ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I think it's gonna be Barkley. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266588)

Chris Meck 11-13-2012 01:05 PM

I think it's gonna be Barkley.

I think that Smith has more obvious physical ability, but there are real questions about offensive system he's in and his performance against real competition.

Barkley's a good bet to at least be a solid NFL QB. Intangibles are all there, and he's run a pro style offense for 4 years.

I think people are making too big of a deal about his arm being weak; it's not weak, it's just not elite. He's super accurate, though.

hometeam 11-13-2012 01:07 PM

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...bandDUmber.gif

Kylo Ren 11-13-2012 01:10 PM

Charles Barkley?

BlackHelicopters 11-13-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Wayne (Post 9115554)
Charles Barkley?

Mobility could be an issue.

BoneKrusher 11-13-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Charles Barkley?

Mark Sanchez 2

Reerun_KC 11-13-2012 01:16 PM

okay sounds good

DaKCMan AP 11-13-2012 01:16 PM

hey gang,

suds79 11-13-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9115561)
Mobility could be an issue.

Meh I think mobility is a plus but certainly still not a requirement.

Look at Eli Manning or Tom Brady.

Don't get me wrong. If a guy has some? Great. But it's not imperative.

saphojunkie 11-13-2012 01:16 PM

****. That.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:17 PM

I agree.

I think Barkley will be a fine QB. Everytime CP wants to rip Barkley, i think back to the year Ryan was drafted. A lot of people were against drafting him for the same reasons they are against drafting Barkley.

Personally, I prefer Wilson, but i think Barkley is safer and Smith has the most talent.

DaKCMan AP 11-13-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9115573)
Meh I think mobility is a plus but certainly still not a requirement.

Look at Eli Manning or Tom Brady.

Don't get me wrong. If a guy has some? Great. But it's not imperative.

Mobility & scrambling ability are not one in the same.

Chiefnj2 11-13-2012 01:20 PM

Right now my preference would be:

1. Wilson
2. Smith
3. Barkley

Steron 11-13-2012 01:20 PM

I don't know how to feel about Barkley. USC QBs scare the shit out of me. The last few have been awful pros. Sanchez, Leinart, Booty. Palmer has been solid and turned in a few good seasons.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 9115596)
I don't know how to feel about Barkley. USC QBs scare the shit out of me. The last few have been awful pros. Sanchez, Leinart, Booty. Palmer has been solid and turned in a few good seasons.

Different people. Different coaches. Different teams.

I know what you mean, but the guy has some good qualities. Most importantly, he seems mature.

Whatever QB we draft, has to be mentally tough.

That's why i like Wilson.

He needs to respond in the face of adversity and not crack under the pressure of leading a bad team.

He will inherit a seemingly bad team with little offensive weapons and a rabid fan base that is desperate for results.

He will have to come in and fix an offense that is the worst the NFL as seen since 1929.

That's a tall order, and it will require one tough SOB

BoneKrusher 11-13-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 9115596)

this.

suds79 11-13-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9115589)
Mobility & scrambling ability are not one in the same.

Agree. Definitely a difference.

But I'd say Tom Brady is just about as immobile as it gets. He still manages.

I just don't think mobility will be an issue for Barkley.

Chiefnj2 11-13-2012 01:28 PM

Smith and Wilson are better under pressure than Barkley.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9115618)

I dont think so either. All three are young with fresh legs and can move around in the pocket. Though i think Smith really needs to work on his pocket awareness.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9115620)
Smith and Wilson are better under pressure than Barkley.

I disagree.

I think production under pressure is Smith's biggest concern.

Hoover 11-13-2012 01:29 PM

If Geno is there we will draft him.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9115625)
If Geno is there we will draft him.

Don't be so sure. We won't know till the Senior Bowl.

Buckweath 11-13-2012 01:30 PM

1. Geno
2. Barkley
3. Wilson

alnorth 11-13-2012 01:31 PM

Barkley is surrounded by much better talent than Geno, and Geno is still out-performing Barkley. If Geno's gone, fine but if he's there, he's the easy pick over Barkley.

Chiefnj2 11-13-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9115624)
I disagree.

I think production under pressure is Smith's biggest concern.

