ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Your Best Smoked Brisket Recipe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269592)

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 05:37 PM

Your Best Smoked Brisket Recipe

Hey guys I want to smoke a brisket this weekend and never have.

All I have for a grill is the standard sized Weber Charcoal Kettle. I have smoked ribs on it, turkey breasts and all good.

I know brisket is a Texas thing but I want to smoke one this weekend and was hoping you had some ideas.

Been watching the videos on YouTube but don't really know which one to go with and I don't want to ruin a 30.00 brisket.

I know it needs low and slow but not sure how many hours and how to maintain a low temp.

Want to hear your methods.

In58men 02-01-2013 05:39 PM

Boil it first to make it tender.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-01-2013 05:39 PM

McRib

KCUnited 02-01-2013 05:40 PM

Stick to crawfish, n00b.

FlaChief58 02-01-2013 05:41 PM

http://www.howtobbqright.com/bbqribs.html

I've followed his directions and....:drool:

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2013 05:41 PM

I think you've started as many threads as posts made

Phobia 02-01-2013 05:44 PM

Brisket is a Texas thing? Piss off n00b.

Phobia 02-01-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9371254)
I think you've started as many threads as posts made

I've seen the criticisms and I've been watching. He starts a few threads and it's more than the average bear but he's not starting total crap. If he gets out of line, we'll nip it in the bud but so far, he's legit.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9371246)

ROFL

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371237)
Hey guys I want to smoke a brisket this weekend and never have.

All I have for a grill is the standard sized Weber Charcoal Kettle. I have smoked ribs on it, turkey breasts and all good.

I know brisket is a Texas thing but I want to smoke one this weekend and was hoping you had some ideas.

Been watching the videos on YouTube but don't really know which one to go with and I don't want to ruin a 30.00 brisket.

I know it needs low and slow but not sure how many hours and how to maintain a low temp.

Want to hear your methods.

They're hard to screw up.

225, 2 fist sized chunks of cherry, 1 fist sized chunk of oak and a shitload of patience. I've seen some people say to put it on at room temperature but I add it straight from the fridge. I think the lower temp gives you a little more time in the smoke and a slightly better smoke ring before you hit that 145ish range where it stops accepting the smoke flavor.

I use a mustard coating and a dry rub that's light brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, mustard powder, black pepper, garlic powder and kosher salt. Use a LOT of rub, it mellows with the smoke. As for the ratio, I honestly don't remember, I just do it to taste. The garlic, black pepper and brown sugar probably make up 70% of the rub with the paprika making up the biggest chunk of the rest. I don't use a ton of salt and the cayenne is obviously as desired.

Some guys will swear by putting the fat side up claiming the juice permeates the meat better. Others will say that the juice mostly runs off and that you want to put the fat side down to protect from the more volatile heat zone directly between the water pan and the meat (or heat and meat if you don't use a water pan).

Some guys use a mop, I personally do not (not on beef). I just don't like beef having too much sweetness and I don't think a vinegar mop for beef. If you're curious, just google 'brisket mop' and you can find some recipes you may like.

Like I said, they're pretty hard to mess up.

candyman 02-01-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9371246)

Not sure if serious...if so, just...no.

I always use this method, its time consuming but the brisket is amazing.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket2.html

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail. Sorry, just noticed all you have is a kettle.

In58men 02-01-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9371253)
http://www.howtobbqright.com/bbqribs.html

I've followed his directions and....:drool:

He's wanting a recipe for brisket not ribs, ya jack wagon

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9371249)
Stick to crawfish, n00b.

Maybe I'll cook some along with it.

Here's my last boil.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371272)

He's not.

In58men 02-01-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371272)

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail. Sorry, just noticed all you have is a kettle.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/mu8eja5a.jpg

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9371268)
I've seen the criticisms and I've been watching. He starts a few threads and it's more than the average bear but he's not starting total crap. If he gets out of line, we'll nip it in the bud but so far, he's legit.

