ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Galaxy Note 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264202)

Titty Meat 09-24-2012 04:55 PM

Galaxy Note 2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dZxrpIC4ohg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Titty Meat 09-24-2012 05:06 PM

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2804/lebronoface.png

L.A. Chieffan 09-24-2012 06:15 PM

Oh schnap, quad core in the house

DaFace 09-24-2012 09:16 PM

I'm glad that there's a device coming out that will fit yet another niche in the market, but I think that's just way too big for me, personally.

Great Expectations 09-24-2012 09:24 PM

I'm in, is late November the new release date?

AustinChief 09-24-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8947626)
I'm glad that there's a device coming out that will fit yet another niche in the market, but I think that's just way too big for me, personally.

yeah me too, if I was a chick It'd be cool because I could carry it in my purse but that's just too big for a pocket... unless those giant pocketed pants come back into style.

Until the Google Glasses come out, I'll settle for a separate phone and tablet.

AndChiefs 09-25-2012 06:18 AM

Yeah definitely too big for a phone.

SAUTO 09-25-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8948274)
yeah me too, if I was a chick It'd be cool because I could carry it in my purse but that's just too big for a pocket... unless those giant pocketed pants come back into style.

Until the Google Glasses come out, I'll settle for a separate phone and tablet.

i wear regular pants and my note fits just fine in the pockets

Fish 09-25-2012 06:34 AM

Awesome stylus....

AustinChief 09-25-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8949060)
Awesome stylus....

it actually is, I still don't understand your hate, unless you have micro-sized fingers, you simply don't have the precision a stylus offers.

BWillie 09-25-2012 01:12 PM

I've played around w/ the original Note, that is virtually the same size and I don't understand why ppl think it's too big. Everybody said the EVO was too big. Everybody said the SII was too big. They said the SIII was too big. Turns out they weren't. I asked to try it out to fit into my pocket and it really felt no different in my pocket than my current EVO which is much smaller. I am DEFINITELY getting this phone when it comes out.

Fish 09-25-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8949610)
it actually is, I still don't understand your hate, unless you have micro-sized fingers, you simply don't have the precision a stylus offers.

For one, stylus precision is not necessary for a smart phone. That's kinda why the stylus went away back in the days of Palm devices. Second, it's not actually that precise. And from a few reviews on the Note2, people are complaining that the stylus is overcomplicated and an unnecessary gadget.

There's a reason why nearly every other mobile device has abandoned the sylus as a reliable input method.

Quote:

Samsung has labored to give its stylus many new, novel abilities, but they’re often app-specific and not that intuitive. From note-taking to pop-up windows to formulas, the S Pen and its myriad tricks are either a cornucopia of mobile functionality or a messy pile of gadgety “stuff” of limited usefulness.
http://mashable.com/2012/09/11/samsu...e-ii-hands-on/

Quote:

With the stylus, Samsung is trying to fix something that isn't broken.

And it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal if the stylus was as accurate as the old-school pen and paper method.

But it isn't.

When writing or doodling with the stylus, there's a very noticeable delay between when the tip touches the screen and when your marking appears. Yes, it's a lot more accurate than the credit card pads you sign your name on when paying at the supermarket. But the stylus still doesn't have that perfect, natural feeling of a pen and paper.

One way Samsung counters that problem is with a feature that converts your handwriting to plain text so you can copy it to an email or text message. But in my tests, it almost never worked properly. Pointless.

BWillie 09-25-2012 03:00 PM

You realize at no point do you have to use the stylus right? Having at least the option to use one in no way could possibly be a detriment to a phone.

KevB 09-25-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8950424)
You realize at no point do you have to use the stylus right? Having at least the option to use one in no way could possibly be a detriment to a phone.

True, I'm leaning toward this phone but the stylus has nothing to do with why. I may use it if I find an application for it, but I'm perfectly fine without it.