Watch the Stanford clips and even Syracuse this year. Barkley's system protects him a lot. Against Syracuse I'd say 70% of his passes were 2 yards down field or less. He makes some boneheaded plays under pressure.

DaKCMan AP 11-13-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9115629)
Don't be so sure. We won't know till the Senior Bowl.

I doubt Smith plays in the senior bowl if he's projected to be a first round pick.

MIAdragon 11-13-2012 01:32 PM

http://drawception.com/pub/panels/20...KHNBhaA8-2.png

Chris Meck 11-13-2012 01:32 PM

I'd be okay with any of the three, but I think that for a franchise that hasn't taken a QB in round 1 for 30 years Barkley is the best bet.

I think his mobility is fine. He's not a statue. I think his arm strength is fine, but I really like his accuracy, decision making, and reputation as a high intangibles guy. Little chance of him 'Leafing out'. I think Matt Ryan is a good comparison.

Don't tell me you wouldn't take Matt Ryan.

suds79 11-13-2012 01:33 PM

This is a weird year for QBs for me. As long as the Chiefs get one of the 3, I'll be happy. But I feel like they're all so different.

Matt Barkley - Safest bet IMO. Seems like your standard pure pocket NFL passer. Average NFL arm. Not bad. But average.
(but has Marqise Lee to throw to)

Tyler Wilson - Tough. I think possibly strongest arm.
(Who's Tyler throwing to?)

Geno Smith - Overall highest upside skill set wise.
(but has Tavon Austin to throw to)

take your pick.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9115634)
Barkley is surrounded by much better talent than Geno, and Geno is still out-performing Barkley. If Geno's gone, fine but if he's there, he's the easy pick over Barkley.

They both have a pretty damn good WR who bails them out.

It's to early for me to say who is the better QB. I'd rather wait till have all the information and see them perform in their Bowls before i give my definitive answer on who's best.

Right now, i prefer Wilson, but i don't KNOW that he's the better candidate.

Chiefnj2 11-13-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9115638)
I'd be okay with any of the three, but I think that for a franchise that hasn't taken a QB in round 1 for 30 years Barkley is the best bet.

I think his mobility is fine. He's not a statue. I think his arm strength is fine, but I really like his accuracy, decision making, and reputation as a high intangibles guy. Little chance of him 'Leafing out'. I think Matt Ryan is a good comparison.

Don't tell me you wouldn't take Matt Ryan.

Why is the Matt Ryan comparison more accurate than comparing him to Sanchez or Leinert?

BoneKrusher 11-13-2012 01:34 PM

Pocket Presence, ability to read a defense and accuracy is a must for whomever we draft.

if we get that and get rid of Cassel i'm a happy camper.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9115635)
Watch the Stanford clips and even Syracuse this year. Barkley's system protects him a lot. Against Syracuse I'd say 70% of his passes were 2 yards down field or less. He makes some boneheaded plays under pressure.

I've watched plenty of both or them (though i will re-watch again and again im sure) and i recall Geno having the same issues. Geno also throws a lot of short stuff that his WR's take for big gainers.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9115648)
Pocket Presence, ability to read a defense and accuracy is a must for whomever we draft.

And i see more of that in Barkley and Wilson than i do Smith.

This past saturday i watched Smith miss wide open throws downf ield and nearly give the game away on a would be interception.

The guy needs work.

Once again, i don't see a clear cut winner yet.

Sorter 11-13-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9115647)
Why is the Matt Ryan comparison more accurate than comparing him to Sanchez or Leinert?

Sanchez was a 1 year starter.

Barkley hasn't had nearly the hype Leinart did but I could understand someone making a comparison there.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9115661)
Sanchez was a 1 year starter.

Barkley hasn't had nearly the hype Leinart did but I could understand someone making a comparison there.

And then when you compare Barkley to Leinart, it's pretty clear that one is vastly more mature than the other.

mr. tegu 11-13-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9115654)
I've watched plenty of both or them (though i will re-watch again and again im sure) and i recall Geno having the same issues. Geno also throws a lot of short stuff that his WR's take for big gainers.

Both Barkley and Smith benefit from YAC but that is because they put the ball in the perfect spot for the receiver to keep on going. No matter how open someone is, if the QB isn't very accurate there won't be those long pass plays with the receiver breaking it after the catch.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9115667)
Both Barkley and Smith benefit from YAC but that is because they put the ball in the perfect spot for the receiver to keep on going. No matter how open someone is, if the QB isn't very accurate there won't be those long pass plays with the receiver breaking it after the catch.