Thank you.

I enjoy the hell out of this board. It's the best one in the country.

Other boards put a 4 thread per day max so that's my benchmark.

I only put something up if I think you guys might be entertained or in this case can give me some good advice.

FlaChief58 02-01-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9371276)
He's wanting a recipe for brisket not ribs, ya jack wagon

That's just a link to the site dumbass

In58men 02-01-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9371292)
That's just a link to the site dumbass

Well send a ****in link to brisket not ribs, stupid mother bitch

candyman 02-01-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371282)
He's not.

lol good...Im still a n00b, still trying to figure out who the trolls are :)

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371270)

225, 2 fist sized chunks of cherry, 1 fist sized chunk of oak and a shitload of patience. I've seen some people say to put it on at room temperature but I add it straight from the fridge. I think the lower temp gives you a little more time in the smoke and a slightly better smoke ring before you hit that 145ish range where it stops accepting the smoke flavor.

I use a mustard coating and a dry rub that's light brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, mustard powder, black pepper, garlic powder and kosher salt. Use a LOT of rub, it mellows with the smoke. As for the ratio, I honestly don't remember, I just do it to taste. The garlic, black pepper and brown sugar probably make up 70% of the rub with the paprika making up the biggest chunk of the rest. I don't use a ton of salt and the cayenne is obviously as desired.

Some guys will swear by putting the fat side up claiming the juice permeates the meat better. Others will say that the juice mostly runs off and that you want to put the fat side down to protect from the more volatile heat zone directly between the water pan and the meat (or heat and meat if you don't use a water pan).

Some guys use a mop, I personally do not (not on beef). I just don't like beef having too much sweetness and I don't think a vinegar mop for beef. If you're curious, just google 'brisket mop' and you can find some recipes you may like.

This is a pretty good start. For a brisket rub, stay fairly light on sugar. Your brisket will be in the smoker too long and the sugar will get bitter. Some is OK, too much is bad. I frankly don't care for sugar in a brisket rub. Great on ribs, though.

Here's a couple good basic rubs on Food Network. I've tried both of them, and they're pretty standard.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

The practice of rubbing the whole brisket down with mustard, then applying the rub is 100 percent spot on. As for a baste - I don't do a lot, but I'll pour a bottle of beer in a spray bottle and spritz it a few times.

FlaChief58 02-01-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9371294)
Well send a ****in link to brisket not ribs, stupid mother bitch

Why, because you're too stupid to scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the brisket tips?

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371296)
lol good...Im still a n00b, still trying to figure out who the trolls are :)

If memory serves, there's a board regular that boils his ribs first. It's ChiefsPlanet lexicon, right up there with the people that roast their Thanksgiving turkeys in a bag.

Welcome to CP, candyman. :thumb:

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Questions:

Does the sugar burn? Maybe I want that crust don't know.

How many hours or did you leave a thermometer in it the whole time.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 05:56 PM

Yeah. If I could ever figure out a way to get the crust I want without adding the brown sugar, I'd do it. But I've always had far more luck getting a bark by using brown sugar in the rub.

I'm sure it's a technique error, but that's part of the process, I s'pose.

candyman 02-01-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371299)
This is a pretty good start. For a brisket rub, stay fairly light on sugar. Your brisket will be in the smoker too long and the sugar will get bitter.

He has a kettle not a smoker. He's probably not going to be going low and slow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371304)
If memory serves, there's a board regular that boils his ribs first. It's ChiefsPlanet lexicon, right up there with the people that roast their Thanksgiving turkeys in a bag.

Welcome to CP, candyman. :thumb:

In58men 02-01-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9371303)
Why, because you're too stupid to scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the brisket tips?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/avyrysas.jpg

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371305)
Questions:

Does the sugar burn? Maybe I want that crust don't know.

How many hours or did you leave a thermometer in it the whole time.

