ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto I'm considering a treadmill (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267760)

loochy 12-17-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9217940)
Only for the people that lack any sort of motivation. I'm on mine at least 4 days per week or more during the winter months and only on bad weather days during the warm months.

It's a great way to wake up and watch the morning news.

Or find a TV show series you like and watch an episode every morning and run for the duration of the episode (or 2 if it's a 30 minute show). I've used this to watch all Star Trek TNGs, Star Trek DS9s, and Breaking Bads.

loochy 12-17-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9217947)
And put a TV right in front of it. I wouldn't use mine unless I had a TV to watch.

This. If you focus on the tv you aren't so much thinking about being tired or bored and you aren't just sitting around while you watch tv. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Jenson71 12-17-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9217943)
Treadmills are boring, take the above advice or you will be hanging coats on it in 3 months

Who wants to be outside, witnessing the beauty of nature, when you could catch up on the Kardashians?

Really, for people who live in the midwest who want to run or walk, investing in a treadmill or club is a good idea. It's not like California. We have ice outside to worry about.

Buehler445 12-17-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9217913)
If you want to save money why not just buy a pair of nice walking shoes and stroll the block?

She did during the summer, but doesn't like the cold and definitely doesn't like to do it in the dark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9217926)
Go to an actual exercise equipment store. There is a big difference between health club quality equipment and those little flimsy things you see at academy/dicks/etc. You'll probably need to spend $1000 minimum.

:banghead:

probably good advice, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9217937)
look around and find a treadclimber. The fiance has one of those and its an ass kicker.

She talked about one of those, one of her girlie friends suggested that. Price tag makes me want to cry.

And if we get it bought, and she doesn't use it (particularly if it costs a ****ing grand). Don't ask where she is or why there is a fresh hole dug in the back 40.

Molitoth 12-17-2012 11:40 AM

Buy a used one at a garage sale or Craigslist.

Everyone I know, (including myself) barely uses the damn things.

Jenson71 12-17-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9217924)
good luck finding one she can move easily. Just sayin.

At least a durable one. They don't move easily. Unless you want to have it in a spare bedroom that can be cleared for the occasional guest, a good treadmill, I think, is supposed to just sit there. It's not like an ironing board.

Brock 12-17-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9217956)
Really, for people who live in the midwest who want to run or walk, investing in a treadmill or club is a good idea. It's not like California. We have ice outside to worry about.

Not so much lately.

Buehler445 12-17-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9217947)
And put a TV right in front of it. I wouldn't use mine unless I had a TV to watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9217949)
It's a great way to wake up and watch the morning news.

Or find a TV show series you like and watch an episode every morning and run for the duration of the episode (or 2 if it's a 30 minute show). I've used this to watch all Star Trek TNGs, Star Trek DS9s, and Breaking Bads.

That's the plan. That's why I want it to be mobile, so she can run it out in front of the TV and roll it back in the closet.

loochy 12-17-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9217966)
She did during the summer, but doesn't like the cold and definitely doesn't like to do it in the dark.

She talked about one of those, one of her girlie friends suggested that. Price tag makes me want to cry.

And if we get it bought, and she doesn't use it (particularly if it costs a ****ing grand). Don't ask where she is or why there is a fresh hole dug in the back 40.

You CAN spend less, but it'll be tiny and flimsy - it won't be like the ones you use at the gym. Just start shopping around IN PERSON and see what's out there in your price range/quality range and then start reading online reviews and such.

jd1020 12-17-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9217956)

I live in the midwest and you can probably count the days with 1 hand where you don't want to be outside in the winter. It's been like that for a looooooooooooong time now.

Jenson71 12-17-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9217976)
Not so much lately.

That is for sure. Still gets dark early enough.

I would also consider naming your treadmill. We call ours Bannister (in honor of Roger). If we don't use it, Bannister gets sad and starts plotting our deaths.

ndws 12-17-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9217966)

The treadclimber is like anything else. Its for sale on craigslist alot. Still costs a chunk though. I know I feel different after 40 minutes on that when compared to the same time on a standard treadmill.

Buehler445 12-17-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9217981)
I live in the midwest and you can probably count the days with 1 hand where you don't want to be outside in the winter. It's been like that for a looooooooooooong time now.

What the **** are you talking about?

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USKS0530

Tuesday is the last day I'd want to be outside. The high after that is 51 and there isn't a day the wind is going to be below 10 MPH. That's goddamn cold.

And she gets home at 6, an hour after it gets dark. It gets damn cold running in 25 degree weather.

Brock 12-17-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9218002)
And she gets home at 6, an hour after it gets dark. It gets damn cold running in 25 degree weather.

Not telling you what to do, or denigrating what you think of as cold, but after you've been running for 15 minutes, you're not cold anymore.

jd1020 12-17-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9218002)
What the **** are you talking about?

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USKS0530

Tuesday is the last day I'd want to be outside. The high after that is 51 and there isn't a day the wind is going to be below 10 MPH. That's goddamn cold.

:shrug:

Guess I'm just used to this "cold" weather you speak of. 40 and sunny is not what I call cold. Wednesday is the only day on that forecast that I look at and say nope, and that's because its a mix of rain and snow.