ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music My daughter wants to play guitar... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269236)

Rausch 01-24-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347519)
If she plays righty, I don't have to buy a guitar. I have a half dozen of them.

But she's NOT a rightie, DAD!:mad:

King_Chief_Fan 01-24-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347516)
The nut is grooved for right-handed strings.

You can't just turn it upside down.

:doh!:doh....

Nirvana58 01-24-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347519)
If she plays righty, I don't have to buy a guitar. I have a half dozen of them.

You can buy a cheap left handed guitar for less than $100 bucks at a pawn shop. A decent learning guitar to see if she will stick with it before buying her a better one. In the end I would leave it up to her. Go to a guitar shop and have her play a left handed guitar and a right handed one then let her decide. I just know from personal experience I quit playing out of frustration when trying to learn right handed. There is a steep learning curve for playing the guitar and the first year is more about perseverance. (very easy to get frustrated)

htismaqe 01-24-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9347522)
Spanish Classical. She should learn to read music, it will help open doors later (playing piano, violin, etc)

She's been playing the piano for just under a year...

Sorter 01-24-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347609)

Excellent.

I suck at piano but personally, there isn't a finer musical instrument in the world.

Rausch 01-24-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347609)

So she does have the desire and talent.

Why would you want to hamper that?

It's your daughter.

If you have 8 she could play you have 1 you could sell.

Yes?

:evil:

Dayze 01-24-2013 12:11 PM

I started out playing Bluegrass with my dad. So learned a TON of picking techniques / became very good at it. so once I got into the legatto it was even better.

Nirvana58 01-24-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9347618)
Excellent.

I suck at piano but personally, there isn't a finer musical instrument in the world.

Agreed. I would love to learn the piano one day. Plus knowing the piano will greatly help her with guitar. Basically the same layout but guitar is built in octaves

htismaqe 01-24-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 9347568)
You can buy a cheap left handed guitar for less than $100 bucks at a pawn shop.

The cheapest lefty I've found was $139. Believe it or not, there aren't as many lefty sticks out there as you think. Our guitar center has about 300 used guitars - they had FOUR lefty and all were over $400.

I've looked online but I'm wary with guitars - I've gotten burned on that before. I want to play it before I buy it.

Quote:

Go to a guitar shop and have her play a left handed guitar and a right handed one then let her decide.

That's actually a very good idea.

Quote:

I just know from personal experience I quit playing out of frustration when trying to learn right handed. There is a steep learning curve for playing the guitar and the first year is more about perseverance. (very easy to get frustrated)

That's not unique. That's inherent to playing the guitar, regardless of which hand is dominant. ;)

htismaqe 01-24-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9347628)
So she does have the desire and talent.

Why would you want to hamper that?

It's your daughter.

If you have 8 she could play you have 1 you could sell.

Yes?

:evil:

Are you suggesting I need to SACRIFICE?

You shut your whore mouth!

Rausch 01-24-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9347669)
Are you suggesting I need to SACRIFICE?

You shut your whore mouth!

LMAO

Sorter 01-24-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 9347635)
Agreed. I would love to learn the piano one day. Plus knowing the piano will greatly help her with guitar. Basically the same layout but guitar is built in octaves

I really hope that one day I can just dedicate a solid 3 months to piano.

It is truly sad that we don't have many huge names in the music industry that utilize piano currently AFAIK (granted you've got your Ben Folds, Regina Specktor, Rufus Wainwright) but nothing that compares to Billy Joel or Elton. Bummer.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9345644)
I have 3 guitars she could use but they're all standard, right-hand configurations and she's left-handed.

My wife thinks I should teach her to play right-handed. Since she's never played before, it won't be like she'd have to unlearn anything.

However, I'm concerned that I could be potentially limiting her later on because she might not ever fully develop the dexterity she might have otherwise developed if I had just gotten her a left-handed guitar to start with.

For what it's worth, I took a guitar class in college, and I really felt hampered by being forced to play right handed. I'm very much left hand dominant, and I just didn't have the dexterity in my right hand to play well at all. I really struggled.

htismaqe 01-24-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9347681)
I really hope that one day I can just dedicate a solid 3 months to piano.

It is truly sad that we don't have many huge names in the music industry that utilize piano currently AFAIK (granted you've got your Ben Folds, Regina Specktor, Rufus Wainwright) but nothing that compares to Billy Joel or Elton. Bummer.

Sad? That music is LAME, man.

;)

Ace Gunner 01-24-2013 12:47 PM

you are setting her up for fail. if she wants to play a lefty get her a cheapo lefty guitar and let her have fun.