Fish 09-25-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8950424)

I know. That's why it's unnecessary. If it came anywhere close to working similar to pen and paper, it would be a great addition. But if that were the case, other models would include it. It's a silly gadget that doesn't work very well.

Great Expectations 09-25-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8950568)
True, I'm leaning toward this phone but the stylus has nothing to do with why. I may use it if I find an application for it, but I'm perfectly fine without it.

well stated, I just wish the release date was sooner, but this should be a big Christmas hit.

AustinChief 09-25-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8950159)
For one, stylus precision is not necessary for a smart phone. That's kinda why the stylus went away back in the days of Palm devices. Second, it's not actually that precise. And from a few reviews on the Note2, people are complaining that the stylus is overcomplicated and an unnecessary gadget.

Yuck, well that sucks that the implementation is such crap. MS on the other hand has Project Austin which seems like it would work perfectly with a stylus but suck with your fingers. (That sounded dirty. NO HOMO!) I'm excited about the promise of Project Austin but it sucks that it doesn;t have more of the Courier functionality ... of course it is just a test project at this point, if it's popular I expect them to make it much more robust. Of course, MS could totally screw it up, like they so often do.

http://media.ch9.ms/ch9/002a/7e3a6b4...ustin_high.mp4

SAUTO 09-25-2012 07:10 PM

I love the stylus. Swype is wonderful with it. It takes screencaps, it will write.

I use it quite often. You can draw and play games with it .
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat 09-25-2012 07:13 PM

I got an upgrade so i'm debating between the Note 2 and the S3

WV 09-25-2012 09:42 PM

The Note 2 looks a little big for me, but the quad core processor is intriguing.

KCFalcon59 09-25-2012 11:06 PM

Just got my son the S3 tonight. Best Buy had it on sale for $149 plus I had a 20 reward certificate so I got it for a nice price. This is a nice phone. Screen is absolutely beautiful. I have the iPhone 4S and I think the S3 display looks much better. Just finished setting it up and it was a breeze. Best Buy said they would give me $310 for my 4S and I am seriously considering getting it. However I will check out the Note 2 and iPhone 5 too.

WoodDraw 09-26-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

There's a reason why nearly every other mobile device has abandoned the sylus as a reliable input method.

I agree with this. For me it's a very bizarre phone, and a weird success story for Samsung. I could see it being useful on a tablet, but by all accounts, the 10.1 note is very weak.

BWillie 10-20-2012 08:36 PM

This beauty coming to sprint for sure this time on Oct 25.

KevB 10-31-2012 10:40 AM

Anybody get one of these yet? I went to the Sprint store last night to take a look. Guy pulled one out untethered so I could check how it fits in a pocket. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm leaning that direction currently, but not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Great Expectations 10-31-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9068369)
Anybody get one of these yet? I went to the Sprint store last night to take a look. Guy pulled one out untethered so I could check how it fits in a pocket. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm leaning that direction currently, but not quite ready to pull the trigger.

I'm getting one next Friday. Because of work I need to us ATT, I think they drop at the stores on 11/9.

Valiant 10-31-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

http://mashable.com/2012/09/11/samsu...e-ii-hands-on/

Please.. If apple did it, it would be the hottest thing in the market..

KevB 11-06-2012 09:21 PM

Got the Note 2 last night. Still learning about all it can do, but I love it so far. It's on the edge of being too big, but not quite. It fits fine in my jeans pockets, and holding it is ok. I have a slim case on order, so we'll see if that adds enough bulk to be a concern. But I'm like a kid in a candy store coming from an original EVO. It's very fast, the battery is great, storage is no problem and the screen shines.

Great Expectations 11-07-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9092796)
Got the Note 2 last night. Still learning about all it can do, but I love it so far. It's on the edge of being too big, but not quite. It fits fine in my jeans pockets, and holding it is ok. I have a slim case on order, so we'll see if that adds enough bulk to be a concern. But I'm like a kid in a candy store coming from an original EVO. It's very fast, the battery is great, storage is no problem and the screen shines.

