ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Anonymous Scouts Take on Prospects from Combine (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270363)

NIUhuskies 02-24-2013 06:18 PM

Anonymous Scouts Take on Prospects from Combine

Great article from my buddy's dad who is a beat writer for the Packers. He's at the combine and is dropping info on scouts takes on a lot of the guys in the draft. Interesting read

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

Feb. 24, 2013 | (99) Comments

Based on interviews with executives in personnel for five teams, it is possible to narrow down just a little bit the pool of players who might be considered by the Green Bay Packers regardless of position if they exercise their current 26th selection in the first round of the NFL draft April 25.

Prospects are conservatively divided into three categories: As Good As Gone - barring negative developments, these players have no chance of reaching No. 26; Probably Gone - players who appear to have no better than a 50-50 chance of remaining on the board at No. 26; and The Next Level - players who figure to fall next.

The Packers have their own selection in each round. In addition, they are likely to be awarded at least one compensatory choice for losses suffered last spring in free agency.

Here's an early look at the players who figure to fit into these layers of the draft (underclassmen are denoted by asterisk).
AS GOOD AS GONE (10)

Luke Joeckel*, T, Texas A&M: 6 feet 6 inches, 306 pounds. Three-year starter at LT. "He's better than (Minnesota's) Matt Kalil," one scout said. "He's not yet (Cleveland's) Joe Thomas." Benefited from Aggies' quick-release passing game. "He's not a Hall of Famer, a flat-out Walter Jones type," another scout said. "But he's got size, he's athletic and he's only going to get better. He can play left tackle tomorrow. With this draft, you may see him go No. 1 (overall). I don't think there's a premier left tackle in the draft. There's not a quarterback, not a running back, not a receiver."

Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan: 6-7, 306. Proved himself against top-flight competition at the Senior Bowl and might have moved up to a top-10 selection. "Very good, but he was that before the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "He was a tall, thin guy (coming out of Rochester, Mich.). Is he a finesse or power player? He's more finesse than power but that doesn't mean he's not tough." Three-year starter. Only other scholarship offer was from Eastern Michigan, where he would have succeeded T.J. Lang at tackle.

Bjoern Werner*, DE, Florida State: 6-3, 266. German-born player with 23½ sacks in 41 games (27 starts). "He's good, but I don't see the special in him," one scout said. "Kind of a try-hard, good football player but nothing special." Played down but probably athletic enough to stand up as an outside linebacker for teams using the 3-4 defense. "He's not a dynamic pass rusher but he seems to get sacks," another scout said. "He comes off the ball hard but he's not special."

Barkevious Mingo*, DE, Louisiana State: 6-4, 241. Registered 14 sacks in 40 games (16 starts). "Very good," one scout said. "He played basically down but he can stand up easy. Very (tenacious). Fast. He won his state 400 meters or something. He is non-stop." Several scouts said he paled in comparison to Broncos OLB Von Miller. "I think he's too stiff at the end of the day," another scout said. "Top 25. He's got quick feet."

Damontre Moore*, DE, Texas A&M: 6-4½, 250. Finished with 26½ sacks in 38 games (23 starts). "He's a little bigger than Mingo," one scout said. "He played a lot of defensive end this year where in the past he has been a 3-4 outside linebacker. High sack guy. Doesn't run near like Mingo. He's a little bit stronger and a little bit stouter at the point. Just a puppy (20 years old)." Also rushed inside at times. "Dynamic, explosive athlete," another scout said. "Little undersized. Top 10. Different frame than (Jason) Pierre-Paul."

Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah: 6-2½, 311. Athletic big man compared to Kansas City's Dontari Poe, the 11th pick a year ago. "He's a better player than Dontari Poe coming out," one scout said. "He's quick-footed, strong, can run." Started 28 of 37 games. "He's the most overrated of the bunch (DTs)," another scout said. "He doesn't really generate pressure. He doesn't shed guys and make plays. Sometimes he disappears. Other times he surely dominates."