FMB kinds spoke to that. Yes, it can. However, it's been my experience that it really doesn't at 225. That's a pretty low heat and more than anything, it just kinda liquifies.

As to the time - boy I don't have much to offer there and whatever I did would be wrong. I say don't ever expect anything to cook in less than 8 hours. I don't leave a probe in (I leave that on the grate to check the heat in the chamber), but every couple of hours I'll just hit it with the instant read to get a feel for where it is.

KCUnited 02-01-2013 05:58 PM

I would worry less about your rub and more about how you're going to keep your kettle at 225 for a pound/pound and a half an hour.

Personally, if I were doing a brisket in a kettle, which I never would, but if it were some weird challenge on some bbq show or something, I would do it at a higher heat for less time.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371309)

Build the fire on one side, close down the vents, put a water pan on the other side with some water in it, brisket over the water pan, and he absolutely can go low and slow.

candyman 02-01-2013 06:00 PM

Its going to be hard to do a brisket right on a kettle, unless you can figure out a way to keep the temp down. You really need some sort of water pan. I wouldnt use much sugar, if any at all because more than likely in a kettle it will burn.

EDIT: FMB is way ahead of me, that would probably work if you have a water pan.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9371313)
I would worry less about your rub and more about how you're going to keep your kettle at 225 for a pound/pound and a half an hour.

Personally, if I were doing a brisket in a kettle, which I never would, but if it were some weird challenge on some bbq show or something, I would do it at a higher heat for less time.

Very little fuel.

Too many people try to use their vents on a kettle and it creates that bitter taste when they close their top vents. You really need to keep a fuller air-flow in a kettle grill, IMO.

You just don't use very much charcoal and you have to re-load more than you'd like.

It's certainly not my preferred method, but given a 22 inch kettle and some patience, it can be done.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371309)

It smokes great but it is still charcoal.

I guess I could a lesser amount of charcoal in it but I hear people on Pittmasters and other shows smoking brisket for like 14 hours.

I don't know how to accomplish that if I have to put it on overnight.

Maybe I should use lump charcoal.

Think that would maintain a lower temp than briquettes and burn longer?

I want it to be ready by game time.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371312)
FMB kinds spoke to that. Yes, it can. However, it's been my experience that it really doesn't at 225. That's a pretty low heat and more than anything, it just kinda liquifies.

As to the time - boy I don't have much to offer there and whatever I did would be wrong. I say don't ever expect anything to cook in less than 8 hours. I don't leave a probe in (I leave that on the grate to check the heat in the chamber), but every couple of hours I'll just hit it with the instant read to get a feel for where it is.

I was just about to say the best thing you can buy if you're going to get into BBQ is a wireless probe thermometer... Goes to show you how different people can do this kind of food and still come out with outstanding results.

ROFL

I use a probe. You lose a ton of heat every time you open the grill. I think I read somewhere you need to add 30 minutes to your cook time every time you open that lid. So I try to do it as little as possible.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371314)
Build the fire on one side, close down the vents, put a water pan on the other side with some water in it, brisket over the water pan, and he absolutely can go low and slow.

EEEEEEEEEEK!

To clarify what I'm sure FMB meant, if you close down the vents, ONLY CLOSE THE BOTTOM.

The top vent stays open at all times, regardless of temperature. If you really want to ruin a piece of meat, close up the top vent. That smoke will just sit on the meat and give you a creosote buildup from hell.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371291)
Thank you.

I enjoy the hell out of this board. It's the best one in the country.

Other boards put a 4 thread per day max so that's my benchmark.

I only put something up if I think you guys might be entertained or in this case can give me some good advice.

You're fine. Figured I'd give some friendly advice to slow down speed racer on the Create New Thread button.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371324)
I was just about to say the best thing you can buy if you're going to get into BBQ is a wireless probe thermometer... Goes to show you how different people can do this kind of food and still come out with outstanding results.

