ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Falling skies TNT (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=246306)

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-19-2011 05:19 PM

Falling skies TNT

Tonight the Pilot 2 hours long looks good .....

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SjroVVhe8G0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SjroVVhe8G0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

keg in kc 06-19-2011 06:09 PM

Early word on it is somewhat positive. We'll see. It should at least be better than crap like V and The Event.

Mr. Laz 06-19-2011 06:13 PM

I got a feeling that it's going to be a bit like Jericho meets Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Deberg_1990 06-19-2011 06:41 PM

How long is it? Anyone know? Is it a series or miniseries?

keg in kc 06-19-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 7705790)
I got a feeling that it's going to be a bit like Jericho meets Sarah Conner Chronicles.

I've seen Jericho mentioned in a few of the reviews, like it's closer to Jericho than it is to something like BSG. Feel good leave your brain at the door kind of show rather than something that pushes the envelope. Which is fine.

keg in kc 06-19-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7705827)
How long is it? Anyone know? Is it a series or miniseries?

Full series. 10 episodes maybe?

milkman 06-19-2011 06:45 PM

No commentary on this series specifically until I actually watch an episode, but it really seems like the former big 3 networks spend money on crap for the most part, and all these cable networks are spending on much better shows.

Deberg_1990 06-19-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7705831)
No commentary on this series specifically until I actually watch an episode, but it really seems like the former big 3 networks spend money on crap for the most part, and all these cable networks are spending on much better shows.

Yes this....

The Big 3 Networks tend to play it safe......the cables networks can take more chances. They also dont have to worry about ratings with advertisers so much (although that didnt help the excellent "Terriers") and can give series time to build an audience and find its footing.

Molitoth 06-19-2011 06:53 PM

Gonna watch this.

keg in kc 06-19-2011 07:50 PM

This would be a whole lot better if the music wasn't so terrible.

rocknrolla 06-19-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 7705837)
Gonna watch this.

That's what I'm talkin bout! I have Never been so exited for a show Eva!
:thumb::thumb:

milkman 06-19-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7705893)
This would be a whole lot better if the music wasn't so terrible.

I haven't even noticed the music.

The show has a premise with a promise, but to this point, I am not overly impressed.

Perhaps when some obvious questions are answered, it'll start to grow.

keg in kc 06-19-2011 08:58 PM

It could have been much worse, that's about the highest praise I can offer. Not awful, but it'll need to improve to get a series record nod on my DVR.

milkman 06-19-2011 09:18 PM

I watched this instead of "In Plain Sight".

I won't be doing that again.

blazzin311 06-20-2011 01:26 AM

To each our own I guess. I kinda liked the series premiere. It reminded me to an extent of The Walking Dead series on AMC. The Librarian didn't quite suck as bad as I thought he would. I also thought the guy who played Pope did a damn good job as well. I'll be interested to see where it goes from here.

Molitoth 06-20-2011 07:58 AM

I like the plot... (I was a big War of the Worlds fan)
I like the main character Tom.... he's a likable character and well played so far.

What I didn't like was that some scenes were far too jumpy. Like the scene where they go to the armory to scout it.... the little 13 year old kid makes a mistake in trying to protect his dog, then the scene just drops off a cliff and the next clip you are instantly in someones bedroom the next day. It made me wonder if they had messed up the viewing, or if the kid was dreaming, or if it was a flashback or something.

There were a couple scenes like that. But overall, I will be continuing to watch this until it gets dumb.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-20-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7705831)

Agree 100%. For the most part, nothing on those networks is worth a shit. Very lame comedies, sitcoms, and garbage reality shows.

kcxiv 06-20-2011 06:42 PM

i seen half of it, then my neice wanted to watch Car's, so i didnt get to finish it, but i will later today. So far i was ok with it. Will continue.