Sheldon Richardson*, DT, Missouri: 6-2½, 294. Played in junior college for two years before starting two seasons for Tigers. "He's an athlete playing D-tackle," one scout said. "He's really quick. He's a pass rusher and plays the run pretty well. He's got a little edge to him. He got a lot better this year." Finished with six sacks in 24 games (13 starts). "He plays D-tackle and they stand him up at linebacker sometimes, but he's got to be a D-end," another scout said. "Kind of an undersized athletic move guy. Just kind of a finesse athlete. Big-time character questions."

Sharrif Floyd*, DT, Florida: 6-2½, 297. "He's the best (defensive tackle) of the bunch," one scout said. "All he does is make plays." Played three years, finishing with 4½ sacks in 37 games (26 starts). "He could be a five-technique, a three-technique or line up on the shade (nose tackle)," another scout said. "He can rush the passer and play the run. Good all-around player."

Jarvis Jones*, OLB, Georgia: 6-2, 242. Spent two years at Southern California but had a neck problem and transferred. "He didn't pass the physical at SC," one scout said. "They don't know how they got him on the field at Georgia. Really, really raw as a player but he's so athletic as a rusher. He just wins because he's a great athlete. Little more athletic than Von Miller even. He plays a million miles an hour. He will be a 3-4 guy probably. The coverage stuff is still new to him." Finished with 28 sacks. "This year he played with some ankle and (leg) injuries and was nonexistent," another scout said. "In this league, you're not going to be 100%. This guy doesn't play hurt very well."

Dee Milliner*, CB, Alabama: 6-1, 198. Three-year starter with six interceptions. "Top 15 easy," one scout said. "He's got size, speed, athleticism, ball skills. Well-coached. Great body. He will start pretty early in his career." Will undergo surgery for a torn labrum in his shoulder after the combine. "I don't know if he has great, great burst," another scout said. "But for a nice-sized guy he's very fluid."
PROBABLY GONE (8)

Cordarrelle Patterson*, WR, Tennessee: 6-2, 216. Attended two junior colleges before playing just one season for the Volunteers, catching 46 passes for 778 yards (16.9-yard average) and five touchdowns. "He's up there," one scout said. "Pretty good hands. Pretty special. His play speed is unusual. If he doesn't (run 40 in under 4.4 seconds) it would be a shock to me."

Lane Johnson, T, Oklahoma: 6-6, 303. Former prep QB (says he could throw a football 70 yards) and TE. "Basically only a two-year player," one scout said. "He's pretty good but he's still raw." Never started a game until 2011. "He's an intriguing player," another scout said. "He kind of got better as the season went along. His stock is really starting to rise. The more film you watch, the more you like this kid. He's a second-round talent but there are shockers every year like (Philadelphia guard) Danny Watkins in the first (in 2011)."

Chance Warmack, G, Alabama: 6-2, 317. Some scouts say he's better than Steelers G David DeCastro from a year ago. "He's one of those guys like Will Shields that will just sit in there and play until they retire him," one scout said. "Country boy from Georgia. Just a tough guy. Loves football. Kind of a road-grader in the run game and a fire hydrant in the passing game." Had to be given IVs often because of his excessive sweating. "He scares the hell out of me," another scout said. "They tell you he can't play more than one position and you have to be careful in games what kind of adjustments you make. Not a real bright kid. He kind of reminds me of (Seattle's James) Carpenter. You see stuff that's impressive, then later in the game he starts to fade. For me, a guard has to be perfect to take in the first round. Because how much difference is there in that guy and a guy you take in the fourth?"

Matt Barkley, QB, Southern California: 6-2½, 227. Four-year starter with a 64.1% completion mark, 116 TD passes and 48 interceptions. "Somebody may take him to fit the West Coast offense because that's what he is," one scout said. "You put him on a team that's stretch the field, downfield throwing and he can't do that. He may be Kevin Kolb, those kind of guys. When he steps in the NFL his talent level may go down a little bit from SC." Arm strength is a huge concern. "(Agent) Tom Condon will do everything he can to artificially pump him up," another scout said. "I don't see it. I think he's got a weak arm."