ROFL

I use a probe. You lose a ton of heat every time you open the grill. I think I read somewhere you need to add 30 minutes to your cook time every time you open that lid. So I try to do it as little as possible.

Never found a probe that I trust enough. It seems like every one I've ever used has read temperature past just the tip so my readout is always much higher than the actual meat temp (because the ambient air is screwing with it).

But you're right, the less you can open the grill, the better.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371325)
EEEEEEEEEEK!

To clarify what I'm sure FMB meant, if you close down the vents, ONLY CLOSE THE BOTTOM.

The top vent stays open at all times, regardless of temperature. If you really want to ruin a piece of meat, close up the top vent. That smoke will just sit on the meat and give you a creosote buildup from hell.

Yes, of course. Should have mentioned, you actually want to position the top vent over the brisket to keep smoke flowing.

KCUnited 02-01-2013 06:05 PM

Somebody linked the virtual weber site, you can do a brisket in roughly 6 hrs (depending on the size) at 350+. I've done it, not on a kettle mind you, with the only noticeable difference being the bark, as foil is involved.

BlackHelicopters 02-01-2013 06:06 PM

Raw meat is always best. Why cook it?

candyman 02-01-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371321)
It smokes great but it is still charcoal.

I guess I could a lesser amount of charcoal in it but I hear people on Pittmasters and other shows smoking brisket for like 14 hours.

I don't know how to accomplish that if I have to put it on overnight.

Maybe I should use lump charcoal.

Think that would maintain a lower temp than briquettes and burn longer?

I want it to be ready by game time.

Splurge for a weber smoky mountain, you wont regret it if you like smoked meat I promise.

Loneiguana 02-01-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

. I think the lower temp gives you a little more time in the smoke and a slightly better smoke ring before you hit that 145ish range where it stops accepting the smoke flavor.

I had not heard of this before. Thank you.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371329)
Never found a probe that I trust enough. It seems like every one I've ever used has read temperature past just the tip so my readout is always much higher than the actual meat temp (because the ambient air is screwing with it).

But you're right, the less you can open the grill, the better.

Hell. I can't find the kind I've bought on Amazon. I've been through 4 or 5 of the one I have and love it.

candyman 02-01-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9371336)
Somebody linked the virtual weber site, you can do a brisket in roughly 6 hrs (depending on the size) at 350+. I've done it, not on a kettle mind you, with the only noticeable difference being the bark as foil is involved.

Yes you can, there are other recipes for brisket there...that's just the one I prefer. This would be better since you dont have a smoker: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah that's the plan.

I have the Weber charcoal holders if I want to put the charcoal on each side and the brisket in the middle.

But I tried that on ribs before with a rib rack and I think I get too much heat on each side.

Definitely want to have some good burnt ends.

KCUnited 02-01-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371345)
Yes you can, there are other recipes for brisket there...that's just the one I prefer. This would be better since you dont have a smoker: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

It's a good technique if you are in a pinch or on short notice. I still prefer 225 overnight, but I was surprised with the results of the HH brisket. I agree that it might be easier on a kettle than going low and slow. I would feel the need to babysit a kettle if trying to maintain 225 for 10+ hours.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371347)
Yeah that's the plan.

I have the Weber charcoal holders if I want to put the charcoal on each side and the brisket in the middle.

But I tried that on ribs before with a rib rack and I think I get too much heat on each side.

Definitely want to have some good burnt ends.

I once turned an entire brisket - flat and point - into a massive pile of burnt ends. It was delicious.

Pretty sure I took a couple years of my life off, but those are the crappy years anyway.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371317)
Its going to be hard to do a brisket right on a kettle, unless you can figure out a way to keep the temp down. You really need some sort of water pan. I wouldnt use much sugar, if any at all because more than likely in a kettle it will burn.

EDIT: FMB is way ahead of me, that would probably work if you have a water pan.

I have plenty of Weber aluminum throw away water pans.

I have a gas grill so the Weber is only for smoking.

