ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Does anyone here fly? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274589)

God of Thunder 07-16-2013 09:59 PM

Does anyone here fly?

Thursday I take my first hour to get my private pilots license. Just curious if anyone here has theirs and/or flies to try and see if anyone I meet there, might be someone on here.

Rain Man 07-16-2013 10:01 PM

I fly a lot, but I use commercial airlines. Free sodas.

morphius 07-16-2013 11:08 PM

I fall with style.

Discuss Thrower 07-16-2013 11:10 PM

Haven't flown since July 2011 since I failed my middle stage check ride. **** soft field takeoffs.

Sorter 07-16-2013 11:11 PM

Can't you just swing your hammer around, bitch?

Simply Red 07-16-2013 11:16 PM

Frankie is an excellent and trustworthy pilot.

Dayze 07-16-2013 11:23 PM

I think Buelher and ReRun are pilots.

Imon Yourside 07-16-2013 11:41 PM

Quite a few trippers around here, not sure they fly fo realz tho!

Psyko Tek 07-16-2013 11:46 PM

I have been known to miss the ground occasionally

CrazyPhuD 07-17-2013 12:10 AM

PM WiTuLo I'm pretty sure he's flight rated.

Ming the Merciless 07-17-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God of Thunder (Post 9816871)
Thursday I take my first hour to get my private pilots license. Just curious if anyone here has theirs and/or flies to try and see if anyone I meet there, might be someone on here.

Never got my license, I took a semester of ground school and did a few hours of training....realized I probably wasn't going to get into it as a hobby or career and decided to not spend the coin...

I kind of regret not going further with it but its just too damn expensive, or at least it was 10-15 years ago.

DaneMcCloud 07-17-2013 01:58 AM

All the time.

My real name is Ho Lee Fuk.

DRU 07-17-2013 02:39 AM

I've got about 15 hours of flight time in my logs. Unfortunately, I haven't been in about a year. Just didn't have the time to focus on it.

Where are you going to be doing the training?

mdchiefsfan 07-17-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9817133)
All the time.

My real name is Ho Lee Fuk.

LMAO Wi Tu Lo

Dave Lane 07-17-2013 06:51 AM

I had a license back in the day and it was a gigantic pain in the ass and really not worth the time so I quit doing it.

Dave Lane 07-17-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9817035)
I think Buelher and ReRun are pilots.

Buelher pretty much has to be.

notorious 07-17-2013 07:23 AM

Yes.

I instructed for about 5 years, did some 135, and pilot service.

Here are a few tips to make your instructor happy:

1. Show up 15-30 minutes early and have the plane preflighted BEFORE your scheduled lesson.

2. Ask questions, no matter how stupid you think they are.

3. When you do your first power-on stall, don't try to take it vertical. Take it nice and easy pulling up.

4. Read. It's much easier (and cheaper) to learn IN the plane when you already have the raw info memorized.

Have fun.

Bwana 07-17-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9817002)
I fall with style.

Likewise

http://discoveringgaborone.files.wor...1/skydive1.jpg

loochy 07-17-2013 07:49 AM

Take care to not break apart in mid air. That would be SCARY :eek:

Scaga 07-17-2013 08:20 AM

Don't fly, but do work for Cessna.
Want to buy a plane?

Donger 07-17-2013 09:14 AM

I know how to fly (never had one lesson!) and my buddy lets me fly his plane every once in a while.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2013 09:19 AM

I took lessons for awhile and got to the point where I was ready for my final solo flight but I fell out of practice and ended up far enough from where I was that the climb back uphill just didn't seem worth the reward.

If you're going to spend the money on the lessons, it's because this is going to be a primary hobby of yours and not just something you do every few months.

It's a very hard skill to keep up and it's not cheap. I enjoyed it but realized that I just wasn't going to do it often enough to stay safe in the process. It was going to get real dangerous, real fast if I handled it in the same weekend warrior fashion that I handle softball, golf and most of my other hobbies.

The payoff seems incredible and I enjoyed flight time, but in the end I really didn't have time to dedicate to the climb.

saphojunkie 07-17-2013 09:24 AM

I don't fly, but my good friend is an air traffic controller.

Two things I know from him:

1. ATC guys are all semi-functioning alcoholic conservative gun lovers.
2. Private pilots are moments from killing themselves and others 99% of the time.

saphojunkie 07-17-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9817344)
I know how to fly (never had one lesson!) and my buddy lets me fly his plane every once in a while.

That shit better run on solar, pal.

BIG_DADDY 07-17-2013 09:26 AM

Got through a good portion of it when the markets got hit in 2008 and then got caught up in my business and never went back. I enjoyed it a lot and would like to go back and finish one day. There is no way that will happen anytime soon though. WAY too many pots on the stove.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9817364)
2. Private pilots are moments from killing themselves and others 99% of the time.

Pft.

99% of the time it's harder to kill yourself in a private plane than it is in your kitchen.