Oh i agree.

All the more reason we need to draft one and get rid of Cassel.

It doesn't matter which one you get if all you're looking for is an upgrade.

Chris Meck 11-13-2012 01:40 PM

Sanchez started one year and left early. Not much in common other than the system.

Leinert-nothing in common other than the system. Lefty, even less arm strength, not nearly as accurate, not a dedicated student of the game, lack of film study really showed up in the NFL. Intangibles sucked.

Matt Ryan-all the intangibles are there, similar arm, from a similar system. Ryan has shown a similar skillset and mental makeup being successful in the NFL. Ryan is a good picture of upside. I think a pre-shoulder injury Pennington would be the floor. Either is a drastic improvement.

All that being said, I'm not saying I think he's better than Smith or Wilson, just that I think he'll be the pick for a gunshy franchise.

Chiefs Pantalones 11-13-2012 01:43 PM

Just me, but I prefer Barkley. Four year starter, has improved every year, pro style offense, etc. I'd be fine with any of the top three though.

RustShack 11-13-2012 01:43 PM

Barkley isn't even good enough to have a great season with a team stacked with talent. I want a QB that makes a team better than it is.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9115672)

All that being said, I'm not saying I think he's better than Smith or Wilson, just that I think he'll be the pick for a gunshy franchise.

Very well could be. Barkley has "safe" written all over him.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9115679)
Barkley isn't even good enough to have a great season with a team stacked with talent. I want a QB that makes a team better than it is.

Is the team stacked with talent, or is Barkley making the talent around him better?

milkman 11-13-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9115618)

Tom Brady doesn't scramble, but his pocket mobility is the best I've seen since Terry Bradshaw.

No one glides in the pocket to avoid pressure better.

suds79 11-13-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

2011 wasn't a great year for him?

suds79 11-13-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9115690)
Tom Brady doesn't scramble, but his pocket mobility is the best I've seen since Terry Bradshaw.

No one glides in the pocket to avoid pressure better.

Okay I digress. Before this stems off into Tom Brady talk etc.

Do you think Matt Barkley's pocket mobility will be an issue? Neither do I.

milkman 11-13-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9115621)
I dont think so either. All three are young with fresh legs and can move around in the pocket. Though i think Smith really needs to work on his pocket awareness.

Seriously.

Smith's pocket awareness is better than any of the others.

The problem is that he is under pressure as soon as he recieves the snap against these better defenses he has faced in the last 3 games.

He has to move before he even has a chance to set up in the pocket.

milkman 11-13-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9115696)
Okay I digress. Before this stems off into Tom Brady talk etc.

Do you think Matt Barkley's pocket mobility will be an issue? Neither do I.

I think Barkley is going to be a very good NFL QB.

I think that both Wilson and Smith have higher ceilings.

I won't complain about drafting any of those three.

suds79 11-13-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9115698)
I think Barkley is going to be a very good NFL QB.

I think that both Wilson and Smith have higher ceilings.

I won't complain about drafting any of those three.

agree 100%

Titty Meat 11-13-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 9115648)

You just described Barkley the same guy you bashed earlier in the thread you moron and your avatar looks like some Burger King knock off.

BoneKrusher 11-13-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9115660)
And i see more of that in Barkley and Wilson than i do Smith.

This past saturday i watched Smith miss wide open throws downf ield and nearly give the game away on a would be interception.

The guy needs work.

Once again, i don't see a clear cut winner yet.

i havent watched a lot of Barkley/USC but if he has all that i'd be ok with him and i'm anti-USC as far as QB's go.

Sorter 11-13-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9115666)
And then when you compare Barkley to Leinart, it's pretty clear that one is vastly more mature than the other.

Certainly. I was just saying I could see why someone could compare the two, but it doesn't really work for me.

lucifer 11-13-2012 02:00 PM

Bray will without a doubt be the best QB out of this class when they all retire from the nfl in 15-20 years.

suds79 11-13-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifer (Post 9115743)
Bray will without a doubt be the best QB out of this class when they all retire from the nfl in 15-20 years.