I'm just trying to figure out how to build a 225 deg fire and how to check the temp to be accurate???

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371360)

I'm just trying to figure out how to build a 225 deg fire and how to check the temp to be accurate???

Use the minion method for your charcoal.

http://www.dirtysmokebbq.com/2011/10...on-method.html

Fritz88 02-01-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9371268)

Thank you Phobia. Dude is indeed legit. I dont get wtf is up with some here
Posted via Mobile Device

KCUnited 02-01-2013 06:17 PM

You can get a probe thermometer and stick the probes all the way through a potato to keep it off the grill grate.

Fritz88 02-01-2013 06:18 PM

Just had an epic brisket at pappy's.

It was Jamal Charles good.
Posted via Mobile Device

candyman 02-01-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371360)

Ive never tried to keep temp that low on my kettle. Im sure it can be done with a water pan and a small amount of fuel like others have suggested though. As far as checking the temp, you need something like this: http://www.amazon.com/River-Country-..._3563990011_11

Just use an alligator clip or something and stick it in one of your top vents.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371324)

ROFL

I have a probe that I use for the oven that I can use.

It's not wireless but doesn't matter the cord is meant to hang out of an oven or grill or whatever.

candyman 02-01-2013 06:25 PM

You need a probe to keep tabs on the meat temp, but you'll also need a grill thermometer to keep tabs on your grill heat.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9371326)
You're fine. Figured I'd give some friendly advice to slow down speed racer on the Create New Thread button.

I have no intention of abusing any privileges.

If other boards were like this one the world would be a better place.

Too many people are uptight and PC drives me ****ing nuts.

You can have fun on this board unlike others.

RyFo18 02-01-2013 06:30 PM

I just use a dry rub then keep it going at 225-250 for anywhere from 12-16 hours. I cheat w/ a wireless meat probe and temp probe (for grill temp) that has alarms so I can sleep in peace and not worry about the temp getting too high or low.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371393)
I have no intention of abusing any privileges.

If other boards were like this one the world would be a better place.

Too many people are uptight and PC drives me ****ing nuts.

You can have fun on this board unlike others.

No doubt. You have to be beyond a complete ****tard to even be in conversation to be banned from here. Not like the Minge where they get butthurt over anything bashing their precious Donks.

candyman 02-01-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9371326)

Not trying to derail the thread but...is the quote in your sig true? If so holy shit...I knew Pioli was bad but...just wow :shake:

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9371370)
Just had an epic brisket at pappy's.

It was Jamal Charles good.
Posted via Mobile Device

I went to Pappa's BBQ last night and bought a pound of brisket with some burnt ends.

Drank a pint of Jack D got ****ed up and ate the whole damn pound.

It was delicious but hell it cost me 15.00/lb.

Screw that I want to do my own now. Plus the smell when it's cooking...

They don't have burnt ends on the menu down here do they have it on the menu up there in KC?

candyman 02-01-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371407)

They don't have burnt ends on the menu down here do they have it on the menu up there in KC?

Of course...burnt ends are a KC BBQ delicacy. I may be wrong but Im pretty sure KC is where they started.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371403)
Not trying to derail the thread but...is the quote in your sig true? If so holy shit...I knew ***** was bad but...just wow :shake:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tjwFV-Rba68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited 02-01-2013 06:41 PM

We invented them, dumbass.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9371397)
No doubt. You have to be beyond a complete ****tard to even be in conversation to be banned from here. Not like the Minge where they get butthurt over anything bashing their precious Donks.

I got banned from the Cowboys message board after the Saints beat em this year.

And all I said was, "hey better luck next time" and they got all bent out of shape and called me a troll and all that shit which wasn't true.

I had been a member of that board for about a year up until then.

**** the Cowboys

Those guys love themselves and think Tony Romo is the best QB in the league.

They're all on crack and are delusional.