Eddie Lacy*, RB, Alabama: 5-11, 231. Backed up Trent Richardson for two seasons before serving as featured back on another Crimson Tide national title team. "He's better than Trent Richardson," one scout said. "He goes 15 to 30. He's a freakin' powerful dude now." Rushed for 1,322 yards (6.5) and 17 TDs in 2012. "If you got a speed back and you got Eddie Lacy, you've got a great combination," one scout said. "He is a battering ram but I don't know if he stays healthy for 16 weeks. You better have another guy. You'd like somebody better in the passing game but he does catch the ball OK. Second round."

Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon: 6-6, 248. Played all over for the Ducks: up, down and flexed covering wide receivers. "He's probably as good an athlete as any of them up there and he's 6-6," one scout said. "(Like) Simeon Rice. He has the ability to rush the passer but they never really rushed him. When they did rush him he always had pressure or sacks." Finished with 14½ sacks in 45 games (25 starts). "Top 15 pick," one scout said. "He's an outside rusher for a 3-4 team or an end for a 4-3 team. He's just a big, long athlete that can bend and rush the passer."

Johnathan Hankins*, DT, Ohio State: 6-3, 320. Well-rounded inside player. "Naturally strong," one scout said. "(Sheldon) Richardson is a better player but I'd trust Hankins more. He's got a chance for the top 20." Two-year starter with five sacks. "I don't see him getting off blocks," one scout said. "I don't see him controlling blockers in the run game. Overrated."

Alec Ogletree*, ILB, Georgia: 6-3, 234. Started 21 of 30 games, missing the first four of 2012 on a drug suspension. Last week, he was arrested for a DUI. "I don't know how far that's going to push him back," one scout said. "He's a top-10 talent. If you're the Patriots, you're taking the guy. It would be just a gift. And that's what's going to end up happening." Can play any position in a 4-3 and either inside spot in a 3-4. "He's like (Kansas City's) Derrick Johnson," another scout said. "He will slip and slide around in there and make a bunch of plays. He's so athletic and he's big and can really run. He won't square up and hit you in the mouth. It's just the suspension and everything. You've got to worry about that."
THE NEXT LEVEL (37)

Keenan Allen*, WR, California: 6-2, 206. Not as fast as Cordarrelle Patterson but far more productive as a three-year starter. "Not as physically gifted as Justin Hunter but he has a lot of skill and is probably a more solid all-around receiver right now," one scout said. "Hunter's ceiling is much, much higher. Very smooth for a big man. In a normal draft he's probably a second-round pick. He probably will go in the first because of need at the position and lack of players."

Justin Hunter*, WR, Tennessee: 6-4, 196. Blew out his knee early in 2011 season but came back to catch 73 passes for 1,083 yards (14.8) and nine TDs last season. "Didn't have quite the year after the ACL but probably the most physically gifted of all the receivers," one scout said. "You go back and look at ('11) film, he's special. He didn't play well this year. He had drops. He didn't look comfortable on the knee. Long arms. Lean body. Ripped up. Outstanding athlete. He's really got good hands, too."

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: 5-8½, 174. Proclaimed himself the best all-around player in the draft Friday, and his numbers last season were impressive: 114 catches for 1,289 (11.3), 72 rushes for 643 (8.9), 15 punt returns (11.0) and 33 kickoff returns (24.6). "I don't like little guys but I love that guy," one scout said. "He can do the same stuff that (Randall) Cobb did in the slot. Plus, he's a dynamic punt and kickoff returner. That guy has never missed a game. He's a 'Holy (expletive)' player."

Robert Woods*, WR, Southern California: 6-0½, 201. Fourth-year junior and highly productive three-year starter. "He'll be right around Green Bay's pick," one scout said. Declared a year early after he started taking a back seat to ascending teammate Marquise Lee in 2012. Finished with 210 receptions for 3,218 yards (15.3) and 41 TDs.