Nice, please give an update on the case. I'm picking one up Friday and am leaning against the case right now.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-07-2012 09:10 AM

"OMG what are you doing?"

"Touching swords and transferring info through our dongs"

Titty Meat 11-08-2012 01:23 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/07/s...-multi-window/

Multi-Window is a key feature for the Samsung Galaxy Note II because it adds split-screen functionality to the device's 5.5-inch display -- allowing you to run two apps at the same time -- but unfortunately it has been noticeably absent on the phone's US versions. Until today, the carriers have remained oddly silent about if or when their model would even receive it. Two weeks after its initial release, Sprint's Note II will receive an update (L900VPALJC) that enables the missing feature, in addition to some minor enhancements to GPS, email and SMS. We're expecting to see the rollout start today, but Sprint advises us that it may take up to five days before it hits your particular unit. It's about time -- and we can only hope that the other carriers will follow up with updates fairly quickly. Head to the source link to find out how to install the update, as well as full details on the other fixes in the new build.

BWillie 11-08-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9092796)

I think the battery sucks...but I am on it all the time and used to a huge extended evo battery. I may want one for the note as well. I actually like thicker phones they are much easier to hold the thicker they are. One thing iphones originally got right

Valiant 11-09-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9099894)
I think the battery sucks...but I am on it all the time and used to a huge extended evo battery. I may want one for the note as well. I actually like thicker phones they are much easier to hold the thicker they are. One thing iphones originally got right

Can anyone expand on this? How tey think the battery life is? It is suppose to be 15hours which is one of he larger ones for smartphones.

KevB 11-09-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9100848)
Can anyone expand on this? How tey think the battery life is? It is suppose to be 15hours which is one of he larger ones for smartphones.

Every review I've read, and my own personal experience, argues the battery is one of the reasons to get the phone.

In addition, if you register your phone through Samsung, they're sending 50% accessories coupon. You can buy a 2nd battery for $25 (regular price is $50).

KCFalcon59 11-09-2012 06:00 PM

I really like the S3 but am seriously thinking about going with the Note 2. We're going to BYOD at work and I think this will be my best option.

hometeam 11-09-2012 06:34 PM

A friend of mine has the note, and while yea, its cool, its novel, etc. Its the size of a ****ing house. I could never use it from a business perspective. It looks like he has an ipad glued to the side of his head

SAUTO 11-09-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9102201)
A friend of mine has the note, and while yea, its cool, its novel, etc. Its the size of a ****ing house. I could never use it from a business perspective. It looks like he has an ipad glued to the side of his head

He must just be a little guy
Posted via Mobile Device

Great Expectations 11-09-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9102232)
He must just be a little guy
Posted via Mobile Device

Is he the guy from the burger King commercials with the tiny hands?

BWillie 11-10-2012 01:44 PM

I dont know why ppl are worried about it from the standpoint of how big it looks to your ear. Who cares? If you are using a home home or cordless phone they are all still bigger than the note and nobody says that is too big

Great Expectations 11-10-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9103535)
I dont know why ppl are worried about it from the standpoint of how big it looks to your ear. Who cares? If you are using a home home or cordless phone they are all still bigger than the note and nobody says that is too big

Most of my phone use to make calls is in my truck with Blue tooth. My Phone is for text emails and internet.

candyman 02-04-2013 05:04 PM

Just got mine, all I can say is WOW. This thing made me hard when I removed it from the box. Fits fine in my pocket, dont even notice a difference between it and my galaxy nexus. I highly recommend.

The Franchise 02-04-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9378287)
Just got mine, all I can say is WOW. This thing made me hard when I removed it from the box. Fits fine in my pocket, dont even notice a difference between it and my galaxy nexus. I highly recommend.

It's ****ing awesome. I'm still finding out shit that it does.

BWillie 02-06-2013 12:31 AM

Can anybody tell me how to do split screen? I want to be able to simultaneously surf the web and have half the screen be the internet and other half be youtube, skype or something. Im told it can do this but I have no idea.

