ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Your Best Smoked Brisket Recipe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269592)

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9371313)
I would worry less about your rub and more about how you're going to keep your kettle at 225 for a pound/pound and a half an hour.

Personally, if I were doing a brisket in a kettle, which I never would, but if it were some weird challenge on some bbq show or something, I would do it at a higher heat for less time.

Very little fuel.

Too many people try to use their vents on a kettle and it creates that bitter taste when they close their top vents. You really need to keep a fuller air-flow in a kettle grill, IMO.

You just don't use very much charcoal and you have to re-load more than you'd like.

It's certainly not my preferred method, but given a 22 inch kettle and some patience, it can be done.

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371309)
He has a kettle not a smoker. He's probably not going to be going low and slow.

It smokes great but it is still charcoal.

I guess I could a lesser amount of charcoal in it but I hear people on Pittmasters and other shows smoking brisket for like 14 hours.

I don't know how to accomplish that if I have to put it on overnight.

Maybe I should use lump charcoal.

Think that would maintain a lower temp than briquettes and burn longer?

I want it to be ready by game time.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371312)
FMB kinds spoke to that. Yes, it can. However, it's been my experience that it really doesn't at 225. That's a pretty low heat and more than anything, it just kinda liquifies.

As to the time - boy I don't have much to offer there and whatever I did would be wrong. I say don't ever expect anything to cook in less than 8 hours. I don't leave a probe in (I leave that on the grate to check the heat in the chamber), but every couple of hours I'll just hit it with the instant read to get a feel for where it is.

I was just about to say the best thing you can buy if you're going to get into BBQ is a wireless probe thermometer... Goes to show you how different people can do this kind of food and still come out with outstanding results.

ROFL

I use a probe. You lose a ton of heat every time you open the grill. I think I read somewhere you need to add 30 minutes to your cook time every time you open that lid. So I try to do it as little as possible.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371314)
Build the fire on one side, close down the vents, put a water pan on the other side with some water in it, brisket over the water pan, and he absolutely can go low and slow.

EEEEEEEEEEK!

To clarify what I'm sure FMB meant, if you close down the vents, ONLY CLOSE THE BOTTOM.

The top vent stays open at all times, regardless of temperature. If you really want to ruin a piece of meat, close up the top vent. That smoke will just sit on the meat and give you a creosote buildup from hell.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-01-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371291)
Thank you.

I enjoy the hell out of this board. It's the best one in the country.

Other boards put a 4 thread per day max so that's my benchmark.

I only put something up if I think you guys might be entertained or in this case can give me some good advice.

You're fine. Figured I'd give some friendly advice to slow down speed racer on the Create New Thread button.

DJ's left nut 02-01-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371324)
I was just about to say the best thing you can buy if you're going to get into BBQ is a wireless probe thermometer... Goes to show you how different people can do this kind of food and still come out with outstanding results.

ROFL

I use a probe. You lose a ton of heat every time you open the grill. I think I read somewhere you need to add 30 minutes to your cook time every time you open that lid. So I try to do it as little as possible.

Never found a probe that I trust enough. It seems like every one I've ever used has read temperature past just the tip so my readout is always much higher than the actual meat temp (because the ambient air is screwing with it).

But you're right, the less you can open the grill, the better.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371325)
EEEEEEEEEEK!

To clarify what I'm sure FMB meant, if you close down the vents, ONLY CLOSE THE BOTTOM.

The top vent stays open at all times, regardless of temperature. If you really want to ruin a piece of meat, close up the top vent. That smoke will just sit on the meat and give you a creosote buildup from hell.

Yes, of course. Should have mentioned, you actually want to position the top vent over the brisket to keep smoke flowing.

KCUnited 02-01-2013 06:05 PM

Somebody linked the virtual weber site, you can do a brisket in roughly 6 hrs (depending on the size) at 350+. I've done it, not on a kettle mind you, with the only noticeable difference being the bark, as foil is involved.

BlackHelicopters 02-01-2013 06:06 PM

Raw meat is always best. Why cook it?

candyman 02-01-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9371321)
It smokes great but it is still charcoal.

I guess I could a lesser amount of charcoal in it but I hear people on Pittmasters and other shows smoking brisket for like 14 hours.

I don't know how to accomplish that if I have to put it on overnight.

Maybe I should use lump charcoal.

Think that would maintain a lower temp than briquettes and burn longer?

I want it to be ready by game time.

Splurge for a weber smoky mountain, you wont regret it if you like smoked meat I promise.

Loneiguana 02-01-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371270)
. I think the lower temp gives you a little more time in the smoke and a slightly better smoke ring before you hit that 145ish range where it stops accepting the smoke flavor.

I had not heard of this before. Thank you.

Fire Me Boy! 02-01-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9371329)
Never found a probe that I trust enough. It seems like every one I've ever used has read temperature past just the tip so my readout is always much higher than the actual meat temp (because the ambient air is screwing with it).

But you're right, the less you can open the grill, the better.

Hell. I can't find the kind I've bought on Amazon. I've been through 4 or 5 of the one I have and love it.

candyman 02-01-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9371336)
Somebody linked the virtual weber site, you can do a brisket in roughly 6 hrs (depending on the size) at 350+. I've done it, not on a kettle mind you, with the only noticeable difference being the bark as foil is involved.

Yes you can, there are other recipes for brisket there...that's just the one I prefer. This would be better since you dont have a smoker: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

houstonwhodat 02-01-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9371314)
Build the fire on one side, close down the vents, put a water pan on the other side with some water in it, brisket over the water pan, and he absolutely can go low and slow.

Yeah that's the plan.

I have the Weber charcoal holders if I want to put the charcoal on each side and the brisket in the middle.

But I tried that on ribs before with a rib rack and I think I get too much heat on each side.

Definitely want to have some good burnt ends.

KCUnited 02-01-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9371345)
Yes you can, there are other recipes for brisket there...that's just the one I prefer. This would be better since you dont have a smoker: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

It's a good technique if you are in a pinch or on short notice. I still prefer 225 overnight, but I was surprised with the results of the HH brisket. I agree that it might be easier on a kettle than going low and slow. I would feel the need to babysit a kettle if trying to maintain 225 for 10+ hours.