Gavin Escobar*, TE, San Diego State: 6-6, 254. Excellent receiver. "He's probably gone by the time Green Bay picks," one scout said. "He's in that 20 to 35 range. He and (Tyler) Eifert are very similar in a lot of ways." Three-year starter caught 122 passes, averaged 13.5 and scored 17 TDs.

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: 6-5½, 250. Labeled as a "quasi-wide receiver" by one scout. "He's probably the top kid but he's not an all-around guy," another scout said. "I don't know how much he really likes football. I think he does it because it's something he's good at. He'd be more happy being a wide receiver. Good catcher. Athletic."

D.J. Fluker*, T, Alabama: 6-5, 339. Brawling RT often compared to Bills LT Cordy Glenn and Vikings RT Phil Loadholt. "He's an Aaron Gibson type," one scout said. "Very flexible. He's massive. Real long arms (36¾ inches) and a big, broad back. The quickness thing will get to him. That's my concern about him. He'll have some problems with speed rushers but I like his demeanor." Three-year starter. Vocal leader, constantly challenges teammates. "His (expletive) is bigger than a coffee table," another scout said. "He's got huge legs. He doesn't have much fat on him at all and he's got some nastiness to him. He's a high-energy player. He's jumping around when people score. You love to see that out of a big man."

Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina: 6-2, 311. Compared by one scout to Guy McIntyre, a great 49ers guard who finished with Green Bay in 1994. "Great athlete," one scout said. "Can make all the blocks. Problem is the guy played at 280, 285 pounds. He has played bigger. You watch him move, especially for a zone team, he'll be right up their alley."

Travis Frederick*, C-G, Wisconsin: 6-4, 312. Grew up in Sharon, Wis., and played at Big Foot High School. "If people don't like him they're crazy," one scout said. "He's better than (Kevin) Zeitler and way better than (Peter) Konz. Waaay better. He'll be a better guard than center but he can play center. He's a bull. Smart. When he played against Oregon State he looked very ordinary but then they got rid of the coach (O-line coach Mike Markuson). He's better than (David) DeCastro." Another scout described him as a third-round talent. "When you take a guy in the first round you're hoping for better (than Frederick)," he said. "Ideally, he is more suited to a power-scheme offense than a zone scheme."

Menelik Watson*, T, Florida State: 6-5, 310. Born in England. Started just one season for Seminoles after stints at two other schools. Played basketball at Division I Marist (N.Y.) before surfacing at a junior college. "He's probably the best athlete of the bunch," one scout said. "For a guy his size I've never seen somebody with that much lateral agility, speed and explosive quickness. He played soccer and basketball and he was a boxer, so he's got great hands. He's got all the talent in the world but he only played one year of major-college football. I think somebody will take a shot on him early, maybe in the first."

Brian Winters, G-T, Kent State: 6-4, 320. Started all 50 games at LT. "He's one that O-line coaches are going to fall in love with," one scout said. "They'll see how nasty he is. He will be inside in the NFL and he won't have to play on the edge anymore. He has enough athleticism to play in there. He goes in the second round without question." Wherever he plays, there will be concerns about his relatively short arms (32¾).

Kyle Long, T-G, Oregon: 6-6, 313. On Thursday, he spoke of his drug addiction that derailed his career as a fire-balling left-handed pitcher at Florida State. The son of Raiders Hall of Fame DE Howie Long. Returned to football in 2010-'11 at a junior college, then started five of 11 games for the Ducks. "If he was pristine off the field it wouldn't matter," one scout said. "He's just not a good player." Other teams see potential. "The crazy stuff off the field is basically a young kid finally with a little freedom who is going to rebel against two overbearing parents," another scout said. "He says, 'Hey, take notice of me. You've been taking notice of Chris (his older brother) so long, I'm going to act up to get your attention.' And he went to the extreme and his parents (yanked) him out of Florida State and checked him into rehab and he cleaned himself up. He went to the dark side and he is out of the dark side. He's probably a better guard than tackle but he's really talented."

Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia: 6-2½, 218. Three-year starter with completion mark of 67.4%, 98 TDs and 21 picks. "He'd be the only (quarterback) I'd consider," one scout said. "He's really poised. Really good vision. He's not one of those system guys who just chucks it to the first guy. He can see the field and read defenses. He's athletic. He's gotten a lot better, too, and should get a lot better in the pros." Another scout compared him to Akili Smith, a draft bust from 1999. "That will end the conversation," that scout said.

E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State: 6-4½, 237. Fifth-year senior and two-year starter. "He probably looked the best of all of them in the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "He's a big guy, can move around, has a pretty good arm." Another scout described him as a "leader of men." Said a third scout: "No chance. He's just not a quarterback. No vision. No feel. Can't read defenses. Everything you need, he can't do it."

Mike Glennon, QB, North Carolina State: 6-7, 225. Two-year starter who took over for Russell Wilson. "He's got a great arm but he's a statue," one scout said. "You'd have to protect really good. I ain't crazy about him. I'd be scared to take him there (first round)." Compared to Baltimore's Joe Flacco because of his arm strength. "I think he's Ichabod Crane," another scout said. "He's a statue but he throws a nice ball. He has no foot skills."

Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin: 5-10½, 214. Came across as extremely self-assured in session with reporters Friday. "I think he has first-round ability," one scout said. "Tough. There's some (character) things you've got to check out but I know one thing: He's productive. He'll run fast enough. I'd rather have a guy that scores touchdowns than one that doesn't and runs 4.5." Rushed for a record 77 TDs to go with 5,140 yards (5.6). "I get mixed reviews on his person," another scout said. "He's got all that with him, too. But I do feel he is (a starter). I think he can catch. He's got great feet and great vision. He can make people miss." Said a third scout: "Workhorse. You'd be happy with him. He's not going to game change or anything but he will be a good NFL back."

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, Brigham Young: 6-5, 271. Track athlete from Ghana who also tried basketball at BYU. Played three years of football for Cougars but never really got on the field until 2012 (13 games, nine starts). "He could be a difference-maker," one scout said. "He makes more plays than 'JPP' (Jason Pierre-Paul) did (at South Florida). He's a freak. You can put him wherever you want." Had big week at the Senior Bowl. "He will blow out the combine and get overdrafted," another scout said. "Everybody will compare him to Jason Pierre-Paul because he didn't play and all that stuff, but they're reaching. This guy never even played football. If he goes in the top 10, two years from now he won't be doing anything. You'll see. He has no idea how to play. He can run fast but that's about it."

Sam Montgomery*, DE, Louisiana State: 6-3, 262. Bounced back from reconstructive knee surgery in 2010 to put up 19 sacks in three-year career. "He is really a hard-playing dude," one scout said. "He's real strong at the point. He's got strong arms and strong hands. Sheds blockers. He's got some pass rush. He gets trash sacks, which are great. He's not a first-round talent but he may go there." On the stiff side and might be too small to serve as a base DE. "He'll be a situational pass rusher," another scout said.

Datone Jones, DE, UCLA: 6-4, 283. Made himself a ton of money rushing the passer in one-on-ones at the Senior Bowl. "More of a second-round guy," one scout said. "I don't know if he can be a five-technique." Fifth-year senior who sat out 2010 with a broken foot. Had 13½ sacks in 51 games (43 starts).

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas: 6-4½, 264. Three-year starter with 22 sacks. "He's perplexing to me," one scout said for a 3-4 team. "I don't know if he's really big enough to be a five-technique the way we play it and I don't know if he's athletic enough to stand up. I don't know where he plays in a 3-4." Probably fits best as a 4-3 DE. "He's a fraud," another scout said. "I don't see any twitch. I don't see any production. I don't see any strength. He's got to be a five-technique."

