ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

frozenchief 02-07-2022 12:46 PM

I enjoyed the new Reacher series on Amazon Prime. I've read a few Reacher books on airplanes or beaches. This series seems pretty faithful to the series and is a lot better than the movie with Tom Cruise.

Good way to kill a few hours but it's admittedly not deep or sophisticated or nuanced or meaningful.

Coochie liquor 02-07-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16132343)
It's crazy good. That show keeps humming.

Gomorrah season 5 now on HBO Max.

We’re halfway through it. Good so far. But I think we should have watched The Immortal movie between seasons 2 and 3.

HemiEd 02-07-2022 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 16132522)
Were you guys aware this is a satire series?

ROFLROFLROFLThe mail box and the wine corks

Had almost finished the first episode and decided it was a chick flick and bailed.

Glad you made your post. thanksROFL

Miles 02-07-2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16133000)
I watched In From the Cold. Ex Russian Spy made a life in America and gets recruited to help the CIA. I wanted to like it. I really REALLY did. I loved the Americans, the chick looked hot. Production value looked good. Hoooo boy was it dumb. It did a few things right, I enjoyed most of the action, the acting of the 90's Berlin stuff was fairly compelling. I didn't hate the performance of the CIA guy and the IT guy.

But I was all the way out during the
Spoiler!
in the first episode. Hung in there hoping it would come around. I was pretty into it when she went

Spoiler!

But then

Spoiler!

I'm sure they want that thing to make a second season. I'm probably out.

I had pretty much the same experience. Tried the first episode and it was reminding me of show like Alias and not too bad. Then I got to the dumb as hell first spoiler…

Pepe Silvia 02-08-2022 03:19 AM

Anyone catch euphoria this week? I’m surprised Rue didn’t break an ankle.

BlackOp 02-08-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 16135507)
Anyone catch euphoria this week? I’m surprised Rue didn’t break an ankle.

I haven't...but season two has had some good directorial moments...another A24 series.

The Church scene was nicely executed...great use of music in this series.

Going to watch it tonight...

Buehler445 02-08-2022 05:56 PM

So is Euphoria a good watch? I thought it looked like a chick flick. Not a hard and fast position, just first glance scrolling by.

Baby Lee 02-08-2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16136615)
So is Euphoria a good watch? I thought it looked like a chick flick. Not a hard and fast position, just first glance scrolling by.

It's highly stylized and very youth drama, but there isn't a lot out there that can compete with its bluntness and occasional beauty.

Chick flick might fit it, but it's a little grimier and more raw than a 'girlie' show.

Did you see 'Kids' when it came out? Or the British show 'Skins' more recently.

Basically up to date exploration and dramatization of navigating the perils of being a modern teen, drinking, drugs, sex, parties, betrayals, trying to fit in, being ostrasized, ****ing up, paying the consequences, etc.

But what sets it apart is the execution. A lot of the drama is set by the cinematography and blocking. Some frames are literally a work of art. And the music and voiceovers and flashbacks and imagery are all very evocative.

It's heightened in much the same way being a near-adult teen is heightened, more dramatic, more consequential, more devastating, etc.

Buehler445 02-08-2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16136673)
It's highly stylized and very youth drama, but there isn't a lot out there that can compete with its bluntness and occasional beauty.

Chick flick might fit it, but it's a little grimier and more raw than a 'girlie' show.

Did you see 'Kids' when it came out? Or the British show 'Skins' more recently.

Basically up to date exploration and dramatization of navigating the perils of being a modern teen, drinking, drugs, sex, parties, betrayals, trying to fit in, being ostrasized, ****ing up, paying the consequences, etc.

But what sets it apart is the execution. A lot of the drama is set by the cinematography and blocking. Some frames are literally a work of art. And the music and voiceovers and flashbacks and imagery are all very evocative.

It's heightened in much the same way being a near-adult teen is heightened, more dramatic, more consequential, more devastating, etc.

I’ll give it a look. Thanks. I didn’t see Skins or kids.

I did, however enjoy (shamefully) Sex Lives of College Girls. That is assuredly much lighter than Euphoria, but maybe I won’t hate the subject matter as much as I’m anticipating.

Coochie liquor 02-08-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16136615)

Watch Good Girls instead.

BlackOp 02-09-2022 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16136673)
Did you see 'Kids' when it came out?

Yeah...I thought the same. Not as raw/dry as Larry Clark...but Kids two decades later...

It's not a "nice" show...might be more comparable to Spring Breakers....which was directed by Harmony Korine....who wrote Kids. That's a great movie too...

If you liked Kids...you would probably dig Mid90s...another A24 gem. Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross (NIN) did the soundtrack...

Baby Lee 02-09-2022 04:44 PM

Not looking up previous conversations on this, but I know they're somewhere in this thread, . . . anyway TWO WEEKS, fellas. . . .

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9qPNtQVkJok" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pepe Silvia 02-09-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 16136789)
Watch Good Girls instead.

Already have.

TwistedChief 02-09-2022 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16137987)
Not looking up previous conversations on this, but I know they're somewhere in this thread, . . . anyway TWO WEEKS, fellas. . . .

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9qPNtQVkJok" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave and lewdog got me hooked on this one.

Oh, boy. Never watched a season 'live' before.

TwistedChief 02-09-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 16134644)
We’re halfway through it. Good so far. But I think we should have watched The Immortal movie between seasons 2 and 3.

Wow. Saw your post yesterday and immediately watched The Immortal. Excellent. I actually think that's best watched after season 5 episode 1 when he finds out the truth.