ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Expect Flurry of First-Round Draft Trades (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243958)

reschief 04-14-2011 11:56 AM

Expect Flurry of First-Round Draft Trades

Expect flurry of first-round draft trades

08:03 AM ET 04.14 | Stability at quarterback among teams picking in the back half of the draft is likely to directly affect the wheeling and dealing. Of the teams picking from 17-32 in the first round, the only team that really needs a quarterback is Seattle, which is picking 25th. The rest are all set, unless one of those teams plans to look for a quarterback of the future. The quarterback stability of the teams in those spots is why they are there. ... What that should do is set up what could be a wild ride at the back end of the first round, with a flurry of trades. The haves can make deals with the have-nots. "I still think as many as five quarterbacks go in the first round," an NFC general manager said. "You watch. Some of those guys will go late in the round when teams realize they won't all be there in the second, and they have to make moves to get them."

CBSSports.com

Since we're "set" at "quarterback" . . . what are the odds we trade down from 21 and pick up additional picks?

The Franchise 04-14-2011 12:00 PM

The Dolphins would be an interesting situation. They pick at #15 and they need a QB. I think #15 is to high to take one of the other QBs outside of Gabbert and Newton. They don't have a 2nd round pick this year. They might be willing to part with their 1st in next years draft to move up into the latter part of the 1st round.

ModSocks 04-14-2011 12:05 PM

The frequency of trades seems to have been increasing every year, so of course this wouldn't be surprising.

I don't know if they actually have been increasing or not, but it sure feels that way.

Unless we're raping the other team, I wouldn't wanna trade out of the first round.

reschief 04-14-2011 12:10 PM

Pioli could start stacking picks . . . a.k.a. another example of the Patriots way, right? . . . but the Chiefs have so many needs it would be hard to be patient on acquiring what we need NOW - assuming there is a season.

BossChief 04-14-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reschief (Post 7564298)
Pioli could start stacking picks . . . a.k.a. another example of the Patriots way, right? . . . but the Chiefs have so many needs it would be hard to be patient on acquiring what we need NOW - assuming there is a season.

IMO we are 4-5 quality players away from being a contender...not as far as you perceive things evidently.

OnTheWarpath15 04-14-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 7564485)
IMO we are 4-5 quality players away from being a contender...not as far as you perceive things evidently.

QB
RB2
WR2
WR3
C
RT (possibly)
NT
DE opposite Dorsey
ILB
OLB

4-5 players away?

DeezNutz 04-14-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7564504)
QB
RB2
WR2
WR3
C
RT (possibly)
NT
DE opposite Dorsey
ILB
OLB

4-5 players away?

I think we're two players away from really making noise, but these players are going to take a miracle to acquire: a franchise QB and another legit. WR.

Get the QB and everything else will work itself out a hell of a lot easier, but we don't seem to give a **** about this, for some strange reason.

ChiefsCountry 04-14-2011 01:44 PM

Trading for Cassel and not taking Sanchez will haunt this team the rest of this decade.

Saccopoo 04-14-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7564504)
QB
RB2
WR2
WR3
C
RT (possibly)
NT
DE opposite Dorsey
ILB
OLB

4-5 players away?

+
LT (Albert sucks - he's not an NFL caliber LT)
LG (Waters is done)
FB (Both of ours aren't very good)
DE (Dorsey's position, who, while better in 2010, isn't all that good)

13 guys who should be replaced.

I expect that we use one of our fifth rounders to trade up for a tight end to replace Pope.

DeezNutz 04-14-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 7564525)

:facepalm:

But what about when he lined up at LB?

Saccopoo 04-14-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 7564518)
Trading for Cassel and not taking Sanchez will haunt this team the rest of this decade.

C'mon...

Sanchez, in 2010, was the third worst quarterback in the league statistically, only eclipsing Derek Anderson and Chief's Planet's favorite son, Jimmy Clausen.

And that's playing behind a top flight offensive line, a solid running game and a top five defense.

What do you possibly think he'd have accomplished here that Cassel hasn't?

bsp4444 04-14-2011 01:51 PM

Albert is not trash. He was the LT on a team that led the NFL in rushing. Can we upgrade, possibly, but we can definitely survive with him as a Left Tackle.

OnTheWarpath15 04-14-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 7564525)
+
LT (Albert sucks - he's not an NFL caliber LT)
LG (Waters is done)
FB (Both of ours aren't very good)

13 guys who should be replaced.

I expect that we use one of our fifth rounders to trade up for a tight end to replace Pope.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match over Albert, but I think Asomoah will take care of your need at guard.

You don't need a great fullback to win a championship. Hell, you really don't even need a good one. I'm trying to think of the last SB champion to actually utilize the FB.

Dorsey is more than good enough at DE. Jackson isn't.

Regardless, we're a lot farther away than 4-5 players, as Boss suggests.

OnTheWarpath15 04-14-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7564511)
I think we're two players away from really making noise, but these players are going to take a miracle to acquire: a franchise QB and another legit. WR.

Get the QB and everything else will work itself out a hell of a lot easier, but we don't seem to give a **** about this, for some strange reason.

I think we would be much more competitive with those positions filled, but if the goal is to win championships, we need more, IMO.

bsp4444 04-14-2011 01:57 PM

I believe he said 4-5 players from being a contender and he is right. 4-5 of the right players. We won 10 games last year, albeit with a soft schedule, but with a better pass rush (DT, OLB) we greatly improve our defense. With a WR, C, RT, we greatly improve our offense. Not that the draft will fall that way, but that would make us a hell of a problem for a lot of teams.