You really really have to **** up to knock your average Cessna out of the sky. They weigh as much as a shoe and have the glide ratio of cottonwood seeds. My instructor reached over and pulled the carb heat to kill the motor without telling me on one of my early flights because it takes a solid 5 minutes of you fumbling around like a dipshit before you reach critical mass from 8,000 feet or so.

Airplane aerodynamics are what they are - keep the wings attached and chances are you're going to remain in very good shape.

If you go on a 3 hour flight, you'll have maybe 10 minutes where you can even see another aircraft, let alone be anywhere near one. Storms are generally easy to plan around and/or see and simply sidestep.

The only part that ever made me nervous was landing, but it made me damn nervous. I never got very good at it at all. I sucked at the flare, I'd get jittery over cross-winds ("WTF do you mean, 'tilt the wings'?!?!")and I'll be goddamned if I'm ever going to do a slip maneuver again.

I'd have gotten there, but the moment I got past the nerves on most of that stuff, I hit a run of jury trials and responsibility changes and by the time I got back into lessons, the nerves had returned and I was just too frustrated and busy to battle through it.

Beef Supreme 07-17-2013 09:47 AM

I took some lessons, but didn't finish. My dad built a bi-plane from a blueprint when I was a kid, flew it for many years, sold it, and bought a different plane later. I would likely have inherited that plane had I got my license. But I couldn't afford the hanger fees, or all of the yearly fees associated with maintaining a license. And I really couldn't even afford the lessons. My dad sold the plane last year.

LiveSteam 07-17-2013 12:55 PM

In my previous life. I was Baron Von Richthofen

Molitoth 07-17-2013 12:58 PM

One time I was banging this chick on coke and whiskey when I had an early morning flight creep up on me. Something went wrong and I had to fly the plane upside down for awhile. We crashed, but I was ok.

I had to quit flying after that.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9817227)
Yes.
I instructed for about 5 years, did some 135, and pilot service.

Question:

I've always had a theory that some people can 'pilot' stuff in general and some just can't. For instance, I'm pretty comfortable operating just about anything that has a seat. I've loved waverunners/jetskis since I was 8. I could drive our boat by 13. I'm a pretty good motorcycle rider (first time I ever rode one was the one I bought brand new) and hell, I've even spent summers on Kobotas and John Deeres.

Some people just have a natural inclination towards operating vehicles and I felt that was why I took to most piloting stuff pretty easily (my instructor was comfortable enough to have me take-off and do the basic maneuvers on my 2nd time in the plane and first time in the front seat).

So where I ended with was "if you can ride a motorcycle, you can fly a plane".

You buy it? Do you think there's a set of universal skills as an vehicle operator that makes one a decent pilot? Or do you think someone can be a poor driver but a good pilot?

CoMoChief 07-17-2013 04:59 PM

I have close to 30 hrs of flying under my belt but lessons are expensive and I was doing sports etc in HS and just didn't have time or money with working in the summer, and I haven't done it again ever since. It's a lot of fun though....wish I kept with it. Maybe someday I'll continue to try and get my privates license.

FD 07-17-2013 05:11 PM

I got my license on HS and seriously considered doing it as a career, with an inclination towards joining the military. When I heard how hard it is to get pilot positions in the services I backed off of it. I would love to take it up again just as a hobby but its too expensive to do regularly, especially post 9/11 and with such high fuel costs.

notorious 07-17-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9818069)
Question:

I've always had a theory that some people can 'pilot' stuff in general and some just can't. For instance, I'm pretty comfortable operating just about anything that has a seat. I've loved waverunners/jetskis since I was 8. I could drive our boat by 13. I'm a pretty good motorcycle rider (first time I ever rode one was the one I bought brand new) and hell, I've even spent summers on Kobotas and John Deeres.

Some people just have a natural inclination towards operating vehicles and I felt that was why I took to most piloting stuff pretty easily (my instructor was comfortable enough to have me take-off and do the basic maneuvers on my 2nd time in the plane and first time in the front seat).

So where I ended with was "if you can ride a motorcycle, you can fly a plane".

You buy it? Do you think there's a set of universal skills as an vehicle operator that makes one a decent pilot? Or do you think someone can be a poor driver but a good pilot?

Raw skills is all hand-eye coordination. Almost all of my teenage to 25 year old students could land the plane on their own in 1 or 2 lessons.

Teaching old people how to land was truly a test of my patience.

notorious 07-17-2013 05:41 PM

Oh, if anyone is looking at going career, just know that the pay and hours suck until you are flying a big airliner, and even then it's not anything to go crazy over.

Discuss Thrower 07-17-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9818119)
Oh, if anyone is looking at going career, just know that the pay and hours suck until you are flying a big airliner, and even then it's not anything to go crazy over.

Know any instructors in the Springfield area

notorious 07-17-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9818125)
Know any instructors in the Springfield area

Sorry.

All of my instructor buddies have moved on to bigger and better things. Most of them were in Tulsa at Spartan.

Sorter 07-17-2013 06:13 PM

Also, why fly when you can teleport?