is a no brainer but even if he does I would really like to see Hopkins from Clemson wearing red. I am still holding out hope on Moeaki

My list. QB, WR, CB, S, DE

keg in kc 01-25-2013 10:23 PM

QB, QB, QB, CB, S, ILB, WR.

jspchief 01-25-2013 10:23 PM

Amazing that last year we had almost no "needs" and this year we suddenly have a laundry list. That's what happens when you use high picks on gadget players like McCluster and depth like Stephenson.

Wonder if Menzie will amount to anything? Nice that we're going to start paying the price for Pioli's terrible drafts.

ForeverChiefs58 01-25-2013 10:54 PM

1st rd-QB-Greatest need of course

Chiefs should then draft the best CB/S/ILB/DE available, as any of these holes could be argued as a bigger need from the other.

I wouldn't include a position where a hole could be filled by resigning the starter that plays at a higher level. This team has enough holes, and shouldn't add more draft needs by letting our already good starters walk.

ForeverChiefs58 01-25-2013 10:58 PM

If the chiefs FO is just as inept as the last, and can't get Albert and Bowe signed, then OT and WR obviously would become bigger priorities

RealSNR 01-25-2013 11:10 PM

QB and CB. Period. In that order.

We REALLY need a S, WR, and somebody who doesn't suck on the DL. Get them whenever and wherever you can find them.

Everything else, whatever. I'm just fine with not drafting a LG. I mean, we did that last year and now we're going back to the draft because that guy is unproven? Then what's the point of drafting that position in the first ****ing place?

Same kind of goes for ILB. In my mock in Draft Planet I have a guy that I hope we draft, but I know Reid doesn't always go for LBs. Our defense is not going to live or die just because we have Brandon Siler starting for us.

Other than that, just draft good players, please. Don't care what position they are. But if you can, stay away from the tackles.

NJChiefsFan 01-25-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9351851)
QB and CB. Period. In that order.

We REALLY need a S, WR, and somebody who doesn't suck on the DL. Get them whenever and wherever you can find them.

Very well said. I agree. I also think there is a very good chance we could walk away with both after the 34th pick in the draft. Especially is NE somehow doesn't take a DB.

RealSNR 01-25-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9351874)
Very well said. I agree. I also think there is a very good chance we could walk away with both after the 34th pick in the draft. Especially is NE somehow doesn't take a DB.

With this draft's incredibly insane depth at CB and S, we're going to find some pretty good starters going into the 2nd, 3rd, and possibly even 4th rounds.

If we found a franchise QB with the first pick but everything else busted, this would be possibly the best Chiefs draft in franchise history. The awesome part is the deep parts of this draft correspond quite well to our positions of need.

This year has the potential to make 2008 look like a ****ing Vermeil draft.

NJChiefsFan 01-25-2013 11:35 PM

Yes, and as our good friend Rambob fails to understand, getting a QB will fix other positions on its own. Not that it will make you a SB team, work obviously needs to be done elsewhere. But getting a real QB makes others not have to play perfectly. You don't need the Oline to be an A every game, or for Bowe/Charles to drag the QB down the field. Can you imagine if the QB actually picked up the defense, for even TWO games a year?!

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-25-2013 11:39 PM

1) QB
2) WR
3) CB (2 and 3 are interchangeable)
4) S
5) ILB
6) TE
7) DE (Yes, sadly)
8)OLB (We need three pass rushers; we have two
9) C (Hudson is still a big ?)
10) RB

God **** this team has so many ****ing holes. Mother**** you, Pioli.

NJChiefsFan 01-25-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9351898)
1) QB
2) WR
3) CB (2 and 3 are interchangeable)
4) S
5) ILB
6) TE
7) DE (Yes, sadly)
8)OLB (We need three pass rushers; we have two
9) C (Hudson is still a big ?)
10) RB

God **** this team has so many ****ing holes. Mother**** you, *****.

Do you say this assuming Bowe is gone, or would that actually make WR the clear 2 if we didn't resign him?

el borracho 01-25-2013 11:47 PM

QB
WR
CB
TE

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-25-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9351907)
Do you say this assuming Bowe is gone, or would that actually make WR the clear 2 if we didn't resign him?

I made that list assuming Bowe would be signed. Jon Baldwin is ****ing worthless and Breaston may be a Section 8. It's probably not a coincidence that the teams left standing have multiple legitimate receiving threats. Who do the Chiefs have other than Bowe?

BossChief 01-25-2013 11:50 PM

I don't really think receiver is a top need, but I could be wrong. Bowe and Breaston are legit starters in this league and guys like Baldwin, Wylie and McCluster are still developing. With an upgrade from Cassel and Quinn to Geno, it's possible that we have enough talent there to make some noise.