TribalElder 02-01-2013 06:42 PM

I like to inject the brisket the night before some do others don't. Also trim up the fat on the brisket unless you like bubblegum meat. Trim off as much as you can between the flat and the point. Also trim back the fat side. Rub it down with some plow boys bovine bold throw it on. I like to flip the brisket after a few hours and cook on both sides. I also pull it off with an hour or two to go and drop it in some foil then pour marinade in and completely cover it. Let it cook in the foil for an hour. Pull it out and cut off the point. Cover the flat back up tightly in the foil and let it cool for a while. Take your rub and cover the point of the brisket and throw it back on the grill. Then after another hour pull the point off and cube it up. Enjoy the burnt ends and brisket. Let the flat cool for 20 min so that it locks the moisture in.

I typically use beef broth and butter to inject the night before. It's been a while since I cooked a full brisket, it's a lot of work. Good luck and enjoy

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371338)
Splurge for a weber smoky mountain, you wont regret it if you like smoked meat I promise.

I hear ya.

I also had been thinking about the Masterbuilt electric smoker but since it's not an actual fire I don't think it produces a smoke ring.

Problem is I don't have the space.

Got a big ass backyard but only a 10 x 10 concrete slab for a patio.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CoAhAz1Tiok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

candyman 02-01-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9371423)
I like to inject the brisket the night before some do others don't. Also trim up the fat on the brisket unless you like bubblegum meat. Trim off as much as you can between the flat and the point. Also trim back the fat side. Rub it down with some plow boys bovine bold throw it on. I like to flip the brisket after a few hours and cook on both sides. I also pull it off with an hour or two to go and drop it in some foil then pour marinade in and completely cover it. Let it cook in the foil for an hour. Pull it out and cut off the point. Cover the flat back up tightly in the foil and let it cool for a while. Take your rub and cover the point of the brisket and throw it back on the grill. Then after another hour pull the point off and cube it up. Enjoy the burnt ends and brisket. Let the flat cool for 20 min so that it locks the moisture in.

I typically use beef broth and butter to inject the night before. It's been a while since I cooked a full brisket, it's a lot of work. Good luck and enjoy

This, good advice.

candyman 02-01-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371428)

Got a big ass backyard but only a 10 x 10 concrete slab for a patio.

Plenty of space for a smoky mountain, they're not very big at all.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371414)
Of course...burnt ends are a KC BBQ delicacy. I may be wrong but Im pretty sure KC is where they started.

When I tell the guy carving the brisket that I want some burnt ends it's like he has no damn idea what I'm talking about and I have to EXPLAIN it.

You should not have to explain bbq.

candyman 02-01-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371432)
When I tell the guy carving the brisket that I want some burnt ends it's like he has no damn idea what I'm talking about and I have to EXPLAIN it.

You should not have to explain bbq.

I hear ya. I spent a few weeks in Memphis about a year ago and had the same problem. I dont think you can find them anywhere besides Missouri/Kansas

Phobia 02-01-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

I think the lower temp gives you a little more time in the smoke and a slightly better smoke ring before you hit that 145ish range where it stops accepting the smoke flavor.

Ah - the great brisket debate. I don't think this has ever been proven one way or another. Some guys swear this to be gospel an others don't. Obviously there's a point where a cut is going to be smoke saturated but I'm not sure it has been scientifically proven anywhere specific.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371434)
I hear ya. I spent a few weeks in Memphis about a year ago and had the same problem. I dont think you can find them anywhere besides Missouri/Kansas

I've always enjoyed the crispy ends/parts of a brisket, roast, meat loaf etc.

I first saw "burnt ends" described on that show Man vs. Food when they were down at the Salt Lick BBQ in Austin.

Never been there but looking at their menu I don't see it listed either.

Obviously they have it since fat **** Adam Richman was eating it on the show.