Maybe best physical tools but we don't even know if he'll end up declaring or not.

I think he could use another year so at this point he's dead to me. I don't think he's NFL ready.

BoneKrusher 11-13-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9115706)
You just described Barkley the same guy you bashed earlier in the thread you moron and your avatar looks like some Burger King knock off.

go fist your mama

DBOSHO 11-13-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9115594)
Right now my preference would be:

1. Wilson
2. Smith
3. Barkley

This.

Ive been watching alot of wilson on youtube. I know its not the best way to judge but theres full games of every pass hes thrown.

He reminds me alot of favre. Hes going to be the kind of quarterback that will win alot of games for you, but will lose a few as well. I bet he can be a 4000yd/35td/15int consistently in the pros. Hes got an awkward throwing motion, but hes tough as nails, and has gobs of arm strength. I think i like him because he takes chances.

Hes the quarterback I want.

loochy 11-13-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Charles Barkley?

No, Lt. Barkley

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nlbwRNBfa7...00/320x240.jpg

Woodchuck 11-13-2012 03:07 PM

The Lane Kiffen connection is scary. When he was USC's WR coach, all of their WRs busted in the pros. When he was the OC, the QBs, WRs, and RBs busted.

Whatever he touches seems to go bad imo.

1. Wilson
2. Smith
3. Barkley

RealSNR 11-13-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9115908)

Not a very charismatic leader. He's nothing without that alien that gives him super-being intelligence

RealSNR 11-13-2012 03:12 PM

Also, when he started sucking, fans would call him Matt Broccoli.

Toadkiller 11-13-2012 03:16 PM

I was all for Barkley until USC got busted for deflating the footballs because he likes a flat ball to grip. This makes me worried that he has small hands and can't grip a fully inflated football that well. I dont know, just something I worry about now and would rather go Geno.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...balls/1691303/

Simply Red 11-13-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucifer (Post 9115743)

completely reeruned.

keg in kc 11-13-2012 03:21 PM

Lee's the player you want from USC. Barkley's just kind of there.

alnorth 11-13-2012 03:30 PM

Barkley: 64.8 CMP%, 33 TD, 13 INT

Geno: 71.3 CMP%, 31 TD, 3 INT

Barkley's OL and surrounding cast is much better, he receives more protection and has more time to throw, and the teams he faced are about as tough or maybe slightly easier than the teams Geno faced. Geno is out-performing him. Geno also looks better. He has to make a decision quicker, and he makes fewer mistakes. The only concern is if Geno can adapt to an NFL offense.

Other than that, it really doesn't look like a tough decision to me. I wouldn't be pissed with Barkley, but I'm not picking him over Geno.

L.A. Chieffan 11-13-2012 03:38 PM

I watch a lot of SC games and Barkley is good theres no doubt about it. In the right system I think he could do very well.

tredadda 11-13-2012 03:41 PM

If we pick a QB at #1 (and we better draft one), it will be Barkley. He was projected to be a Top 10 if not a Top 5 pick last year in a class with Luck and RGIII. He has done nothing to lose ground, so he should easily be the #1 pick if it is us drafting first.

ChiefsCountry 11-13-2012 03:46 PM

Geno's numbers are little schewed by the non-conference games which were off the wall.

He is 67% in Big 12.
Barkley is 64% in PAC-12.

ModSocks 11-13-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9116040)
Geno's numbers are little schewed by the non-conference games which were off the wall.

He is 67% in Big 12.

What's Wilson's SEC #'s?

suds79 11-13-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 9116018)
If we pick a QB at #1 (and we better draft one), it will be Barkley. He was projected to be a Top 10 if not a Top 5 pick last year in a class with Luck and RGIII. He has done nothing to lose ground, so he should easily be the #1 pick if it is us drafting first.

To be fair his year this year isn't on the same level of the #s he put up last year.

Coming into this year everybody was salivating over Tyler Wilson. Now people arn't so sure.

I'm just saying I don't think it's so clear cut.

I like Barkley but I expect come pro workout day when he's being evaluated vs the physical talents of Wilson & Smith, I think they'll make up some ground on him.

ChiefsCountry 11-13-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9116054)
What's Wilson's SEC #'s?

61%

mr. tegu 11-13-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9116054)
What's Wilson's SEC #'s?