William Gholston*, DE, Michigan State: 6-6, 281. Played better in 2011 than in '12. "As a freshman and sophomore you saw a lot of signs of dominance," one scout said. "He's a big man and carries it pretty well. He could evolve into a pass rusher with size and athleticism. He plays pretty hard. It looks like he's kind of out of shape. Maybe he's too heavy. Maybe it was not having Jerel Worthy taking the pressure off him (in 2012). I don't see how he goes out of the first round because he's just so big." His cousin, Vernon, was a first-round bust in 2008 with the Jets. "This guy might be a little better player but he's still just a mid-round guy," another scout said.

John Jenkins, DT, Georgia: 6-3½, 346. Mountainous man. "At Georgia, they say you will not meet a better kid," one scout said. "He's a giant but he moves his feet pretty well. His problem is he doesn't make a lot of plays. He's athletic enough to make plays. He just doesn't." Started 20 of 27 games for Bulldogs after a junior-college career. "Really talented guy," another scout said. "Just soft at times and inconsistent effort."

Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina: 6-2½, 313. Started all 45 games, including 20 in junior college. "He's actually quicker than all the other top guys," one scout said. "He's not a star but he's an interesting cat. He comes from nothing. He could be a late first-round pick." Had 8½ sacks for the Tar Heels. "He's not great at anything but he's really good at everything," another scout said. "Really tough. Plays with injuries. He just kind of sits in there and battles and makes plays. He's not a wow kind of guy. He makes a play or two in every game that means something."

Kawann Short, DT, Purdue: 6-3, 299. Compared by some scouts to Green Bay's Jerel Worthy. "You watch one game and he stinks, then another game and he was good and you really got to like him," said one. "He's got ability, though. I really don't know what his problem is." Started all 50 games and had 19½ sacks. "He can whip people when he feels like it," another scout said. "He's got a lot of talent and he's got a lot of lazy in his play. He can rush the passer and play the run."

Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame: 6-2, 255. Compared by one scout to St. Louis MLB James Laurinaitis. "A better version of that," he said. "Not a great athlete. Try-hard. Smart. This was the first year he really got himself in shape. Some of his teammates think he's kind of a phony." The scout made his comment in early December before his bizarre online love relationship was uncovered as a hoax. "He is a tad immature," another scout said last week. "When he comes in the locker room he is going to get abused for about the first month. For a (middle) linebacker you would want him to be more physical and make more plays against the run. He got smoked (against Alabama). He's not explosive but he's got instincts like (Brian) Urlacher."

Kevin Minter*, ILB, Louisiana State: 6-1, 245. Fourth-year junior and two-year starter. "Probably a second-round pick," one scout said. "He's a strong inside for a 3-4 team or a 4-3 'Mike.' He's got some (athletic) limitations but he is tough."

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State: 6-1, 185. Started 45 of 51 games. "Really good football player," one scout said. "He's got length. Not a thick guy by any means but real long arms. Built like a corner. He has good ball skills. Even for a long, lanky guy he has pretty good quickness. Not afraid to hit. Loves football. Quiet kid." Many scouts question his speed, so his 40 time on Tuesday is much anticipated. Intercepted 16 passes.

Xavier Rhodes*, CB, Florida State: 6-1, 217. Three-year starter with eight picks. "Big and physical," one scout said. "Instinctive. Lacks top-end speed. Could be a safety." Played boundary corner for Seminoles but won't have that advantage in the NFL. "He is a press corner and will be a second-round pick," another scout said.

Logan Ryan*, CB, Rutgers: 6-0, 190. Fourth-year junior and two-year starter. "He's OK," said one scout. "Solid. Second-rounder." Widely admired for his tackling and physical nature.

Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: 5-11, 190. Started 47 of 50 games. "By his Senior Bowl he will get up in there," one scout said. "That may be in the first. He's not as good as his brother but he's pretty good." Marcus Trufant has been a Pro Bowl cornerback for Seattle since 2003. "Nice little player," another scout said. "He's quick. He's OK."

Sanders Commings, CB-S, Georgia: 6-0, 223. Fifth-year senior made 35 starts in 54 games. "Like (Xavier) Rhodes," one scout said. "He's a big guy and plays the boundary (corner) a lot. Probably be a free safety. Pretty good player. Thing that bothers me about him, how fast is he?" Suspended for first two games of 2012 after a campus incident involving alcohol and domestic violence.