Baby Lee 06-20-2011 06:47 PM

To be perfectly honest, simply having Jessy Schram and Sarah Carter onscreen will probably suffice for a while.

notorious 06-21-2011 07:01 AM

Meh.

bevischief 06-21-2011 08:01 PM

I will watch a few more before forming a opinion at this point.

007 06-22-2011 01:41 AM

Well, it didn't bore me.

blaise 06-22-2011 06:45 AM

It was ok. I just didn't like all of the set up stuff.

"Hey, this is where we have a discussion where I tell you I was a history professor."

"This is another discussion about me being a history professor, in case you missed the first one."

"This is the discussion where we show the relationship between the doctor and the professor."

"Here's where we set up the conflict with the grizzled Army guy."

"Now, here's the part where the kid skateboards, and we all share a poignant moment."

Hopefully they got that out of the way.

AndChiefs 06-22-2011 08:51 AM

I'd try watching the pilot but it's not on their website. Oh well.

Rausch 06-22-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 7709229)
I'd try watching the pilot but it's not on their website. Oh well.

Plan to look for it as well...

notorious 06-22-2011 04:15 PM

Zero creativity.

It looks as if it going to be a clone of all the alien invasion movies.

It better pick up, because it is not even mediocre yet.

unlurking 06-23-2011 04:57 AM

Episode 2 and they go straight to a typical tv series plot line of man vs. man, using aliens only in a cameo role. I hope this doesn't turn into a soap opera with aliens as an occasional plot device.

Same camp as everyone else, will have to wait a few more episodes. Has potential, but I get the feeling it will be removed from my DVR list in a few weeks.

blaise 06-23-2011 05:06 AM

The survivors seem to walk around in the open a lot.

notorious 06-23-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7711103)
The survivors seem to walk around in the open a lot.

That's one of my problems with the show. Aliens can't hit shit, it takes their aiming system 2-3 seconds to even get a shot, and the "skidders" aren't even armed. :facepalm:

Horrible. A superior alien race should be able to kill a human at least as efficiently as we kill each other.

blaise 06-23-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7711145)
That's one of my problems with the show. Aliens can't hit shit, it takes their aiming system 2-3 seconds to even get a shot, and the "skidders" aren't even armed. :facepalm:

Horrible. A superior alien race should be able to kill a human at least as efficiently as we kill each other.

Yeah, I didn't know if they were trying to drop a hint when the criminal gang leader asked why the robots have two legs and the "skidders" have six. Like, maybe there's another alien being that created the robots and gets the skidders to do their bidding somehow. I thought the same thing, "Why wouldn't the skidders have a gun?" Maybe because the aliens in charge don't want to arm them for fear of uprising.
But I might be giving the show too much credit.

notorious 06-23-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7711160)
Yeah, I didn't know if they were trying to drop a hint when the criminal gang leader asked why the robots have two legs and the "skidders" have six. Like, maybe there's another alien being that created the robots and gets the skidders to do their bidding somehow. I thought the same thing, "Why wouldn't the skidders have a gun?" Maybe because the aliens in charge don't want to arm them for fear of uprising.
But I might be giving the show too much credit.

That is the other predictable factor. Army ants are used by the ruling class, similar to how the kids are being controlled.

Next thing you know, they are going to use the kids as their fighting force, not only because of declining number of skidders but to also demoralize the resistance.

Predictable.

unlurking 06-24-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7712222)
That is the other predictable factor. Army ants are used by the ruling class, similar to how the kids are being controlled.

Next thing you know, they are going to use the kids as their fighting force, not only because of declining number of skidders but to also demoralize the resistance.

Predictable.

My first guess was that the kids were operating the Mechs. Make the conquered people control themselves, as you mentioned. Probably wrong, but really not interested enough in the show to dig deeper yet.

blaise 06-24-2011 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7712222)

Predictable.

I wondered if they would make the humans have contact with the skidders at some point. When they killed one and said, "I wonder what it's thinking now," I thought, "Oh no, I bet they catch one and communicate with it and it becomes friends with them."