We need a starting inside backer and corner, though and at least one defensive line spot should be open...as we jettison two top five picks from the DL rotation.

I'd make an easy argument that safety needs upgraded more than receiver, too.

QB
CB
S
ILB
DE

Those are my top 5, anyway.

Wilson8 01-25-2013 11:59 PM

Player Needs – Why/Who to replace and using Joe Landers charts to determine the best chance of success with 2013 draft.

Rank ---POS---- Player(s) to Replace---------------How
1. QB – Matt Cassel/Brady Quinn – 1st rd and 6th rd draft – 36% and 10%
1st - (Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Michael Glennon)
6th - (Matt Scott, Brad Sorenson, Jordan Rodgers)

2. CB - Stanford Routt/Travis Daniels/Neiko Thorpe – 2nd rd draft – 21%
(Desmond Trufant, Johnathan Banks, Jordan Poyer, Logan Ryan, Jamar Taylor, David Amerson)

3. ILB – Jovan Belcher/Brandon Siler – 3rd rd draft – 17%
3rd – (Jon Bostic, Nico Johnson, Kiko Alonso)

4. C/G – Ryan Lilja/Russ Hochstein/Bryan Mattison/Rich Ranglin – 3rd rd comp draft - 13%
3rd comp – (Brian Winters, Alvin Bailey, Khaled Holmes, Brian Schwenke, David Quessenberry, and Terron Armstead)

5. DE – Glenn Dorsey/Ropati Pitoitua/Shaun Smith/Tyson Jackson ($$$) – 4th rd draft – 11%
4th – (William Gholston, Devin Taylor, Joe Kruger, Jordan Hill, Bennie Logan, and Everett Dawkins)

6. S – General Upgrade Needed – free agent
Free Agent (Jairus Byrd, William Moore, Louis Delmas, Pat Chung, and LaRon Landry)

7. TE – Kevin Boss/Jake O’Connell/Martin Rucker – 5th rd draft – 11% or free agent
5th – (Vance McDonald, Gavin Escobar, Michael Williams, and Nick Kasa)
Free Agents - (Jared Cook, Fred Davis, Dustin Keller)

8. WR – Dwayne Bowe – Re-sign – free agent if unable to sign Bowe.
Free Agents (Greg Jennings, Wes Welker, Mike Wallace, and Brian Hartline)

9. OT – Brandon Albert – Re-sign – free agent if unable to sign Albert.
Free Agents ( Andre Smith, Ryan Clady, Gosder Cherilus, Jake Long, and Phil Loadholt)

10. RB – Peyton Hillis – Replaced by Shaun Draughn, Cyrus Gray, and Dexter McCluster

11. P – Dustin Colquitt – re-sign

mcaj22 01-26-2013 12:20 AM

i will stab my eyes out if we sign Pat Chung

Imon Yourside 01-26-2013 12:24 AM

QB, CB, WR, ILB

ForeverChiefs58 01-26-2013 12:46 AM

Safety is a way bigger need then some might realize. We haven't had our two starters at safety actually be able to complete a whole year together since being drafted. Injury is always high with the position.

#2 CB is a huge need of course, and our piss poor pass D not being able to count on safety help can make it look even worse. Look back even when we had a good #2 CB, we were still abused in the passing game because of poor safety help from gems like Jon McGraw and Mike Brown.

ChiefMojo 01-26-2013 07:24 AM

Problem is we don't know if Breaston is in the future plans or not? It would still be nice to get another WR in general. Someone with speed that can make plenty of YAC after the catch. I would rate WR behind #2 CB but from a play making perspective it isn't that far in difference. Either way there would be some tremendous CB or WR prospects at pick #34. I'm still leaning towards CB with the 2nd round pick.

The thing about S is that you can generally find top flight players at that position in rounds 3-5.

Rausch 01-26-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9351923)
I don't really think receiver is a top need, but I could be wrong. Bowe and Breaston are legit starters in this league and guys like Baldwin, Wylie and McCluster are still developing. With an upgrade from Cassel and Quinn to Geno, it's possible that we have enough talent there to make some noise.

WR is one of the few needs we could fill in free agency.

Sign one and use that draft pick somewhere else...

CoMoChief 01-26-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9351344)
What would you guys say is the main needs and possible order of drafting for positions in this upcoming draft for KC?

QB, S, CB, ILB, WR, DE, etc. What else could be position of needs and where at in the draft do you see them coming?

OL depth OLB depth

really there isn't a position we can look away at and say we're fine.