David Amerson*, CB, North Carolina State: 6-2, 194. Led the nation with 13 interceptions in 2011before adding five last season. "He's got all kind of talent in the world but he doesn't use it all the time," one scout said. "He's disappointing. Somebody will jump on him, though, because he can run."

Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas: 6-1, 218. It's a very good year for safeties but no one can predict which one will be selected first. "He is different than most Texas guys," one scout said. "He's tough and physical. He will hit you, but he's got cover ability, too. I don't think he will run great. It will be good enough. Maybe the lack of 40 time keeps him out of the first." Had just five picks in 50 games. "They played him in the slot," another scout said. "He's a safety cover guy, not a corner cover guy even though he plays on the slot."

Eric Reid*, S, Louisiana State: 6-2, 212. Two-year starter with six interceptions. "He's probably the best," one scout said. "Big and instinctive. He's got a little stiffness to him." Several personnel men questioned the physical nature of his play. "I don't think he's a big hitter," said one. "I'm not sure if he has deep safety awareness. I don't expect him to be great in man (coverage) but in zone people get behind him all the time. He bothers me, he really does. But he looks the part."

Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International: 6-0, 209. Started 45 of 50 games and registered seven picks. Moved up significantly after impressive week at the Senior Bowl. "I had him in the fourth on the school call," one scout said. "You can't jump a guy to the second round but somebody will. He's probably going to run pretty well. He's a terrific kid. He will hit you."

Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State: 6-1, 210. Started all 25 games in 2010 and '12 but sat out '11 with an ankle injury. "He's got really good ball skills," one scout said. "He's very athletic. He's a fine football player." Picked off 13 passes. "He's a tough guy," another scout said.

Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame: 6-2, 215. In 2011, played alongside Harrison Smith. "He's a poor man's Harrison Smith," said one scout. "Coverage will be the question. He's a little stiff. He does OK in zone. He's an interesting guy at the right price. I'd rather roll with Zeke Motta, who isn't as good athletically as (Georgia's) Bacarri Rambo, but at least I can trust him." Aggressive tackler.

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/packers...192799541.html

DaKCMan AP 02-24-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIUhuskies (Post 9433609)
E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State:[/b] 6-4½, 237. Fifth-year senior and two-year starter. "He probably looked the best of all of them in the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "He's a big guy, can move around, has a pretty good arm." Another scout described him as a "leader of men." Said a third scout: "No chance. He's just not a quarterback. No vision. No feel. Can't read defenses. Everything you need, he can't do it."

Is that 3rd scout DaKCMan AP?

NIUhuskies 02-24-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9433784)
Is that 3rd scout DaKCMan AP?

yeah i always thought it was interesting he was getting so much draft pub, i know a majority of the FSU fans hated him and couldnt wait for him to leave.

mcaj22 02-24-2013 07:50 PM

Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: 5-8½, 174. Proclaimed himself the best all-around player in the draft Friday, and his numbers last season were impressive: 114 catches for 1,289 (11.3), 72 rushes for 643 (8.9), 15 punt returns (11.0) and 33 kickoff returns (24.6). "I don't like little guys but I love that guy," one scout said. "He can do the same stuff that (Randall) Cobb did in the slot. Plus, he's a dynamic punt and kickoff returner. That guy has never missed a game. He's a 'Holy (expletive)' player."

this dude is the swiss army knife we need

Crush 02-24-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9434253)

this dude is the swiss army knife we need

If we trade for Alex Smith, then we need to take Austin or Patterson no. 1 overall.

Deberg_1990 02-24-2013 08:41 PM

Geno Smith reminds someone of Akili Smith? I thought Akili was a 1 year wonder?
Posted via Mobile Device

NIUhuskies 02-24-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9434641)
Geno Smith reminds someone of Akili Smith? I thought Akili was a 1 year wonder?
Posted via Mobile Device

i thought the same thing... only comparison of Geno and Akili is their skin color