Molitoth 06-24-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

"Oh no, I bet they catch one and communicate with it and it becomes friends with them."
Missa jar jar ET. Missa come to Earth to destroy you.

notorious 06-24-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7712452)
I wondered if they would make the humans have contact with the skidders at some point. When they killed one and said, "I wonder what it's thinking now," I thought, "Oh no, I bet they catch one and communicate with it and it becomes friends with them."

Now that's creative and it would be one hell of a twist.

unlurking 06-25-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7713474)
Now that's creative and it would be one hell of a twist.

Yuck. We've seen enough of this kind of stuff. It's not at all creative.

What's creative is an alien race that is NOT bipedal for once. Let's not ruin this by humanizing them.

Sure-Oz 06-25-2011 10:56 AM

Haven't watched it yet, dvred it, sounds liek i should just delete it

notorious 06-25-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 7714120)
Haven't watched it yet, dvred it, sounds liek i should just delete it

Watch it. It is Sci-Fi, and it's not horrific. That alone warrants a viewing.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-26-2011 11:30 AM

Lets hope tonights is alittle better...

notorious 06-26-2011 09:14 PM

Better.

oldandslow 06-27-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7716963)
Better.

I really didn't think so...

I will begin with the "Independence Day" knock offs - We had Noah dragging along the alien and Noah certainly isn't as funny as Will Smith. Then we had Noah acting all Bill Puhlman as he spoke to the cowardly doctor and gave the "we are not conquered" speech. At the end we had little kid acting all Brent Spinner as his eyes opened the same time as the alien eyes.

THEN...we have this group of aliens who traveled fifteen uber zillion miles to get here and the best tech they have for scavaging is 12 year old really slow kids hooked up to big slugs. Kind of like "Signs" where the aliens traveled fifteen uber zillion miles and couldn't open the cellar door.

THEN...I am supposed to belive the biggest bad ass on the show is, in real life, a "culinary artist." And that he can turn Spam into fillet mignon. Kind of like all the "best chef" shows on the food channel.

Finally, eye candy is drug away by 12 year old Zombies so that we can begin the soap opera triangle between Noah's son, the soon-to-be rescued eye candy, and former culinary artist's brother's sex slave. Much like every day time soap on television.

Yeah, last nite was all good :).

frankotank 06-27-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 7711102)
I hope this doesn't turn into a soap opera with aliens as an occasional plot device.

my thoughts exactly.
since the critics are praising it....I'm prepared to hate it. seems like it always works out that way for me. critics hate it.....I love it. guess I just have bad taste.

kcxiv 06-27-2011 06:52 PM

so far its decent, for a summer show, i am ok with it. ill give it some episodes to find its groove. We will see.

notorious 06-27-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 7717365)
I really didn't think so...

:).

Trying to "Glass half-full it". There isn't hardly any good Sci-Fi now days.

oldandslow 06-28-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7718839)
Trying to "Glass half-full it". There isn't hardly any good Sci-Fi now days.

I know...

It truly is a dying genre on TV. And that, imo, is unfortunate.

keg in kc 06-28-2011 09:08 AM

HBO needs to do something science fiction.

Dunit35 06-28-2011 09:13 AM

I watched a majority of this show and it hasn't sucked me into it yet. I dig alien science fiction stuff too.

blaise 06-28-2011 10:45 PM

Just watched the second episode- it wasn't good. Whoever it was that said the music was bad is right. It's so melodramatic in every scene. And every scene seems over-directed. Like when they walk across the gym I feel like all the background actors are reacting like, "Cue! Pass the bucket from you to him now!"
And the guy's youngest son is annoying.
During the whole show I feel like I'm watching actors work and not real people.
Why is the school considered secure? Because they found it without the enemy in it? Now it's secure enough to teach classes and have people walk around in broad daylight? If the aliens are that inept how did they take over the planet already?