61% Completion, 10 TD, 6 INTs.

Chris Meck 11-13-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9116059)
To be fair his year this year isn't on the same level of the #s he put up last year.

Coming into this year everybody was salivating over Tyler Wilson. Now people arn't so sure.

I'm just saying I don't think it's so clear cut.

I like Barkley but I expect come pro workout day when he's being evaluated vs the physical talents of Wilson & Smith, I think they'll make up some ground on him.

I don't think it's clear cut who's better either, and I'll be happy with either of the three as long as the new GM/Coaching staff/system is a good fit for their skillset. However, I think for a franchise that's been too chickenshit to draft a QB, Barkley looks like the no brainer choice. He's not likely to bust.

oldman 11-13-2012 03:57 PM

Just pick one. Maybe it's because I've seen more of him, but I like Wilson. I think I'll give Barkley the nod over Smith just because of the style of offense he plays in. Also take a late round flyer on Jordan Rodgers from Vanderbilt.

alnorth 11-13-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9116040)

He is 67% in Big 12.

Thats true, but Geno still has only 3 picks

DC.chief 11-13-2012 03:58 PM

I say take Barkley or Geno at 1 and i'm hoping we trade back up into the first and grab a big target for our new qb to work with. We all know Bowe is gone.

Or if we can manage to trade back up high enough to grab millner and then take a wr with our next pick. But that probably won't happen..

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 04:02 PM

Barkley has had some bad games this year, for sure. If he had come out last year, he'd have definitely been the 3rd QB in the Top Ten, if not the Top Five.

Word on the street here is that Lane Kiffin is a goner. Pat Haden and USC believe that Barkley has regressed and not improved this year and to them, the blame lies with Lane Kiffin. Their defense is absolutely loaded with talent but they're playing an antiquated scheme.

The bottom line is that Barkley is a mature young man with four years as a starting QB at a Top 25 school. He has all of the immeasurables you'd want in a QB including strong leadership and great character (in addition to respect of his teammates) and he's not lacking in any measurables. Sure, more arm strength would be nice but he's certainly not lacking in arm strength.

He'll need to go to a team willing to tailer a WCO offense around his skills and if so, should be a very good NFL QB. Unlike Sanchez and Leinart, Barkley LOVES football.

That said, I think it's silly to make any determination now. Wait until after bowl season, after the Combines and after a new GM and coaching staff is in place.

KC_Lee 11-13-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9116109)
Barkley has had some bad games this year, for sure. If he had come out last year, he'd have definitely been the 3rd QB in the Top Ten, if not the Top Five.

Word on the street here is that Lane Kiffin is a goner. Pat Haden and USC believe that Barkley has regressed and not improved this year and to them, the blame lies with Lane Kiffin. Their defense is absolutely loaded with talent but they're playing an antiquated scheme.

The bottom line is that Barkley is a mature young man with four years as a starting QB at a Top 25 school. He has all of the immeasurables you'd want in a QB including strong leadership and great character (in addition to respect of his teammates) and he's not lacking in any measurables. Sure, more arm strength would be nice but he's certainly not lacking in arm strength.

He'll need to go to a team willing to tailer a WCO offense around his skills and if so, should be a very good NFL QB. Unlike Sanchez and Leinart, Barkley LOVES football.

That said, I think it's silly to make any determination now. Wait until after bowl season, after the Combines and after a new GM and coaching staff is in place.

This, over and over.

Clean house, hire a new GM and coaching staff, let the HC & OC build the playbook, then and only then choose a QB in the 1st round.

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 9116085)
Also take a late round flyer on Jordan Rodgers from Vanderbilt.

He's an undrafted free agent unless a team with an extra 7th round pick wants him and see him as a long term developmental QB.

He has a long, long, long way to go before he's a NFL QB.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-13-2012 04:09 PM

Not wanting Barkley because he's another USC QB is as dumb as not wanting Rodgers cause he was a Tedford guy. Each prospect should be measured individually and by their own merits. Barkley would be a damn fine selection on draft day.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-13-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

They should just draft Steele JantzROFL

lcarus 11-13-2012 04:13 PM

Barkley, Geno, Tyler Wilson...just get me one of them and get rid of Cassel. I really like Geno the best though.