Damn now I'm hungry.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/khrh3jH8YeI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

crispystl 02-01-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

This. Shit I've maintained about 190 - 200 on a kettle smoker for about 8 hours. It takes a shit load of babysitting but it's actually enjoyable if you like to **** with fire and need a little time away from the wife and kids.

crispystl 02-01-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 9371605)
This. Shit I've maintained about 190 - 200 on a kettle smoker for about 8 hours. It takes a shit load of babysitting but it's actually enjoyable if you like to **** with fire and need a little time away from the wife and kids.

Oh shit maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing I have a cheap ass brinkman smoke n grill. Is that considered a kettle smoker??? Regardless it's still a chore to maintain low heat for long periods of time.

*Never mind I see a kettle smoker is one of those little sawed off versions.

GloryDayz 02-01-2013 09:14 PM

Wow, way to open THAT can of worms! Here's my two cents.... You can get all the rubs you want, you can make your own rubs, you can inject it all you want, you can dry-age it....whatever! But if you want it tender and juicy, it's low and slow and add moisture. I keep my smoker between 195 and 205 (as best I can), and I have boiling water over the coals the entire burn. I also use lump charcoal and I use a chimney (if I'm using charcoal). Head to YouTube and enjoy your night getting a million opinions... But this is what I like to see:

http://i.imgur.com/0EgBAie.jpg

Six full briskets and all the time in the world to let them smoke...

crispystl 02-01-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9371641)
Wow, way to open THAT can of worms! Here's my two cents.... You can get all the rungs you want, you can make your own rubs, you can inject it all you want, you can dry-age it....whatever! But if you want it tender and juicy, it's low and slow and add moisture. I keep my smoker between 195 and 205 (as best I can), and I have boiling water over the coals the entire burn. I also use lump charcoal and I use a chimney (if I'm using charcoal). Head to YouTube and enjoy your night getting a million opinions... But this is what I like to see:

http://i.imgur.com/0EgBAie.jpg

Six full briskets and all the time in the world to let them smoke...

****ing exceptional!

TribalElder 02-01-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371442)
I first saw "burnt ends" described on that show Man vs. Food when they were down at the Salt Lick BBQ in Austin.

Never been there but looking at their menu I don't see it listed either.

Beware of resturaunts who display burnt ends on the menu without the terms "when available"

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9371668)
Beware of resturaunts who display burnt ends on the menu without the terms "when available"

Truth.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9371668)

There are only so many ends on a brisket.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9371435)
Ah - the great brisket debate. I don't think this has ever been proven one way or another. Some guys swear this to be gospel an others don't. Obviously there's a point where a cut is going to be smoke saturated but I'm not sure it has been scientifically proven anywhere specific.

I learned a long time ago that there isn't "a way" to do barbecue. If there was a holy grail, the pros would've figured it out by now.

Even guys like Myron Mixon (who is the mouthiest, know it all prick around) don't win every time out. The guys that have been barbecuing professionally for 30 years still tinker with how they do it.

I think there are certainly verified truths out there...I guess. But shit like "put on hot vs. cold" isn't one of them. Fat up vs. fat down isn't either. There are ways to do it and then there are ways I do it. There are a ton of people that do a better job than me and ultimately our NOLA friend may end up one of them. But there are still things that he can take away from my method if he so chooses and there are a bunch of things I can learn from other guys.

That's what makes it fun. Unless you're Myron Mixon. Then you have fun calling everyone else an asshole for not doing it exactly like you do. That or you accuse them of 'stealing' from you because they combined pepper and paprika and that's what you did last week.

I ****ing hate Myron Mixon.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371358)
I once turned an entire brisket - flat and point - into a massive pile of burnt ends. It was delicious.

Pretty sure I took a couple years of my life off, but those are the crappy years anyway.

How'd you manage that? I've never even attempted to make burnt ends from the flat because I never figured there'd be enough fat in there to really crisp them up.

I'll smoke a brisket, pull it when it's done, cut off the point, smoke it for another hour, chop it, put it back over a higher heat for another hour, then call it. I figured that would dry the hell out of the flat.