ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs 2018 Free Agents (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313128)

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13357945)
I wanted me some big beefeaters at G but they aren't there.

Andrew Norwell would be a phenomenal addition. 2017 All Pro, knows the system, played for Rivera.

I'd take a look at Quinton Spain, 27 years old, LG for the Titans. He wouldn't be a huge an upgrade as Norwell but would definitely be far better than anyone currently on the Chiefs roster.

Most of the other options are old or injury prone (Jack Mewhort, for one).

Toad 01-13-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13357972)
The Chiefs picked up his 5th year option which is guaranteed for injury.

He ended the 2017 season on IR so if they cut him now, they'd owe his full salary.

If he's available to participate in Training Camp, he can be cut without any issues, unless, once again, he's injured and if so, his salary is guaranteed.

So TC is the earliest he can be cut if healthy? Who has the call to determine he is cleared or not?

BryanBusby 01-13-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13357972)
The Chiefs picked up his 5th year option which is guaranteed for injury.

He ended the 2017 season on IR so if they cut him now, they'd owe his full salary.

If he's available to participate in Training Camp, he can be cut without any issues, unless, once again, he's injured and if so, his salary is guaranteed.

He's eligible for the chopping block the moment he can pass a physical.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-13-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13357979)
Andrew Norwell would be a phenomenal addition. 2017 All Pro, knows the system, played for Rivera.

I'd take a look at Quinton Spain, 27 years old, LG for the Titans. He wouldn't be a huge an upgrade as Norwell but would definitely be far better than anyone currently on the Chiefs roster.

Most of the other options are old or injury prone (Jack Mewhort, for one).

When I look at the offense, that guard spot is my top priority. I want Veach to make it a top priority to give Patrick a good line every single year. The weapons are there, and I personally believe he will always make the receivers look a little better than they are.

I'd be psyched about Norwell.

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13358001)
He's eligible for the chopping block the moment he can pass a physical.

Right, but they can't cut him now or if he's injured heading into the year.

TRR 01-13-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13358013)
When I look at the offense, that guard spot is my top priority. I want Veach to make it a top priority to give Patrick a good line every single year. The weapons are there, and I personally believe he will always make the receivers look a little better than they are.

I'd be psyched about Norwell.

I would be fine re-signing Fulton and moving Morse to LG. I have serious doubts about Morse holding up at Center for 16 games. He’s more natural at Guard.

To your point thought, LG has to get an upgrade this offseason.

RunKC 01-13-2018 02:15 PM

We aren’t getting Norwell guys come on. The guy is going to get a $60 million deal averaging $12 million a year.

Now Quinton Spain? That’s more likely.

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13358013)
When I look at the offense, that guard spot is my top priority.

It's been a priority during Reid's tenure.

Jeff Allen, Donald Stephenson, Zach Fulton, Ben Grubbs, Jah Reid, Parker Ehinger, Bryan Witzmann and probably others I can't even remember haven't been able to produce at an even average level for the position.

That's why, IMO, Veach should target Andrew Norwell, which would stabilize the offensive line for at least 3 more seasons, if not more.

He's their best possible addition in Free Agency, IMO, because they're not paying for a Top Tier CB or OLBer.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-13-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13358041)
We aren’t getting Norwell guys come on. The guy is going to get a $60 million deal averaging $12 million a year.

TRR probably made the most logical point of just moving Morse to guard and retaining Fulton, which allows you to keep continuity. Morse's athleticism has always made him a good fit at guard, but until now the opportunity to make the switch hadn't really presented itself. I think he'd be a great puller and trapper.

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13358041)

Why not?

The Chiefs can give him a nice signing bonus and backload his contract. Houston will be coming off the books very soon, so it would be very doable.

I just think they need to stop ****ing around with late rounders, trades and UDFA's and get a mother****er that's going to be a badass for 4 years.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-13-2018 02:20 PM

Offensive line lately has been seemingly the best position to spend big on in FA. Oakland turned their line into a top 3 unit using basically only FA, although they took a step back as a unit this year.

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13358045)
TRR probably made the most logical point of just moving Morse to guard and retaining Fulton, which allows you to keep continuity. Morse's athleticism has always made him a good fit at guard, but until now the opportunity to make the switch hadn't really presented itself. I think he'd be a great puller and trapper.

Morse can't stay healthy and while he'd be very good in the passing game, he's just not the bulldozer type in the ground game.

Plus, people (me included) have been saying since he was drafted in 2015, that he'd be a guard.

So far, no go.

Plus, I don't trust him to be a 16 game starter, let alone, 19 game starter.

DaneMcCloud 01-13-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13358048)
Offensive line lately has been seemingly the best position to spend big on in FA. Oakland turned their line into a top 3 unit using basically only FA, although they took a step back as a unit this year.

That's because they signed a few old guys.

Spain and Nowell are 27 and 26, respectively.

RunKC 01-13-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13358046)
Why not?

The Chiefs can give him a nice signing bonus and backload his contract. Houston will be coming off the books very soon, so it would be very doable.

I just think they need to stop ****ing around with late rounders, trades and UDFA's and get a mother****er that's going to be a badass for 4 years.

Houston off the books soon? Ugh **** me man we have zero pass rush.

We need to do everything possible to get at least 1 pass rusher this offseason. Dorsey failed us there big time.

Easy 6 01-13-2018 02:28 PM

Ultimately couldnt care less whether its a draftee or a vet, but guard absolutely needs an upgrade because I am not convinced that Morse is a 16 game starter at any spot along the line... its always something with him at center, why would it be any different at guard?

But he is an easy, obvious choice to back up Fulton

They could go get Norwell, or Spain, or whoever and that'd be fine... a known quantity who can be relied on to step right in

I'd also be fine using a 3rd, or yes even one of our two presumed 2nds, to upgrade there... giving us a young stud on the cheap

edit* top sentence looks like I totally plagiarized Dane, but that isnt the case, didnt even see his post until about 30 seconds ago... we apparently just share the same view on Morse