PaulAllen 02-06-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9381672)
Can anybody tell me how to do split screen? I want to be able to simultIm told it can do this but I have no idea.

When you have the video playing you should see a square in the upper right corner, just tap it.

WilliamTheIrish 02-08-2013 12:25 PM

I have been looking. Not sure I want to do it, but I'm kinds digging this phone. For those of you that own the phone, would you be willing to tell what you paid? What carrier you're on?

I see on Amazon wireless that the price for one of these phones drops significantly from day to day. Today for Sprint people, it's 199$. Today for new Sprint customers, it's 99$. I've seen it as low 89$. The Verizon version is 149$ today.

I'm not sure I want to deal with a phone contract. So I'm hedging. Help me out.

The Franchise 02-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9387374)
I have been looking. Not sure I want to do it, but I'm kinds digging this phone. For those of you that own the phone, would you be willing to tell what you paid? What carrier you're on?

I see on Amazon wireless that the price for one of these phones drops significantly from day to day. Today for Sprint people, it's 199$. Today for new Sprint customers, it's 99$. I've seen it as low 89$. The Verizon version is 149$ today.

I'm not sure I want to deal with a phone contract. So I'm hedging. Help me out.

Sprint.

I paid $300 a little over a month ago.

My brother said that he just saw it at Best Buy for $200.

candyman 02-09-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9387393)
Sprint.

I paid $300 a little over a month ago.

From sprint? I checked a couple weeks ago and it was 300 from sprint then went to amamazon and got it for a hundred bucks less. Its been 199 on Amazon for quite some time according to some people at xda

The Franchise 02-09-2013 02:40 PM

Yeah....directly from Sprint.

BWillie 02-09-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9381708)
When you have the video playing you should see a square in the upper right corner, just tap it.

Still cant figure this out. Not working for me.

WilliamTheIrish 02-11-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9389618)
From sprint? I checked a couple weeks ago and it was 300 from sprint then went to amamazon and got it for a hundred bucks less. Its been 199 on Amazon for quite some time according to some people at xda

99$ if you're a new customer at Sprint. I found it for $199. I'm now waiting for Amazon wireless to drop it like they do for a day or two and use that at Best Buy for the price match.

C'mon people. I know there are more Note2 owners out there. Tell me what you like and don't like about it.

Great Expectations 02-11-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9390601)
Still cant figure this out. Not working for me.

You probably need to turn the split screen option on.

candyman 02-11-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9393441)
99$ if you're a new customer at Sprint. I found it for $199. I'm now waiting for Amazon wireless to drop it like they do for a day or two and use that at Best Buy for the price match.

C'mon people. I know there are more Note2 owners out there. Tell me what you like and don't like about it.

Ive been a customer for two years so I had to pay the $199.

Ive had it for a week or so. I love the screen, love the size...doesn't bother me at all in my pocket, and love how snappy it is. Has never lagged on me once. The only real complaint I have is for some reason when I reply to a text it starts me off with a "space". It doesn't do it if I go to text someone myself, only when I reply. Also swiftkey doesn't work right with it, half the time the word prediction and auto correct doesn't work so I'm forced to use the Samsung keyboard. I guess that's more the fault of the app than the phone. Not a big fan of the home button either, I wish it were a softkey. And I have never used the stylus once, and doubt I ever will. Besides these minor annoyances its a great phone.

EDIT: Oh yeah one more thing...I also cant stand how the enter key on the keyboard is so close to the "back" softkey. When im trying to leave a text Im constantly accidentally hitting the enter key and back at the same time, causing me to save a draft text. This is probably the biggest annoyance of all.

WilliamTheIrish 02-11-2013 07:50 PM

Down to $169.00 on amazon wireless today. I'll wait until it drops to 99.

PaulAllen 02-11-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9393628)
Ive been a customer for two years so I had to pay the $199.