I don't know if I'll keep watching if next week isn't better.

notorious 06-29-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7720767)
Why is the school considered secure? Because they found it without the enemy in it? Now it's secure enough to teach classes and have people walk around in broad daylight? If the aliens are that inept how did they take over the planet already?

I don't know if I'll keep watching if next week isn't better.

This.

There is no sense of terror.

007 06-29-2011 04:37 PM

When does TNT put up this weeks stream? I missed it this week.

ozarkchief 06-29-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7721795)
This.

There is no sense of terror.

It reminds me of Jericho..."The world's about to be obliterated...let's have a picnic!"

I set the dvr to record the series before watching. I undid that about halfway through the first episode.

bevischief 06-29-2011 06:35 PM

After watching all 3 episodes a second time it is growing on me. Hope it does start picking the pace up.

milkman 07-03-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7721986)
After watching all 3 episodes a second time it is growing on me. Hope it does start picking the pace up.

I finally got around to watching the second episode this morning, and I am still totally and completely underwhelmed.

keg in kc 07-03-2011 01:42 PM

Hasn't done anything for me through an episode and a half. I expected better, the way the early reviews read.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-03-2011 01:52 PM

Not a bad show.

ShowtimeSBMVP 07-03-2011 08:52 PM

Alot better tonight by far.

Deberg_1990 07-03-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7728334)
Hasn't done anything for me through an episode and a half. I expected better, the way the early reviews read.

I just cant get into TNT shows. To me they are all just bland and meh.....like a typical CBS type of drama show.

notorious 07-04-2011 10:32 AM

Better, but still far from very good.

keg in kc 07-04-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7728825)
I just cant get into TNT shows. To me they are all just bland and meh.....like a typical CBS type of drama show.

That's been my reaction to Falling Skies so far. It's very CBS-ish. Crappy music, crappy post-production look, crappy forced drama. I'm still watching, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-04-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7729399)
That's been my reaction to Falling Skies so far. It's very CBS-ish. Crappy music, crappy post-production look, crappy forced drama. I'm still watching, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

LMAO

Didn't CBS give us these classics:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z4Lr-64l9m0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1WqazleR3FE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious 07-04-2011 06:10 PM

It's getting good ratings:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...tings-win.html

TNT's post-alien-invasion drama "Falling Skies" just became the biggest cable series launch of 2011 -- though it still didn't come close to matching 2010 winner, "Rizzoli & Isles."

The Steven Spielberg-produced series, starring "ER" veteran Noah Wyle, brought in 5.91 million viewers over the course of its two-hour premiere, according to Neilsen. That makes it the most-watched cable premiere of the year -- and the highest cable premiere ratings since "Rizzoli" debuted to 7.6 million on the same network in July, 2010.

"Skies" managed to do well in the adults 18-49, grabbing 2.6 million in the demo.

"The enormous success of 'Falling Skies' demonstrates what can happen when you partner with the best people in the business and give them what they need to do their very best work," said executive vice president and head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies Michael Wright. "This certainly bodes well for the possibility of the show being renewed for a second season."

kcxiv 07-04-2011 06:19 PM

I like it. I will keep watching. Its got a little to much "drama" in it, but thats how you keep ratings. I am ok with it.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-04-2011 06:28 PM

The aliens look reeruned.

bevischief 07-04-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROR (Post 7729709)
The aliens look reeruned.

What happened last night? Haven't watched my DVR yet.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-04-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7729731)

I'm not a regular viewer.

notorious 07-04-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 7729731)

A lot of mello music with a ton of generic dialogue thrown in.

Oh, there is 2-3 minutes of action, too.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-04-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7729754)
A lot of mello music with a ton of generic dialogue thrown in.

Oh, there is 2-3 minutes of action, too.

I don't care much for the lead actor. He's never really done much for me.