ILChief 01-26-2013 08:30 AM

QB

None of the rest matters until we get one

ForeverChiefs58 01-26-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9352141)
Problem is we don't know if Breaston is in the future plans or not? It would still be nice to get another WR in general. Someone with speed that can make plenty of YAC after the catch. I would rate WR behind #2 CB but from a play making perspective it isn't that far in difference. Either way there would be some tremendous CB or WR prospects at pick #34. I'm still leaning towards CB with the 2nd round pick.

The thing about S is that you can generally find top flight players at that position in rounds 3-5.

If they sign Bowe he is #1. We don't really know what Baldwin is yet. He could very well be a #2. The Chiefs could use a burner at WR. Is our #2 and #3 already be on the roster?

Breaston, Wylie, McCluster, Newsome, Hemingway, and Bellamy will all be trying for new looks with a new QB.

The Chiefs and top flight S help? lol

htismaqe 01-26-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9352196)
QB

None of the rest matters until we get one

True.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9352213)
True.

But, but, but we must have teh most Pro Bowlers at every other position first!!!! Oh wait...

Thig Lyfe 01-26-2013 08:57 AM

Geno Smith

CoMoChief 01-26-2013 09:10 AM

Dwayne Bowe
Greg Jennings
Steve Breaston
Jon Baldwin
Da'Rick Rogers

JIMP

Dave Lane 01-26-2013 09:13 AM

QB
QB
QB
CB
WR
S
ILB

RealSNR 01-26-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9352185)
OL depth OLB depth

really there isn't a position we can look away at and say we're fine.

We needed offensive line depth last year and drafted it. But we're not confident in unproven 2nd and 3rd round players, so in order to fix that we draft 2nd and 3rd round players.

Makes no ****ing sense to me. We're fine at offensive line. If we want some new players, sign some veterans.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9352273)
We needed offensive line depth last year and drafted it. But we're not confident in unproven 2nd and 3rd round players, so in order to fix that we draft 2nd and 3rd round players.

Makes no ****ing sense to me. We're fine at offensive line. If we want some new players, sign some veterans.

People are soooooo ****ing stupid it makes my brain hurt. Just drafted a guy to play LG, backup LT last year, and a starting C the year before. Early Needs LG, backup LT, C ROFL

CoMoChief 01-26-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9352273)

You must have forgotten that Lilja retired last season and Jeff Allen sucks and Hudson is coming off of a major injury.

Asamoah isn't great either but he's not bad. But Allen doesn't deserve to start.

Who backs up at center?

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 09:33 AM

So, we give up on a guy after one season....awesome

CoMoChief 01-26-2013 09:33 AM

Need DL depth too...Dorsey and Jackson will not be here next season.

CoMoChief 01-26-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9352326)
So, we give up on a guy after one season....awesome

I guess you don't want to put the best possible Oline on the field.

htismaqe 01-26-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9352332)
I guess you don't want to put the best possible Oline on the field.

That's just ****ing stupid.

Allen is a strong developmental prospect and was a very good LT in college.

Giving up on him now, in favor of drafting another project, is beyond silly.

mcaj22 01-26-2013 10:06 AM

Allen sucks

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-26-2013 11:50 AM

Don't sign FA WRs. The good ones never get away, and the ones who do almost always have something wrong with them, whether it's injury (Jennings) attitude (T.O., Moss) or drugs (Carter). It's ultra-high risk, moderate reward.

RealSNR 01-26-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9352322)
You must have forgotten that Lilja retired last season and Jeff Allen sucks and Hudson is coming off of a major injury.

Asamoah isn't great either but he's not bad. But Allen doesn't deserve to start.

Who backs up at center?

"Jeff Allen sucks. Draft Jeff Allen."

That's what you sound like.

Sorter 01-26-2013 11:57 AM

QB, CB, DE (who can rush the passer from 3-tech in subs and 4/5-tech from base fronts), WR, S, ILB who can play in subs(cover).

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9352384)
Allen sucks

Yeah, because players Neeeeever get better with experience

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9352543)
QB, CB, DE (who can rush the passer from 3-tech in subs and 4/5-tech from base fronts), WR, S, ILB who can play in subs(cover).

I'd disagree with DE but other than that...yeah.

Sorter 01-26-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9352556)
I'd disagree with DE but other than that...yeah.

I'm pretty disheartened with all of our DEs ability to provide a pass rush.

Bailey might improve and I hope he does. Other than that, for us to 1-gap sucessfully, you have to have at least 1 DE who can get upfield. That could be Poe if the new regime decides to move him to DE and slide Powe at NT.

O.city 01-26-2013 01:03 PM

Floyd from Florida or if for some reason he fell Richardson from mu

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 01:09 PM

Baldwin should give some of his money back for underperforming.