Ive had it for a week or so. I love the screen, love the size...doesn't bother me at all in my pocket, and love how snappy it is. Has never lagged on me once. The only real complaint I have is for some reason when I reply to a text it starts me off with a "space". It doesn't do it if I go to text someone myself, only when I reply. Also swiftkey doesn't work right with it, half the time the word prediction and auto correct doesn't work so I'm forced to use the Samsung keyboard. I guess that's more the fault of the app than the phone. Not a big fan of the home button either, I wish it were a softkey. And I have never used the stylus once, and doubt I ever will. Besides these minor annoyances its a great phone.

EDIT: Oh yeah one more thing...I also cant stand how the enter key on the keyboard is so close to the "back" softkey. When im trying to leave a text Im constantly accidentally hitting the enter key and back at the same time, causing me to save a draft text. This is probably the biggest annoyance of all.

Download swype beta. Use it for about a week to get used to it, and then thank me for the rest of your life.

candyman 02-12-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9394967)
Download swype beta. Use it for about a week to get used to it, and then thank me for the rest of your life.

Is it different than the swype the phone comes with? Its hard to swype with one hand.

PaulAllen 02-12-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9396270)
Is it different than the swype the phone comes with? Its hard to swype with one hand.

Yes it's different, the stock keyboard Swype sucks.

Swype is made for one handed typing. I can't even fathom using two hands to type anymore.

WoodDraw 02-12-2013 01:28 PM

What version of android is the note on? I find the latest stock jb keyboard to be pretty decent.

WilliamTheIrish 02-12-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9396605)
What version of android is the note on? I find the latest stock jb keyboard to be pretty decent.

jellybean i think

Great Expectations 02-12-2013 04:08 PM

I like the jb better than swype. I like the numbers at the top and quicker access to punctuation marks.

candyman 02-12-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9396469)
Yes it's different, the stock keyboard Swype sucks.

Swype is made for one handed typing. I can't even fathom using two hands to type anymore.

Hard to do with your thumb is what I meant. At least for my fat thumbs

BWillie 02-13-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9393591)
You probably need to turn the split screen option on.

How du yu do that. Please halp.

WilliamTheIrish 02-20-2013 07:43 PM

So what great things are you doing with this phone?

I got one and I got it at the right price. So help me along fellas.

Great Expectations 02-20-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9398971)
How du yu do that. Please halp.

On mine it is on the top right of the screen after you "pull" down the settings screen.

HolyHat 03-06-2013 12:36 PM

Buying your phone from Amazon, or Best Buy or any third party retailer is a mistake.

You might get away with it once, but sooner or later they will **** your phone bill/service up.

I used to work for Verizon, and it was a nightmare trying to fix the problems these places caused.

STAY AWAY FROM AMAZON WHEN IT COMES TO PHONES!

The Franchise 03-06-2013 12:38 PM

What kind of case is everyone using with their Note 2?

HolyHat 03-06-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9470600)

Commuter Series Otterbox

candyman 03-06-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink (Post 9470594)
Buying your phone from Amazon, or Best Buy or any third party retailer is a mistake.

You might get away with it once, but sooner or later they will **** your phone bill/service up.

I used to work for Verizon, and it was a nightmare trying to fix the problems these places caused.

STAY AWAY FROM AMAZON WHEN IT COMES TO PHONES!

Got my Note 2 from Amazon, no problems at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9470600)

I like the slim cases, not a whole lot of protection but better than nothing and I cant stand bulky otterboxes in my pocket. Been using this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered one of these, still slim but looks like it will offer a little more protection: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great Expectations 03-06-2013 03:45 PM

I've been using this one http://www.amazon.com/Ionic-GUARDIAN...xy+note+2+case

It works ok, I like the protection of the otter box, but I hate the bulk.

KevB 03-06-2013 06:04 PM

I've been using this case, and like it quite a bit. It gives me back the kickstand that I lost with my EVO.

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-CSR3SSG.../dp/B00A45SF7G