Molitoth 07-04-2011 07:07 PM

I don't hate it yet, but it hasn't hooked me like the good shows would have.

notorious 07-04-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 7729764)
I don't hate it yet, but it hasn't hooked me like the good shows would have.

Your avatar suggests an excellent taste in television programming.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-04-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7729771)
Your avatar suggests an excellent taste in television programming.

Indeed.

morphius 07-04-2011 07:31 PM

so far the show has been very bland, they don't do a very good job of endearing you to any of the characters.

notorious 07-04-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 7729792)
so far the show has been very bland, they don't do a very good job of endearing you to any of the characters.

None of them are flawed. It makes for a seriously boring group of people with very little conflict.

Battlestar Galactica did an excellent job of using human flaws to really help the audience relate to the characters. It also makes the show a whole lot more interesting.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-04-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7729828)
None of them are flawed. It makes for a seriously boring group of people with very little conflict.

Battlestar Galactica did an excellent job of using human flaws to really help the audience relate to the characters. It also makes the show a whole lot more interesting.

On one hand, making Starbuck a woman disappointed me.

On the other hand, I'd totally do her.

notorious 07-04-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROR (Post 7729854)
On one hand, making Starbuck a woman disappointed me.

On the other hand, I'd totally do her.

Yes and Yes.

I stopped watching after 5-6 episodes back in 04', but just started over again since BBC has picked up the series.

It is pretty damn good, but Dirk Benedict will always rule as THE real Starbuck.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-04-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7729862)
Yes and Yes.

I stopped watching after 5-6 episodes back in 04', but just started over again since BBC has picked up the series.

It is pretty damn good, but Dirk Benedict will always rule as THE real Starbuck.

Word.

morphius 07-04-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7729828)

I don't know, I'd say that they are all flawed, just in boring ways. I mean, we have a dad so worried about his son that he risks leaving his youngest son without a family by always taking his older son with him into battle. You have the leader of the group who can't seem to worry about anything other than the military and following orders from above.

Jawshco 07-14-2011 12:38 AM

Just finished up watching all the episodes for this show on my DVR.

IDK... Stephen Weber's character is pretty screwed up, and the not too subtle implications between him and Noah Wiley's deceased wife are pretty messed up.

I like the idea of the harnesses. That's pretty freaky. Especially since they only use kids (similar to something that worked really well in Torchwood: Childern of Earth) And the way they kill the aliens through the mouth like that... Dang! That's not a place I'd be wanting to stick my hand. Although, I suppose there could be worse places... I also like the psycho cook!

There is definitely a Walking Dead feel to this show, although I don't think it's nearly as good as TWD.

It isn't the best SciFi show out there, but it's not all bad either. I'll probably keep watching it because my wife loves the Librarian, and Noah Wiley seems to be playing pretty much a more grizzled version of the same character in this show.

unlurking 07-14-2011 05:28 AM

Still watching myself. Keep threatening to stop, but I'll probably watch the next one as well.

Not sure how I feel about the whole "nanny" species twist they're trying to throw in now. Wondering if the skidders are actually a slave race to the invaders.

blaise 07-14-2011 06:37 AM

It's pretty bad. The characters are all more cliches than people. And you can almost guess exactly what the next line will be before they say them.
If someone approaches the military leader you know the next 40 seconds are going to be, "We gotta do it my way. I'm the leader here. Grumble grumble."

When the doctor comes on screen you know you're going to get a little wisdom on retaining our humanity and pragmatic guidance.

When the kid shows up you know it's time for schlockey sentimantality.

notorious 07-14-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7747757)
It's pretty bad. The characters are all more cliches than people. And you can almost guess exactly what the next line will be before they say them.
If someone approaches the military leader you know the next 40 seconds are going to be, "We gotta do it my way. I'm the leader here. Grumble grumble."

When the doctor comes on screen you know you're going to get a little wisdom on retaining our humanity and pragmatic guidance.

When the kid shows up you know it's time for schlockey sentimantality.

This.